PDA

View Full Version : whats the best gun to buy in the $250 range

fish3191
06-13-2006, 11:18 AM
right now i have the pirahna gti eforce(durable but not the greatest) and the spyder fenix(its screwed up) and i was wondering waht would be a good gun to buy that is in the two hundreds? I mostly rec play in the forests around my area.

vikingshadow
06-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Well, there are Ions, Wraths, Promasters (might be too expensive for that price range though.) Not to mention the plethera of Spyders that fit there - the new MR1, the Electra, the Pilot, etc.

You might get lucky and find a used higher end gun like a Shocker or a Timmy or an older angel in that price range as well. If you can't get one of these, then I would go with either the Ion, the Wrath or the Promaster for your price range.

Hossy
06-13-2006, 12:05 PM
woah....guess what??

theres an Ion in the B/S/T section here
check that out
(p.s. im selling it)

fish3191
06-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Well, there are Ions, Wraths, Promasters (might be too expensive for that price range though.) Not to mention the plethera of Spyders that fit there - the new MR1, the Electra, the Pilot, etc.

You might get lucky and find a used higher end gun like a Shocker or a Timmy or an older angel in that price range as well. If you can't get one of these, then I would go with either the Ion, the Wrath or the Promaster for your price range.

Do you know where i might be able to find a used shocker, timmy, or older angel in this price range. Im trying to figure out where to buy one

Ace24
06-13-2006, 01:32 PM
E-bay...

Haha, but I don't like ION's... I think they are good for the money. But The gun is to cheaply built for me. I am a woodsball player and I prefer an all metal gun that is easy to clean. (Unlike the ION). The Fenix I have is perfect for me and shoots faster than any ION out there. I also spend $180 on it with an egg on ebay when the gun first came out. I would honestly say, for woods ball, get a Tippman A-5 with an RT or get a MR1 or MR2. Those are, for the money, the best woodsball guns you can get. ION's in my opinion arn't good woodsball guns, or for anything but speedball.

vikingshadow
06-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Do you know where i might be able to find a used shocker, timmy, or older angel in this price range. Im trying to figure out where to buy one

Ebay sells them quite often - you can look around on forums like these or **gasp** BSNation...I didn't just say that! LOL - they do have their usefulness....

You can buy a new shocker for about 450-550 right now, so a used (stock) gun shouldn't be too difficult to fiind. Same goes for older model Timmy's and Angels. I bought my Angel last year for around 300.00. They're out there, you just have to find them!

Hossy
06-13-2006, 02:06 PM
again i got an ion....check that out

But i suggest the old angels...there nice and find a guy whos quitting or something theyll have cheap prices

Frat
06-13-2006, 02:12 PM
ION's in my opinion arn't good woodsball guns, or for anything but speedball.

I totally disagree on several points. With the Blackcell body and stock from Spec Ops it is THE woods ball gun. it is lightweight and short which means it is easy to carry and manuever. It is also very gass efficient. The tippmans are none of those particularly with the RT. The only fault it it is not field strippable but it is a sealed unit so nothing can easily get in. Most of the times that I have had to field strip my Spyders were do to stomething getting into the guns and causing prolems.

Your Fenix should not be to hard to fix but they are too flashy for the woods. One of the things you can do is get an MR1 and put your e-frame on it. The MR1 works very well with an e-frame. If you are going to buy something with the intention of modifying it just go ahead and get an Ion. You can not mod a Spyder out for as cheap as you can buy an Ion. I paid $172.49 for mine off ebay new in box.

Ace24
06-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Spec Opps actually has mods for it now? No ****... Hmm... well I have held an ION before, but the whole plastic thing kinda made me wonder if the gun was really worth the money.

My friend is willing to sell me a almost fully upgraded Autococker Trilogy PRO for $160 and he includes all the stock parts, face mask, gloves, CO2, and two hoppers (one e-hopper and one gravity)

Is that a better gun then my Fenix? For upgrades and stuff?

ShadowX
06-13-2006, 05:15 PM
ION's are great guns, the Plastic has NO weakness what so ever, unless you go to drop it off a building, then it might break. Lol.... I have one and I am pretty rough on my equipment and it has given me NO problems..

Honestly dude, If you are hard enough on your stuff that you are worrying about breaking the ION's plastic shell, Then you should NOT be playing paintball..

Get an ION.. with a few simple ups, (barrel, feed neck, QEV) you will not be disappointed..

Ace24
06-13-2006, 05:24 PM
I just dont trust plastic, thats all. I know metal wont break and I am not sure about plastic, thats why I asked. For example, if I am playing a scenario game, my gun is going to be put through all kinds of unusual punishment, so I was questioning it. Aparently the ION's are good though... even if they do shoot only 17bps

big_daddy_d
06-13-2006, 05:25 PM
E-bay...

The Fenix I have is perfect for me and shoots faster than any ION out there. :dodgy:
Not to bust your balls but vid or shens I say. IMO there is no way that a fenix can compare to the ION as far as shooting and such...

ShadowX
06-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Aparently the ION's are good though... even if they do shoot only 17bps

LOLROFLCOPTER!! Only 17 BPS?! Let's see your Fenix do 17 BPS as consistent and accurate as an ION..

Ace24
06-13-2006, 05:29 PM
It does... With the compressed air I had hooked up to it, I was outshooting my Egg hopper. It was consistant too, I kept chronographing it every game and shot 10 rounds off to see how much change there was.

Ace24
06-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Pluss all I said was it SHOOTS faster, I didnt say it out preforms an ION in every aspect.

I have a question though... should I buy my friends fully upgraded Trilogy PRO for $160? I mean the gun is roughly $200 stock and new.

vikingshadow
06-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Do you have an aftermarket board in it? If not, then it can only go 14 bps. That's what spyders were capped at until this year. Never trust the red chronos...it told me I was shooting 24 bps last year - and I was capped at 15 bps with a tourney lock on!

By the way, even with a z board, an Egg is very inconsistant at speeds higher than 17 bps - I know because several of my friends and I have them and have tested it on uncapped ramping several times.

As far as the Trilogy goes, I'm torn with them. The whole enclosed front block thing kind of throws me...you can buy a used cocker for around that price that's a heck of a lot better gun in my opinion...

Frat
06-13-2006, 05:38 PM
You realize that the only plastic parts are the body which wraps the actual Metalgun the grips and the reg cover. It essentially has only one moving part "the bolt" and the only way for debris to get inside is for it to go down the barrel or down the feedneck from the hopper. I like Spyders and would be hard pressed to get rid of my MR1 but the ION is is capable of matching anything. With a Virtue board or a Blackheart board you can hit 30 BPS with a freak or pipe kit they are extremely accurate. What more could you want?

big_daddy_d
06-13-2006, 08:20 PM
What more could you want?
The ion to come stock with BOB for one, and heat seeking missiles...

bamf-hacker
06-13-2006, 08:30 PM
I say Ion... It is a great gun that you can upgrade to your hearts content.

Even if the Fenix can shoot fast, No eyes = chops. Not saying the Fenix is a bad gun at all. But if the choice is a Fenix or an Ion, the winner goes to Ion.

I have a very up'd Ion that performs amazingly and is super efficient. I get about 1050 shots off of a 45/45. Here is my Video (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=3768) check it out for yourself.

HacKeR

druid
06-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Ion

Sandman_Bravo
06-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Get a Spyder!

lil_riley_06
08-23-2006, 02:11 PM
ive got a nexion, ill let you have it with a 16 inch freak, 20 oz co2 anti syphon, superfly bolt and egg 2 with z board for 175.

lil_riley_06
08-23-2006, 02:15 PM
and no offense, but i dont trust a gun which has a ruber band as a major part. Sorry. A buddy of mine got one, it was a pile of explicitively deleted. Got rid of it quick luckily and ended up with a led angel.

Jimmyd24
08-23-2006, 03:50 PM
promastterrrrrr, only 250, ramping up to 30bps, eyes, dual regulator, good trigger, great board, good feedneck, more or less an upgraded ion, only 250

TheRedBarron
08-23-2006, 03:55 PM
promastterrrrrr, only 250, ramping up to 30bps, eyes, dual regulator, good trigger, great board, good feedneck, more or less an upgraded ion, only 250
How is it an upgraded Ion? The operation is completly different...

Jimmyd24
08-23-2006, 05:33 PM
upgraded ion not in the operation but in the ability it has, ion 17bps, promaster 30bps, comes with a better stock bolt than ion (delrin), comes with better feedneck, comes with better regulator, comes with better trigger, i was more talking performance not operation

conradl
08-23-2006, 09:14 PM
yea get the ICD promater it is 250 and I have only heard good things.

vikingshadow
08-24-2006, 04:50 AM
Ever notice how these threads ALWAYS turn into either "all guns are greater than Ions," or "Ions are greater than all guns threads?" I have some thoughts, and they all come from experience with these guns by the way...

The ion is lighter, doesn't usually come broken in the box (had a friend order two of them and they both were down when we opened the box although I know this isn't all that common, but the occurances seem higher with Promasters if you were to read the threads on various forums), operates at a lower pressure and is a bit more efficient, and the Promaster is also more expensive than the ion - last I saw. The Ion reg is one of the better stock regs on the market right now and in fact has replaced the max-flo as the standard stock regulator on all SP guns, plus the profile of the Ion is much tighter. No one shoots 30 bps without help and a super fast loader, and the bolt isn't all that bad in the ion. With the exception of the trigger and feedneck that you mentioned, it doesn't really out perform the ion in any way.

However, I will say this - the promaster is a good gun, but I don't think any better than the Ion, or the Wrath.

Oh, and I'm not a fan of the Ion, but in my opinion, of the three I'd take it over the Promaster and Wrath most any day simply for the fact that SP customer service is really decent (in my experience) and the lightness, tightness, upgradeability and versatility of the Ion is greater than that of the Promaster and Wrath.