PDA

View Full Version : what is the holiday?

OtterSC
05-05-2006, 04:01 AM
hey all.... was on Yahoo and noticed Mexican stuff around it.... what is the holiday? national anti-gringo day?:rolleyes:

Moe
05-05-2006, 04:03 AM
cinco de mayo....ugh. this means mexican flags and loud mexican music at lunch....dont forget your red white and blue.:rolleyes:

OtterSC
05-05-2006, 04:17 AM
ah.... well, if i could not get my chicken burrito on monday, i don't think they will get my 'Merican green back.

durrell
05-05-2006, 04:24 AM
ah.... well, if i could not get my chicken burrito on monday, i don't think they will get my 'Merican green back.

Troof. I went to Taco Bell and they sent me to Burger King..wtfm8

vikingshadow
05-05-2006, 04:24 AM
cinco de mayo....ugh. this means mexican flags and loud mexican music at lunch....

Wasn't that what we had Monday??????

Just playing - I'm only a little tired of all this stuff......:rolleyes:

bamf-hacker
05-05-2006, 04:27 AM
well since we are at work and cant go drink a bunch of beer at lunch we are going to eat a lot of meat at the all you can eat Brazilian BBQ (we will just call it a Mexican BBQ)

HacKeR

druid
05-05-2006, 04:33 AM
it means that yet again, an Un-American Holiday is being forced down our throats in an attempt to recognize 30 billion illegal immagrants' rights...

me...
"you wanna celebrate it? go back to Mexico...."

bamf-hacker
05-05-2006, 05:02 AM
Ha it is more of a holiday for Americans than it is for Mexicans...

Reason to get drunk!!! :)

HacKeR

DexGtr
05-05-2006, 05:55 AM
yeah they don't even celebrate it this much in Mexico....it's the americans that made it big...so they could have a good reason to drink. :)

it's like st. paddy's day...they don't really celebrate that much in Ireland...but in the states...it's like BEER holiday.

druid
05-05-2006, 10:03 AM
any wonder I don't drink?

Nader
05-05-2006, 10:05 AM
yeah May first is the day they all celebrate in Mexico....Cinco de Mayo is the American adaptation....

bomberpilot07
05-05-2006, 10:11 AM

:lol: how true

DexGtr
05-05-2006, 10:18 AM
me...

very nice insight....let's tell the chinese to celebrate their lunar new year in China also.....and since were at it, why don't we tell the Irish to take St. Patrick's Day to Ireland. :rolleyes:

we don't need no stinkin non-american holiday shoved down our throat. :rolleyes:

Moe
05-05-2006, 10:49 AM
i just want some corona....

colonel_moo
05-05-2006, 11:11 AM
like i said in recon's thread, its a celebration of the mexican victory at the battle of puebla.

xNinja-Dolphinx
05-05-2006, 11:51 AM
like i said in recon's thread, its a celebration of the mexican victory at the battle of puebla.
It is equivelent to our Veterans Day

big_daddy_d
05-05-2006, 01:31 PM
An excuse for me to go get some carne asada, and then head on down to the Aloha towers for their Cinco De Mayo block party :D:D:D:D:D:D Hell it's aloha friday too :D:D:D:D

thechubbss12
05-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Well your not that close to mexica so you dont have all the imigrants LOL.....

Another lame holiday brought on by lame fat americans.....

druid
05-05-2006, 02:54 PM
very nice insight....let's tell the chinese to celebrate their lunar new year in China also.....and since were at it, why don't we tell the Irish to take St. Patrick's Day to Ireland. :rolleyes:

we don't need no stinkin non-american holiday shoved down our throat. :rolleyes:

darned skippy.....

Victa_Balla
05-05-2006, 03:14 PM
I find it funny that Corona spamms the TVs with Cinco De Mayo stuff.. But Corona isnt even a major mexican drink. Tequila. Now thats mexican. That stuff is higher quality than a lot of the water down there.

bungeye
05-05-2006, 08:55 PM
hey what is the thing with americans and mexico. ie herd differts things
1) all american hate mexico, because thats where all the imigrants come from,
and 2) Its the best place ever, party hard, good place to get completly trollyed.

what is the truth?
(the above are based on what happens in movies and other tv programs)

PS: Otter i would pm u but its nt working, anyway, i got one of them bubble stickers off you, im going to paint my marker and i have to take the bubble off and i want to put it back on. question is, will it stick back on or will i have to buy another one?

vikingshadow
05-06-2006, 05:33 AM
Well, you asked! So watch out - long post time.

Please remember, this is my opinion, and that opinion was developed over 40 years....and for the last 20 years I've been watching this pretty closely. I remember when I was growing up, just 30 miles from where I'm typing this, that the only non-white person in school was an Apache Indian (or so he said - he was definitely a Native American). We didn't have any Hispanic, black, or Asian people in our school. Now, whites are definitely becoming second in race in that school, as well as the one where I teach.

Although I don't know if this is related, I've also seen the number of kids who are living off welfare, with food stamps, and with DHS involvement has skyrocketed. Violence has gone up, especially in school, and might I add, the ONLY gang we've ever had here was a Hispanic GIRL gang....

hey what is the thing with americans and mexico. ie herd differts things
1) all american hate mexico, because thats where all the imigrants come from,
and 2) Its the best place ever, party hard, good place to get completly trollyed.

what is the truth?
(the above are based on what happens in movies and other tv programs)

Nah, we don't hate Mexicans - or any other immigrants for that matter, although with the postings this week you would think so. In fact, most of us pay no mind to immigrants on a normal basis - I personally wouldn't know an immigrant if he came up and shook my hand!

No, the problems going on right now in the US are ILLEGAL (I'll say it again, that's the cusp of the issue) immigrants is that there are so many, and they are enjoying the lifestyle and the freedoms our country have to offer without doing a thing to earn them. Our government has let it slide so much that now we're swamped with these people who are breaking the country's laws, and it's starting to cost us a LOT of money.

I'm not talking about them enjoying the Freedom of Speech or the Right to Gather or the Right to a Free Trial or that kind of stuff because we in the US feel ALL people, no matter where their from, their color or sex, are entitled to that.

What I'm talking about is the almighty wallet here. MANY are living off welfare, getting free medical services (which by the way has resulted in a lot of hospitals shutting down because no one pays the bills), food stamps, and such - all of which aren't free, because me and every other legal, working citizen in this country is paying for this stuff with our taxes - while they rent very nice homes and drive around the towns with their very nice vehicles with their home country's flag plastered all over them. As a person who will be retiring in about 30 years, and who has to watch his checkbook closely to not get in trouble, this bothers me! I heard a report on the Today show that said Social Security will be bankrupt by 2040 - that'll be about the time I retire. There are so many Baby Boomers retiring, but they didn't have enough kids to fill the void they left as they leave the workforce so there aren't enough people paying into SSI. Yet we have MILLIONS of illegal workers not paying taxes...THAT'S my beef with the illegals in this part of the state. I could care less if their illegal, or want to become citizens, so long as they pay into the system that's taking care of them and me and my family....

Of course, there's the social problems as well. The blatant refusal of these ILLEGALs to try and fit into the society into which they've inserted themselves. Simple things like trying to speak a language that is understood by everyone else in their community, driving around with their home country's flags all over the place. Requesting MORE be done FOR them. In our town, they are generally nice people, but the fact that they're illegal and everyone really does know who they are yet the INS does nothing about it, gives them a sort of ego boost...an "untouchable" attitude, so to speak. This is where they fly their country's flag over our own in this country, tell us US sucks and that Mexico is the best, rudeness in public places like parks, dances, grocery stores, etc. comes in.

I don't know about everywhere else, but here, the illegal immigrants have made a concious effort to separate themselves in our town. They literally take over the park here on a Sunday, so no one can go and just have a picnic, or play, or fish, or whatever. They look at my family and me in scorn - yes, you can see it in their faces - and talk (LOUDLY) in their native tongue while gesturing and nodding to their friends in our direction, so you know they are speaking about us.

I get in trouble at school during parent teacher conferences by the parents of hispanic children because I can't speak SPANISH very well, although their children can speak English pretty well, and I teach ENGLISH. Their own kids say they try to help their parents, but the parents don't really want to learn. The parents are really hammering in their own lifestyles and it's very evident - during free time, the boys are drawing pictures of the Mexican flag constantly, and they constantly speak about Mexico. Not so much the girls, but it's obvious in the fact that they ALL choose Mexican boyfriends and girlfriends, never any black, white or Asians...

I think it's very hard on the children, because they're very torn. They hear all this going on, and their torn between their parents and where their parents are from (in a lot of cases, the children are legal US citizens having been born here - but their parents are not!) and what they hear at school. They're loyal to two countries, actually...and it's very difficult for them.

I guess, the whole problem boils down to this - our country is a great place. We offer it to anyone who wants to come and try to succeed. We only ask that they follow the laws of the land and make an effort to become an American citizen and be loyal to the US. We see people come in illegally, then get the same and MORE rights than we do in our own home and it makes us angry because we can't do anything about it without being called racist, rude, insensitive and so on, like it's our own fault. Then, these people hold rallies and walk out of their jobs and refuse to spend money because they want MORE!

claustrophobia9
05-06-2006, 06:01 PM
well, its INTERNATIONAL (fittingly) no pants day this year around on the 5th of may.

xtraking
05-06-2006, 08:12 PM
really, the point of cinco de mayo is to make fun of the french because they lost to the mexican army which was half the size of nepolians'.

druid
05-06-2006, 08:26 PM
yeah...but so did the Texans....Alamo much? so how do we make fun of Bomberpilot07? :D

DFSniper
05-07-2006, 08:40 AM
eh, me and my best friends partied on May 5th, but it was our "thank-God-for-no-more-AP-exams-this-year" party!