PDA

View Full Version : Leaving???

Recon by Fire
04-17-2006, 12:21 AM
I've been considering quitting paintball lately...I really don't care at all for the image it has gathered and spotlighted players who are a disgrace. But more improtantly, I've played once in over a year and likely won't play again for another six months to a year anyway, if then. None of my friends play anymore and other paintball associates I have lost contact with or they have moved away.

I've started selling off my non-Mags for now. Maybe I will keep them around and see how things go later. Or maybe I will just get carried away and clear everything out...

Comments, thoughts? Anyone else considering an exodus???

thechubbss12
04-17-2006, 03:22 AM
Sad stuff man its gunna suck to have you gone =(

vikingshadow
04-17-2006, 04:44 AM
Yup - I'm right where you are right now. I haven't played since the middle of February (not nearly as long as you), but am really fed up with the whole scene and attitudes of the speedball/tournament sect...I was putting so much into the game, and getting so angry all the time when I read forums and practiced, it was taking so much of my time both mentally and literally (I was CONSTANTLY thinking about it even when I wasn't playing.) I finally just had to stop. I've kept in contact with this forum, but I hadn't done anything else paintball related until I watched that ESPN2 show last Monday.

I've gotten a lot of my life back - spent time with my family instead of practicing, paid a lot more attention to my job - cleared my head a bit, you might say. I've been thinking that instead of quitting completely, I'll try a different aspect of the game. I'm thinking of starting up again, but this time with a pump. It'd be like it was when I first started - new and different and maybe even exciting again.

Anyway, I understand where you're coming from.

marvin-martian
04-17-2006, 06:58 AM
keep the mags

DFSniper
04-17-2006, 11:56 AM
keep the mags. im in the same boat as you and vike, and right now i just dont have the chance to play how i like, so im taking a break and spending my time modding computers, skating, and just being with my friends.

DRAGON
04-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Paintball is like crack; if you leave, you'll be back -

Recon by Fire
04-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I guess quitting really is not so much of an issue. I am on a hiatus right now wether I want to play or not. It just seems like such a long time before I will have an opportunity to play again, and given the other factors involved, I just start thinking that maybe it would be a good time to drop it all together. I could certainly find other things to spend the $$$ on. I spend money now on a game i'm not even playing! LOL

I do play a wide range of game aspects too, speedball at the field, woodsball with private groups (outlaw), electro, mech, pump, etc...

I will likely just keep the Mags for now and see where this goes in the future...

TacTownKilla
04-17-2006, 05:41 PM

Sft (sigged for truth)

Angel69
04-17-2006, 05:45 PM
http://www.darksidevideo.org/hottestvideos/11/4D953900-1E59-4F37-A315-2F4586203D37.htm

even tho u can tell this is fake this is the worst representation of the sport i have seen and it truely sickens me... this is the sort of stuff that gives paintball a bad name....this is the sort of **** that makes espn not air paintballl more often and it pisses me off and REALLY wish there was something i could do....so im with u on the attitude thing. its getting ridiculous :(

Drefish99
04-17-2006, 06:12 PM
just do walkon by yourself. I go on my own from time to time when all my friends are too busy to play. Paintball is still great excercise as well as a great way to get aggressions out. Don't think about that scene. It will just make you angry and resent the sport even more.

marvin-martian
04-17-2006, 07:12 PM
angel, what was the point of you posting that video? just telling us you agree with what recon said would have sufficed, we all know that type of thing happens, but most of us try to ignore it rather than showing the disgrace to more people. this was part of the reason both recon and vike are quitting, they couldnt take the stupid kids anymore.

so thanks for pushing all of us closer to the edge...

QAZ123
04-17-2006, 07:14 PM
I too am kinda on a hiatus. I have a pump tourney this weekend that I personally promoted and after that I have another pump league event on the 28th of May but I'm not playing in between the two date's as I'm really just burnt out even with pump play as I noticed I'm still sometimes running into some problem's at field's.

I had some Ion toting brand new Diablo gear wearing fool start mouthing off after winning against a bunch of recballer's and he started going on about how good he is and I jumped on him saying if he was that good he wouldn't be playing here today (season opener's of ICC and CTS series on the same day). I doubt he knew what I was talking about but it shut him up but still I'm burnt out on fighting/arguing with people it just get's old. I'm not quitting but I think I'm just gonna chill for a bit. I know I'm selling my cocker and sniper2 and getting a phantom again so who know's how long my hiatus will last.

My advice is to sell everything but you mag's but go ahead and get your p-mag done as it would look great and be a good shooter when you do come back to the game.

JB.

durrell
04-17-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm in the same spot. Every bit of my gear is gone with the exception of some allen wrenches. I still sell gear but I just never play anymore..

timbertiger20
04-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Sorry to hear it:( Dibs on the Tac One again :)

Recon by Fire
04-18-2006, 12:11 AM
I thought you picked up one? If I do part with the mags, it is yours. Want the EOTech on it too? LOL Every paintball marker needs a $350 holo sight!

OtterSC
04-18-2006, 03:34 AM
Anyone else considering an exodus???

:otter: :rolleyes:

Elfmaze
04-18-2006, 05:09 AM
I haven't played since i left for college. ~5 years now. i still have my spyder i started with and used to play three man. but i would get soo pissed off at the cheating and cost of cheap worthless cra.... i mean gear. I still have my stuff and i'm comming outa my hole. but i'll never look at the tourney side again. rec ball is where the fun is at. just go out to a decent field. foot the $100 bill once a year and give em hell.

Hob Hayward
04-18-2006, 05:53 AM
Ah I've not yet gotten into the tourney scene so I have nothing to be unhappy about. I love to hear people want to go back to pumps, thats where I'm headed right now aswell. I've ordered myself a custom phantom. Play the recball, its as so many people have put it "where the funs at." Though Playing with you speedball vets isn't so much fun for everyone else... Unless you're all toting pump markers rather than some 800$+ gun.

Theres also the option of just take a break for a few years. Lots of people do it, and they're back without even a thought the next time they play.

bamf-hacker
04-18-2006, 06:15 AM
another one leaving....... :(

Sad to see you go. Just remember you can come back and play. It is not an all or nothing thing. Go out for some recball with some friends. Or get a once or twice a year big group together. That is what we do.

I play once a month or so when I can, family comes first. Then we play 2 big games a year, 50 or so friends in a dedicated group. That way we don't have the 12 year old walk-ons with their Mommy and Daddy bought DM6's (no offense to anyone, just some of those kids don't respect money or the sport) We have a great time and most of us cant wait until the next time we play.

Just my .02

Again sad to see you go, but again remember it is not an all or nothing thing. Play every once in a while, you need to it is in your blood :)

HacKeR

timbertiger20
04-18-2006, 07:09 AM
I never bought one. I bought a Palmer Blazer. I actually have a Spec-Ops Recon Team sponsorship now........and we get an amazing discount! Haven't priced out a Tac-One though!

chubb0rz
04-18-2006, 08:41 AM
man more and more people leaving...sad but thats life.

I have yet to see my end in sight :) but i'm sure you will find other things to devote your time and $$ to that you will enjoy just as much.

High Voltage
04-18-2006, 11:35 AM
ya pb is like crack, hes right... i always say im gonna quit playin after july, but then when the fresh spring air rolls in, and u see all the new guns come out, ur just sucked right back in... when i upped my imagine(over 200$ into it.), all last year, and then mid summer rolled around and i was like WTF DID I DO I AM A DUMB ASS, But now im back into it, sometimes its good to put somethin down for a lil bit, (i also got to the point where it was all i thought about, i literaly wanted to paintball everywhere i went, i would think what if i could paintball in the mall, my house, the movie theatre, school... and eventually i got tired of it.) but like he said before, try new things, play a scenario game, or more woodsball, or if u do that, then try airball.. dont worry about it, im sure u would regret selling all your stuff eventually in the long run...

NB_Hacker_NB
04-18-2006, 11:37 AM

LOL, Siggyed!

pman15
04-18-2006, 12:37 PM
ya i was considering leaving paintball 4 a while, bc i haven't played in about 5 months my gear just sits in the corner waiting 2 b used. But eventually, one day i'll play paintball again{i'm not leaving paintball} just have 2 wait and see what happens.

sucks 2 see another member come and go though

nbishop66
04-18-2006, 04:44 PM
I've been away from the game since about 1992. That's when I had my first kid. Can't make time for everything. When my son turned 13 back in 05 we both started to play. Like was said earlier in this thread, I'm not to thrilled with what I'm seeing from players these days. I'm not sure if it's just the people I've run into or society in general, but the complete lack of respect for others seems to run rapid on the speedball field. Trash talking, cursing when there are obviously small children around, and no-one taking responsibility for there actions. I've played in many speedball games where guys were pummeled with rounds after their arms were up in the air as they were walking off the field. Sometimes I know accidents happen, but what's wrong with the shooter taking responsibility for what he has done and apologizing. I was personally nailed by someone after I was out and walking off the field, who from what I could tell by the bruise on my leg and the pain it inflicted, was shooting hot. I confronted him after the game suggesting he get the gun checked again and told him he nailed me as I was walking off. Not one, I'm sorry man, nothing. He said he had his gun checked that morning and didn't want any part of getting it checked again.

Back in the good old days, my boys and I were playing woodsball against another team Outlaw style in the woods of RI. I had a clean shot at the top of another players head. What did I do, I told him to either move his head, or I would take the head shot. He moved I nailed him in the shoulder. I guess it all goes back to respect for others.

I think this year is going to be a woodsball year. Last year was strictly speedball. I'm hoping to get away from the big attitudes and hopefully have some fun with my son.

paintballer5646
04-18-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm taking a break from paintball till I can get a job to support it and a car to take me to it. Honestly, I'm fed up with everyone cheating at the field. It's just to much and the refs don't care. I understand that you can miss a few things and I'm fine with that but the obvious stuff should be called. Also I don't mind being bonus balled. It just makes be play better next game so I can stay in the whole game and then I don't get bonus balled.

ttink
04-19-2006, 07:11 PM
sweet heavens... It seems most of the board decided to quit while ive been gone... Thats kind of sad. At least KUSA is still sort of alive :)

Hob Hayward
04-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Ah this happens all to often people have been saying the same thing on other forums. What I say is, don't play speedball, go back to the origin of paintball, play woodsball, don't get worked up on it, just become a walkon, in woodsball the players are generally better in my opinion from what I've seen, perhaps try playin pump, bring a true chalenge to the game. Maybe take a break for a bit, back off from everything paintball, and come back in a year or so. You'll be happier, and the novelty will make it so much more fun.

paintgirl66
04-25-2006, 03:31 PM
wow lots of people like me. honestly, i'm tired of it. paintball just isn't as fun for me as it used to be. my team didn't do much last year, and i'm probably not going to be able to do anything with them this year, which would be fine, but now my fiance is on the team and he's going psycho. he's obsessed. so i guess he's going to be playing a lot while i'm not. i'm considering a job change which will have me working weekends.... no more tourneys for me. i'm just starting to see it all as a big waste of money and time. a case of paint is more than a tank of gas for me. a gun is an entire paycheck or (depending on the gun) 2 months rent. and when i put it in that perspective... it seems less appealing. not to mention the cheating and bad attitudes already spoken of. i'm not selling my equipment, my fiance would skin me (he likes working on my guns now and sitting on the couch dreaming and holding them). i guess i'm just bummed out about paintball these days.

keep the mags.

Recon by Fire
04-26-2006, 04:42 PM
I will be keeping the Mags and the Hornet for now. Since I cannot play right now anyway I will just sit out this hiatus and see how things are when I can finally have the chance to play.

To be continued....

TacTownKilla
05-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Well im bringin this thread back because i am in a similar boat. Kinda leaving the tourney scene to play more recball. Heck you might even see me on a woodsball field some time soon, wow its been like 3+ years since i played on a field that didnt require a leafblower to blow up. Anyways this is where my paintball career is headed towards if anyone cares (i dont think anyone will even look at this post).

ShadowX
05-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Nah, I hear you Tac... Sometimes I go to the feild and on the way home, I say to myself, "I had no fun today"... Just seems like we are only playing to show off our guns or to look agg or something...

i have often considered doing the same thing you are considering..

vikingshadow
05-07-2006, 03:09 PM
I looked at it! And totally understand what you're saying...

I've quietly stayed in the pb scene after declaring my absence...haven't played mind you, but haven't left either. I actually went to the field for the first time in like 4 months yesterday and it was pretty cool. With just a couple weeks left of school, I've found that it was actually my stress relief.

As far as tournaments go, I'm pretty much finished (for awhile, unless I just get the urge of the summer.) But, you'll see me on the woods/rec speedball fields probably this summer. In fact, I have something working, just like you, actually a ******* which I assume is what you have, from your sales thread...

You guys may remember that thread I posted awhile back about going through the National Board Certification? Well, yesterday, I found out that they only offered 400 scholarships and had 1069 applicants. Needless to say, I wasn't one of the 400 who were offered the scholarship. Pretty devestating, since I'm used to usually getting most things I apply for, education-wise, that is. The worst part is going through and seeing who, from my district, actually DID get the scholarship. It'll be tough dealing with that, I think.

Anywho, it costs $2500.00 up front to pay for it on my own. The state will reimburse me if I happen to actually get certified, but that's a big gamble...I'll apply again next year, but as for this coming year, at least that pressure will be off my shoulders. As such, it opens up some extra time for me to "relieve some stress" and it's come to my attention that I used to relieve it pretty well through paintball....so that's my sole reason for coming back at the moment, if you can even call it a come-back.

timmyshoota
05-07-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm considering not quitting. I've pretty much put the sport on hold right now, but I haven't made that decision final yet. I love playing and would love to continue to play, its just expensive. I'm thinking about giving it a chance. Trying to play just twice a month, just playing half a day sometimes. Budgeting my paint better in games. Last time I played, it had been awhile, so I used more paint than normal. I've been used to playing paintball games, where the paint is free and it must of gotten to me. I think I could do it.

CRAP! Now I want to play again. I just need equipment still. :p

Live2Play
05-07-2006, 03:48 PM
I hear ya tac, when you want to leave the tourney scene. I had taken about a year break from paintball and am just getting back into it this summer. It just wasn't as fun for me. Everybody always cheating, everything, just wasn't like it used to be for me. But this summer, me and a couple of friends are just going to do some rec ball and some woodsball, and a few of the scenarios this summer. Nothing big or major, just some wholesome paintball fun - the way it used to be.:) Hopefully you come back and discover a way to make it fun like it used to be.

Don't think about that scene. It will just make you angry and resent the sport even more.
He speaks the truth. The more you focus on that, the more its going to frustrate you. Best to just clear it out of your head and ignore it.

Eaglelox
05-08-2006, 04:45 AM
when i played in the 80's i was on a team. every weekend was a tournament. it got real old and the fun wisent there any more. my team mates were to serious about out games any more. everyone started planning there strategy and telling others what to do and were to go. i didn’t like it any more so i quit for a while. sold my bud ore and didn’t play for 3- 4 years and lost touch of my PB friends.
when i did start to play again i made sure not to join a team. i don’t play every weekend so it is real nice when i do go. i have a bunch of new PB friends now(old ones don’t play any more). most of us are not too serious about PB and still play for the fun. all our pay fields are out of business as of 2 weeks ago so it is strictly woodsball or shall i say desertball.

it might be different in larger areas, but the cheaters and smack talkers have always been around here. no different than my first days of PB. difference now is we ask them to stop it or leave. Have to deal with jerks everywhere you go.
just remember to have a good time. its a game and you play games. try something new.