PDA

View Full Version : OH SHEEP DIP!!! Jury duty again.....

DRAGON
04-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Ya well I moved and got away from them for 2 whole years but now it seems they've caught up with me again....dayum! :dodgy:

Before I left Michigan they were calling on me at least once a year to perform jury duty. Since I moved I thought I had escaped my reoccurring 'civic duty' Not that I'd mind it so much if it didn't cost me more for parking and meals than what the little they compensated me for my presence there -

I mean think about it, lawyers and judges are getting at least 6 figures a year for being present(some lawyers waaaaaaaaayyy more) but John Q Public gets squat for inconvenience of being there. Some employers will pay you when serving but the majority don't. When I served in Wayne County in Detroit at times it cost me $10-20 a day to park. Did not even provide us parking locally. Do the judges and cops have to pay for parking? I think not....at least this summons has a parking permit on it -

What gets me is if I don't show up, it says on the summons in bold letters; THE LAW PROVIDES PENALTIES FOR FAILURE TO ATTEND. So I'm treated as a criminal if I don't show up lol. Yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda.........:rolleyes:

Just something for you younger guys to look forward to lol - ;)

bigred76
04-23-2006, 10:35 PM
You could always pull a Druid and be a total ass so they dont want you. :D I am not very concerned about gettinbg on a jury when I'm older since I have 2 active uncles in law enforcement....most criminal trial lawyers wont want me on a jury lmao!

DRAGON
04-23-2006, 10:45 PM
lol.....that's what I did the last time I was called for duty. It was a homicide case and the lawyers seemed pretty intrigued when the judge started asking me questions. Yano, like giving me that 'we koo' look. The judge asked me something to the effect of, "If a police officer testified against the defendant, would you take his word over the defendants testimony?" I said, "Sure I would, I have a few friends in the Wayne County Sherifs Department and don't think they would lie to me at all" lol. That sealed the dealio. I was outta there hee hee - :D

BTW....since Druid works of the corrections department, I'd think he would automatically be disqualified from jury duty consideration since he is in fact, an employee of the law machine -

bigred76
04-23-2006, 10:56 PM
I don't remember his whole story (I was a bit out of it at the time), but I feel sorry for anyone that tries pulling him into a jury LMAO!

I don't see why they bring in people who are as opinionated as Druid or I about some issues...I mean, they should have a list where all of us are on it so that they don't bug us. Would make life a bit simpler and wouldnt waste as much time. ;)

druid
04-24-2006, 02:15 AM
lol.....
BTW....since Druid works of the corrections department, I'd think he would automatically be disqualified from jury duty consideration since he is in fact, an employee of the law machine -

Sadly to say...that doesn't happen. Since I am also a citizen of the County/State, I am still elligible for duty. I have to make some really...uh...'outlandish' comments to get out of it.

I don't remember his whole story (I was a bit out of it at the time), but I feel sorry for anyone that tries pulling him into a jury LMAO!

I don't see why they bring in people who are as opinionated as Druid or I about some issues...I mean, they should have a list where all of us are on it so that they don't bug us. Would make life a bit simpler and wouldnt waste as much time. ;)

What Tim's referring to is the time I got called for Federal duty in KillaDelphia. The "Judge, Lance Ito-wannabe" wouldn't excuse me from it and made me come down 3 days in a row. My attitude....well...it...well, it just sucked. My entire outlook is this. A person is guaranteed a jury of his peers. Since I remain unaccused of any crimes against the State, I'm not his/her peer...and I don't want to hear the "you're innocent until proven guilty' crap because it's never the case. You are arrested, printed, pictured, booked into prison. Wait there until you are bailed out or go to court...to be found "not guilty"...after waiting around for 1 year in jail. Cow flops. On the third day of my tirades, the Judge called me into his chambers and said..."you know, you are so close to contempt of Court, it's not funny" - to which I responded, ^^ what I said above^^ about not being their peer. I also added, "your Honor, you can assign me to any jury you like. I will dead-lock the jury's findings so that you will have to declare a mistrial...Just for spite...or go to jail for Contempt. Either way, you'll not get a ruling out of me. These people stand accused of crimes that I have no desire or right to judge...how can you tell that I won't send an innocent man to prison, or allow the guilty to walk free - out of protest of you compelling me to be here? I am missing overtime that pays me more than $30/hour...for what? Some punk with an attitude that got his ass beat by the cops? You are depriving me, my wife and child of our livelyhoods...just so you can feel better about the Justice System? No thanks. You'll just have to find someone else."

I got sent home at the end of the day.

So you see...I just have a different attitude all the way around...not just here :D . I'm not afraid to speak my mind and I don't care who hears it.

bamf-hacker
04-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Ha pretend to hard of hearing.... When they call your name don't move, wait until the third time and say "huh, what, did you call me?"

You will get dismissed :)

HacKeR

vikingshadow
04-24-2006, 05:57 AM
Tell them that you think he/she is guilty. The time of the Ramulacks has come! Death to all that oppose us....

That'll free ya up for the day!

colonel_moo
04-24-2006, 12:04 PM
just act extremely racist and you'll be off the hook.

johnnyblast
04-24-2006, 12:48 PM
last jury duty i went, the trial has been dismissed and since then i havnt seen jury duty notice for 3 years. good thing about los angeles court is they have computer with internet in waiting room but you have to pay $3/hour. so i spent $12 to do what i do at home... goodtimes~

druid
04-24-2006, 01:01 PM
just act extremely racist and you'll be off the hook.

that doesn't work...during the "voir dare" (spelling??), everyone's present. The person claiming to be a white supremecy group member got selected (no...not me) anyway...

emf7301
04-24-2006, 01:57 PM
I just turned 18 last month, sounds like i got some fun stuff to look forward to! My parents told me that at least here in texas, if you have children under the age of 18 you can be dismissed from jury duty. now that i think about it, when i was little my dad had to leave the court room because i was sick and my mom couldn't watch over me. I'm a sneaky little bugger.

claustrophobia9
04-24-2006, 03:56 PM
its probibly because they like the crazy sarcasm. do you roll your eyes when people plead insanity and stuff?

if you want to get off act pissed to be there and say u had a madden tournament. o wait... no i saw that in a movie, and it didnt work, my bad.

Recon by Fire
04-24-2006, 08:45 PM
I've only been called twice in 19 years! Once from a state that I no longer lived in anymore and once locally. Having over 1000 attorneys on your client list has its priviledges though! My wife gets called almost every year though but has never served though, she always acts excited about serving and then tells them "my husband told me about the investigation..."

They just never pick us...???

timbertiger20
04-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Doh.......Druid's getting stiffed.......they won't call me for the Jury because of my Law Enforcement status.......not to mention being friends with the prosecutors and the other officers.......LOL

DFSniper
04-25-2006, 12:44 PM
lol, Drago, my dad grew up in the Detroit-Westland-Garden City triangle and he never wants to go back! makes me kinda glad that Germany doesnt have a jury (except other judges).

vikingshadow
04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
22 years, never called once! Knock on wood.... My wife had it though, but here in my town, we never get anything tough here. Never lasts more than a day. DA's gonna let it go on plea bargain anyway! I think she got paid 20.00 for a day's worth of sitting on her backside and doing nothing...but she would have LOST 100.00 that day if she wasn't on salary!

Sandman_Bravo
04-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Or you could just say that you're not sure what to think about a question, since your last trip to the mother ship included a brain scrub along with some probing.

DRAGON
04-25-2006, 04:41 PM
lol, Drago, my dad grew up in the Detroit-Westland-Garden City triangle and he never wants to go back!.............

Ya Detriot......where the strong thrive and the weak are eaten. Used to be the Motor City & murder capitol of the US. Now everybody left including most all of the industry. With the weak moved to the far burbs, no one left to kill. No jobs because the skelton industry left has done the same. Now what's left is a dark dead skelton of a once great American city. Most all due to a corruptive local city government that sucked the lifes blood out of it and left as well. The change, all within the past 40 years -

I too will never go back...........