PDA

View Full Version : Metal shavings INSIDE brand new gun!!!

Xtreme-D
05-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi everyone!
I hate to post bad stuff as a "first post", but i thought it might help someone else avoid some trouble.

i had trouble with my brand new Sonix Pro leaking air around the line fittings. it wasn't too bad, so i started popping off paint just to check accuracy ect. that was my first mistake. once i finally took it apart, i noticed metal shavings in the bottom of the "x-chamber" foregrip!!! (prolly from drilling/tapping the airline hole) i believe some of the metal worked it's way through the system too, because it leaks air out of the barrel now...which it didn't do until after i had run about 200 rounds through it.

anyone else had any problems like this?
i'm sorry if i messed up any of the lingo, as this is my first week in paintball.

D

ShadowX
05-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Yeah, sometimes Spyders will just randomly leak from the airlines... I have had it happen before.. And the reason it is now leaking from the barrel, is because some of those metal shavings probably came in contact with your cup seal and scuffed it up a little bit, and that will cause it to leak from the barrel... Also, I suggest switching to macroline and that will solve your leaking problems... Also Macroline is very to replace/maintain...

Yea, if you head down to your local proshop, they should have the Cupseal and maybe a Macro set-up for you...

Hope I was Help!

bigred76
05-22-2006, 04:03 PM
You can't stick a macro set-up on a stock Spyder ASA (duckbill) or foregrip, they're different threads (Spyders have metric threading, macro and the rest of the after market parts are NPT). Other than that, I agree with the problem being the cupseal with leaking out the barrel.

Welcome to the forums. :) For your first post, you did an excellent job of getting the lingo down! :waytogo:

ooglieboogliebob
05-22-2006, 04:40 PM
yep .. cupseal usually is the problem .. unless your valve has something wrong with it .. (dent) for it not to seal, but thats highly doubted ..

You can make your gun to 1/8"NPT ... (Tim lies ;)) ... you just needa Tap the ASA and Foregrip to 1/8"NPT and then your ready to go, although the ASA won't fully tap and you have a fitting going in only half way like the one i have ...

But besides that ... welcome to the forums !!!

vwjimmy
05-22-2006, 04:53 PM
you can put a macro line set up on your spyder several ways
I have a few spyder threaded macro fittings but I can't find any lately so
I use these adapters....
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=-vYd7Zvh8PYd1d-ToWDdRZE18tvYJEKrsr4=?ProductID=HvysFAY7FnoAAAD3de OlA_2s
no tapping or modifying necessary......
don't forget the new cup seal too!!! :D

thechubbss12
05-23-2006, 03:33 AM
Humm i wouldnt only suggest getting a new cup seal but also pick up a new valve. http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=-soqLwjZ4MwqEkyrCDzqhwINsqUPPDwFYWs=?ProductID=8Uas FAY7sIYAAAD8i%2eOLdoWL and if you buy the valve then you dont have to buy another cupseal cause it comes with one =).

Cheap valve can make a huge diffrence in performance....

bamf-hacker
05-25-2006, 06:01 AM
welcome to the boards...

Your gun should have come with an extra cup seal. Take apart your whole gun, you can watch the videos on the Kingman site HERE (http://www.kingman.com/section/support/videos/videos.html) that will walk you though doing the breakdown. Clean everything, re-lube and change the cup seal. As for your leaky hoses, get some Teflon tape or liquid thread sealer, Loctite 545, and reseal the fittings. I agree with the others that Macro is the way to go, but that would involve and expense on your part. For now I say do the other stuff, get the gun working again, then replace the hoses.

HacKeR

Xtreme-D
06-02-2006, 10:15 PM
thanx alot everybody! very helpful folks here! i DID in fact put teflon tape on all the line fittings. and it cured the problem of the leaky lines. but the funny thing is, i ran a few more balls through it after i got the line good and sealed......the leak from the barrel seemed to stop. i think maybe a chunk of metal got wedged between a seal and the body of the gun, then just worked it's way out after a few shots. i'll take it down to it's bare parts when i get a chance to check for scratches ect. to be honest, i don't really wanna do any upgrading right now. i just wan't something that will shoot descently for cheap. i got the sonix "pro" kit from d1cks sporting goods. gun, hopper, 12 oz tank, mask, 2 add'l 20 oz tanks, and all 3 tanks filled for $130 tax included. (i had a coupon! LOL!)
i haven't even used it yet, and it's been about a month!

oh, and fwiw, i went on vacation, and forgot to check back here afterward! sorry!

thanx again everyone!

D