PDA

View Full Version : comp. advice

claustrophobia9
05-27-2006, 06:20 PM
hey guys, my dad said that i cant get a new computer unless i buy it and it is like the suck so im bending the rules. what do you recommend i get if my computer cant play video games well (without me allotting like 2gigs of virtual memory) and still wont load them as well(takes like 10 min to load maps on planetside that take my friends 30-45seconds). here are the specs.

1.5ghz pentium 4 (this is one im looking at getting upgraded to a new pentium 4 running at 3.0ghz for 167 bucks)

256mb sdram (?)

40gb harddrive(this doesnt really matter much, its fast and i have only used like 15 gb of it... except for the 2-4 allotted for virtual memory)

32mb tnt 2 (this is the suck, half the games i want arent compatible... i need cheep recomendations)

thats all i feel like typing. tell me if you need more

claustrophobia9
05-28-2006, 06:26 AM
ok heres what im looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819116198

i would get an amd, but i wont for 3 reasons
-my motherboard is intel compatible, i know this because i already have a pentium 4, so this garuntees it will work
-my dad has intel stock so there is no way hed let me get an amd, expecailly since he wants to sell soon.
-intel sponsors dynasty (i needed a 3rd reason, and its true)

then im still working on a video card, i want an ati, but anything good is fine, and i want something that is garunteed to work easily with just a plug in for <100 bucks so if anyone has a recomendation.

emf7301
05-28-2006, 09:51 AM
I'd say definitely at least a 3.0 Ghz processor (the one you have picked out looks good). You MUST upgrade your RAM. I think you should go up to 1 Gig of RAM, especially with the requirements of the newer games coming out. I'm assuming your motherboard has an AGP slot and not pci express since you have a tnt2 (god, that's old :dodgy:). You should be able to get a nice AGP vid card for a pretty good price since most stuff is going to PCI Express right now. Plus the best AGP vid cards still will work for most current games. Just make sure you find out what type of AGP it is (2x, 4x, 8x), so you get the right vid card.

claustrophobia9
05-28-2006, 09:58 AM
well im not really running new games, were getting a new comp for that, this one is running older games which are still pretty big, and adobe programs such as premire pro and photoshop, etc. i just want it to load the games faster and run with less lag. right now all im playing is planetside and wc3. both have some lag problems (weve tried checking my connection but im running on roaderunner business class (the one for small companies) so its enough to run about 10 computers at high speed interent access, my friends all have the same thing) im assuming my computer cant handle the packets that are coming in and falls behind on sending new ones out. also the load time on everything is a *****. it kept giving me virtual memory errors so im running that at a minimum of 2gb and a max of 4gb, now i have less lag but still more occuring than what my friends get. my comp is ~4-5 years old... i think.

emf7301
05-28-2006, 10:12 AM
before you get a new processor, try getting more ram and possibly a better vid card that has more ram on it too. That should help alot. Having 512 mb or even more ram should be enough to improve alot of stuff

claustrophobia9
05-28-2006, 11:38 AM
i have 256mb ram in there, and i have tons of other sucky computers, think i could gank a 256 from one of those and put it in?
and how do i know if its 180 or 240 pin? do i have to count?
if you could find two (one for 180 pin and one 240) that are going to be ok, and are cheap i would appreciate it.

emf7301
05-28-2006, 02:47 PM
you probably can get a 256 from an old computer given that it's the same type of ram. Considering the age of your computer, it will probably use 168 pin sdram but it wouldn't hurt to check to see if it says what type in the manual if you have it or on the stick of ram that you already have inside the computer.

claustrophobia9
05-28-2006, 05:36 PM
ok heres what im getting, its a message in game while loading a new world saying "your computer has stoped recieveing packets and is trying to recconect..." yatta... but it continues to load the map and the connection is still working fine. so im assuming that my computer falling behind on processing the packets and the game or sony's server is thinking that it disconnected. what should i change to make it load these more seamlessly? im trying to keep it cheap and deal with the computer for another year or two (i get one before i go to college and any money spent now is taken from that money)

TStites
05-28-2006, 05:53 PM
By a HP with a AMD 64 3800+ dual core processor the computer alone cost 800.00 but it comes with 1G of ram. I have one and I have not found a game or any software that can bog the computer down. I play a lot of BF2. I would suggest getting a better video card for it. The computer is ahead of the software so you will not have to worry about upgrading any time soon.

emf7301
05-28-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure exactly what would cause an error message like that except for a bad connection. Your best bet would be to get more ram. ram makes everything run faster in a computer. I could help you more in picking out the right type of ram if could take your current stick of ram out of the computer (after shutting it off of course), take a picture of it and the sticker that should be on it showing what type of ram it is. Put that picture up here and i can tell you what type and speed. My bet is that it's a 168 pin sdram at speed of pc100 or pc133. 168 sdram had a slot in the middle and on one side. pc133 ram is compatible with pc100 but not vice versa. Let me know so i can help you out further.

Edit: Go to www.kingston.com and use their ram search utilities to help you find the right type of ram.

colonel_moo
05-28-2006, 06:46 PM
definatly dont get a new processor yet if everything else is out of date. it wont be worth it, and you would also probably need a new motherboard and power supply. processor speed really isnt the most important thing, and 1.5 ghz really isnt that bad. i suggest just getting some more ram. since is a relatively old computer im assuming, id just replace all your ram, since the stuff you have already probably isnt very fast. shop around and try to pick up a couple of 512 sticks. having over a gig of ram will significantly increase your computer's performance. the next thing i would do is probably get a new video card (you may need to get a new power supply for this as well).

claustrophobia9
05-28-2006, 07:32 PM
By a HP with a AMD 64 3800+ dual core processor the computer alone cost 800.00 but it comes with 1G of ram. I have one and I have not found a game or any software that can bog the computer down. I play a lot of BF2. I would suggest getting a better video card for it. The computer is ahead of the software so you will not have to worry about upgrading any time soon.
i dont think you get it, my brother gets the next computer, not me.. its not my turn, i get the one after he gets one, in two years. im not buying an 800 dollar computer to play a free game. there arent enough computer games to justify an 800 buy that my friends will have something greatly better than in a year. thats why i buy consoles. they are consitant for years and garuntee that the only thing you have to worry about is a connection when it comes to competitive hardware, which i dont have to worry about. the more i rely on my computer/console being better, the worse i become.

my dad can tell me how many pins it is. right now i dont really know if i need a new graphics card, i might if the ram doesnt fix it.

on a small tangent, im actually ashamed at the way we live in America where there is a problem and we just throw money at it and assume it is because of lack of funding. we need to become more effieicent, and squeeze every ounce out of the money we spend. i will not buy a new computer (yet) because nothing is broken. i will upgrade some parts for a much cheaper solution while still achieveing results. and when i do get my computer, im building it.

SniperX
05-28-2006, 07:40 PM
sounds to me that u just need to add more ram just get a stick of 512 *doubt ur computer can handle 768mbs* a and add that with 256 and i think ur using sdram 133 so look around for that, pretty sure u can get those cheap now since they have gone down in price couple months ago, could prolly pick up a stick for around 25$ at best buy or a computer store, also a new AGP 8x card will help you out, i'd say a Nvidia fx5500 and u can get those cheap for around 50$ maybe on newegg.. i just sold one for 20$ about a weekago haha. and u should be fine, if u wanted to upgrade alot more u'd be dishing out more for a new mobo , powersupply , new ram*cant use the old stuff*, new proccessor , and vid card *if u stay with agp u could prolly use the old one but whats the fun in that??* I build and sell rigs for family,friends and coworkers.. and i have a rig just like yours, same proccessor , ammount of ram , 40gb hard drive , same exact vid card.. which sounds to me you might have the same exact computer!:D are you using a older 2001 compaq 5000 series desktop?? :p i have multiple computers in my house. right now im using my gaming rig to post to u all, *specs* ASUS sli mobo , 1GB dual channeled DDR400 , 120GB ata133 HD , 80GB SATA , two Geforce 6800GT's in sli and a AMD64/ht socket 939 3000+ Hopefully we are all helping you

SniperX
05-28-2006, 07:56 PM
im actually ashamed at the way we live in America where there is a problem and we just throw money at it and assume it is because of lack of funding. we need to become more effieicent, and squeeze every ounce out of the money we spend.

sounds to me that you might want to overclock! haha i feel the same way i spent 600$ total yes 600$ total for my gaming rig that plays everygame out there on max that i throw at it.. for example.. Battlefield 2 and SF , AA , Farcry , call of duty , call of duty 2 , fear and alot more. as in over clocking you can push that 1.3ghz p4 up to 1.7ghz if u really wanted with out payin a dime. my step bro bought the same HP with dual core like the other guy in here for 1200$.. yet my 600$ rig runs laps around it and my rig aint OC'd yet. in 2 years and u get your chance for a new computer.. build one.. dont be like the other guys paying an extra couple hundred more for the little HP logo on there case

emf7301
05-28-2006, 09:29 PM
unless you buy stuff in bulk or got one hell of a deal, i don't see how you were able to build your rig for 600. The 2 6800GT's together cost 500. Please enlighten me to your other moneysaving means!

claustrophobia9
05-29-2006, 06:34 AM
unless you buy stuff in bulk or got one hell of a deal, i don't see how you were able to build your rig for 600. The 2 6800GT's together cost 500. Please enlighten me to your other moneysaving means!my friend has the prime of the lan parties with 400 bucks. i have no idea hwo he did it and he wont tell me.

and sniper im really not sure what you are saying... the first lines make sense in each post but then it sorta turns into rambling of some sort. so since i only got the first line ill ask the question: why can my computer not handle 768mbs?

Hob Hayward
05-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Ah thats a tough descision there, if your mobo has an AGP slot, tnt2 is very old so I don't even know if it would, I'd get the nvidia 6600gt, its good and ~100$. Also get some more ram, its not even worth getting a faster processor if your ram is too slow or you have too little, basically that comp isn't really worth putting money into, because theres no cheap way to get somthing out of it. First thing I'd do is grab some more ram. There is no reason why you can't use 768megs of ram.

As as suggestion, next time you get a new a comp, or are going to massively upgrade check here, because if you build a comp you save hundreds, and get a better comp than you would if you bought say a dell.

Luckily for me, I was able to build the comp I'm on now from spare stuff left in my dad's office from upgrading over and over. 1ghz Pc (P3 based so compared to a P4 its around 1.3 ghz) 384 mbs of pc100 (worst part of the comp and holds it down for speed) and an nvidia ti4200+ 128mb. Runs stuff like halo maxed out when I'm running in windows, great comp and cost me nothing...

SniperX
05-29-2006, 01:17 PM
sry bout the rambling i was kinda yeah... last nite, what i was tryin to say is your Mobo might have a limit like mine did, mine wouldnt accept a gig but it accepted 768mb of ram*this is my old 1.3 ghz p3 based celeron*, because my mobo wouldnt allow. avarage memory limit in current mobos is around 4gb, give us pics of your beast.. this will allow us to better understand your rig and help us figure out how to help you. Take a pic of the mobo a really nice close up pic or high res. and yeah im not giving out the money saving secret..

claustrophobia9
05-29-2006, 01:22 PM
ok ill see what i can do. basically i never turn this comp off, so when windows does an autoupdate (basically whenever i have a report due) ill tkae the case of and get some nudes while its sleeping :dodgy:

warpspyder
05-29-2006, 04:00 PM

yes! this is the way to go. its a little pricy, but will def pay off in the long run!

claustrophobia9
06-04-2006, 09:08 AM
ok well i talked to my dad and here is the outcome, he WILL NOT pay for upgrades, and i WILL NOT get a new computer until i go to college, but he WILL pay for every penny of a computer that i build from parts because he believes the learning expirience will be worth the money, all i need are esentials, and soemthing that will run some games and programs for maybe a year or two, after that it goes to his office and i get a new one. ill keep you guys posted on what im going to do. there are only a few things i want:

price MUST be <800 with ALL things, thats power supply ( i may have one that works in my basement), mobo, ram, case, everything

must be AMD processor.

must have an ATI video/graphics card.

no monitors, no keyboards, no mouse. i have all of those and they dont bother me (except keyboard... its mf'in loud so im getting a 20 buck logitec at best buy soon, but dont worrry about it)