PDA

View Full Version : Not really new, but cool!

vikingshadow
05-20-2006, 04:26 AM
Water's gonna get expensive! (http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/05-15-06pageWaterasfuel.htm)

pman15
05-20-2006, 05:45 AM
well,good thing we have enough water right now,but making cars run on water to is very critical because the cars running on water would be the car everyone in the world would want to drive.making cars run on water is critical.

MatthewTheTheif
05-20-2006, 06:19 AM
thats crazy, i wonder if it will be able to run on salt water, or would it have to be purified?

colonel_moo
05-20-2006, 07:27 AM
it could probably run off non-purified water, because its not like those other chemicals are bonded to the water, its just dissolved in it. although i dont know, cause having salt etc. in the water makes it conductive (pure water isnt really conductive at all) so that may affect the electrolysis.

claustrophobia9
05-20-2006, 07:41 AM
well the salts stay behind, making the water more pure. nasa runs their space shuttles on water (h2 gas/liquid(? i dont think they can make h2 a liquid easily can they?) and o2 liquid in half the quanity) it burns and the two bond. so really water power is very much possible, what youd use as an oil might be different though...

MatthewTheTheif
05-20-2006, 07:41 AM
and on top of that, it would take more electricity to get the impurities out before it seperates

claustrophobia9
05-20-2006, 07:43 AM
and on top of that, it would take more electricity to get the impurities out before it seperates
impurities help the water in electolysis, the impurities generally stay behind when hydrogen and oxygen seperate and become gasses. what would be interesting would be a car that converts them, and has a compressor running on power generated by the wheels spinning that puts it semi compressed as a water into a new tank so it doesnt drip. then when you get to the gas station the rain shield thats over it would be a basin so water flows into a pipe for a holding area when it rains, and would be a solar pannel so it gains electricity to help make your "gas", then when you put the nozzle in your car it drains you h2o storage and fills your gas storage.

MatthewTheTheif
05-20-2006, 07:46 AM
oh...i guess electolysis doesnt involve boiling?

claustrophobia9
05-20-2006, 07:52 AM
oh...i guess electolysis doesnt involve boiling?
no you boil to get water pure then you add it to specific salts/electroytes then run electricity through it which will seperate hydrogen and oxygen. the electrolytes are similar to a catylist(sp. sorry vike) because they arent used up in the reaction but by definition i believe they arent actually one.

MatthewTheTheif
05-20-2006, 07:58 AM
oh, so instead of having to place the salts IN for electolysis, you could just use salt water and not add anything?

claustrophobia9
05-20-2006, 06:15 PM
oh, so instead of having to place the salts IN for electolysis, you could just use salt water and not add anything?
well some salts work better than others but yea, you could basically run it off of coastal ocean water.