PDA

View Full Version : Which Gun is best for Woodsball?

Pain
04-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and to paintball in general. I have played woodball 3 or 4 times now but have always rented. I love the sport so much I figure it was time to save some cash and buy my own gun.
I just bought a TL-R sniper package at a local sporting goods store on sale for $180 after tax. Looks like a pretty good deal because the regular price was pretty close to $250 before tax.

It was a spur of the moment purchase, and I'm now wondering if I bought the best gun available. What would you guys recommend as one of the best guns for a first purchase. I'm thinking about taking my gun back and buying a MR1 package I saw on ebay for pretty close to the same price with a few exrta things included. i.e remote, harness

I doubt I will be entering any competitions; I just go out with a group of friends for woodsball... Is the MR1 a better purchase then the sniper TL-R? (I do like the 16' barrel on the TL-R, then again that MR1 looks SWEET! :)

colonel_moo
04-24-2006, 11:09 AM
just stick with the TL-r. it will be fine for what you are describing. internally, spyders are all pretty much the same, so you arent getting any mechanical advantage with one gun over the other. and it doesnt sound like you are looking for an electronic gun, so the TL-r will be fine. all the MR1 would be doing for you is adding weight, looks, and price.

by the way, welcome to the forums!

bamf-hacker
04-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Yeah what moo said... Keep the TL-R. If you want a remote they are pretty cheap and same for the harness. If you have not used a remote yet see if you can try one, some fields rent them. You may not like it. I had one to lighten up my gun, since I have 2 bum wrists/thumbs. I used it once and have not gone back to it. Now i keep it to use only if my wrists/thumbs are really acting up.

And Welcome to the boards!!!

HacKeR

druid
04-24-2006, 11:42 AM
:yeahthat: Spyders are more customizable than Tippmanns and if you want to dress her for the woods, I suggest going to www.camoclad.com (http://www.camoclad.com) and getting their "non perm" application. Look through the site and you will find 'remnants and pieces' in the form of tape rolls, smaller 2'x5' sheets and such. This is not your run-of-the-mill camo tape...this is high quality stuff used to dress up cars, trucks, boats and ATVs.

You can use it on the marker, your mask and any other 'hard gear' you have (that has a flat, solid surface). The perminant stuff is for boats that sit in water...I don't suggest it. Get the removable stuff...

Pain
04-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Ok.... well I took my TL-R back because I really liked the look and feel of the MR1. Kina makes you feel like its a real gun instaed of a toy.
Now I have $193.94 credit back to my card, but I'm going to wait a bit before I buy something to make sure the MR1 is the one I want.

So I'm back to square 1. LOL. But oh well, I won't be going out for a few weeks so I have some time to shop around.

My local paint ball store gave me a quote for a MR1, Mask, gravity hopper, Harness w/back support and 6 pods, remote coil, and a free CO2 fill for $220.00 out the door. What do you guys think? Good price? I am really starting to see that the only real difference between these guns are the look, price, and weather or not you want an electric trigger. It's all about the person behind the gun that will matter in the long run. I may upgrade to an electric trigger later, but i usually do just fine with the rentals, and its a good way to save paint and air. :)

Hob Hayward
04-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Uh, depends on the mask they're sellin ya, make sure to get a thermal lens, not fog resistant, but the double paned type thats nearly fogproof, it is definitely worth the extra price, because whats the good of playing if you can't see?

Recon by Fire
04-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Never send a Spyder or Tippman to do an Automags job :)

Tac One is best recball/woods marker IMHO.

Pain
04-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Arent those pretty expensive?

timbertiger20
04-24-2006, 09:07 PM
$450 + you'll need an HPA tank as well.....perferably adjustable!

Pain
04-24-2006, 09:59 PM
errr not gonna happen. Unless I starve my kids for a couple of weeks :)

thechubbss12
04-25-2006, 03:23 AM
LOL Yea thats a bad idea.... Stick with the MR1 =)

Angel69
04-25-2006, 03:33 AM
im not to big a fan of woods balll especiallly that scenario stuff....i just use a spyder compact when we have to play woods ball and it works great for me...:)

druid
04-25-2006, 04:07 AM
well...besides the anno sticking out like a turd in a punch bowl...or even a wet fart in church....

I've camo'd mine with camoclad in the past...works great

Pain
04-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Man I just came back from the paint ball shop to pick up my MR1. I had the manager set up my package and put it to the side for me a few days ago. But when I went into the store the manager wasn’t there and some new young punk had to help me. This guy spent a good 20 mins showing me other generic guys and trying to get me to buy a cheaper non-spyder gun. He almost had me, but I finally told him to give me dang gun and shut the hell up. LOL Just thought I might share that. I'm about to put my gun together and go ping some cans in the backyard. So far I love it! Turd, punch and all! :)

Sandman_Bravo
04-27-2006, 02:23 AM
I've always used "turd in a cereal bowl", thought it was unique- guess not, lol.

druid
04-27-2006, 06:07 AM
nope, I think it's rather universal...LOL...

anyway...go here (http://www.camoclad.com)...click "everything else" at the bottom of the scrolling screen and then select the pattern (your choice but this product #)...

(SKU# S-115) All Purpose 11.5" by 5 ft. Sheet

Price: $28.00

http://gallery.bcentral.com/images/bump.gif(SKU# S-115) All Purpose 11.5" by 5 ft. Sheet

Price: $28.00

http://gallery.bcentral.com/images/bump.gifAll Purpose 11.5" by 5 ft. Sheethttp://gallery.bcentral.com/images/bump.giffunction SubmitForm() { if (ValidateData(document.AddToCartForm)) { document.AddToCartForm.submit(); } } function ValidateData(form){ var qty = form.quan.value len = qty.length digits = "0123456789" if (len