PDA

View Full Version : Lens Question

divvichild
05-21-2006, 08:27 AM
I noticed in the manual for my lens that i says i should replaced them every time i take a shot directly to the lens. Is this true? Generally, i get shot only the head/arms, so ive taken quite a few shots the lens. Yesterday, i took about 4 in one day. Should i replace?

smakdacrak
05-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Hahahaha no I dont think so. The company just wants more money lol. Theres no need to change the lens unless it fogs constantly or if too scratched to see.

druid
05-21-2006, 12:22 PM
hahahhaha
...:dodgy:

I DO think so...read this and decide for yourself.

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=2292

It's not so much they are trying to get more money out of you...it's that the lenses are made of plastic. It's only as impact resistant as the first micro-cracks allow it to be. You can't see them, you can't anticipate them other than they will rear their ugly head at the worst possible moment. Once the lens is weakened, it takes very little to shatter them completely. If you play with weakened lenses (whether you know it or not), it's your fault if you lose an eye.

When you buy a brand new mask, you should budget for an extra set of lenses. If you buy used, you should change them right away regardless of what they look like...and get an extra set of lenses. They should be changed once a year REGARDLESS of condition.
Your eyes aren't something you should be gambling with.

thechubbss12
05-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Replace if you see a crack in it... Other then that do what Smak said

divvichild
05-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Yeh, i checked my lens today. There are a few scratches but there are also a few REALLY DEEP scratches which could be cracks. Im probably gonna replaced them before I play next. Any lenses that you guys would recomend? I have Jt Flex 8 goggles.

druid
05-21-2006, 05:09 PM
depends...mirrored or blue for sunny days in an open field...clear/yellow/burnt orange for dark areas or indoor

take your goggles to the proshop and have them sell you the appropriate design for your flexes but I'd say any lense made for the JT should fit. Get thermals

Frat
05-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Ditto on the thermals and I agree with Druids first post. You can not take too much care when it comes to your eyes. A paintball is heavy and can have allot of energy. I kid you not and it was a point blank shot but I saw a hopper that had been broken and penetrated by a paintball. It was a brass eagle hopper and the paintball was a Diablo Heat. The paintball broke through the side of the hopper. Thermals in addition to being fog resistance are generally dual pain which give an extra layer of protection. I would still change them though if you took a direct hit on them at close range. Also there is no way I would willingly play with a single pane lense.