PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I waited long enough....

vikingshadow
05-20-2006, 04:41 PM
It seems this isn't going to have any outcome on the Non spyder of the month, so I thought I'd post my newest toy! It's not a super great picture because the weather is getting stormy here and it's a little overcast (hooray!) and yes, the one you saw Otter post and what I posted is actually mine!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/phantompump.jpg

Three color anno - green and brown on black...I wanted something that looked good on the speedball field and would be camo'd a bit in the woods. This is it! The brown is kind of bronze'ish and it looks great in person - pictures don't do it justice!

I got it today around 10:30....after waiting quite awhile, through no fault of who I ordered it from. It was actually me we were waiting on at the beginning of the contest, but oh well! :p I picked up 20 tubes and speed caps and a 3.5 oz tank as well...

Anyway, I took it out to play today in the 104 degree weather. I was using the little 12 grams instead of the tank today. Interesting day of play. Got to the field at 12:30 and no one was there. Well, crap! Fortunately, didn't have to wait for air because I already had the 12 grams so I loaded her up and took her to the chrono station to do a little target practice.

WOW! Shot about 40 on the first 12 gram and most were in a little 6-8 inch pattern, minus the few that were a bit off at first. It's a strange feeling gun, and bit difficult to get used to, but I stuck it out!

A few kids showed up and I sent one down to get the owner to open up (he lives on the property. When he finally got there, he recruited me to help him a bit (for free, of course.) I was just waiting until some of the older guys got there anyways, so no big deal. About 2:00 rolls up (104* out) here they come so we headed out into the woods after they spent a few minutes - about 15-20 minutes - admiring my new toy. First game was 9 vs 4, we played the younger guys against the four of us older guys.

It was a VERY slow game, but I was holding my own keeping the right flank down, shot for shot. Bit nerve racking though, because I could see the guys, and I would normally have sent 4-5 balls at them, but had to settle for one shot and my acuracy wasn't up to par yet. About 15 minutes in, I managed to hit one guy *yippee!!!* and so I worked my way back to the left side of the field.

From there, I partnered up with a guy who had a Custom 98 and we moved up. He would throw some paint and I would bump up. Then I would shoot a couple and he would bump. Finally, I managed to take off running AROUND the other team - here's the funny part - with my Redz pants falling down! I usually have a harness holding them up somewhat, but I was harnessless today...so with one hand holding my pants up and the other pushing tree branches aside, I made it all the way around the team.

However, before I could make it all the way to where the other team was, I got in a bit of a skirmish and did what anyone else would do - retreated to the back of the field out of reach, then began to work my way up again...by the time I reached the other team, they had been shot out by my team. However, my team did say it was because the opposition was actually focusing more on me than them, so I managed to help a bit!

Fast forward to speedball...I played a few one on ones with the pump... Actually one two games! The onlookers were laughing because I was bobbing in and out around my bunker (dorito) like any good tournament player would - only I would shoot once then disappear while I was pumping my gun, then pop out and shoot again, then disappear. The guy I was playing was really laying the paint down, so it was difficult, but he told me I almost hit him several times before I got him on the hand.

The next game I traded one for one with him at the same time...so I count that as a semi sort of victory....I was shooting a pump for crying out loud! Everyone made fun of that guy because I was beating him...

Then I had to drag the shocker out so I could lay some paint down myself...just had to do it! Something's wrong with it though - I think I blew an oring, so I have to work on it.

You know that 3.5 oz tank I had? I never got to use it. Stupid me left it in the back of my car and towards the end of the day, it blew a burst disc! So, by the end of the day, I had 3 confirmed shoot outs, and had only gotten out once. Not too bad for my first day of pump play.

However, when I came home I was going to let my wife shoot it, but when I put the twelve gram in, I noticed I have a leak - not sure if it's on the hard line or in the changer though...have to check it out...Oh! Does anyone else have a problem with unscrewing the changer by accident while you're playing???? I need to work on that! :rolleyes:

DRAGON
05-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Nice 'P' Vik. You're just going to have to work on the pump thing a little more. Not that difficult to pop out in speedball game and get a few shots off before popping back in. If your shots are relatively accurate and you pump them off fast, no matter what the opposition is shooting you can get more than one shot because the other shooter will be tagged otherwise. Was the pump arm spring removed or did you do that yourself? I removed the one on my newer 'P', I couldn't stand it -

vikingshadow
05-20-2006, 04:58 PM
I haven't removed it yet, but I've thought about it. Would it make it more smooth? It seems kind of tight to pump right now...

DRAGON
05-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Sry......I do not see the spring in that pic. WTF? W/O the spring, the pump action is much less restrictive. The reason it's there is so the bolt is assured to be completely closed when shooting. If it isn't, pressure escapes and your shots get weird. I'm just used to not having it and feels foreign to me -

Hob Hayward
05-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Hehe, You basically got the smae thing I did except you got the stock, I shoulda too...

Looks nice, I'm still getting the hang of mine too, its weird to shoot/aim at first, but I'm gettin the hang of it, its really accurate, but difficult to get the hang of.

QAZ123
05-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Look's good man and sound's like you had a pretty good first day!

Your pump will be a little stiff until you break in the bolt a little. Most of my teammates with phantom's cut two ring's off the spring but I personally kept my spring full on my phantom's as I like it to be able to return on it's own. It comes down to preferance on that one!

Sound's like you were getting good efficiency on those 12 grams sure wish I could get that around here!

You'll have to make a trip and meet up with me in St. Louis sometime as I think I'm gonna play pump xball on a cppa team called Gagg (God's Air Gun Guru's) at one of there league event's!

JB.

DRAGON
05-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Sound's like you were getting good efficiency on those 12 grams sure wish I could get that around here!.........

I'm thinking that the slightly better than normal efficiency is due to, he mentioned that the temp was over 100*. The hotter the conditions w/C02 the better efficiency you'll get -

QAZ123
05-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah that's what I mean. It's back down to 56 degrees here today!:mad:

JB.

DRAGON
05-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Yeah that's what I mean. It's back down to 56 degrees here today!:mad:

JB.

Woah, that's cold! That's our normal lows around here in the dead of winter lol - ;)

Hob Hayward
05-21-2006, 01:38 PM
I've been getting at least 38-42 shots per 12 gram and its been only 70* when I've tested it.

vikingshadow
05-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Well, I thought about the efficiency thing that you guys were talking about, and since I'm something of a technical nut, I decided to test it. Plus, I really wanted to shoot my new gun today, LOL!

It was mid to upper 90's when I did this test, but 87 degrees in the shade on my back porch (read by digital thermometer) and no breeze - doesn't matter to the gun, but it did to me! I was sweating! I was using Nelsplat and shooting approx. 50-60 ft. The first tests were shooting hot, so I think that affected the number of shots I got also.

1st 12 gram: (three shots didn't register on the chrono. Also, this was done after the 12 grams and gun came directly outside from the air conditioning?)

291 301 306
295 299 310
277 307 295
340 300 299
293 302 289
302 288 275
311 295 268
273 325 ( (accidently let gas out - stupid twist thing!)
302 299 262
301 302 220
296 347 182

As you can see, it was shooting hot. But I just wanted to see how many shots I could get. There was some inconsistancy, but possibly due to gun not being broken in yet? I also noticed if I didn't really cock it completely, less gas was released when fired - or is this my imagination?

2nd 12 gram: (still shooting hot, but much more consistant. 12 grams were in my pocket and the gun had been outside. 4 shots not registered on the chrono...)

310 304 305
310 299 306
314 306 302
304 306 303
310 301 306
301 324 297
309 309 303
310 304 298
300 308 295
302 289 298
124??? (half cocked?) 296
304 315 301
305 249

As you can see, MUCH more consistant, though still hot! I decided to turn the gun down...

3rd 12 gram:

286 285 283
307 (laid gun down with gas on and went inside for a minute to get more paint.)
303 285 308 287 297
276 286 285 273 283
300 287 298 280 286
309 293 276 280 280
322 280 281 299 256
292 291 301 289
308 283 281 289
298 278 284 300
282 288 287 306

Wow! Pretty consistant and quite a few more viable shots...It's important to note that when chrono speed reached unacceptable speeds (under 250 fps) I stopped recording and ejected the cylinder. I could have probably got 2 or 3 more slooooowwww shots out of it, but what's the point? Once they decide they're empty, they don't mess around, do they?!

Oh, I began to notice something as well. The speed of the shot was dependent on the depth to which I rocked the gun to load the next ball. A deep rock, pointing the barrel almost down to the ground, resulted in a HUGE gain in the next 2 or 3 shots. I assume this is because the liquid gets into the gun. A less angled, or non angled reload, led to almost perfect consistancy with the next shot. Something for me to remember!

DRAGON
05-21-2006, 03:33 PM
.......... Something for me to remember!

Here's something to remember; get a constant air ASA for the back and forget about those pain in da butt 12g's. You can either anti-siphon C02 or get one of those small HPA tanks. Your shots will be a bit more consistent especially with the HPA. If you're not getting into specifically 'stock play', there's really no sense in haggling with the 12g's -

That's another thing that's so great about the Phanton, I'd venture to say it's the most versitile pump marker configuration wise available. As you suspected, a portion of the inconsistency could be due to the 'new' nature of it. You may see an improvement after things like springs are a bit more broken in -

OtterSC
05-22-2006, 03:10 AM
me, i am pretty compfortable with a 4oz on the VA. the weight is distributed in the middle. plus, add a direct feed and really get to use the auto-trigger for fast firing. :)

excellent marker! how long did it actually take you to get that beauty. :)

vikingshadow
05-22-2006, 03:46 AM
about 2 days from my dealer **cough**OTTER**cough** LOL! But he had to wait forever to get it from CCI.....

Poor guy had to suffer because of me the whole time, though!

OtterSC
05-22-2006, 04:37 AM
oh, never minded the PM's..... the tons and tons of PM's. like a little brat... "is it there yet.... is it there yet.... how much longer..." etc..etc.. etc.

vikingshadow
05-22-2006, 05:03 AM
Hahaha!

vwjimmy
05-22-2006, 07:27 AM
LOL!!! Otter!!
it's awesome Vike!!

Hob Hayward
05-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Is there a place that sells the 3.5 or 4 oz. tanks for cheaper than wevo?

Oh and vike, with consistency the SAME exact thing happened to me, I thought not cocking all the way or hard enough led to slow shots, I also got the random uber slow shots, but not after having gone through alot more it MUCH more consistent, I'm thinking of getting a ca adapter so I can use the tanks I have, but I like the lightness of the phantom, I feel free using it, its really weird, especially when I picked up a spyder after afew rounds of using my phantom...

QAZ123
05-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Naw wevo is probably the cheapest.

I'll sell ya an old 4 oz for $20 shipped though.

JB.

vikingshadow
05-30-2006, 03:42 AM
I still haven't even used my 3.5 oz tank, but filled and emptied it twice, LOL! I'm still using the 12 grams, and one thing I noticed is that Dragon and QAZ are pretty much right about the efficiency. Wasn't nearly as hot yesterday and was getting about 30 decent shots.