PDA

View Full Version : Lucid Dreaming

colonel_moo
05-30-2006, 02:36 PM
well, i saw a thread like this on PBN, and it inspired me to start trying to have lucid dreams. for anyone that doesnt know, a lucid dream is when you figure out that you are dreaming, and can thus control your dream and do anything you want. most of you have probably experienced this when you were real young, or at least have figured out that you are dreaming, but not necesarily been able to control it. do any of you guys actually try to figure out when you are dreaming?

here is a excerpt from the wikipedia article about lucid dreaming:

Common techniques
[edit]

Reality testing

Reality testing is a common method that people use to determine whether or not they are dreaming. This method involves performing an action with results that are difficult to re-create in a dream. Examples of reality tests include:

* To read some text, look away, and read it again, or to look at your watch and remember the time, then look away and look back. Observers have found that, in a dream, the text or time will often have changed.
* Flipping a light switch or looking into a mirror. Light switches rarely work in dreams, and reflections from a mirror often appear to be blurred or distorted.
* Covering your nose and seeing if you can still breathe.
* Pressing the index finger firmly into an area of the body such as the chest or leg. Since “matter” is usually plastic in the dream state and does not resist change, the finger will usually penetrate the dream body with little resistance and no pain.
* Experiencing no pain.

Another form of reality testing involves identifying one's dream signs, clues that one is dreaming. These can be anything, such as a pink elephant on parade or a talking dog. Dream signs are often categorized as follows:

* Action — The dreamer, another dream character, or a thing does something unusual or impossible in waking life, such as photos in a magazine or newspaper becoming 3-dimensional with full movement.
* Context — The place or situation in the dream is strange.
* Form — The dreamer, another character, or a thing changes shape, or is oddly formed or transforms; this may include the presence of unusual clothing or hair, or a third person view of the dreamer.
* Awareness — A peculiar thought, a strong emotion, an unusual sensation, or altered perceptions. In some cases when moving one's head from side to side, one may notice a strange stuttering or 'strobing' of the image.

Though occurrences like these may seem out of place in waking life, they may seem perfectly normal to a dreaming mind and learning to pick up on these dream signs will help in recognizing that one is dreaming.

Experienced lucid dreamers will often use more advanced techniques, such as those described below, to induce lucid dreams at will.
[edit]

Mnemonic induction of lucid dreaming (MILD)

Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreaming is a common technique used to induce a lucid dream at will by setting an intention, while falling asleep, to remember to recognize that one is dreaming, or to remember to look for dream signs. Because it is easy to master (almost everyone sets intentions frequently), it is ideal for those who have never practiced lucid dreaming induction techniques before.

The MILD technique was developed by Stephen LaBerge, and is described fully in his book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming.
[edit]

Wake-back-to-bed induction technique (WBTB)

Wake-back-to-bed is often the easiest way to induce a lucid dream. The method involves going to sleep tired and waking up five hours later. Then, focusing all thoughts on lucid dreaming, staying awake for an hour and going back to sleep. The odds of having a lucid dream are then much higher. This is because the REM cycles get longer as the night goes on, and this technique takes advantage of the best REM cycle of the night. Also, lucid dreams are usually longer and more vivid at this time.
[edit]

Waking induction of lucid dreaming (WILD)

Waking Induction of Lucid Dreaming is one of the most common induction techniques used by lucid dreamers. In this particular technique, a person goes directly from being awake into a lucid dream. The key to this technique is recognizing the hypnagogic stage, which is within the border of being awake and being asleep. If a person is successful in staying aware while this stage occurs, they will eventually enter the dream state while being fully aware that it is a dream. Because one does not have to recognize a cue in order to induce a lucid dream using this technique, it tends to be more reliable than other techniques. Proponents recommend three steps to induce lucid dreaming: relax, stay aware, and enter your dream. There are key times at which this technique is best used; while success at night after being awake for a long time is very difficult, it is relatively easy after being awake for 15 or so minutes and in the afternoon during a nap. Users of this technique often count, envision themselves climbing or descending stairs, chanting to themselves, or any various form of concentration to keep their mind awake, while still being calm enough to let their body sleep. During the actual transition into the dreamstate, one is likely to experience sleep paralysis, including rapid vibrations.
[edit]

Cycle adjustment technique (CAT)

The cycle adjustment technique is an effective way to induce lucid dreaming. It involves adjusting one's sleep cycle to encourage awareness during the latter part of the sleep. First, the person wakes up 90 minutes before normal wake time until their sleep cycle begins to adjust. After this, the normal wake times and early wake times alternate. On the days with the normal wake times, the body is ready to wake up, and this increases alertness, making lucidity more likely. The cycle adjustment technique was developed by Daniel Love. [9]
[edit]

Don Juan's technique

This technique is the one endorsed by Carlos Castaneda's guide, Don Juan, in the book Journey to Ixtlan. Before going to sleep one must look at one's hands and say to oneself: "Later, when I am dreaming, I will look at my hands and realise that I am dreaming." While dreaming, one must look at one's hands, then look around and repeat the procedure throughout the dream.

the full article can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming

the one i use is the reality check where you cover your nose to see if you can still breathe. the only problem is you have to make a habit of doing it even when you are sure you are in reality.

last night i infact was able to figure out i was dreaming (through reality check), but i got too excited and woke up :rolleyes:

i really hope i can achieve a good one sometime, cause it really seems like it would be fun. anybody else ever try this or have any success stories?

big_daddy_d
05-30-2006, 02:42 PM
only think I worry about when I sleep is SLEEP, little too invovled for me to try to influence my dreams... Good luck with it though :D

Team Ramrod
05-30-2006, 02:48 PM
I never remember my dreams. In the last few years i have remebered maybe 5, i dont know why but i just cant and dont.

It would be cool, however, to control them when i do dream, be able to do almost anything.

durrell
05-30-2006, 03:13 PM
I never remember my dreams. In the last few years i have remebered maybe 5, i dont know why but i just cant and dont.

It would be cool, however, to control them when i do dream, be able to do almost anything.

Ditto..but when I sleep I really dont care about what I dream about, I just wanna sleep. Not to mention, your dreams can tell you what you're going through in life and how to deal with it..

colonel_moo
05-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Ditto..but when I sleep I really dont care about what I dream about, I just wanna sleep. Not to mention, your dreams can tell you what you're going through in life and how to deal with it..

not if you dont remember them!

taurinic
05-30-2006, 03:39 PM
so that's what you call it... this thought have crossed my mind several times, it's kinda impossible for me.

druid
05-30-2006, 03:42 PM
yeah...I saw that episode of Star Trek too :dodgy:

marvin-martian
05-30-2006, 06:06 PM
i used to try that around christmas time. the onlt time i think i got it right was on a road trip when i got woken up as soon as i started. needless to say, i was grumpy afterward.

colonel_moo
05-30-2006, 06:10 PM
haha, yeah its pretty frustrating when you wake up

claustrophobia9
05-30-2006, 06:11 PM
i cant remeber dreams because i wake up so fast and dont get enough sleep when i wake up slow.

oh and ive had those, but i have like ADD moments in the dream where when i want to do something and i constantly tell myself to do that but i do the opposite and it pisses me off.

you guys who dont remeber them need to wake up slower, and try to use the extending REM teqnique.

DRAGON
05-30-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm always thinking I'm going to win an MR2 from Kingman but then after a week has gone by and I get no e-mail I realize that it was just a dream - :dodgy:

UKwithPride
05-30-2006, 06:56 PM
I hate when I try to run in a dream, but I run realllllly slow, so there is no way I can run away from something chasing me. Same thing for trying to hit something in a dream.

pman15
05-30-2006, 07:00 PM
I hate when I try to run in a dream, but I run realllllly slow, so there is no way I can run away from something chasing me. Same thing for trying to hit something in a dream.

wow thats pretty wierd because for some reason in my dreams i run really slow.in real life i runfast but in the dreams i'm the slowest kind in the world.thats pretty wierd though UKwithPride i guess we both run really slow in our dreams

Victa_Balla
05-30-2006, 07:11 PM
No joke, i died in my dream...I was fighting reavers...(if you havnt seen firefly or serentity dont ask) with cure guns...like from X3...and i lost, so i told them (one of them used to be my friend) to pull me into space and get it over with...So they pulled me into space and i saw me floating....then i woke up. And went back to sleep and did it again...except every second time i dream it. I live. And this happen every so often.

DFSniper
05-31-2006, 12:53 PM
done it.

when i was little, i used to wake up, and then when i went back to sleep i could find the spot in my dream where i was before i woke (it was like flipping through a picture book!)

TacTownKilla
05-31-2006, 02:25 PM
I never really thought about trying to do something in a dream, most of the times when i dream i know im dreaming though, its Kinda like im watching a movie of myself. Im gonna have to start tryin to control my dreams tho man cause alot of my dreams consist of Pam anderson and we always...

thechubbss12
05-31-2006, 05:15 PM
LOL reavers.... aahah you would have gotten eaten lol.....

Ahh my dreams i always seem to kill something or someone.... Very violent dreamer.....

claustrophobia9
05-31-2006, 06:11 PM
how do you know it was a dream.... :dodgy:

WhatThaSmurf
05-31-2006, 09:10 PM
i've done this before, a few times. i always happen to be doing something humiliating right before i figure out that i'm not that stupid and/or it's really hard to get naked in public that quickly....but anyway, has anyone ever had a dream that they were late for something then woke up because of it right on time to get up and get ready for whatever it was

The Pink Panther
05-31-2006, 10:05 PM
ya in my dreams i always run REALLLLY slow, cant jump high, my weapons are the crappiest out there....etc. and the worst thing always happens to me

claustrophobia9
06-01-2006, 12:58 PM
i did it. i was like the neo in my dream world, i was doin all sorts of stuff, like blowing up stuff. then i woke up in the hospital. all is true but the last part there.

druid
06-01-2006, 01:12 PM
I always start or paintballing but end up going postal. It always turns out that my family is killed and I go off the deep end with my AK and Tech 9

Hob Hayward
06-01-2006, 01:19 PM
I think claustraphobia said this too, when I dream, I try to do stuff, but I always do somthing else, more as if I was watching than acctually myself, I also suffer from running uber slow and whatever I happen to have always malfunctioning.

I rarely remember my dreams, except a few times I think I may have done this lucid dreaming thing, but unintentionally. Not sure if I really did though, too hard to remember correctly.

WhatThaSmurf
06-01-2006, 02:40 PM
they say night owl remember dream more freqently than early birds, which one are you?

druid
06-01-2006, 03:20 PM
night owl

phatphil
06-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Wow, I do that pretty often, never knew there was a name for it. Also, I have a lot of dreams where the thing I dreamed about happens almost exactly like a week later, it's weird. Does everybody else have those?

DFSniper
06-02-2006, 12:50 AM
i hate when you scream but nothing comes out. happens every time

claustrophobia9
06-02-2006, 03:23 AM
it only matter if a night owl and an early bird go to sleep at the same clock time. because the night owl will be more attuned to being aware at that time

WhatThaSmurf
06-02-2006, 08:47 AM
wow claus, just be try to make it make sense why don't you (sarcastic anger). i was only saying what the studies showed.

btw did it last night by realizing even i'm not that much of an idiot

MatthewTheTheif
06-02-2006, 10:09 AM
ive never influenced my dreams, but ive realized i was dreaming, i always do the reading thing, i saw on batman (shutup, yeah, i know...) that the part of your brain that makes dreams isnt connected to the part that can read, so whenever you look at something with text, it should just be blurry and unintelligible.

and i always get the thing where you want to do something, but you get ADD and forget about what you wanted to do, after i wake up i try and figure out how i got from the first thing to the last thing, its pretty weird.

claustrophobia9
06-02-2006, 01:15 PM
i always look at a clock, its the easiest way to realise you are dreaming, when you look at it, you look back at it a few second laster, if the time changes alot you are dreaming.

MatthewTheTheif
06-02-2006, 02:44 PM
that never works for me, about seeing the time change, cause i always see weird numbers, ill see like 73:72 or something

claustrophobia9
06-02-2006, 02:45 PM
that never works for me, about seeing the time change, cause i always see weird numbers, ill see like 73:72 or something
sometimes that happens for me. but ususally i see it change from like 6:30 to like 12:19

pman15
06-02-2006, 04:32 PM
you do have dreams every night.but you just don't remember it.some dreams you remember some dreams you don't

MatthewTheTheif
06-02-2006, 05:44 PM
isnt it something like, the deepest REM cycle is the one where you dont remember what your dream was and you get the most rest?

Hob Hayward
06-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Wow, I do that pretty often, never knew there was a name for it. Also, I have a lot of dreams where the thing I dreamed about happens almost exactly like a week later, it's weird. Does everybody else have those?

Yeah thats happened to me a bunch of times, except I usually don't remmeber the dream until right when it happens, and then I'm like whoa, I dreamed this.

marvin-martian
06-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah thats happened to me a bunch of times, except I usually don't remmeber the dream until right when it happens, and then I'm like whoa, I dreamed this.
that used to happen to me all the time back when i was like 9 or 10. it was always random, pointless stuff though.

MatthewTheTheif
06-02-2006, 06:32 PM
i would always get deja-vu for like, whole minutes at a time, i recently had one where i dreamed it at least a year ago, and i was at school and saw the same scene and following occurence, and it lasted like 3 minutes, it was weird

colonel_moo
06-02-2006, 06:36 PM
isnt it something like, the deepest REM cycle is the one where you dont remember what your dream was and you get the most rest?

exactly. REM sleep (aka deep sleep) is when you don't remember your dreams. light sleeping is when you remember them. thats why if you wake up in the middle of the night and go back to sleep for about an hour, you can remember you dream from that hour; you aren't in the REM stage. i have a friend that has sleep apnea, which cases him to never reach an REM stage, so he remembers pretty much all of his dreams.

claustrophobia9
06-02-2006, 07:17 PM
no, im pretty sure you can remeber REM dreams but you have to wake up in a slow manner, and relitivly close to when the REM occured.= (2 hours?) the best lucids are in that time.

they did a study and people who never reached REM tended to go insane after about a week (cured by sleep). all of this is loosly based on some wikis ive read... i have no idea what sleep apnea is but im almost positive your brain NEEDs REM

edit: from wiki: "Rapid eye movement (REM) is the stage of sleep characterized by rapid saccadic movements of the eyes. During this stage, the activity of the brain's neurons is quite similar to that during waking hours; for this reason, the phenomenon is often called paradoxical sleep. Most of the vividly recalled dreams occur during REM sleep. It is the lightest form of sleep, and people awakened during REM usually feel alert and refreshed. REM sleep is so physiologically different from the other phases of sleep that the others are collectively referred to as non-REM sleep."

so maybe your friend is always in REM, im not sure ill do more research

double edit: "Sleep apnea (alternatively sleep apnoea) is a common sleep disorder characterized by brief interruptions of breathing during sleep. These episodes, called apneas, last 10 seconds or more and occur repeatedly throughout the night. People with sleep apnea partially awaken as they struggle to breathe, but in the morning they may not be aware of the disturbances in their sleep." nothing about no REM, your friend remebers dream because he wakes frequently in the night, it isnt that REM doesnt occur, but instead the lack of sleep caused by small naps causes it to happen quicker, and when he awakes he remebers it better than many would.

MatthewTheTheif
06-02-2006, 08:29 PM
my "uncle" (dad's good friend) has sleep apnea and holds his breath for like, 45 seconds at a time...its kinda weird

colonel_moo
06-03-2006, 04:22 AM
claus: he doesnt reach the REM stage because he is constantly waking up. you dont just go from being awake to REM sleep, it takes some time. if hes waking up every 15 minutes, hes not going to get into that stage. he used to have a machine that actually forces the air into his lungs so he continues breathing, and that helped, but he doesnt use it anymore, cause it seems to be getting better, somehow. and i always thought REM was the deepest for of sleep, so that might be where our disagreement is comming from. although i don't understand how the "lightest form of sleep" would leave you refreshed... when i sleep lightly, i definately dont awake refreshed.

claustrophobia9
06-03-2006, 07:45 AM
claus: he doesnt reach the REM stage because he is constantly waking up. you dont just go from being awake to REM sleep, it takes some time. if hes waking up every 15 minutes, hes not going to get into that stage. he used to have a machine that actually forces the air into his lungs so he continues breathing, and that helped, but he doesnt use it anymore, cause it seems to be getting better, somehow. and i always thought REM was the deepest for of sleep, so that might be where our disagreement is comming from. although i don't understand how the "lightest form of sleep" would leave you refreshed... when i sleep lightly, i definately dont awake refreshed. its often considered deep because it is often after many hours of sleeping, but if you read the lucid dreaming suggestiosn they say to take 10min power naps for a long time then go into sleep, by doing this you go right into REM instead of waking 2 hours later. if your friend NEVER went into REM you would notice when you went to his house and barbie dolls were scattered around with no heads and there was feces smeared on the walls. its considered "light" sleep, because it doesn't actually do many things usual to sleep, except in a very small "light" way. your friend will reach REM just in a different way then if he could sleep all night. but both times hed probibly reach it after about 2 hours, despite whether he is sleeping or not. waking up early helps me remeber dreams easily. the 90 min before normal time is a good system, i reccomend it.

MatthewTheTheif
06-21-2006, 07:57 PM
i got it last night, i knew i was dreaming when i was driving a car with a stick where the gears went "1-1-7-7-4-4", nothing in between

but i woke up before i did anything cool

WhatThaSmurf
06-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Aahhh! Old Thread Alive!

newkid
06-21-2006, 08:07 PM
ive had nightmares and thought wait, this is a dream i can just wake up

pman15
06-21-2006, 08:14 PM
wow,i remember my dreams every night now,sweet