PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista CPP

durrell
06-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Anyone taking part in the Vista CPP? (Customer Preview Program) I am and I must say it's pretty freaking sweet. Nice and clean. They pretty much ripped Mozilla off to make IE7, it's identical to Firefox with tabbed browsing and the search bar in the top right corner..lots of nice features though. You guys should check it out. Download page is down right now due to high traffic but if you can get in, it's free for a year :thumbup:

Nader
06-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Let me guess? It looks just like OSX? lol ;) MS copycats. :D
Maybe I'll dual boot when there's support for it....

Took MS like 4 years to catch up with OSX...and it's still probably full of bugs. :dodgy:

Allright allright, I won't judge it before I see it and hear reviews about it....but seriosly, it took them long enough to make a new OS....right?

Skidds
06-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Anyone taking part in the Vista CPP? (Customer Preview Program) I am and I must say it's pretty freaking sweet. Nice and clean. They pretty much ripped Mozilla off to make IE7, it's identical to Firefox with tabbed browsing and the search bar in the top right corner..lots of nice features though. You guys should check it out. Download page is down right now due to high traffic but if you can get in, it's free for a year :thumbup:
They still copy everything from Apple. Vista is a copy of Macs OSX. PCworld magazine reviewed a copy of Vista and said consumers will be disapointed, they said the wow factor was not there. I like XP... it sounds like Vista will just be a different looking OS, like ME was to 98. Im sticking to my Mac with OS 10.4. Windows is so slow they just got done copying tabbed browsing??? OMG!!! Avant Browser had tabbed browsing 4 years ago. Microsoft is lost....!! :(

claustrophobia9
06-09-2006, 04:55 AM
i dont really care if they are behind or not the fact is that my pc has less power than your mac, but the simple difference is that i can play any game i want, you cant. sony has shown that even if you have a "better" product, the true success comes with public support. apple simply doesnt have it going as well as microsoft does. if you will recall a longggg time ago, when vhs first came to be. many companies had different types of tapes, vhs was one of them.... but sony had the best. their tapes could hold more, the picture was clearer, etc. but they made one mistake. they wouldnt allow anyone else to have a player, theirs was the only one, and it came in at around 1000 bucks. many other companies stood by vhs because althought it wasnt as good as sony's they could use it. look what stands today. its vhs. sony has the same obstacle ahead with bluray, well see if they make the same mistake. but unti; then we can apply this knowlege to Apple, and see that they follow the same path. their lack of support may not be as extreme as sony's tapes (i really dont know what they were called back then) but it is still behind the competition, and they need to worry less being better and worry about public support if they want to survive.

durrell
06-09-2006, 09:20 AM
I agree claus..and I guess PC World must have checked out a much older version because I'm wowed by how Windows has managed to incorporate all of the user-friendly gadgets into Vista while managing to use less system resources than XP. I'm also happy they followed OSX's sidebar idea, it has several "gadgets" like the Live RSS feed, which is pretty convenient..I have mine set to CBS Sportsline. I really think alot of people will love this OS because it's so much better looking than XP, can be tweaked in pretty much every way as for as "personalization" goes, and it's much faster than XP..

I would screenshot for you guys but there must be a bug that's got screenshots effed up because I can't get them to work right..lol

Nader
06-09-2006, 10:57 AM
i dont really care if they are behind or not the fact is that my pc has less power than your mac, but the simple difference is that i can play any game i want, you cant. sony has shown that even if you have a "better" product, the true success comes with public support. apple simply doesnt have it going as well as microsoft does. if you will recall a longggg time ago, when vhs first came to be. many companies had different types of tapes, vhs was one of them.... but sony had the best. their tapes could hold more, the picture was clearer, etc. but they made one mistake. they wouldnt allow anyone else to have a player, theirs was the only one, and it came in at around 1000 bucks. many other companies stood by vhs because althought it wasnt as good as sony's they could use it. look what stands today. its vhs. sony has the same obstacle ahead with bluray, well see if they make the same mistake. but unti; then we can apply this knowlege to Apple, and see that they follow the same path. their lack of support may not be as extreme as sony's tapes (i really dont know what they were called back then) but it is still behind the competition, and they need to worry less being better and worry about public support if they want to survive.

Your blind, misguided faith amazes me. :D

And there's plenty of support for ALL games on Macs now.
Just buy Windows XP (Vista when they make support for it) and dual boot. Simple.
But I'd rather play my games native in OSX, because it runs faster, and is more stable, but for the game I just HAVE to have, I'll dual boot. I don't see where you are getting your "limited support" stuff from.
And Apple computers now actually support Digital cameras, and other accessories, better than PC's.
Compatability is built into Macs from the start, while PC users have to install software, or download drivers most of the time in order to be able to use that accessory.

But lets not turn this into another Mac Vs PC thread, even though these things always do. ;)

Back to Windows Vista: I think it's a good change for the better for Microsoft OS, it's just a little late ya know?

colonel_moo
06-09-2006, 11:04 AM
BAH! now ill have 3 OSs on my comp.

lets see if vista can stack up to linux.

Skidds
06-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Wow.... calm down.... im not putting down you or your computer. I never said macs were more powerfull, I have 2 mac laptops, but my main desktop is an Alienware Aurora running XP. I agree windows based computers are better for gaming. I like both windows and microsoft equally, but I like my mac laptop better than my previuos window laptops.... I know windows has the monopoly on computers.... microsoft ended up very sucessfull. Thats good for them :)

colonel_moo
06-09-2006, 12:44 PM
durrell, how did you burn the file as an ISO? Nero keeps telling me i cant burn an iso file larger than 2 gigs

EDIT: nevermind, i think i figured it out. instead of burning as bootable disk, i selected burn image to disk. ill let you know if it works out.

durrell
06-09-2006, 12:52 PM
durrell, how did you burn the file as an ISO? Nero keeps telling me i cant burn an iso file larger than 2 gigs

EDIT: nevermind, i think i figured it out. instead of burning as bootable disk, i selected burn image to disk. ill let you know if it works out.

I have a friend that gave me a program that let me not burn it to a DVD. It mounted it to a CD in the DVD drive and just installed that way. Let me know if you'd rather do it that way..

colonel_moo
06-09-2006, 01:06 PM
hmm, i have a problem. my DVD-ROM drive/burner didnt come stock on my computer, and thus it isnt in the boot sequence. i have no idea how to get it into the boot sequence so i can boot from it. i went into setup and the only thing it let me do in regards to the boot sequence was change the order.

claustrophobia9
06-09-2006, 04:23 PM
hmm, i have a problem. my DVD-ROM drive/burner didnt come stock on my computer, and thus it isnt in the boot sequence. i have no idea how to get it into the boot sequence so i can boot from it. i went into setup and the only thing it let me do in regards to the boot sequence was change the order.
you have to burn it as an image file (iso) it shouldnt have to be dvd, a cd-rom burner should sufice. ive ran linux and thats how u do it.

SniperX
06-09-2006, 07:36 PM
wow didnt know u got it to durrel, thought u would after i shown u my screen shot the other nite.. lol how u like it? i luv it makes life easier for me and multitasking, lets try and not make this a mac vs windows thread.. no gang fighting.. yeah.. i <3 the 3D desktop

durrell
06-10-2006, 03:38 AM
you have to burn it as an image file (iso) it shouldnt have to be dvd, a cd-rom burner should sufice. ive ran linux and thats how u do it.

File's way too big for a CD.

Moo, catch me on AIM later today and I'll hook you up with that program that doesn't require any burning..

wow didnt know u got it to durrel, thought u would after i shown u my screen shot the other nite.. lol how u like it? i luv it makes life easier for me and multitasking, lets try and not make this a mac vs windows thread.. no gang fighting.. yeah.. i <3 the 3D desktop

Yeah, I'd be contemplating it for awhile, but I talked to one of my friends who had tried the Technical Beta and he said he liked it but it wasn't worth keeping up with the builds through torrents. So, when this came out, I jumped on it. I figured there won't be many substantial changes, and even if there is it's really not that hard to reinstall it..so I went ahead and so far it's awesome..it goes to sleep and comes right back up, boots faster than XP, and runs faster than XP..what more could I ask for? :D

colonel_moo
06-10-2006, 05:26 PM
claus: its a 4 gig iso, so yes it kinda does have to be a DVD :) . i also already have it burned, the problem is my DVD-rom drive isnt in the boot sequence and i dont know how to get it there.

i also run linux. what distro do you use? im on ubuntu right now, and i love it. i love the fact that there is a console that you can pretty much control the OS through, i really wish windows would make one of those. and "apt-get" is basically my hero of the command world.

Durrell: yeah, ill try to catch you on AIM sometime. in the meantime, ill try searching google for my boot sequence problem.

spydr
06-11-2006, 12:39 AM
the true success comes with public support. apple simply doesnt have it going as well as microsoft does.
Obviously you've never ever used applecare before.Apple has the best public support in the world.Not to mention the documentation avaliable with developer tools (free).If something goes wrong in my ibook,i call apple,i get a box about a day later,put my laptop in it,call DHL back and most of the time get it picked back up that night or next mid day.It spends a day or so at apple and gets overnighted back to me,and doesnt cost a dime.

durrell
06-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Obviously you've never ever used applecare before.Apple has the best public support in the world.Not to mention the documentation avaliable with developer tools (free).If something goes wrong in my ibook,i call apple,i get a box about a day later,put my laptop in it,call DHL back and most of the time get it picked back up that night or next mid day.It spends a day or so at apple and gets overnighted back to me,and doesnt cost a dime.

I have to agree with spydr, Apple has the BEST customer service of any company (technology and non-technology) that I have EVER dealt with. They sent a free box overnight to fix my iPod and I got it back 2 days later..from California..

claustrophobia9
06-11-2006, 09:35 AM
it may be the best customer support but i never said ANYTHING about customer support. i said public support. as in the public supports their products. if you want to argue use valid sorces. the fact is that more people have windows than a macintosh os. therefore microsoft has public support. if you were to read what i wrote properly you would know that i wasn't saying microsoft has better customer support. everyone knows they dont, especailly xbox live users. (it takes like a 4 hour call to cancel an account)

don't twist my words. ever.

and my bad about the iso, i figured it could fit. its alot bigger than i though

and i use knoppix cuz it gets fprot (awsome antispyware) free, so i use it to do all of my computer cleanup

colonel_moo
06-11-2006, 01:28 PM
wow, you can do computer cleaup in linux? it must use an NTFS filesystem. thats pretty weird, most linux distros use FAT32.

colonel_moo
06-11-2006, 01:59 PM
ok, i figured it out. i went into BIOS and disabled my oringinal CD drive, and now i can boot from the DVD. right now im backing some stuff, then im gonna delete linux and try to install Vista on my linux partition for now, cause i wanna keep XP, but i donno if by deleting linux, i lose my dual boot program, so cross your fingers!

claustrophobia9
06-11-2006, 02:37 PM
did you try using alcohol 120% for a cd/dvd virtual drive?
thats how i run knoppix

colonel_moo
06-11-2006, 04:27 PM
well i have another program that i can mount images to virtual drives on, but i donno if i can do it when windows isnt even booted up. my problem is now the installer doesnt seem to want to work. it starts to boot the iso, it gets to the part where it says "install vista" and pretty much crashes from there.

spydr
06-11-2006, 05:19 PM
You should of said popularity,not public support,what did you think we would picture when you say public support.
I have to agree with spydr,

Call the press me and durrell are in agreeance.lol.
On a sidenote,i re-read your post and it basically doesn't say anything.How is apple not letting their computers do something? They can run both mac os and windows.So in reality its microsofts computers that cant do everything.

claustrophobia9
06-11-2006, 05:22 PM
You should of said popularity,not public support,what did you think we would picture when you say public support.

Call the press me and durrell are in agreeance.lol. populatity doesn't reflect what i was trying to say. i said public support and thats what i meant.

colonel_moo
06-12-2006, 10:53 AM
They can run both mac os and windows.So in reality its microsofts computers that cant do everything.

actually, its apple's conversion to intel chipsets that allows them to run both mac and windows, and by doing so they also open the door for PC users to use mac OS (which my friend actually does... he runs windows XP, Vista, OSX, and linux (ubuntu) on the same machine).

spydr
06-12-2006, 11:23 AM
actually, its apple's conversion to intel chipsets that allows them to run both mac and windows, and by doing so they also open the door for PC users to use mac OS (which my friend actually does... he runs windows XP, Vista, OSX, and linux (ubuntu) on the same machine).
I know,i was just saying that now apples computers can run whatever flavor of operating system you want (for the most part).

DFSniper
06-12-2006, 12:07 PM
wow, i thought i was the only one that owns a ubuntu cd... (havent used it yet tho!)

colonel_moo
06-12-2006, 05:52 PM
haha, i have at least 60 ubuntu CDs... i just ordered them to see if they would actually send them, and they did!

have you tried the live CD yet sniper? if you boot with the live CD, you can try ubuntu without actually reformating your computer. try it, you won't be disappointed! and if you have any questions you can either ask me, or search www.ubuntuforums.org, the linux user's bible (or at least ubuntu users)

SniperX
06-12-2006, 09:47 PM
yeah they sent me around 50 of those ubunta cd's and im running it on a P3 rig to mess around with it and it seems great, i also have SUSE but havint really messed around with it.. but i <3 Vista even if i have beta 1 and my internet is to darn slow right now to download beta 2 like Durrel.

DFSniper
06-13-2006, 12:04 AM
naw, i havent tried it yet. i got it from the computer tech at school, and it found its way into the back of my cd case. might try it tonight.

durrell
06-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Well I've put Vista through the paces for the most part, everything from CD burning to surfing multiple IE windows and running multiple programs at the same time and I must say it is FAR better than XP. Only problems I'm having are with Trillian (AIM program won't run at all so I have to use Trillian, and it doesn't mess up with Yahoo, it only freezes and disconnects with AIM) and for some reason I can't get screenshots to work, and sometimes iTunes goes black for a second and I click and it comes back..but for a Beta, I think it's really nice..

claustrophobia9
06-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Well I've put Vista through the paces for the most part, everything from CD burning to surfing multiple IE windows and running multiple programs at the same time and I must say it is FAR better than XP. Only problems I'm having are with Trillian (AIM program won't run at all so I have to use Trillian, and it doesn't mess up with Yahoo, it only freezes and disconnects with AIM) and for some reason I can't get screenshots to work, and sometimes iTunes goes black for a second and I click and it comes back..but for a Beta, I think it's really nice..
can you get on aim and send it to me?

colonel_moo
06-13-2006, 01:55 PM
send what to you? vista!? on AIM with their 30 kbps cap, that would only take about 28 years :D.

you can get it from microsoft, just click the download link that isnt using their download manager. as long as you dont plan on pausing the download, you will be fine with the other one. plus, firefox's download manager has a pause feature.

claustrophobia9
06-13-2006, 02:00 PM
send what to you? vista!? on AIM with their 30 kbps cap, that would only take about 28 years :D.

you can get it from microsoft, just click the download link that isnt using their download manager. as long as you dont plan on pausing the download, you will be fine with the other one. plus, firefox's download manager has a pause feature.
link??? and ive sent 3gig games over aim 1 time before, it was only like a day plus whenever the connection broke it knew to start back where it left off.

colonel_moo
06-13-2006, 02:58 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

DFSniper
06-14-2006, 05:45 AM
wooh! mommy said yes!

now i just hope it gets done by the time i get back from italy on the 22nd...

claustrophobia9
06-14-2006, 06:19 AM
i didnt even bother, i checked the sys reqs and i dont think my computer will run it. not enough ram.

DFSniper
06-15-2006, 11:47 AM
i havent used vista yet, but wmp11 is ok. the skins arent done yet, and i dont like how it HAS TO show the album art. also, it cant save track info if it isnt connected to the 'net. it rips pretty fast tho!

DexGtr
06-15-2006, 12:42 PM
just finished downloading it yesterday...now i have to scurry to my friend to have it burned on a DVD....

Sandman_Bravo
07-06-2006, 03:01 AM
Vista looks cool, but I think my next computer will ba an Apple product. If I stay with windows, it will be with a Sony computer. I've got a Dell right now and I think for the most part, the bigger less expensive companies (like dell, gateway, HP) use cheaper grade component parts. The only downside to Apple is there is less software available for it, but that has been changing the last few years.

DFSniper
07-06-2006, 04:18 AM
Sandman, I <3 Sony Vaio! the only pre-built PC i'll ever buy (unless its one designed for gaming!)