PDA

View Full Version : Ramping

Bigtime
04-23-2006, 04:21 AM
I've played on and off for the last few years with my Xtra and I just recently got a PilotACS. I know most of Paintball words and slang but I don't know what Ramping is and why it seems to be illeagle in some places. Or am I just misunderstanding the conversations?

vikingshadow
04-23-2006, 05:32 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Ramping is a program a gun's board utilizes to get it to shoot at speeds that are constant once the player hits a certain finger speed or number of shots. Most of the time, you can set the board to start "ramping" when you hit a certain bps, say like 10 (could be any speed.) Once you hit that speed, bang! Your gun "ramps" up to the speed you have it set to ramp to, like 15 BPS or whatever. It will shoot that fast as long as you have paint in the loader and maintain the speed at which you set the program to ramp, in this example 10 bps finger speed ramping to 15 bps shooting speed.

In another instance, the PSP has ramping that is capped at 15 BPS. This kind of ramping doesn't require you to reach a certain speed before it ramps. All you have to do is pull the trigger 3 times, then it automatically shoots 3 shots for every pull and will continue that until you stop shooting for a second. Then you have to pull the trigger 3 times again to start the ramping process again.

It's a hotly debated thing right now, because a lot of people don't think there's any skill involved in ramping - the players just spray paint and anyone can do that. Some say it only came about to curb cheating (which it did. It's easier to catch someone shooting more than 15 bps than it is to catch a ramper with all the cheats out there.)

The flip side is that other people think that finger speed is not a talent and guns that can ramp and ramping caps even the field and makes things more fair in that they can now use strategy instead of worrying about gun speed.

The problem is that a lot of guns don't have the capability to ramp, and some buttheads take ramping guns to the rec fields and light up noobs with them, and THEN talk about how good they are. It's also dangerous if someone ramps a gun because it can get out of control, several balls hitting the same place in rapid sucession is painful and COULD severly hurt someone. A lot of insurance companies won't allow ramping. Plus, when a person ramps, he can ramp that gun up to the speed the loader can feed, which now can be as fast as 30 bps in some loaders. Basically it becomes a machine gun, so long as you keep your fingers moving. Once you stop moving your fingers, or you slow down below the ramp activation speed, it stops ramping.

I'm not going to get into my opinion - I've already voiced it in a few other threads. Also, I don't feel like arguing this morning! LOL! There are a lot of threads in this forum about ramping in this or any forum though. You could probably use the search button and type in the word "ramping" and they might come up...but let me warn ya! It's hotly debated at times!

FullMetal
04-23-2006, 05:57 AM
Does PSP have a cap at 15 bps even if your shooting in semi?

vikingshadow
04-23-2006, 06:27 AM
I don't think you're allowed above 15.4 bps either in semi or ramping, but I could be wrong on that.

I think the NPPL has a cap on speed as well, but of course, no ramping there!

Bigtime
04-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the explaination. I've tried to look up ramping but all I get is arguments. That is the best info I could have asked for. :)

vikingshadow
04-23-2006, 08:57 AM
You're welcome!