PDA

View Full Version : delrin swelling?

Halucin8
05-27-2006, 09:24 PM
I have read alot of posts here that say that delrin swells with oil. if that is true(I do Not know one way or the other) why do they have delrin cup seals that are advertised as will not swell. also delrin bolts that say the same thing? Are there more than one type of delrin and if so how do you tell them apart?

bungeye
05-27-2006, 09:30 PM
i dont know if it does swell or not, but just keep unnesessary oil off the bolt, u dont need to oil it.

druid
05-27-2006, 10:29 PM
he doesn't need to oil it if it doesn't have o-rings. If there are o-rings on it, they need to be lubed

Hob Hayward
05-28-2006, 04:09 AM
I've put gold cup on my ACS bolt, doesn't make it swell. Or didn't for me at least.

Frat
05-28-2006, 08:08 PM
According to ACP when I questioned them about their delrin bolts they stated that delrin has more of a chance of swelling from water than from oil. I oil mine.

Halucin8
05-29-2006, 04:09 PM
According to ACP when I questioned them about their delrin bolts they stated that delrin has more of a chance of swelling from water than from oil. I oil mine.

ok that starts another question for me then. Where i live is 80% humidity all year long is that more of a problem then oil?

Frat
05-29-2006, 07:35 PM
My information came Alamo City and I am pasting the e-mail they sent me reguarding it. My line of thinking would be that if it has a light coat of oil or Dow33 it would not be able to absorb water but that is speculation on my part.

The bolts require lube on the o-rings (if applicable). The striker requires lube on its o-ring as well. Delrin will absorb water much more easily than oils. We have not had any problems with swelling from normal use, they have a lifetime warranty against swelling as well (we will repair or replace it).
Thank you,
Max

Alamo City PB