PDA

View Full Version : Ways to polish...

emf7301
06-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Ok i've read of numerous ways to polish the internals and i just want to check on it.

First, there is good ole elbow grease which takes awhile.

Second, i thought i remember someone saying they used their dremel with 2 diff finishing buffs (maybe these (http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-detail.htm?H=188569&G=66429&I=69883)) which would take a lot less time and be a lot easier.

Third, use a drill and attach the striker/bolt to it. I believe it might have been druid that said that but i'm not sure. Whoever used this method, I would appreciate if you told me how you attached the striker to the drill.

Fourth, for the tubes, use a battleswab connected to a drill.

Thanks alot and feel free to add your own creative methods of polishing.

Edit: I just double checked and it was Vike who used the drill method to polish the striker. Plz enlighten me o, endower of knowledge! :praying:

DRAGON
06-08-2006, 09:51 PM
This is what I use. It's a simple cheap tool and very effective. Just put it in a drill or dremel. After you assemble it make sure the nut is as close as possible to the drill or dremel chuck. I use the medium or fine Scotch Guard pads. Of course you have to cut the Scotch Guard pads to that shape -

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid207/p769c9cd71b0e579ca1830e9e934c74be/ee98f642.jpg

druid
06-08-2006, 10:16 PM
I used the gray polishing wheel on the dremel. Works great...then follow up with mother's mag.
I was the one that suggested the swab+drill. add mother's to that too

bungeye
06-09-2006, 12:34 AM
once yu have got it the best you can, get a drill bit that is as close to the internad diameter of the striker, then go 1 size down, next grab an old rag, put it arund the drill bit and squeese inside the striker, next shove the drill bit into the chuck of a drill, and use some 2000gt sandpaper, with a little 3-in-1 oil rubed on it, and pul the drill on its lowest speed and turn on. then move the sandpaper up and down along the sriker, do this for about 5 minutes and ull be impressed with the reaults.

DRAGON
06-09-2006, 02:13 AM
Here's another handy little tool you can make that's inexpensive but effective for polishing strikers and bolts. Of course they need to be made to the size needed for either. Find a long screw that the head will fit either into the bolt or striker I/D. Find a piece of rubber hose that the I/D is the same size as the O/D of the screw and the O/D is slightly under the size of the I/D of the striker or bolt. The rubber hose on the nut end must protrude slightly past the end of the striker or bolt so when you tighten it, it has room to slack up to the end of the striker or bolt and expand the hose. Once you assemble everything you just put the tool in the I/D of the striker or bolt and when you tighten the nut it expands the rubber hose inside the striker or bolt. The tool is now perfectly centered in the striker or bolt. Just put it in a drill and sand or polish to your hearts desire -

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid207/pfc31e76964c7a681a013c4fa9f898830/ee978f89.jpg

Sandman_Bravo
06-09-2006, 02:41 AM
I really like this stuff:

http://www.nevrdull.com/

vikingshadow
06-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Edit: I just double checked and it was Vike who used the drill method to polish the striker. Plz enlighten me o, endower of knowledge! :praying:

LOL! I like that title.....:D Yeah, it was me that suggested that one a few years ago. I'm surprised anyone remembers!

All I did was put a dowel in my cordless screwdriver then attach the piece to it using a bit of tape on the dowel - make it tight enough that the piece doesn't move, but not so tight you can't get it on or off the dowel.

Take your sandpaper, tear a strip off, wrap it around the piece and turn the screwdriver on. Let it run for a while, check it, then do it some more. Apply EVEN pressure to both sides of the piece so it's an even sanding. I used two different grits of sandpaper. First, I think it was 600 grit, then moved down to 1000 grit.

When your finished sanding it, take some Mother's Mag (that's what I used- there are other polishes you can use as well) and rub it into the piece you just sanded. Then,using a dremel with a polishing wheel, as shown above by the many knowledgeable people here, and buff it out...easy as can be! I would imagine if you don't have a dremel, you could just take a rag and use the cordless screwdriver again...

I sanded and polished my striker and bolt in less than 30 minutes using this method. Actually, while watching a paintball show (PB2X) one Wednesday afternoon!

thechubbss12
06-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Whew i guess im the only non lazy indian here..... all i use is elbow greese LOL..... Never had any want to use the lazy mans ways just never seemed right. =(

Ares
06-09-2006, 06:16 AM
theres nothing lazy in being efficient

emf7301
06-09-2006, 06:24 AM
It's not being lazy, it is being efficient. If i have learned one thing from my german ancestry, it is that.

I found your suggestion vike by searching! What a concept! :dodgy:

Yea, i have a craftsman ripoff of the dremel. I got it for christmas from my uncle a few years back but never really found any use if it until these last few months working on my gun.

Vike, if the striker is spinning then you wouldn't need to worry about even pressure all around because each part of the striker would hit the same spot, right?

Lots of helpful info ya'll (love that Texan accent :D). Could this thread be sticky material? :questionicon:

Edit: Crap you beat me to it ares

vikingshadow
06-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Nah, probably not sticky material, but good information. I guess you're right on the pressure thing though. (I was still waking up when I typed all that - I remember I was sanding by hand and thinking that, so I just typed it...silly me!)

I operate on the "work smarter, not harder" principle. I don't consider this being lazy in any way, shape or form. I think if you have the resources available, use them! Honestly, if there's a way to get it done, and not have to work too hard to do it and have the same, if not better, results, then I'll do it.

timbertiger20
06-09-2006, 07:26 AM
I like to use a polishing hammer........shines it all up in a hurry and gives it a one of a kind look! :dodgy:

SparkyGT
06-09-2006, 07:36 AM
so far been using my drill press for polishing, can change the belts to get some varying speeds out of it, have used up to 1500 or 1600 paper, then autosol for polish

bamf-hacker
06-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Dremel with the polishing wheel for sure!

Works great and the polishing compound you get with the Dremel is awesome!

HacKeR

oldnewb
06-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Does polishing your internals really help THAT much, and in what way? I can only guess that it lowers the friction, thus making your marker a tiny bit more gas efficient.

Hmm... sounds interesting, however, should I wait for my warranty to expire first? ;)