PDA

View Full Version : Awesome!

vikingshadow
05-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Well, this school year is almost over and thank God! I'm beat!

As some of you may or may not know, I was the grade level chairperson this year and for the last month, on top of doing all my regular teaching and technology duties, I've been in charge of all the good behavior things (for kids with "good behavior"), setting up field trips, doing the entire grade level inventory, my own classroom inventory, awards assembly stuff, being a DJ at a dance (interesting - for the first time in years, the students actually "danced" at this dance!), and to top it off, I'm instituting a 5th grade Fun Day Festival on the last day of school which I hope will become a yearly event which has occupied almost every bit of my spare time for the last week and a half, as well as countless other little things that needed taking care of.... Needless to say, I'm really ready for school to be over!

Well, I've been getting a stomach thing over the last days (imagine that???) and today was our awards assembly. Not really relishing going up on stage to present awards with a VERY sour stomach and possibly having to run for the restroom, I sat there half in, half out of it - not really listening...there was this guy from the Masons on stage talking about a lot of stuff the Masons do for education and the history of the group (lot of Da Vinci code/knights of the Templar type stuff) and handing out the Masonic Students of Today awards, when he says that he's also here to announce the Masonic Teacher of Today award (Teacher of the Year stuff for this group.) Guess what! He calls MY NAME!!!!

I was totally surprised because it's voted on by the teachers of the building, and usually it's up for grabs between who the "cliques" think should have it in their own little groups - although usually the person that gets it is very deserving. However, I don't belong to any group, being the only man in the entire building and all, so I wasn't expecting it. Come to find out, it was almost a unanimous vote for me (minus the one or two bitter holdouts!)

It's really kind of cool - I got another framed certificate to hang on the wall...all the kids thought it was really cool as well! Thing is, it's a very prestigious award to get!

Of course, it was ruined by an irritated parent who's child didn't when an award in my class, but the thought that my peers think I'm worthy is something pretty cool! Last year, I got the Wal-Mart Teacher of the Year which is voted on by parents and students, this year this thing! I wish I could say I felt like I deserve it, but I really don't. But I'm going to keep them anyways!

Anyways, just thought I'd share something good that happened to me. Now, I have to go get ready for a field trip to a state park tomorrow and the class I have to teach 8 times out there....

Hossy
05-18-2006, 02:46 PM
hey man thats great!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

xNinja-Dolphinx
05-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Congratulations Vike!

durrell
05-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Sweet vike, congrats. Pretty cool honor..

ooglieboogliebob
05-18-2006, 04:29 PM
it sucks that you didn't feel good ... but hey !!! something good came out of it :) congratulations vike !!!

pman15
05-18-2006, 04:37 PM
ahh yes...... the good ol days of 5th grade

DRAGON
05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Vik.....you suck!!! ;)

**DRAGON gets bludgeoned by 200 5th graders then chopped into little pieces by irate female teacher staff then promptly thrown into the school incinerator and burnt to a crisp by Frank the school maintenance man** :eek:

marvin-martian
05-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Of course, it was ruined by an irritated parent who's child didn't when an award in my class....

i see why they picked you...
jp

good job and keep up the good work and keep making people happy. it seems as though you've been making a name for yourself lately.

vikingshadow
05-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Hahahaha! I just saw my mistake in that quote..."when" should have been "win"...I'm telling ya, I'm ready for summer break - my brain is definitely already there!

Thanks guys. It was pretty cool winning it. Sort of makes up for not getting my scholarship to National Boards. Sort of. (I don't get a $10,000.00 raise for this, like I would have for NBCT...)

Vik.....you suck!!! ;)
I do, don't I? Hahahaha!

**DRAGON gets bludgeoned by 200 5th graders then chopped into little pieces by irate female teacher staff then promptly thrown into the school incinerator and burnt to a crisp by Frank the school maintenance man** :eek:
Actually, that's RHONDA, the school maintenance/custodian....I told ya, I'm the only man in the building! Frank is the 7th-8th grade principal...Sheesh! :p :p :p

davidthegr8
05-18-2006, 05:48 PM
thats pretty sweet

DRAGON
05-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Actually, that's RHONDA, the school maintenance/custodian....I told ya, I'm the only man in the building! Frank is the 7th-8th grade principal...Sheesh! :p :p :p

So then you're pretty much, "Vik teh school Rooster" lol - :cool:

newkid
05-18-2006, 06:09 PM
skoooooooools out for the summer...........(almost)

Tk-421
05-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Today was my last day!!! and then i graduate on sunday!!! w00t!1