PDA

View Full Version : is armor for wimps or is it smart

TStites
05-28-2006, 07:01 PM
I have just started playing and my body is becoming one big bruis. it does not bother me to get shoot but all this bruising cant be good. I know the answer is not to get shoot so much but I am new and trying things out and I play very aggressive. so do most players where body armor or padding or does that kind of thing slow you down.

marvin-martian
05-28-2006, 07:10 PM
its fine on your knees or elbows for when youre ini the snake or something

pman15
05-28-2006, 07:30 PM
well i'd imagine a few probably wear armor,but def pads and stuff.since most of the time every pro paintball gets bonus balled quite a few times when they are out they must be sick of it

Paradox313
05-28-2006, 07:31 PM
i dont want to pay 30 bucks for a chest/back pad so i just use like a winter vest
and it doesnt hurt me at all

colonel_moo
05-28-2006, 07:40 PM
bottom line: only noobs wear armor. you will eventually get used to the pain, and it will barely hurt after a while of playing. it doesnt even bother me at all anymore. and if you are really getting that bruised, you are probably playing with velocities over 300 feet per second. not only will this hurt more, it is extremely dangerous as you can crack/shatter your mask lense with a shot over 300 fps. i suggest investing in a chronograph if you are just playing in the woods, or start going to established fields.

also, its illegal to wear armor during a tournament, and you are usually only allowed two layers of reasonable clothing. this usually consists of a t-shirt, and a jersey. also, if you are wearing too much clothes, you will get very hot sweaty on a hot summer day. last summer during a tournament i played, a member of a very prestegious local team got heat stroke, and had to be rushed to the hospital. and he was only wearing a t-shirt and jersey, imagine how much worse it would be with tons of padding and armor.

pman15
05-28-2006, 07:49 PM
i agree with colonel moo,all i wear is a sweatshirt and a jacket,i'm pretty used to the pain now espicially since i have been bunkered quite a few times now,lol:D

DRAGON
05-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Excessive bruises should be a sign of a very bad day or a player that knows all the wrong moves. I would think body armor would make you do things that you wouldn't normally do and inspire some pretty dumb moves. If you feel no pain from making dumb moves you may be prone to doing it again since there is no 'pain' nuro-association there to deter you from making it again. The only type of armor I wear is on my face and nads. If I'm hit anywhere else I deserve the bruise(s). If you're a total noob armor is like training wheels on a bike, you must eventually learn to play w/o the crutch -

timmyshoota
05-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I wear a short sleeve t-shirt and arm pads when I play. Diving and crawling in the snake is no fun without the arm pads. I wear JT Team pants which have built in knee pads which are pretty good. Thats all I wear. When it cools down a little, or I'm in a tourney, I wear a jersey over top of the shirt and arm pads.

Frat
05-28-2006, 08:02 PM
I would not say that armor is for noobs but that is mostly who wears them.

pman15
05-28-2006, 08:06 PM
well all my so called "friends" i rarely go with are pretty stupid because all they wear is a short sleeves shirt and pants then they call me a woose because i suppose of ly have to much on.but there the ones with welts and broken skin on there arms at the end of the day not me.{no offense timmyshoota because u to wear a t shirt too}

timmyshoota
05-28-2006, 08:09 PM
I could care less about the welts and stuff. Its the game. If you can't take the pain, you really need to have someone unload a hopper on you from not too far away. It should get you over any "fears". I was hit many times while reffing the last tourney. Not one of them I even flinched from. You get to the point where unless it hits a sensitive spot you don't notice it. Also is a bad thing, because then you get playing on penalties. :rolleyes:

pman15
05-28-2006, 08:12 PM
oh god i got hit in a sensitive spot once,HOLY CRAP it hurt

marvin-martian
05-28-2006, 08:22 PM
is that supposed to mean anything? you knowingly contradicted yourself.

xtraking
05-28-2006, 08:55 PM
i agree with colonel moo,all i wear is a sweatshirt and a jacket,i'm pretty used to the pain now espicially since i have been bunkered quite a few times now,lol:D
a sweatshrit and jacket is alot.

And to your other post... a t-shirt is pretty normal to be seen on the field.

Dave

Xragon
05-28-2006, 09:22 PM
if your body is one big bruise you might want to check to see if you have hemophilia or a related disease. i prefer to play in a t-shirt, a good pair of jeans with something for the sac and kneepads. then i wear a neck protector and a cap backwards to keep the back of my head and neck safe. saved me when my own teammate shot me in the back of the head :D

Eaglelox
05-29-2006, 07:04 AM
i wear a cup and throat protection, sometimes knee pads. any more and my friends might gang up on me.:p

Hob Hayward
05-29-2006, 07:19 AM
I just wear a sweatshirt if it isn't too hot, doesn't hurt too much through that, but if its too hot a t-shirt is fine, when I play with my friends I don't really get shot very much.

colonel_moo
05-29-2006, 12:58 PM
yeah, pman, a t-shirt and a jacket is way too much IMO. thats a good way to get heat stroke/pass out which can send you to the ER. id shed a few layers for your own safety.

if the pain is really too much for you without all those clothes, just get a chest protector or something, before you really hurt yourself.

vikingshadow
05-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Sleeveless T shirt and jersey is all I play in, but I get funny looks from everyone. Maybe I should wear pants, too? ;)

Actually, I wear knee pads and elbow pads for my only protection. Seriously, you slide in a few times without pads, it gets a bit painful. On another note, elbow pads help with the "bounce" factor! Would that be cheating??? :D

If it gets really hot, I take the jersey off and play with just the sleeveless tee and elbow pads. I used to wear a cup, but falling on a cup when you're diving is almost as painful as getting shot there - if you stay behind your bunker you shouldn't get hit there. ALTHOUGH, when I got in the staging area yesterday, I say a hit that was DAMN close to the boys...thank goodness I'm not super endowed! :D

QAZ123
05-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Knee and elbow pad's are what I wear. 2 handkerchief's in the crotch area is a good call also.

That being said I absolutely hate bruises on my arm's/chest/stomach from paintball especially in the summertime when I'm out and about without a shirt on. Drives me nut's.

I'm thinking about getting a sleeveless under amour shirt under my jersey to see if it soften's the impact on bruises.

JB.

vikingshadow
05-29-2006, 02:09 PM
The ONLY place I bruise is that spot on my inside of my bicep up around the armpit. I hate getting hit there - the bruise spreads down my arm and looks hideous. I got one now from yesterday that's starting to look ugly...I've actually thought about getting some kind of padding to go there, but I'm too lazy to go any further than that...

claustrophobia9
05-29-2006, 02:31 PM
the ground is far less forgiving than a paintball. i wear slider shorts, want eblow/knee pads and need something on the SIDE of my torso for when i land funny. ive been looking at the underarmor full armor type thing that has padding on the sides. but ya, front chest is for noobs, shoulders is for noobs, backs is for noobs, and neck is smart cuz it hurts but id rather be caught in tight pink underwear (which i often am :dodgy:) than wear a neck protector.

Frat
05-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frat

is that supposed to mean anything? you knowingly contradicted yourself.

Actually it is not a contradiction. Mostly you see new players players wearing armor but I know a few female players who wear armor for the obvious reasons and one who has a heart condition that wears one.

Live2Play
05-29-2006, 03:23 PM
A cup and a throat protector...heard some bad horror stories about people getting shot in the adams apple. Not pleasant!

If I were you I'd definitely stop wearing the whole jacket and sweatshirt...You'll eventually get used to being hit with paintballs. Plus being out in the hot weather with all that wont do a bit of good for you.

killerpinecone
05-29-2006, 04:01 PM
i went last weekend and i live in houston, to hot to ware all the gear, so i just went in a tee shirt and shorts, got lit up and bruised but i will live.

TomFromMyspace
05-29-2006, 04:25 PM
i dont want to pay 30 bucks for a chest/back pad so i just use like a winter vest
and it doesnt hurt me at all

The paint doesnt break on that winter vest either therefore I hate them. There's a guy who plays with us that wears one of them, and you can put 20 balls right into his chest and get lucky if one breaks. We were just about to all pitch in and buy him a chest protector when someone got the good idea of his team turning on him. Lets just say that his vest stayed in the closet till winter that year.

To the point, Excessive clothing makes the game less fun for everyone else. If your going to complain about bruises, shell out a bit of money and get a chest protector if you keep it under your jersey, people probably won't notice, and probably won't care.

kies
05-29-2006, 06:27 PM
personally I think armour is really stupid like if you can't take it then don't play paintball but you should just buy a pair of Raven paintball pants with knee protection so then yu'll be good.

kies
05-29-2006, 06:28 PM
They didnt use winterpaint when you played?->tomfrommyspace?

DRAGON
05-29-2006, 08:28 PM
The ONLY place I bruise is that spot on my inside of my bicep up around the armpit. I hate getting hit there - the bruise spreads down my arm and looks hideous. I got one now from yesterday that's starting to look ugly...I've actually thought about getting some kind of padding to go there, but I'm too lazy to go any further than that...

I've gotten those a few times and ya, don't show one of those to someone you intend on recruiting into paintball. Usually bruises from the armpit to the elbow on mine depending on how close the shooter was. Mine starts out as a bruise, spreads all the way out the next day to a pinkish purple and in about 2 weeks turns to a purplish yellow and finally diminishes. I've been hit by hot shots that turned into a hard lump for about 4 months. Hey, it just comes with the territory -

Inner thigh is another spot that spreads out bad for me sometimes -

druid
05-29-2006, 08:41 PM
I have just started playing and my body is becoming one big bruis. it does not bother me to get shoot but all this bruising cant be good. I know the answer is not to get shoot so much but I am new and trying things out and I play very aggressive. so do most players where body armor or padding or does that kind of thing slow you down.

There is a fine line between being a 'wimp' and 'using precautions.' What you decide is really all that matters. It is also dependant on what type of game/environment you play in. In tourney, padding is outlawed (beyond a specified measure) and in recball, who cares? MilSim...depending on the event, can lead you to battles with forces of 20-50 or more...all pointing their muzzles at you. Do you feel like having a vest on when facing a frontal assault of 200 players coming at you with 70 E-Gripped A5's, 100 M4's and 30 tourney ballers with aftermarket, uncapped semiauto?

PA's SkirmishUSA hosts The Invasion Of Normandy, a 24hour scenario which draws more than 3,000 players. Feel like wearing just a T shirt in that?? Some are (IMO) stupid and do...and they do nothing but whine and complain the rest of the night and into the next morning. Some go in full battle gear...Tac vests, helmets, full fatigues, the works. They complain the least (about 'hits' anyway) and are generally raring to go the next day (outside the hangover).

The choice is solely yours.

Chris Cole
05-29-2006, 09:15 PM
I wear pads/braces on the knees, gloves and a cup. I've also started wearing a bandana loosely around me neck because getting shot in the throat hurts and neoprene neck guards are too freaking hot. Not to mention, they don't work all that well.

And vike, that shot next to the boys made my junk hurt in sympathy.

taurinic
05-29-2006, 09:34 PM
It's summer time now, it's too damn hot down here to wear 2+ layers of clothing. You WILL have heat strokes if you wear 2 t-shirts!!

Padding is ok for the knees and elbows, but look for ones that is not suffocating. I had to cut big holes in my knee pads so my knees don't heat up bad. Before I had to put ice cubes IN the pads but it helps for a few minutes and then melts.

One time, there was this kid who probably wore 5 jackets, he looked like a freakin balloon! Please do not do this because you will look like an idiot!

bungeye
05-29-2006, 10:18 PM
why dont u do the whole kiwi thing,
were stubbies, singlet and jandels.
in american lingo thats short-shorts, singlet, and "thongs"

its quite fn to have a game where every1 wers that, we also did it in togas.

Baller-59
05-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Don't bother with it. Just play a little more conservatively and then start to get a little more aggressive when you gunfighting skills are better. you really should only fire when on the move as a necesity or to provide yourself a mobile bunker if you need more vcover than you can allow yourself from firing to get his head back in and then bumping to the next bunker. Practice making youself the smallest target possible. my favorite thing to do is to point to the little brick that is under 3 ft tall and say I'll take that one. I'm about 6 ft.

TStites
05-30-2006, 06:16 AM
I Played this weekend and started to put the pading on but it was to hot and it constricted My movement so I took them off. I think COLONEL was write some one must have had there gun turned up. Because the balls where not hitting near as hard. And I all so played a lot better and got shoot allot less. I did not really mind getting hit last time it was just the fact that my whole inner thigh was yellow black and red. From one shoot. I did not read any of the forum until to day but thanks for all the great advice.

timbertiger20
05-30-2006, 07:01 AM
There is a fine line between being a 'wimp' and 'using precautions.' What you decide is really all that matters. It is also dependant on what type of game/environment you play in. In tourney, padding is outlawed (beyond a specified measure) and in recball, who cares? MilSim...depending on the event, can lead you to battles with forces of 20-50 or more...all pointing their muzzles at you. Do you feel like having a vest on when facing a frontal assault of 200 players coming at you with 70 E-Gripped A5's, 100 M4's and 30 tourney ballers with aftermarket, uncapped semiauto?

PA's SkirmishUSA hosts The Invasion Of Normandy, a 24hour scenario which draws more than 3,000 players. Feel like wearing just a T shirt in that?? Some are (IMO) stupid and do...and they do nothing but whine and complain the rest of the night and into the next morning. Some go in full battle gear...Tac vests, helmets, full fatigues, the works. They complain the least (about 'hits' anyway) and are generally raring to go the next day (outside the hangover).

The choice is solely yours.

I agree with Druid........depends on conditions and number of players. And the heat stroke obviously depends on temperature. I use my vest from cops 911 and normally that's so heavy I don't feel alot of paint nor do I bruise alot. Also with reguards to the heat stoke.......my vest is in excess of 75lbs with 16 pods of 150's and two large air tanks, remote and all the other gear. One thing that really helps is the ice cold water pack on my back.......but that isn't light either. Luckily the vest distributes weight perfectly and once it's on I tend to not notice how heavy it really is! When I'm not wearing my cops911 vest.........I either go without a chest protector especially if there isn't alot of people because I like to play light some days, or I ref in which case I always wear my vest! It is highly likely after a scenario for newer players to come home with a welt on near every inch of their body! Also on the heat stroke issue up here it is rare for us to play in the 90's but common for us to play 4 or 5 months out of the year to play at less than 45 degrees and we have played down to about 12 degrees on mulitple occasions in the snow all day long!

claustrophobia9
05-31-2006, 07:08 PM
wear a cup. 2 is company 3 is a crowd.

Hartwood Avenger
05-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Dude I play senario and i never wear any armor or pads and i pay for it sumtimes but most of the time you wil come out ok .. if your playin woodsball or speed/hyper ball wear sum pads "elbow, knee, neck, chest" just cuz your closer and your sliding around and **** otherwise man if your tuff your body will just take the bruse and make your skin stronger .. only after it heals tho .. any more questions ask

Baller-59
06-01-2006, 07:41 PM
wear a cup. 2 is company 3 is a crowd.
I run faster commando. They wouldn't let me run with the knife:dodgy:

druid
06-01-2006, 08:27 PM
**boom!!headshot**

Triple xXx
06-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Sometimes I get a little tired of people feeling like any type of protection is un-manly. The fact is that it is just plain smart.

The stunters who ride with a T-Shirt and no helmet may one day regret not wearing gear. These skateboarders who don't wear a helmet may one day face a serious head injury. Hockey players who are laughed at for wearing the clear face shield are just plain smart. Sometimes manly is just plain not smart.

If you want to wear gear, wear gear! That's it. Especially if you're not getting paid for it.

Eric182
06-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Getting hit doesn't even really hurt when your running around and you have the adrenaline pumping through you. I sometimes never even notice.

Besides, chicks dig bruises.

Frat
06-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Besides, chicks dig bruises.

Ummmm you realize they are laughing at not with.

If you want to wear armor wear armor I would not think any less of you. Besides I am shooting at your head anyway.

bigred76
06-03-2006, 11:12 AM
IMO, it doesn't matter if you wear aaror or not. It just makes it easier for me to hit your bigger proflie and get more breaks because of that nice, hard chestplate. I choose not to because I don't feel most hits and I am the Bounce-Master. :cool:

On th Edge
06-04-2006, 12:08 AM
armor or not it doesn't matter, IMO anything is better than bare skin. i usually have on a pair of pants, a t-shirt and a jersey and my vest i got at an army surplus store. normally i do fine even in the heat and humidity here in georgia. my friends sometimes play in just a t-shirt and normally they end up with bruises, welts and/or bleeding. (not shooting over 300 fps)
overall, as frat posted, "If you want to wear armor wear armor I would not think any less of you. Besides I am shooting at your head anyway."

druid
06-04-2006, 06:09 AM
ok, look at it this way...

I have a choice every day I go to work. I can put on my Threat Level IIA Body Armor with Stab Resistance and go to work in a non-airconditioned prison...or...I can leave it at home.

...and keep in mind...as of yet, no one's tried to stab or shoot me...yet...What do you think I do?...knowing that the average weapon made or used by an inmate is the size of a 16 penny nail sharpened into ice-pick and 3" long...hmmm?

Different set of circumsatnces, yes - but the theory's the same. It's not mandatory, I choose to wear the armor in case I need it...regardless of the temperature.

SilentStalker
06-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Wear it if you want to wear it. The heat is not something that should affect your decission, just remember to drink alot of fluid.

bigred76
06-05-2006, 08:50 AM
my friends sometimes play in just a t-shirt and normally they end up with bruises, welts and/or bleeding. (not shooting over 300 fps)
My brother did that once... right up until I bunkered him because he wouldn't call himself out and 3 balls went through his shirt. One missed him, but the other two left indents that started oozing. Fun stuff. :) It's a sport, so expect to be hurt. I mean, no good thing comes without pain.

bamf-hacker
06-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Padding/Armour is personal preference. Me, I don't like it. I sweat too much and the more I layer the more I sweat. I will take a few welts and call it a day. Besides inst the goal not to get hit?

HacKeR

SparkyGT
06-05-2006, 09:57 AM
After about the 4th shot in the neck in one day i started wearing a neck guard, wasnt dumb like the others, bought some hockey shorts after a few buddies got shot in the tools. Then bought a flurry vest so i guess it is kind of like armor. Worst place now for me to get hit is in the fingers (bad enough with arthritis) still feel stiff in the knuckle after the last game couple weeks ago

(One time we had a noob all worried about getting shot, he showed up with all his hockey padding, and had a couple of sweaters on, was about 30 cels 85 F. )

Sandman_Bravo
06-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Inside your bicept IS a tender spot. It's like inside your upper thigh, that's where I got popped twice yesterday just inches from my groin when running. Those tender areas hurt, but what are you gonna do? Maybe I'll try the loincloth method of a small towel tucked out of my pants waist to help.

timbertiger20
06-11-2006, 12:46 AM
I've heard kilts are awesome fo that.......never tried it myself though!

druid
06-11-2006, 04:20 AM
Kilts have benefits, not experienced by many Western cultures :D

Ace24
06-13-2006, 05:44 PM
For speedball and reffing, all I wear is a t-shirt and a jersey, and usually my camo pants. Woodsball I wear full camo with t-shirt, camo jacket, and camo pants.

Ace24
06-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Kilts have benefits, not experienced by many Western cultures :D
Well for one... you can feel relief when running and your sweaty... but at the same time.. if you trip, and you have no boxers on... yikes*bad mental image*:p