PDA

View Full Version : New guitarist! need some pointers!

DFSniper
05-08-2006, 11:02 AM
so my friends teaching me to play guitar. hes only been playing for almost 2 1/2 years and better than anyone else i know around here. (anyone ever heard of Passage to the Reaper?) but hes not too good at giving beginner instructions, just how to play. so any tips you guys could give would be great.

big_daddy_d
05-08-2006, 03:33 PM
practice practice practice, play until your fingers start hurting from holding down the strings and then play some more, helps your fingers get calloused up and more resistant to the strings...

maximus100389
05-09-2006, 09:41 AM
learn the terminology

frets
bridge
nut
tuning pegs
head
neck

also, know that string 1 is the highest in terms of sound, but sitting on the bottom of the other strings. then it goes 2, 3, 4, 5, ending with 6 as the lowest string in terms of sound but sitting highest on the guitar. also know that the strings are (from 1-6) e, b, g, d, a, E. Learn how to tune your guitar, try stringing it WITH HELP from a friend.

Learn chords first...A, C, G, D, and E will be the most common ones you will use.

oh and if your fingers start to hurt from practicing so much, practice more!

DFSniper
05-09-2006, 11:12 AM
thanks guys.

Elfmaze
05-09-2006, 12:17 PM
e b g d? no wonder it never sounded right

thechubbss12
05-09-2006, 02:45 PM
ahh another tip is Learn Music Theory... im serious if you want to be a good musician you need at a mimun know your Major and minor scales.... Blues and Jazz scales will help in your soloing tremediously...

It benefits in also allowing you to broaden your opinions about music but also helps you if you want to play a jam session
I.E. they say ok this will be in a C Major scale with a deminished B and augmented F... that way you will know what they are talking about and not just be standing there looking like a idiot when you go out of key....