PDA

View Full Version : 360 possible tank?

marvin-martian
01-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Does anyone else remember a time when a console was launched about a year before its competition's systems for that "generation?" And when the two competing companies released their systems the next year they crushed the earlier release?

I hate to bring this up but...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/tonyxbologna/dc.jpg

Am I the only one who sees this happening again?

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 05:59 PM
only in japan... but otherwise xbox 360 was a huge hit in america... numbers dont lie. btw dreamcast was sega, thats why no1 wanted it

the thing that bothers me is that alot of people hate microsoft for being some huge evil corporation or sumthing... so they get playstations... but tell me:

who annouced that it was a possibility for next gen games to have integral systems that only allow them to be played on the original system?

who put anti-piracy software on cd's without letting the consumer know?

03TiburonGT
01-02-2006, 06:01 PM
only in japan... but otherwise xbox 360 was a huge hit in america... numbers dont lie. btw dreamcast was sega, thats why no1 wanted it

plus the only real game was like crazy taxi, the rest were junk.

marvin-martian
01-02-2006, 06:03 PM
only because the sega saturn before it was bad, much like how people arent looking forward to the nintendo rev because the gamecube was bad. the dreamcast could of competed with the rest if people didnt lose trust in sega.

I don't care what you say. Sega Dreamcast shouldn't have died like it did.
It was a way better system than ps2. Sega lost a lot of developers (leading to fewer games) with the failure of Sega Saturn.

Think about it... a $200 release price, 4 controller slots, one of the first console-internet attempts(SegaNet), the handheld memory card-minigames, and Crazy Taxi.
Their only real drawback was that they didn't have enough games being created. That can crush any system, easily.

WhatThaSmurf
01-02-2006, 06:03 PM
sega went down hill before the dreamcast and couldn't redeem themselves with anything anyways

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 06:05 PM
sega went down hill before the dreamcast and couldn't redeem themselves with anything anyways
qft... and btw sonic sucked...

marvin-martian
01-02-2006, 06:07 PM
sonics greatness put me in awe

xtraking
01-02-2006, 06:12 PM
qft... and btw sonic sucked...
you know what, YOU SUCK

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 06:12 PM
sonics greatness put me in awe
who wants to play as a rolling blue animal who's arch enemy is a fat bald dude (who looks exactly like the 500 first people to buy the game, who live in their mothers basement)

xtraking
01-02-2006, 06:14 PM
who wants to play as a rolling blue animal who's arch enemy is a fat bald dude (who looks exactly like the 500 first people to buy the game, who live in their mothers basement)
millions

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 06:15 PM
mario was way cooler than sonic

Xecutiv3
01-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Sega was putting out quite a few consoles at that time and the publishers couldn't trust them anymore so Dreamcast was doomed before it launched, i never played the console system, im not saying it sucked, its just that the big names didnt have any confidence in it. I saw the discussion with microsoft on this on G4tv. But with 360's rush release, its putting itself in a bad situation, think N64 and Gamecube, they came out early in their cycles and the later released consoles had greater superiority when it came to graphics and processing power.

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 06:20 PM
gamecube focused on the wrong aspecs. tell me, why would you change from catriges to cd's if you are going to slice the cd down to mini "omfg i lost it again" size and limit the amount you can hold on it. in addition, gamecube vs. wall... gamecube won, electronics are fragile, hamsters on wheels in a small purple box arent.

durrell
01-02-2006, 06:26 PM
All I have to say is Halo 3.

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 06:28 PM
All I have to say is Halo 3.
bungie can only "revolutionize" fps games for so long, they need to create their own genre addition to fps before someone else does.

Xecutiv3
01-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Cartridges were fairly bulky and kinda hard to store, you'd have to buy those plastic boxes to keep them in or find a shoebox , the data on one of those little mini CDs is twice the maximum of a regular CD. But i will agree with Nintendo focusing on wrong things, their mostly Childlike games left me with a giant paperweight. Their best game was Resident Evil 4, which in all ways kicked major butt, then Sony bought the "Exclusive" rights. Too little, too late.
From what i heard about the PS3, it will suffer majorly if it doesnt change some things.

WhatThaSmurf
01-02-2006, 06:31 PM
**cough** boomerang controller**cough**

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Cartridges were fairly bulky and kinda hard to store, you'd have to buy those plastic boxes to keep them in or find a shoebox , the data on one of those little mini CDs is twice the maximum of a regular CD. But i will agree with Nintendo focusing on wrong things, their mostly Childlike games left me with a giant paperweight. Their best game was Resident Evil 4, which in all ways kicked major butt, then Sony bought the "Exclusive" rights. Too little, too late.
From what i heard about the PS3, it will suffer majorly if it doesnt change some things.
the thing that bothers me is that there is no debate over what the best fps game online for ps2 is, i like variety. i cant just play some socom all the time, which btw... still sucks compared to xbox live fps games. sony refuses to make an exclusive online service allthough theyll do it with everquest, galaxies, and planetside... if they put one of those on ps3 before an mmo is out on xbox, it could be a killer.

Xecutiv3
01-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Planetside is on its deathbed, Everquest is way over the hill, Everquest 2 wasn't as great as the first, Galaxies i know nothing of, However, i would say that Full Auto would be the best MMo for any console, no FPS, or repetitve killing, maybe

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 06:43 PM
full auto would suck, planetside wasnt widespread known, console gamers will eat it up. xbox's best mmo would be huxley. and i think after bungie makes halo 3 (and hopefully finishes the series - not hopefully cuz it sucks, but it needs to die well) they should make an rtsrpfpsmmog. thats right. real time simulated role playing first person shooter massive multiplayer online game. it should start with first encounter with the covenant, should move at a slightly accelerated rate, in a world who's charicters, weapons, and objectives change as certain objectives are completed and time moves on. basically, really choosing how to get to events that occur in the books. bungie could staff people to come up with daily objectives and charge a couple bucks a month extra for server use and pwn online for a few years. a game that always changes... people would pay a ton

Xecutiv3
01-02-2006, 06:54 PM
I for one hated Halo 2, it was the exact same thing as Halo 1, except with dual wielding and taking over vehicles, Halo 3 would have to start completely over from scratch. Its kinda funny how Microsoft released Madden hoping to be the highest selling game, it had 3 different modes (tournament, francise, and exhibition, or something like that) and got the lowest review out of the titles, 7.0/10. Although Gears of War looks promising enough, will enough people have 360's to play it?

xtraking
01-02-2006, 06:57 PM
and this my friends, is what you call, obsession. Say it with me, ob-ses-ion

marvin-martian
01-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Is there room in this world for 3 console systems? Ps1 and N64 squeezed out Sega Saturn, Dreamcast failed after Ps2 and Gamecube came around. Even Gamecube didn't do so well against Ps2 and Xbox. I'm sure I'm not even going to try to get a new console untill they're way cheaper. Once the other 2 systems are out they're all going to have to lower prices to gain that edge over the competition. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ps3 or the Revolution have an aggressively low release price. Untill then I'm just going to have to enjoy the awesomeness that is Civilization 4.

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 06:59 PM
im working on it, but essentially, the player wouldnt just play one charicter, they would play as many, giving it the appearance of an mmo because so many people are in a server, but really only a few places are hosting battles. its all smoke and mirrors. i could explain it in a pm if you want.

Xecutiv3
01-02-2006, 07:05 PM
PC's holding its own territory when it comes to RTS's and FPS's, but what will happen when the Revolution comes out with their controller, or as most of you would put it "Remote Controller". One thing i noticed when they showed Under-the-Hood of the 360, there was 3 processors, and non of them had heat-sinks or fans, will it hold up to the later end of the console cycle when games are putting the squeeze on the systems

marvin-martian
01-02-2006, 07:08 PM
the 360 cant hold up to the games now. its very common for them to crash. im just waiting for them to blue-screen

Xecutiv3
01-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Haha, yes, the Bue Screen of Death would be the end of the system and start of the Recall
I'd just get one to sell it for $800-900 and upgrade my gun

Xecutiv3
01-02-2006, 07:12 PM
*double post*

marvin-martian
01-02-2006, 07:12 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/23/users-report-xbox-360-crashing-like-mad/

QAZ123
01-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Now there was one game on Dreamcast that came out that actually didn't end! It was a japanese game with a japanese name. It came out only on dreamcast. I can't remember the storyline but at the end of the game the last guy you fight wasn't even a main guy or anything. It was almost like a "to be continued" type deal! Then the dreamcast died and the second game came out on xbox.

Anybody know what I'm talking about! Something Ishu.....

JB.

Xecutiv3
01-02-2006, 07:24 PM
ummm Onimusha?
I cant even get broadband out in my area, so Xbox Live and PS Online are basically useless, but Nintendo and its Wi fi look nice

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 03:37 AM
ummm Onimusha?
I cant even get broadband out in my area, so Xbox Live and PS Online are basically useless, but Nintendo and its Wi fi look nice
you can always get satalite.

Xecutiv3
01-03-2006, 08:38 AM
I tried satellite, got an average of 12kb, compared to the 45kb i usually get with 56k, $100 a month for half a year... it was the worst decision my bro made, network wise. However once in a while it would get above 100kb, for 30 mins or so, but it was worse than dial up in the long run, by far, BTW it was DirectWay

durrell
01-03-2006, 10:15 AM
You guys lost me..I'm undecided as to what I want right now. I wanted an XB360 but I just kind of feel like PS3 will be much more for the money, and not to mention my favorite game of all time, Gran Turismo, is on Playstation and GT5...wow is probably going to be insane.

spyderpaintball
01-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Xbox 360 proboly wont tank becuase of two reasons. Cost and Microsoft.

As much as people want to say that PS3 and Revolution will cost signifigantly less than the 360 are wrong. With the componts each are adding into their respective systems the prices will be relitivly on par or maybe more expencive than the 360.

Microsoft has the money itself to get the game developers on it's side. One of the biggest problems Sega had was not enough of the multi-platform games were realsed on the Dreamcast. THis is the same problem with the Revolution. Unless they start publishing the big name multi-platform games they will be the ones tanking. An game breaking controller will do nothing if there arnt any interesting games to play.

The end result is that most people will buy one of the 3 consoles for the games they like. Since most games will be multi-platform it will come down to the special or one-platform games which is either:

sony- rpg or mmorpg
360- FPS
Revo- kid games

These are only generalization but you get the picture. With the Revolution and PS3 not out yet with prices the my whole picture may be off but we will see.

I personally picked up a 360 over the weekend becuase of the reasons stated above. I like Xbox games over Sony games.

Xecutiv3
01-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Actually, the Revolution will handle FPS's smoother and better than analog sticks or mice, Ubisoft is gonna push and shove for a FPS title for the Revo i hear, but im not going to be one of the ones waiting in line for a Rev, just to see what theyre gonna do with their titles and how the system handles

>>>>>This is where the PS3 will fall ---> http://www.betadot.com/sony-no-drm-in-playstation-3/2005-328/
That means, No rentals (unless they do the 7day disk thingy where the CD becomes corrupt after 7 or so days, meaning high prices for renting) No more "Hey can i borrow Killzone?", more like "Hey can i borrow your PS3 and Killzone?"

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 01:07 PM
companies will have to try to hard to work around their stupid controler... you dont build a game for a controller, you build a controller for a game.

aodsnyper
01-03-2006, 01:13 PM
plus the only real game was like crazy taxi, the rest were junk.

don't forget about Soul Caliber...

justin

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
x, some kids from my school created a parabolic antena that was able to brodcast wireless internet like 50 miles or somthing, you should look into that...

defensive77end
01-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Actually, the Revolution will handle FPS's smoother and better than analog sticks or mice, Ubisoft is gonna push and shove for a FPS title for the Revo i hear, but im not going to be one of the ones waiting in line for a Rev, just to see what theyre gonna do with their titles and how the system handles

>>>>>This is where the PS3 will fall ---> http://www.betadot.com/sony-no-drm-in-playstation-3/2005-328/
That means, No rentals (unless they do the 7day disk thingy where the CD becomes corrupt after 7 or so days, meaning high prices for renting) No more "Hey can i borrow Killzone?", more like "Hey can i borrow your PS3 and Killzone?"

Rumor was proved false by sony. http://www.joystiq.com/2005/11/15/sony-responds-to-playstation-3-drm-rumor/

Apparently comparision of the 360 and dreamcast is not a new thing: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145154&did=1

Interesting article...

marvin-martian
01-07-2006, 11:30 PM
You guys lost me..I'm undecided as to what I want right now. I wanted an XB360 but I just kind of feel like PS3 will be much more for the money, and not to mention my favorite game of all time, Gran Turismo, is on Playstation and GT5...wow is probably going to be insane.
its called vision gran turismo and the movies look nice