PDA

View Full Version : ULT. Energy Drink Thread

claustrophobia9
05-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Well, Musicfest came again at my school, for those of you who don't member basically its a free day where almost anything goes, including grills, tvs/consoles, bands playing etc. well anyway i started the day with a trip to kroger and picked up some energy drinks, my friends say im nearly an expert and ive gotten it down to a science to i figured id share.

Background(Warning: you may learn something, if you dont want to learn, just tldr this section)
Caffeine is a commonly found and searched for aspect of energy drinks and sodas. The problem is that people don't understand the concept of caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant but really it is more like a toxin which doesn't make you go WOOSH! Your body is the part that makes WOOSH, and caffeine just makes your body do that. When caffeine enters your bloodstream it is circulated it reaches your nerves. Your nerves "mistake" caffeine as adenosine which is the chemical that tells your brain that you are tired, or your muscles are tired. The caffeine stays on the nerves (with a halflife in a human of 6hours) and since it only looks like adenosine and doesn't chemically act like it, your nerves are blocked and your body isn't told that it is tired. So instead of slowing down because of the adenosine level, the cells speed up. You can see that caffeine also causes the brain's blood vessels to constrict, because it blocks adenosine's ability to open them up. Your brain gets increased movement and the pituitary gland sees this and assumes there must be an emrgency, releasing adrenaline (this makes you go WOOSH!) effects are:
* Your pupils dilate.
* Your breathing tubes open up (this is why people suffering from severe asthma attacks are sometimes injected with epinephrine).
* Your heart beats faster.
* Blood vessels on the surface constrict to slow blood flow from cuts and also to increase blood flow to muscles. Blood pressure rises.
* Blood flow to the stomach slows.
* The liver releases sugar into the bloodstream for extra energy.
* Muscles tighten up, ready for action.

if you'll notice 2 things for later: blood flow to stomach slows and liver releases sugar... (well talk about that later)

now you know the background of what caffeine does, well discuss why this makes a difference in choosing the energy drink for you.

READ HERE
There are a few other common things found in energy drinks/some sodas:

GINSENG, an herb that has the know effect of reducing risk of cancer, releave physical and emotional stress, improves circulation, and helping oxidize blood, delivers what your muscles need faster. unfortuantly it takes a long time to grow and contribues to high prices on the product.

GUARANA, made well known by BAWLS, this fruit has the most naturally occuring caffeine of any fruit, it also helps oxidize blood.

MALTODEXTRIN, a carbohydrate/enzyme that acts as a fuel for your body to use, it is very easy for the body to break down and make sugars of (which your liver releases while in "shock" from caffeine.

TAURINE, reduces risk of cardiovascular diseases, hypercholesterolemia, epilepsy and other seizure disorders, macular degeneration, Alzheimer's disease, hepatic disorders, alcoholism, and cystic fibrosis; also is an enzyme which is good, it is also used to help people loose wieght, excess causes hypertension, although you will never get that much from a drink. very abundant and can be found in anything from bacteria to animal tissue, so it is fairly cheep compared to others.

FRUITS, you know the stuff that grows in patches or on trees, its natures gift, those used are sometimes exotic but almost always citric. citruis is a natuatly antitoxant, making you healthier. Fruits also tend to have alot of sugars, and enzymes. guarana is one, but it deserved a group of its own. some you may see are: passion fruit, pineapple, orange, lemon, lime, grape, peach, pear, apple. some have higher levels of caffeine and alone make a good energy drink supplement such as a shot of pure lemon juice (can be fround at kroger in a bottle near fruits, may make some throw up, lime will almost definately make you throw up as it tastes like liquid cleaner)

Analysis
you are looking for a drink with:
ALL of the previous aspects, fruit i will comment on.
* has less carbonation than a soda - since caffeine slows blood to your stomache, it won't be good to have it full of gas, youll get the farts.
*has a sugar and caffeine ratio that fits your ideal plan for it, bawls is a STARTER meaning it relies on you already having some energy, but needing for it to be released, others are uppers which give you energy and use it.
*has fruit that you like, i have to say MONSTER KHOAS gave me the best buzz ever, but it really tasted aweful, it had so many fruits it was like i was drinking the juices that drip from the salad bar.

Recomendations
MORNINGS: BAWLS, ENERGY (by snapple)
BRUNCH: BAWLS, ENERGY, MONSTER ASSUALT, AMP, NOS>
LUNCH:ENERGY, ASSUALT, AMP
AFTERNOON: ENERGY, ASSUALT, AMP
NIGHT: ENERGY, ASSUALT, AMP
BUDGET: ENERGY

overall i recommend energy (elements) by snapple, the stuff has no carbonation, 3 flavors and and everything but guaranna (has unnatural caffiene) it is in a silver tall bottle and costs about half of what everything else does. it may be a bit fruity for some people, i prefer the blue one, rain (white grape and some wierd cactus)

http://www.spgevents.com/coy/images/bs.gif

Warning
caffeine has been know to be bad for a few reasons:
*its not actually addictive on a subconscious level except if you have made a habit, it has been know to be addictive because it causes headaches when your body actually gets the chemical that is blocked in a large quanity.
*it can cause heart problems because of high blood pressure before consumption, but if you get alot of taurine before, you may not need to worry as much.
*it may cause you to write a long thread
*when your body goes into an a state of shock, if there is no sugar to be used it may actually begin taking CALCIUM, a necessity to building bones and bone marrow, which makes blood cells, which carry oxygen,,, and converting it to sugars, this is bad for your overall health and should be avoided, when in doubt of if you have enough sugars before consuming caffeine, eat a candy bar. if you think you may have abused it previously, drink a non chocolate (choc. has caffeine, reversing effects) milk.

claustrophobia out.

tldr? dont care.

pman15
05-19-2006, 08:16 PM
:darth: to much words give me a headache!lol

MatthewTheTheif
05-19-2006, 09:03 PM
so, having a drink with ginseng is good to counter the bad effects of caffiene? cool, didnt know that...

for some reason, i never get a real "WHOOSH" from energy drinks, i just seem to wake up more (i only drink them when im tired), and even when im not tired, they just seem to make me stay up longer, not be hyper

i work at Target, a retail/grocery store (walmart competitor) so i have tried a few good and bad ones, so heres my list

~Bawls-good mellow taste, good energy, cool bottle, pricey, small serving per price.

~Monster-good taste, great energy boost, pricey, good amount per can (16oz)

~Full Throttle (coke)-best taste out of all (imo), good energy, 16oz can, reasonable price

~No Fear (***e)-very salty taste, if you like sparkling water or champagne you'll like it. Ok energy, good price, good serving

~Caution (arizona)-sweet-tea taste, great price ($.48 when i got it) ok serving, good energy

~Red Bull-worst tasting (imo), ok energy, decent price, small cans

~Rockstar Energy- ok taste, great energy, pricey, big cans

they all cost about $1.50-$2 for me, so really, its just the amount you get compared to the price, next time i can get some and compare all the ingredients if you want

Nader
05-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Ever tried XS? They're great, they sponser XSF...I think

And they have ton's of flavors, taste great, and provide long lasting energy.

big_daddy_d
05-20-2006, 12:07 AM
think it was XS that I took, my resting heartrate was 137 bpm, yeah that was the last time i drank that...

Claus didnt list my personal favorite, REDBULL and VODKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fixed!

vikingshadow
05-20-2006, 04:31 AM
Vike didnt list my personal favorite, REDBULL and VODKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

???????? I just read this thread...I've only had one energy drink before - red bull - which was ok.

I actually prefer water, tea or Diet Pepsi Vanilla....

claustrophobia9
05-20-2006, 07:46 AM
red bull - which was ok.

I actually prefer water i cut out the rest because this is the most meaningful. a few things i would recommend...

stay away from redbull
stay away from coke products that assume a role as energy drinks:
*vault... this one just bothers me, IT ISNT AN ENERGY DRINK, they are misleading you by saying "it kicks like an energy drink", no.... it doesn't, cuz it contains the same ingriedients (except a change in flavor and dye) as coke.
*tab.... if you drink this dont even bother going outside.
*full throttle, cheep by a horrible balance of ingridiends ,make it gross to some, ineffective to others, and a downer for others, almost everyone that i know that has had it (against my suggestion) along with myself have hated it.
*coke black, i guess its like coffee, but the point of an energy drink isnt to BE coffee, id say it wasnt intended for the croud that drinks energy drinks so keep it that way, plus its gross.

i havent tried the tea, that looks decent.
i did like NOS(with the arrow, like the icons on cars) because of its flavor which surprised me. Ive never tried regular monster i just tried assualt and liked it cuz it tasted like this uber rare all natural energy drink my friends mom gets its like "blood ___(fruit)___" and its amazing, all i know is it has blood in the name. one more reccomendation for bawls sugarfree and monster low carb or any other that is similar:

DONT. this isnt a drink for low carb diets, diets of which have been proved to cause bad breath, and gas. why take fuel away from a fire you WANT to start dont do it.

and here are 2 homemade ones and one idea pallet for all of you brave souls with very very strong stomaches....

Mountain dew + icecream (heathy, not nonfat or lowfat, flavor of your choice, be careful chocolate made me puke, vinella didnt; it will cause the drink to foam and make a nasty covering, id reccomend scraping it off, or if you are very brave just eat or drink it)

pure lemon shots (you could try lemon, but i wouldnt dare)(first time you may want to water it down, but this stuff will put a shiver down your spine)

any citrus drink alone or plus a high caffeine drink will do, its up to you. none of these have ginseng, or maltodextrin, some may have taurine but not to my knowlege.

create responsibly, and dont use alcohol because it is a downer and will mess up the combonation.

MatthewTheTheif
05-20-2006, 08:46 AM
yeah, i think that low-carb monster is a really good idea. WEll, any low carb energy drink is a good idea, cause your body has to burn through the carbs before it can get to the sugar, so if you want a quicker boost, get low carb

lemon juice is supposed to be really good for you.

anc claus, i dont know where you could find the tea one, its just here at the little snack bar in target, if i find a pack of it id be happy to get it and ship it

claustrophobia9
05-20-2006, 08:50 AM
yeah, i think that low-carb monster is a really good idea. WEll, any low carb energy drink is a good idea, cause your body has to burn through the carbs before it can get to the sugar, so if you want a quicker boost, get low carb

lemon juice is supposed to be really good for you.

anc claus, i dont know where you could find the tea one, its just here at the little snack bar in target, if i find a pack of it id be happy to get it and ship it no i said low carb is bad. in general i see people get sleepy faster with those because you want carbs. theyre what ur body uses to run. and without them your energy timer is alot lower. and i have arizona tea by the 16oz here im just hesitant cuz i hate tea. there are like 4 flavors. and my mistake on the snapple, its called "elements energy" and there are 4, earth, wind, fire, and rain. ive had rain.

lmeon juice is uber but it just burns the nostrills and sends a real shiver down your spine.

thechubbss12
05-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Untimate energy drink... wait there is no way.. wait... no it is..... A balanced diet and exercise plan..... thats right eat healthy and stay in shape... no reason for that lame caffine or energy drink =)....

I figured some health freak needed to say this so i took the time....

Although Clause this is a awesome thread but i thought it needed to be told how it is and not what it could be....

claustrophobia9
05-21-2006, 07:40 AM
a balanced diet doesnt taste as good as what people want, and unfortunately that is what most of our society bases meal choice on. look at me, i had cookies for breakfast(no not cookie crisp, cerial sucks). why? because im a teenager and have an extremely high metabolism.