PDA

View Full Version : ion help

Angel69
04-24-2006, 02:20 PM
ok so i got my ion a week or two ago and im going to up it....but i cant twist off the stock feedneck.....ive tried WD40, heat, even had my brothers friend whos HUGE try twisting it off....and nothing

any ideas???? or did i not see liek a bolt u ahve to take out lol:o

druid
04-24-2006, 02:53 PM
nope...it's locktited in. You have to make the joint 150-200* for a few mins before turning counterclockwise

ShadowX
04-24-2006, 03:26 PM
One Word.. Strap-Wrench... If you don't have one, get one, You will use it on everything...

Muddytaco
04-24-2006, 03:27 PM
A lighter works the best.....hold it on there for about 30 sec.....it won't do anything to the finish. Take the body off before putting the open flame on it obviously.

bamf-hacker
04-27-2006, 04:14 AM
One Word.. Strap-Wrench... If you don't have one, get one, You will use it on everything...

This is the best option... It wont hurt the feedneck or the body. Be careful with the heat option, make sure you take the body off. Plastic hoses + Plastic body + FIRE = ugly mess :)

Strap wrenches are pretty cheap too. I got a 2 pack at Lowe's for 10 bucks.

HacKeR

bigred76
04-27-2006, 07:59 AM
This is the best option... It wont hurt the feedneck or the body. Be careful with the heat option, make sure you take the body off. Plastic hoses + Plastic body + FIRE = ugly mess :)
Had an experience yourself, eh? :smirk:

Strap wrenches are like any other tool: cheap tools usually break easily. Make sure you get a good quality one if you want it to last, or get a whole bunch of them if you get them cheap.

I prefer to use both the heat (from a torch, or if you don't have one then the burner on a propane stove should work...not the electric stovetops tho!) and the strap wrench. I do it that way because it's the easiest on me (I'm lazy lol). ;)

bamf-hacker
04-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Had an experience yourself, eh? :smirk:

Strap wrenches are like any other tool: cheap tools usually break easily. Make sure you get a good quality one if you want it to last, or get a whole bunch of them if you get them cheap.

No sir never happend to me, been working with tools and loctite forever.

As in cheap I dont mean cheap quality. Strap wrenches in general are not that much money.

HacKeR

TacTownKilla
04-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Vicegrip+stockfeedneck= off

Sure the stock feedneck might not look the best after it, but who uses the stock feedneck after they buy a clamping feedneck anyways?

lewizz124
04-27-2006, 07:35 PM
noone wants that old feedneck anyways so do what i did, drill a hole all the way threw each side then stick a screw driver threw that and twist off or hit the end of the screw driver with a hammer till it comes off. i dont mess around.