PDA

View Full Version : Computer repair advice....

OtterSC
05-08-2006, 07:19 AM
hello. looking for a computer repair person. have this computer that is doing something really goofy. here is what it is doing.

the computer was found making clicking noises. the CD-ROM light was flashing. also, the scanner that was attached was also flashing. but the system was off. attempted to turn the computer on.... failed. unplugged computer..... no more clicking or flashing. disconnected scanner. plugged in computer, started clicking and CD-ROM started flashing. also noticed the fan in back of the computer was running when it was plugged back in.

nothing added to this. was working fine prior to this problem. also, no storms came through the area.

solutions?

i also have another computer that when plugged in, the on/off light would flash (not the CD-ROM). this also will not turn on. suggestions on this?

chubb0rz
05-08-2006, 08:51 AM
What happened when you turned on the first computer? A blank screen or did it boot up some and than fail?

For the second, does it even make any noise like starting up? Like fans running or the internal speaker beeping?

OtterSC
05-08-2006, 09:15 AM
What happened when you turned on the first computer? A blank screen or did it boot up some and than fail?

For the second, does it even make any noise like starting up? Like fans running or the internal speaker beeping?

for both, the computers did not boot up. no screens to see the errors... nothing. :rolleyes:

DFSniper
05-08-2006, 09:50 AM
hmm, the first thing i would do is check the cables on the inside and make sure none of them have gotten loose or somehow caught on some kind of metal.

druid
05-08-2006, 10:05 AM
power source or video card

OtterSC
05-08-2006, 10:17 AM
yeah, i am afraid that it may be either the power supply or the mother board. or, maybe a HD crash?

the first computer was not moved at all. matter of fact, been sitting there in the same spot for 3 or 4 months now. typically it is on for several days since the wife gets files from that computer through the network. i had gone into the room to my computer and found it clicking and flashing.

when the computer was found that way, the on/off button had no effect. upon yanking the plug, no power obviously. and there fore, no more clicking/flashing.

BTW, the clicking sounds like it is coming from the CD-ROM... not the HD. not sure if the light on the ROM makes a clicking noise or not.

the second computer, as far as i know, it was working fine. then we moved it to another house. plugged everything up. switched on the power strip and noticed the on/off light flashing. and will not turn on when you pressed the button.

ooglieboogliebob
05-08-2006, 02:31 PM
eerr ... typed a whole thing up and it seemed that i wasn't signed on so i'll havta start over .. which sortof irritates me :(

could be HD but when mine did this it would power up start making weird sounds, and then power down again ... but this still would allow the pc to turn on and say a few things that says there's an error on your pc ...

Check if all of the chords are still working.. (use multimeter)

Turning on the pc for long periods of time could lead to frying of parts without a good cooling system

could be videocard, but the pc would still start all the way, you just wouldn't be able to see the screen ..

Powersource is my main conclusion, although it could rather be a multiple number of problems ...

i know this is stupid to ask, and i know you probably already made sure of this but ... make sure all items are plugged in

Let us know from there and we'll try to help more :p ...

I probably suggest buying a new pc though .. pc's are so cheap now and they're actually pretty fast ... i remember my parents payed 1.5 grand for this cheezy pc that could barely run ... i can't imagine how my parents used that ...

DRAGON
05-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Why not try to contact Gar at his old e-mail addy? I know it's been a long time but if you can get ahold of him I'm sure he'll know exactly what it is -

timbertiger20
05-08-2006, 03:39 PM
OK, couple quick questions. You said you are getting nothing on the screens at all? Are these the type of screens.......I'm assuming they are that when the computer is off........the monitor light is orange and when you turn the computer on the monitor light turns green? Is your monitor picking up the computer coming on? All computers(well almost all) have a HDD light and a power light. If I read it right you were unable to get a solid power light at all. Also CD-Roms and HDD's are prown to vibrations that make funny noises! My new computer does the same damn thing! Now if you can't get a constant power light..........I would say either you burnt up a power supply.......or you could have caught a virus that was kind enough to reflash your motherboard! Which means it's toast. Depending on what your answers are I'd go pick up a power supply and swap them out.

Victa_Balla
05-08-2006, 04:02 PM
I would deffinantly open her up and check all your connections. Sometimes the vibrations of the computer will shake loose connectors. If that dosn't work, get a current indicator and check to see if all the parts are operating. YOu could also swap the HD over to another computer and check to see if it is the problem.

SniperX
05-08-2006, 04:10 PM
so it doesnt POST? hmm.. sounds to me like a motherboard issue.. not the power supply if the fans and CD rom are getting power even if a little bit then the powersupply should be fine, i've had a compaq do this to me once.. found out i had a nasty virus in my proccessor and it was also cloned in my CD-rom drives, if u can make a ANTI virus floopy boot disc. The best anti virus utility to use is Mcfee, try that. if it doesnt post the anti virus boot disc is usless andthe Mobo is fried and will need to be replaced, also check all you connections and make sure your mobo aint being shorted out by anything.. shorted out mobo = fried mobo = no posting = everything else trying to work *like your hard drives and fans and your floppy and cd roms trying to read* i hope this helps, I build comps for friends and also program, i have been told im really good at trouble shooting.

emf7301
05-08-2006, 07:20 PM
i had the exact same type of clicking noise coming from my hard drive on my old computer. It would happen not so often and wouldn't affect it. Then it started happening more and more often, and then it would crash the computer and eventually i couldn't even boot. Hard drive bit the dust after 3-4 years. My first suggestion is to move the hard drive to another computer and try it there. No worky=HD fried. On the other comp with the flashing power light, i'm not sure about that, sry. Computers can be a pain in the ass sometimes. :dodgy:

OtterSC
05-09-2006, 04:35 AM
golly! thanks dudes for all the replies! i take back all the awful, mean and nasty things i said about you on PBN.

i am leaning towards the power supply or the motherboard for some reason. intuition? i do have a hot-swap case that i can install the HD with. but have yet to do that. plugs in using either a IEEE or USB2. excellent little device for moving HD from one computer to another.

right now, i am just concerned with the first computer. the second one is a friends that he is just going to get a new computer.

one other thing about this particular computer, it has been on for a few days at a time. not turned off daily. which i would not think too much that it was the problem. but, one never knows.

as i said, just trying to get an approximate guestimate on the problem so that when we do call the place that built the machine doesn't give us a sticker shock.

Oogl - actually, if you typed everything up, then click on post and you are not signed in, the forum should recognize you are not logged in and go to the login page. once you log in, it should post what you have written.

anyway.... yes, we could buy a new PC. however, this is a special one that is nothing like the cheap Dell's. huge number crunching 3-d monster for business. not easily replaced for a few hundred. really, trying to get a feel for approximately how much it will be to fix.

Timber - correct, nothing on the screen. the on/off doesn't turn on the computer. nothing is booting. the light on the screen is a continuous orange.

Victa - all connections are secure.

Sniper - as soon as i plug into the power strip, what happens is the light on the CD-ROM flashes and clicking (seems to be in the CD-ROM. i also have a wireless reciver for a keyboard and mouse. that also flashes. the fan is also spinning. nothing else is done to the computer except plugging her in. i then attempt to press the on/off button to no effect. the description of what is going on is the same. flashing, no signal to the screen, fan spinning. i would try the anti-boot disk. however, the computer will not boot.

druid
05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Sniper - as soon as i plug into the power strip, what happens is the light on the CD-ROM flashes and clicking (seems to be in the CD-ROM. i also have a wireless reciver for a keyboard and mouse. that also flashes. the fan is also spinning. nothing else is done to the computer except plugging her in. i then attempt to press the on/off button to no effect. the description of what is going on is the same. flashing, no signal to the screen, fan spinning. i would try the anti-boot disk. however, the computer will not boot.

that's what happened to me when I put too much heat-sinkgrease on the north-bridge and the main processor (D'oh!!)...oozed out and got on my Mboard...dunno if that applies to you or not...just an idea

DFSniper
05-09-2006, 12:16 PM
somethings telling me its probably the mobo then...

as for swapping the HDD, make sure you install it as the secondary or slave HDD, or it wont read your OS.

ooglieboogliebob
05-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Otter- nope, if i do just put in my s/n in and sign it it says im not aloud to access it and it's an administrator file or some sort .. i'll show you when it happens again ...

Well we determined it wasn't the power supply now because now i know that it "is" turning on .. but not fully ... i believe it's the Mboard ... also

DF- ... would you put the jumper on secondary or slave if you add another HD ?? I always put mine on Master when i only put it in ... makes the drive first ...

BTW whats wrong with the PC that your using right at this moment ?? ...

As long as it's not on for a continuous week .. most cases it will be fine ... it's just that i dunno about your case ...

If the PC seems SUPER blazing fiery hot ... TURN IT OFF ... most likely something is about to blow ... (dad's laptop; capacitors blew... replaced it .. and it seemed more than one thing broke ... seems one capacitor blow lead to some more problems ... shorting out maybe ...)

OtterSC
05-09-2006, 03:41 PM
BTW whats wrong with the PC that your using right at this moment ?? ...

i wass using the computer at my temp job to post. then when i am home, the wife has 3 computers on the network. the one that is giving trouble is not used all the time. but at times it is. and it also keeps files that is shared by all computers.

i was not planning on installing the HD. it is a box that i can install a HD. and move it from computer to computer via USB/IEEE plug in. i have done it before. kind of like a huge memory stick.... but is a disk. i have a 30gb lap top drive in this configuration that i use when i need files at work or at home or at a friends house.

Baller-59
05-09-2006, 05:04 PM
rule #1 of computer repair: If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.

ooglieboogliebob
05-09-2006, 05:18 PM
so ... what was wrong with it .. ?? hah sorry .. im just not getting the point ... may be all the fumes i'v been inhaling ... (i hate mowing the lawn)

OtterSC
05-09-2006, 05:59 PM
oogli - the first computer in question is still acting up. i have other computers that i can use.

anyway, i did crack open the case and plugged her in. i traced the clicking to the 3.5 floppy. so i disconnected the power... no more clicking. however, the CD-Rom is still flashing.... and the on/off is not working. unplugged the CDROM power.... no more flashing light on the CDROM.

but still dead computer. there is a green LED on the mother board that lights green. believe that is normal. and all of the fans start spinning when the power is added to the case.

anyway, thank you all. i am defiantely leaning towards a new M.B. have to see how much Egg can sell me one for.

FredPo
05-09-2006, 06:39 PM
My dell laptop is currently doing that. Dell said send it in to put a new motherboard in it. I'd say it's your motherboard Ottman.

Fred

SniperX
05-09-2006, 07:35 PM
its starting to sound to me like a graphics card problem.. it could also be memory.. test the graphics card, all the memory cards and if u can test the proccessor..*if u know what socket it is and have a comp around thats the same socket. if all those work fine in another comp its your mobo.. rip it out and break it over your knee..

DFSniper
05-10-2006, 12:38 AM
DF- ... would you put the jumper on secondary or slave if you add another HD ?? I always put mine on Master when i only put it in ... makes the drive first ...

either one should work. i would put it as slave on the IDE1 cable (personal pref)

bamf-hacker
05-11-2006, 07:04 AM
As long as it's not on for a continuous week .. most cases it will be fine ... it's just that i dunno about your case ...

You can leave a PC on for a very long time without issue, as long as the environment allows it. I run multiple servers from my house, but they have a climate controlled room to sit in. The average house temperature is fine if you only have one PC always on. Just make sure to open the case and clear out dust bunnys every once in awhile. And by all means don't run the PC for long with the case cover off. The airflow design in a PC case is meant to run air over the components and out the PC, if the cover is off, or if you have odd holes then the air flow is compromised.

As for your issue Otter, IMO it is the Mother Board.

HacKeR