PDA

View Full Version : filling up

kyle_saville
04-19-2006, 06:55 PM
ok so i want to get my own fill station for co2. my grandpa has an old welding tank but it says oxygen on the side of it and is still about half full. Could i empty this and put co2 in it or do i have to but a new tank i think it is 20 lbs and do these big tanks ever expire???

Spinal
04-19-2006, 08:24 PM
all tanks expire.

druid
04-19-2006, 09:28 PM
...and I wouldn't simply because of it's age...regardless of expiration.

DRAGON
04-19-2006, 10:45 PM
If it's an old welding tank seems like it would be larger than a 20lb'r. At any rate, the hydro date will be stamped into the top area tank. Look, it's there somewhere. You should have no prob using that tank after you get it hydroed. My fill station is a very old fire extinguisher(first hydro date says 6-63 lol) that I got from an old abandoned factory in Detroit. A friend gave me a valve and I tapped the valve and made a copper tubing siphon tube and threaded that as well. As long as it passes hydro you should be ready to go. No place will fill it anyways if there is no current hydro date on it -

thechubbss12
04-20-2006, 04:33 AM
Well since you want to make your own C02 filling station i thought you might want the size= wieght guide. I will make certian of this this saturday at work... All sizes included the filling hose attatched to the tank.

Aluminum
32 oz - 4.0g
24 oz - 3.8g
20 oz - 3.2g
16 oz - 3.0g
12 oz - 2.2g
9 oz - 2.0g

Steel
err i cant get them out of memory right now....

tex
04-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Talk to a welding shop. I know for sure that you will need a syphon tube. As for the age, I agree with dragon. Check for a hydro date. You could talk to a welding shop about renting a co2 tank with the syphon tube already in it. It works great. As far as a fill station, you can make you yourself like I did. I'm not sure how much the 32* is but mine was about $45. Also invest in a good scale. I use a mail scale and it has a tare weight on it so you know exactly how much you put in without having to do any math.