PDA

View Full Version : I don't remember trips being like this!

vikingshadow
06-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Long story short - my youngest daughter sold a BUTT load of Girl Scout Cookies (top seller) so she helped her troop win a trip to Six Flags over Texas. To make it even better, the day we went was my youngest daughter's birthday! Well, the trip was this weekend, and man, am I beat!

Our local paintball field and Catalyst held a beginner's tournament Sunday morning and had about 8-9 teams show up - I was a little upset because I helped in the very beginning planning stages, but since I quit the team, I've been really left out of the loop and didn't get to participate in any way, shape or form of it, but went out there to watch it anyways. It was a decent turn-out and was kind of fun. I had to leave early because I was leaving for Six Flags at 11:30.

However, if you know anything about the female gender, we ending up leaving town Sunday afternoon about 12:45 :rolleyes: and drove about an hour and a half to another town to eat lunch at McDonald's - makes no sense to me at all....since we have one in our own town. Took about an hour with all those girls.

Well, I was told I had to lead the whole pack of vehicles, which would have been ok, but they wanted to take this weird route there that added about two hours to the trip, but I drove about 80 the whole way, nearly losing them a couple of times! We pull into Arlington at about 7:20 and ALL the girls decide they MUST go to the restroom IMMEDIATELY!!! So I pull into this station to let them go and try to figure out where I was - I've been to Arlington to a Rangers game, but never driven there or in the city....I was feeling pretty lost at that time!

So, I talk to the guy behind the counter since the map is just a jumble of lines and find out we're like two minutes from the road we're supposed to be on! I was totally lost and it was like a major rush hour (Texas needs to put a few more road signs up - I was lost from about Rhome on because the only highway signs were about 10 miles apart and very small! In Arlington/Ft. Worth, forget about it! Oklahoma people, it's like driving in Tulsa - no exit signs anywhere except like 20 feet from the actual exit!)

So the girls decide they want to eat at Quizno's there at that gas station (I know - drive 500 miles to eat in a cruddy little food place in a gas station :rolleyes: after eating the ENTIRE trip in the car - we're still vacuuming food out of our car seats....). They had one worker there, and we had close to 50 people....do the math - another hour and a half...by the time the last girl got her food, the first ones had been finished for close to 30-40 minutes and were ready to go...Fun, you betcha!

Ok, so we finally get loaded and head off to find the hotel - no address, mind you, just a Motel 6 somewhere near 6 Flags - not sure if it's close, or far, but somewhere near it. (Can you tell I was a little hacked at the girl scout leader for being totally unprepared???) We find 6 Flags and the girls are all excited - but it's about 9:00, I've been driving for close to 8 hours due to road construction and this screwed up route the leader wanted to take....and NO Motel 6 in sight anywhere! We drive for several blocks and don't see it, so we turn around and I say "Screw it. We're asking for directions." The GS leader has NO clue, BUT she has a phone number, but doesn't want to pay for roaming charges! :rolleyes: I pull into ANOTHER gas station and we ask this homeless dude where it's at - turns out it's in a totally different direction and a few miles down the road - like we would have found it.

So, at 9:15, we're pulling into Motel 6. We get our rooms and the girls want to go swimming - ok, fine. About 10:30, I'm FINALLY dropping into bed....and I was pissed because I never sleep well in hotels. I ended up sharing a room with my oldest daughter (thank goodness! The other choice was these two other guys....yech!) Well, I have a wife and two daughters and it takes them a while to get around, so 6:00 rolls around and since we all planned on going out to eat breakfast at 8:30, I had to listen to them and several of the older scouts whine about it being too early.

So, we're finally ready! I'm thinking IHOP, but everyone else says Denny's. So I settle for a big bowl thing...then it's off to 6 Flags! Whooot!

It was pretty cool! First thing we did was buy the Flash Pass thing...I had my four and another girl in my group (5 total) so it cost me 90.00. This is a really good idea for those of you going to 6 Flags...it let's you cut to the front of the line, instead of waiting 3 hours in line. Really good idea! Except, we didn't stand in line all day long. We actually ran through a lot of lines because they just weren't that busy! Didn't use the pass once - 90.00 down the drain!

Let's see - first stop was Spongebob Squarepants in 4D ride....pretty fricking fun! I thought it was going to be a kiddie ride, but it was really neat! We wore these 3D glasses and watched/followed Spongebob chasing this pickle all over the place....while the seats rocked and jerked and moved all over the place. I highly recommend it for fun!

Then in was the Wildcatter - formally known as the Cliffhanger. It takes you like 10 stories to the top in a car that holds four, then moves you out about 5 feet in the open. Then DROPS you straight down where you end up laying down at the end. After pulling my butt out of my throat, it was pretty fun, but it scared the heck out of my oldest daughter...

Then the Texas Tornado (which was really tame), the Crazy Legs, then some various kid type rides. Then we hit the Runaway Mine Train which was awesome. The kids liked it so much, we rode it like 4 times! After lunch, we hit a couple of shows, then hit this crooked house thing. All you did was really just walk through it, but it made a lot of people sick! We took a train from 1906 around the park, then rode some other younger kid-type rides. We hit the boat thing that swings back and forth and then watched as a few other kids got sick.

It was sooo hot, we ended up leaving the park around 6:00 and heading back to the hotel and the girls ended up swimming again. All and all, not a bad day. Tuesday, we separated and my family went a different route back to OKC using a much QUICKER route, where we spent the afternoon running around a mall and eating real food! Got home yesterday around 6:30, and my oldest daughter had a softball game.

On a side note - I saw the 6/6/06 post and listen to this! Yesterday, I watched a girl get her arm broken during that game - it was totally gruesome. The catcher chased down a lose ball and dove for the plate but the runner didn't slide and stepped on her arm and snapped both bones in it...nasty break. As a parent, and I was this girl's teacher a couple years ago and she was one of my favorites - it made my stomach turn....

I also happened to look over at the other field next to us in time to see ANOTHER girl get her finger broken...and then another girl on my oldest daughter's team got her thumb smashed, but she played with it hurt....I'm not superstitious, but almost pulled my daughter from the game. We ended up losing 8-7...:(

pman15
06-07-2006, 04:15 PM
uh oh's vike is in the posting mode again!,lolz:D

vikingshadow
06-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Nope - just a long trip with a lot going on.

killerpinecone
06-07-2006, 05:31 PM
lol, i am wore out now from reading all of that, woot for a good father

big_daddy_d
06-07-2006, 05:57 PM
wow sounds like you had an adventure...

pman15
06-07-2006, 06:36 PM
lol,sounds like your a really awesome father though.

Ares
06-07-2006, 06:45 PM
i really hope i have sons when im older lol

TheRedBarron
06-07-2006, 06:47 PM
So Vike, did you think of this post all day? It took me all day to read it.. :p
<3 ya bud

SnOoZ
06-07-2006, 06:50 PM
sounds like quite the trip....i knew it, teachers do have favorites.:p
I was this girl's teacher a couple years ago and she was one of my favorites:(

vikingshadow
06-07-2006, 06:55 PM
You know, I don't think I am. I'm a bit of a butt. I'm mean - most of my kid's friends have had at least one chewing from me (if they were students of mine, they really know what a chewing is!) but it's because I want my kids (and all their friends) to know that certain behavior is not tolerated even if other people, or if the majority of them, thinks it's ok - by a civilized society - stuff like boys cursing around girls or hitting them, arguing with ANY adult, etc...just COMMON SENSE stuff. My wife gets so irritated at me...

I guess it sounds like I'm a decent dad, but I know there is a LOT, as in HUGE, as in MASSIVE amounts of improvement to be had...I only want my kids to be safe, have a great childhood, get an education and meet people that will move them ahead, instead of hold them back.

But seriously, thanks for telling me that, because parents (especially me) a lot of the time just wish they knew what they were doing was the right thing!

vikingshadow
06-07-2006, 07:00 PM
i really hope i have sons when im older lol
I think, from time to time, it would be easier! :o
So Vike, did you think of this post all day? It took me all day to read it.. :p
Hahaha - remember, I've been gone for almost 4 days - been thinking of it for that long! LOL! I actually cut it in half (remember, I'm an aspiring author!)
<3 ya bud
Right back atcha! :D
sounds like quite the trip....i knew it, teachers do have favorites.:p
It was - and don't let them fool ya! Of course we do! LOL!

Her class was an awesome class, though. I had like 10 girls and boys that were just the best kids ever. Smart, fun, very eager to please the teacher, great sense of humor, and they're going to be outstanding adults if they continue the path they were on. I'd take a class like that every year if I could.

You know, I bet I only raised my voice once that whole year, and then it was over just like that...

Live2Play
06-07-2006, 07:11 PM
lol,sounds like your a really awesome father though.

:yeahthat: Vike you do sound like a great father. I know for sure my dad would've never done that when I was younger!

took me awhile to read that post lol, but it sounded like you had a good time!:)

emf7301
06-07-2006, 07:52 PM
sry i wasn't in town vike or i would helped you find your place really quickly. I live in south arlington and i work at my dad's office which is just south of the ballpark. Did your hotel end up being near a bennigans and another place called humperdinks? For an out of towner, the roads aren't labeled far enough in advance like you said but hey, should of gotten directions on mapquest!

I hope you didn't skip the Titan, if you did, shame on you! Unless someone is scared s***less, there is no reason not to ride it. Biggest thrill you will have in a long time. The mine train is fun and i like it but it's not intense enough. The best rides in order from best to less betterness (I HATE ENGLISH :D): Titan, batman, mr freeze, superman, texas giant, flashback, shockwave, judge roy scream, and bobsled.

Sounds like you had fun despite all the hassles. Just remember it's not about all crap you had to put up with but the priceless memories like i got from my cousin's wedding this past weekend. I had to put up with my mom and sister on my trip, they were almost always running behind and on my case. Got a priceless picture of my little bro on the bathroom floor after worshipping the porcelin gods. Must remember to use that for blackmail someday:cool:.

Is your older daughter in high school, yet? Because if she is, i hope she isn't like my older sister was. Whatever you do, BEWARE! my sister threw a party when my parents were out of town and her friends car got stolen. Have fun looking forward to everything!

Are you gonna go to D-Day for the weekend? I wish i could have gone but i couldn't get any of my buds to go with me.:( O well there's always next year!:rolleyes:

MatthewTheTheif
06-07-2006, 08:13 PM
how old is your daughter vike? cause im sure a teenage daughter would have NO PART in staying in a hotel room with her dad while her friends were around

vikingshadow
06-07-2006, 08:24 PM
My daughter's 13. She didn't seem to have a problem with staying in the same room as me...I guess the alternative was worse - having to stay in a room with 4 to 7 10-12 year olds. But, we get along pretty well - she just likes to sleep late, and I wake up at 6:00 no matter what - just force of habit! However, she's used to staying in a hotel room with her mother and me - anytime I went to a tournament or to a baseball game, she and her sister stay in the same room as us...guess she is getting a little old for that now!

I'm not much for those "power" rides anymore - the ol' stomach just can't hack it anymore! That, and my kids didn't want anything to do with them. I watched the Batman, and once I got up close, no way, uh uh! Superman? NO WAY! Call me a wimp, but I was sweating the Wildcatter thing (cliffhanger.) We were going to do the bobsled - that's the red and black snake looking thing, right? Sounds like a jet taking off? But it was really late, the kids were cranky and we all decided it was time to go...maybe next time. I really wanted to ride the water rides, but they all chickened out! The Titan! Whew - I wish I was 20 years younger for those rides....

Now, the most enjoyable ride was sitting in a chair at lunch watching all the girls walk by in their bikini tops - I haven't seen that many bikini's since Spring Break in Florida! Shhhhh! Don't tell the wife! ;)

bigred76
06-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Glad you had fun, Vike. :) And btw, nice job picking out the best rides. :waytogo:

SniperX
06-07-2006, 08:25 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7284967&type=product&cmp=++&id=1118839979856
<~~makes life so MUCH easier.. i <3 mine and sounds like you had a blast

durrell
06-07-2006, 08:26 PM
how old is your daughter vike? cause im sure a teenage daughter would have NO PART in staying in a hotel room with her dad while her friends were around

My sister would and she's 15 lol

emf7301
06-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm only 18 so i'm pretty much willing to ride all the rides. The Titan took the most time for me to get ready to ride. It's not the intensity of the ride that gives me the biggest thrill but when i overcome the fear of heights. God, what a ride! Big ole grin on my face after it :D. Couldn't do it two in a row tho, way too dizzy and out of it. Batman, it's not bad at all, a lil jerky going into turns but not bad overall. yea, the bobsled looks like a snake and sounds like a jet. It is really fun. Too bad you missed out on it.

Now, the most enjoyable ride was sitting in a chair at lunch watching all the girls walk by in their bikini tops - I haven't seen that many bikini's since Spring Break in Florida! Shhhhh! Don't tell the wife! ;)
LOL, my dad says the exact same stuff. Kinda creepy when i think about it. And yes, there are some very fine ladies down here :cool:.

WhatThaSmurf
06-07-2006, 08:32 PM
dear god, didn't see a tl/dr version, so i had to go the whole thing. glad i did though quite a story! the mr. freeze is the 0-60 in under a second or whatever thing, right, or am i just crazy?

thechubbss12
06-07-2006, 08:51 PM
LOL Vike playing paintball for me would be you being a good parent too me..... If my dad paintballed i would be the happiest 16yr old kid alive....

Well vike it seems that you are doing the right thing from a kid who has grown up and done everything wronge even when his parents taught him to do it right.... You are doing pretty much the samething my parents did in which was a great way to raise kids... yet i only as i get older do i realise it.

Keep on keeping on, just know that you will probibly have no where near the coltrol you wished you had over your kids. They will do as they please and try to find any way to get around you.

Props for a good dad.