PDA

View Full Version : :D Barrel upgrade!

MaGiK ShOt
05-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Hello, I've had my pilot for about 2 months or so now, and i want to upgrade my barrel from the stock barrel i have. Is there any barrels i should really go for that are good for my pilot? thanks.

vikingshadow
05-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Any aftermarket barrel will be fine for your gun. Anything else is personal opinion. But, if you gave us a price range, we could direct you towards some favorite barrels...

Sandman_Bravo
05-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Also, what type of play do you use it for, speedball, scenario/woodsball, outlaw?

Slammed0
05-16-2006, 04:24 PM
I have been a Smart Parts barrel fan. I have an All American and a Teardrop.

MaGiK ShOt
05-16-2006, 05:12 PM
i play speedball, and the price range is like $50 and less. thank you.

vikingshadow
05-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Meh, speedball, woodsball, outlaw, doesnt matter. Barrels are barrels - they all direct the ball out the front of the gun and there isn't any one that's better for any particular form of paintball. Not in my opinion, anyways!

Around the $50 range - J&J ceramics, some Smart Parts barrels, 32* Barrels (I'm partial to those on a spyder). All are pretty good for that price range. I definitely wouldn't spend more than that on a barrel, unless it's a kit.

Sandman_Bravo
05-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Two part barrel sets would be more suited to speedball; and there are a lot of milsim barrels out there for woodsball usage.

vikingshadow
05-16-2006, 06:22 PM
I hate to disagree with you, although I'm going to, but respectfully!

Any barrel, with decent ball to barrel matching and relatively same interior finishes, is going to shoot the same, whether it be two piece or milsim. A barrel doesn't care what kind of play it's MADE for. There's no one barrel, or type of barrel, that's going to be better than any other, based on how it looks.

Just because a milsim barrel is made, doesn't automatically make it the best barrel for woodsball. That's like saying you're a sniper because you use a 21 inch barrel! It may be designed for that particular group, but it's just for looks because the design of a barrel is so that it fits the particular style of gun. The actual job of a barrel is to make sure the ball gets directed towards the intended target.

As far as two piece barrels go, that makes it more flexible to use different size backs (which by the way, is also very good for woodsball) so as to better match paint to barrel size and increase accuracy and efficiency. But in no way does it make it better for speedball as opposed to woodsball or outlaw ball. There's no benefit outside of matching paint to it, so I can't see how it would be better for speedball. No one breaks their barrels down during a speedball game for any particular reason that is beneficial to the game. And as I said, the only REAL benefit that I've ever seen in a two piece barrel is the ability to change backs to match paint.

I have a friend with a single piece Proto barrel and it's one of the best barrels I've ever seen. I know several people on this forum who like J&J Ceramics barrels which is also one piece. I happen to like the looks of a two piece, but again, that's for the looks of a barrel and the versatility of switching to a different sized back.

The only thing that really needs discussed is LENGTH of barrel, really. And to me, anything between 10-16 inches is optimal for any paintball gun, no matter what type of gun it is, or game you play.

MaGiK ShOt
05-16-2006, 06:49 PM
So Mr.Vikingshadow, what do u think is the best barrel (or a couple of the best) I should be interested in buying? I mean you told me a few, but what do you think i should go for, for my pilot? thanks for ur advice.:D

MaGiK ShOt
05-16-2006, 06:51 PM
I mean, i've heard from a few people about Custom Products 14" barrels and All-American barrels to be good as well.

Hob Hayward
05-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Yep, both of those are great barrels, but as vike said, really any barrel will do the job, take a look at otter's barrel size chart and compare the paint your field normally uses to the barrels available, then you can choose to get a barrel that matches the bore size correctly.

Otter's barrel guide (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/barrels.html)
paint size chart (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/paintc.html)
barrel size chart (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/barrelc.html)

vikingshadow
05-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Of the two you mentioned, I really like the All American barrel. I have one and it not only looks good, but is quiet and has a larger bore so most paint will fit through it easily (sometimes, that's a problem, though!) Plus, later on, if you wanted you could get a Freak back so you can change bores to match different paint.

Also, although hardly anyone seems to agree with me, I really liked my 32* Night Stick. It's a single bore barrel, relatively cheap, was a good fit to the paint I used and much quieter than my stock Spyder Barrel.

As far as a kit goes, I would choose the J & J Edge kit. I bought one a little over a year ago and really like it. My wife uses it now since her gun is a Spyder, so I haven't shot it in awhile, but loved it while I had it! Solid bore barrel backs and it looks good as well. It's also much cheaper than it was before.

These are just some personal opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own. But those are the directions I went with barrels...

Sandman_Bravo
05-18-2006, 03:16 AM
I have the J&J S2 and I like it a lot.