PDA

View Full Version : Paint to Barrel Match

TStites
06-14-2006, 04:50 AM
Ok I keep hearing that paint to barrel is one key to accurate shooting. If the paint is in a box, and paint changes as it gets older, how do you know what paint to get?

When practicing should you buy good paint. because if you buy practice paint you really don't know how you are doing if the balls are not flying the same way they are when you buy good paint to play with.

I have tried three different brands all the same caliber, none of them seem to fit the barrel. One ball fits the next falls write out. Does any one have a solution for this and is it good to practice with what you will be shooting on the field or are practice balls better

vikingshadow
06-14-2006, 06:05 AM
If I bought paint at the field, I tested it with my barrel before I bought it. Of course, with barrel kits now, I just look for roundness, evenness, and what kind of fill it has because it's pretty easy to match up with a kit. The way I match paint is to see if the majority of the paint fits snuggly, then go up one size.

I prefer to have a little larger bore so that I won't get barrel breaks. This is a cause for much debate that never gets solved though. I feel the only thing you lose with a little larger barrel is efficiency, while others believe it's accuracy that you lose. I did a test last summer with a little larger barrel and accuracy wasn't affected, except very slightly if at all. I lost out on some efficiency, but that didn't matter to me.

The "one ball fitting, the other falls out" sounds pretty normal. What I do is reach into the bag and try about 5 or 6 different balls from different areas in the bag. If they mainly fit decently, then it's a good fit. I already told you though that after I find a good fit, I go one size larger just to stop barrel breaks.

I ALWAYS buy the same paint - to play and to practice. I like knowing that my paint is going where I want it to, and I figure that you should always practice like you play. Having a paint sponsorship helped though, as I know a lot of people who buy cheap stuff to practice with because it's all they can afford. However, if you're working on accuracy, what good is it to use crappy paint that doesn't fly well, or breaks in your hopper or barrel and causes you to have to stop to clean things up before you can practice more?

I never look at the size of the caliber written on the box. I just test it with my barrels, because inevitably, it's always going to say .68 caliber, when it could be .679 all the way up to .689.

timbertiger20
06-14-2006, 06:19 AM
I gotta say it.........I didn't believe Vike when he said this the first time. I bought my kit and tried sizing the balls. I got virtually no difference in accuracy. Maybe a tiny bit in efficiency loss. If I had it to do all over again I'd say a .691 is almost perfect. Remember this about kit's. It's great to size your own paint, but at one time I sized down to a .685 when I first had the kit and I grabbed a teammate's pod of paint. I blew up 50 or 60 balls straight and then cleaned the entire marker up. Realize in a borg that's a 2 second burst :( It blew liquid paint back up into my hopper! It's just not worth it IMO

TStites
06-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the Advise :)

druid
06-14-2006, 09:29 AM
CLICK ME FOR THE PAINT TO BORE MATCH CHART (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/paintc.html)

that should give you an idea of what you are dealing with...