PDA

View Full Version : Drag Strip - Possible?

03TiburonGT
06-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Hello everybody, I recently came upon a feeling of ambitiousness and I also need an Eagle project idea. I have come up with a proposal, but it an incredibly large and difficult project that, as far as my knowledge, is unprecedented. Even if BSA regulations prevent my idea, I would still like it to be completed. This may be a long read, so please, bear with me and get through it, it is important to me.

Street racing is a nationwide problem. In my homestate of Massachusetts, it happens quite frequently. Only 5 minutes away, every Friday and Saturday night, street racing occurs at and past midnight. I often hear about these races, and I'll admit it, I've witnessed a few. More and more frequently, I hear about street racing accidents causing death and destruction in my state and region. I believe if car enthusiasts and street racers alike had a safe environment to participate in the high-speed thrill without the risk of injury, death, or law infractions, that they would do it.

The closest Drag Strip to my location is over 100 miles away. There are zero Drag Strips located in the surrounding states of Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Vermont as well as my dear Massachusetts. Aside from Maine (with a total count of 2), the only Drag Strip in the region of New England is in Epping, New Hampshire. "New England Dragway" is a company sanctioned by the IHRA (International Hot Rod Association) that generates a large amount of money. International events are held there every year that bring in people from around the nation who spend money and always boost the economy of New Hampshire for the brief time of their stay.

Drag Strips are always filled with advertisements of local businesses and nationwide corporations alike that benefit from getting their name out to people. The police force benefits because they do not have to be on high-alert every Friday and Saturday night when the street racers come out in full force. The former streetracers benefit because they could have a place to have fun with their vehicles and do it safely. The local community benefits because a Drag Strip is a business that needs a staff, and a staff means more jobs for community members.

Constructing a Drag Strip is an enourmous undertaking - finding land, going through autorization processes, getting permission from all the right government officials, building the Drag Strip, hiring and training a staff, creating policies, and making it a profiable business (advertising, etc.) are all tasks that must be completed for people to benfit from a Drag Strip.

So what do you think?

Do you think it's possible?
Do you think it's plausible?
Do you think street racing would decrease?
Do you think street racers/car enthuiasts would come?
Do you think it could be a profitable business?
How long do you think it would take to develop and construct the Drag Strip?
Any comments/questions?

Thank you for your time!

xNinja-Dolphinx
06-04-2006, 06:43 AM
I think its very possible and a great idea! If you know any of the alleged "racers" ask there take on it and if they would show up or not.

timmyshoota
06-04-2006, 07:54 AM
So what do you think?

Do you think it's possible? It's possible, but super unlikely. We just had a HUGE street racing bust a few months ago and since then there's been talk of this. Its more than just an uphill battle. Its going uphill backwards in quicksand. If your city is anything like mine, they will shoot down any plans. We've had plenty of people with the money want to build a drag strip and the city shot it down everytime.
Do you think it's plausible? You've got the right reasoning, but its just a horrible battle.
Do you think street racing would decrease? Nope, people will still street race because its free and for other various reasons.
Do you think street racers/car enthuiasts would come? We've gotten so many people saying they would come if we got a drag strip in the area, problem is none of them want to help. Just getting people coming isn't what you need, you NEED people helping.
Do you think it could be a profitable business? No. Plain and simple. Call up the nearest drag strip and try to talk to the owner. Its just not profitable unless you can get events like NHRA and NOPI coming in. That requires more money because you need all the right equipment. Gonna take more time to actually make money.
How long do you think it would take to develop and construct the Drag Strip? Many months. You have to completely level off the ground the track will be on, put in a building housing the computers, grandstands, lots of parking, the trees, time boards at the end of the track....the list goes on and on. I'm sure you know of all the stuff required, but before you can even start building you need to level off the land.
Any comments/questions? Hit me up on AIM and we can talk more. I can give you links to the stuff we've done. The only reason we have people trying to get a strip is because organized racing here was shut down with the big bust. All the street racing now is like 2 people going out and racing, nothing big like we had before with 100+ people in a lot and people going out to race. The nearest 1/4mile track is about an hour and 20 minutes away, but more people have started going now because of the shut down on street racing.

Thank you for your time!

Woot.

Victa_Balla
06-04-2006, 08:10 AM
How old are you. If you are closer towards the 18 age limit of BSA you would more than likely not finish the project in the time allotted. But the idea is good. And more times than not having a legalized outlet for illegal behaivor lessens the crime.

Beats my eagle scout project. I built 3 picnic tables for the church we meet at. I have my Eagle Board of Review this tuesday

WhatThaSmurf
06-04-2006, 09:01 AM
So what do you think?

Do you think it's possible? It is definitely possible, but as you said, it would be quite an undertaking. It would take time and money, and then it would have to gain the trust of the racers themselves to become successful.
Do you think it's plausible? I personally like the idea. I'm a teenager, I have my license, and I have to say I break the speed limit (today coming back from camping on the highway). It really sounds like a good idea to me, especially with the good points that you included.
Do you think street racing would decrease? The illegal street racing would still be present, that's a given. But with a well maintained, cheap area to do it safely, the illegal racing would definitely fall off a lot.
Do you think street racers/car enthuiasts would come? I do know for sure that the people would go. The are drag strips at the fairgrounds about 20-30 minutes from my house, and there are people there every weekend. It is a great atmosphere, and everyone loves to see the new cars that are up for their first race against the veteran whose car is much better than it should be.
Do you think it could be a profitable business? People pay loads of money to have their advertisements displayed where people in cars will see them all the time. You know, you see them on the interstate, in the city, almost everywhere. Billboards. Advertising is a big business, and having banners all around the strip itself will pay the bills and then some. Entrance fees, concessions, and the like will add some padding too.
How long do you think it would take to develop and construct the Drag Strip? From a view of someone in an engineering family who is planning on going into engineering himself, I'd say that it would take take a year if they made good time, two and a half at the most. But getting all the right support and the city's agreement to fund and all the right people backing the idea, and getting the land and permits, could take a while. There could be zoning problems, residents of the area could have complaints about potential noise levels and the big lights at night time, basically, it could be one big pain in the ass. But then at the same time it could all just sail along, and you could get all the paperwork and fund-pledges in a few months.
Any comments/questions? I say go for it!

Thank you for your time!

Obviously I have to make a post down here too.

03TiburonGT
06-04-2006, 09:26 AM
How old are you. If you are closer towards the 18 age limit of BSA you would more than likely not finish the project in the time allotted. But the idea is good. And more times than not having a legalized outlet for illegal behaivor lessens the crime.

Beats my eagle scout project. I built 3 picnic tables for the church we meet at. I have my Eagle Board of Review this tuesday

Right now I'm 15 and a Life scout with only 2 more required merit badges and an Eagle Project away from Eagle. I'm beginning to think that this would take more time than I have, nevermind money and stress, haha.

xNinja-Dolphinx - That's a good idea, I think if I can ask a couple questions to some local area street racers and generate a buzz then this could actually get going.

timmyshoota - I'm interested in talking to you on AIM about what people in your community have done. I think that the governments should actually take a serious look at this and not just put it down as soon as it gets to them.

WhatThaSmurf - You made a good point about most income being from advertisements, not the fees participants pay and such. Getting events to come would be a must if it were to pull in a lot of money. Also I agree with you about zoning, noise, and late night lights would make some residents mad. The Strip would have to be somewhat "in the boonies" so less residents are actually affected.

Thank you all for your responses!

03TiburonGT
06-04-2006, 09:38 AM
So I was just thinking, "Where in the H3ll would a Drag Strip fit and not be an annoyance." Then I thought of where the loud and bright strip could go, somewhere that is already bright into the night and loud - an Airport! I think if there was some land near the perimeter of an airport, people would already be annoyed with the planes coming and going, the Drag Strip wouldn't be that worse. I don't know, maybe I'm just crazy.

colonel_moo
06-04-2006, 10:52 AM
sorry to burst your bubble, but a decent drag strip will cost you millions... especially with massachusetts land prices, taxes, licenses, permits, and safety paraphanalia. even if you dont really make a nice one, but just really a place for people to go, you are still going to need to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars. i dont think any company is going to pay very much for an advertisement until you get a decent foothold in the business either.

DRAGON
06-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Though a righteous thought, I'm thinking it's a bit too much for an Eagle project. It has to benifit the greater part of the community so what portion of the community drag races? ;) You'll have to seek out supporters to fund the project and find other scouts that need service time. That will be a great hurdle in itself. Personally I'm thinking the comitee may not even OK it due to the difficulties involved in organizing it alone. I'd find something on a much smaller scale if I were you and go for it. I have 2 boys that are Eagle Scouts so it's not like I'm just throwing these views in here with no experience -