PDA

View Full Version : MR1 vs. MR2, which better and why?

new_Faction64
04-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, I'm considering getting an MR-series marker, and I'm curious, which gun would be a better buy?

I'm talking
-price to performance (bang for buck)
-upgradability
-grip changing (rocking-trigger and ESPs are compatible w/ MR1, not MR2), etc.
-MR2 has "mini-expansion chamber", the MR1 none, but can be added
-some people iffy on the MR2's electronic trigger (the button contact trigger)
-barrel options

Price plays a good factor into this also, because i can get the MR1 for $100 or the MR2 for $200, each with their unique upgradabilty/built in stuff.

What's everyone's opinion? I'm not very sure which to get yet. thanks.

***If I put an electronic trigger on an MR1 would I be able to get 25BPS or at least 13BPS (full-auto) like the MR2 can?*****

Voodoo27909
04-17-2006, 08:35 AM
If money is a factor, and you look forward to upgrading alittle at a time as you can afford to do so...then I would have to say the MR1 is the right choice. You can find an electronic frame to fit it used off of another type of Spyder somewhere down the road for around $45.00 (used). It most likely wont be rated for more than 13 BPS or so, but who cares...even though the MR2 is RATED at 25BPS, u cant really achieve it anyway because it will only get it in SEMI mode (..and lets face it, no one can hit 25BPS in semi anyway, LOL.) ...Go with the MR1 for the price.

Just my humble opinion....

Hob Hayward
04-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Besides the fact that when your playing woodsball, do you need more than 10 ever? No, not at all. I'd go for ther MR1 If woodsball is your game, if speedball is, I wouldn't get either, go for an imagine then... The Mr2 does look cooler, but thatsa about it. Besides its coolness prevents you from having certain barrels because of that stupid shroud... Mr1 is the way to go, cheaper, practically as a good, and can be upgraded however much ye like.

new_Faction64
04-17-2006, 10:25 AM
thanks guys. Voodoo, for a person who owns the MR2, I appreciate that advice. :)

My one big concern is getting the MR1 and even if I did upgrade to an electronic trigger, it would prolly run up the price to that of an MR2, so that's kinda useless.

WhatThaSmurf
04-17-2006, 02:07 PM
I would go with the MR1 with and e-frame, simply because you can get used e-frames for not that much and it would give you room for upgrades.

NextoN
04-17-2006, 02:15 PM
If moneys the problem you should get the imagine?

WhatThaSmurf
04-17-2006, 02:24 PM
I'd go for ther MR1 If woodsball is your game, if speedball is, I wouldn't get either, go for an imagine then.
I am just wondering, why would someone be looking at a scenario gun for speedball?

sticky979
04-17-2006, 03:07 PM
Should be much beeter than my SIM4:

Hello everybody! Ive been reading this forum ever since ive even wanted an ariakon marker, and I knew when i had troubles that this would be the place to go. Anyways, on to the problems. I got my Sim-4 just before December, and didn't have the chance to play with it untill recently. When I went to the field to play with it the first time, I handed the man working at the counter my marker to chrono it. After firing it off a couple of times, the marker stopped shooting and just quit on him. I couldn't really see what he was doing from where I was waiting, but it looked like he just kept cocking it and putting the C02 back on the remote line untill it shot agian. Once he got it shooting, he had troubles with the velocity spiking. I figured this would happen as it was the first time I was really playing with it, and I had only plinked around with it when I got my remote line. After about 10 frustrating minutes, he finnaly just took the velocity screw out and handed it to me, saying that the velocity just wouldn't stop spiking. So I went into the next game and got ready to play. As the game started and I started to shoot around, the paint started to curve worse than my flatline barrel when it was put on wrong. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and played with it untill the end of the day. When I got home, I took it apart following the instruction manuel, and cleaned and oiled the moving parts and the O-rings. Then I put it together, cocked the marker to wear it in, and put it away. I didnt play agian for about 1 month, although I occasionaly took the marker out and dry-fired it once, so that the spring wasn't compressed all the time. Today, I went out and played with the Sim-4, hoping that everything would be okay. I was not happy. First, I aired up the marker with air I just bought yesterday, and then I loaded up PMI Marbalizer that I had just bought yesterday also. I shot the Sim, the balls went pratically sideways, and I couldn't hit a large piece of plywood 20 feet away, as the paint would curve wildly from the moment it left the barrel. (some even did a corkscrew) Then the paint started breaking in the barrel, the feed neck, and paint started to leak out of the ball detent. After trying everything to fix the marker, I went out there and just played. During the middle of the games, the gun would just not fire, shoot 2,3 balls at a time, or just spray a broken ball. I sqeegied the barrel alot and tried many different things to get the paint to shoot strait, all to no avial.

Eric182
04-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Hmm,
Yeah, A guy I know has a SIM-4 and it is absolute garbage. It has many of the same problems you have. It leaks balls out the barrel or double shoots, so the detent is probaly messed. The thing is SO innaccurate too. I remember he was trying to shoot a balloon from like 6 feet away and it took him like 20 shots to hit it. It was classic. Sorry I coundn't be more helpful though.

new_Faction64
04-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Sticky979, delete your useless post before I PM a moderator to do it for you, that was totally off topic.

Frat
04-17-2006, 07:05 PM
I have an MR1 that I am starting to mod out. I have a pilot ACS comming that I am going to canabalize parts off of and put them on the MR1 starting with the e-trigger.

Chapman88
04-18-2006, 09:14 AM
About the sim-4, my friend had a similar problem, call ariakon, they will talk you through checks and if u send it to them they will fix or feplace it for free...

lilc
04-18-2006, 11:30 AM
If money is a factor, and you look forward to upgrading alittle at a time as you can afford to do so...then I would have to say the MR1 is the right choice. You can find an electronic frame to fit it used off of another type of Spyder somewhere down the road...Go with the MR1 for the price...

I concur with Voodoo 100%. A Kingman Spyder ESP electronic trigger frame (as low as $50 on eBay) will give your MR1 two speeds of full auto fire plus a three-shot burst mode, and it can be added to the stock MR1 configuration with no custom airline and no additional parts except a Spyder grip frame adapter (about $15).

http://www.pbase.com/chrisbynum/image/58850763.jpg

You can do it yourself in, like, five minutes.

I also recommend Dye Sticky grips, a Fireball Mountain Delrin blade trigger, and a Scenario Dreams 25-gram switch to upgrade to replace the stock components that come with the ESP frame.

NextoN
04-18-2006, 12:42 PM
You forgot the barrel upgrade (j&j ceramic would be a good choice) and maybe an expansion chamber?

new_Faction64
04-18-2006, 01:11 PM
I concur with Voodoo 100%. A Kingman Spyder ESP electronic trigger frame (as low as $50 on eBay) will give your MR1 two speeds of full auto fire plus a three-shot burst mode, and it can be added to the stock MR1 configuration with no custom airline and no additional parts except a Spyder grip frame adapter (about $15).

You can do it yourself in, like, five minutes.

I also recommend Dye Sticky grips, a Fireball Mountain Delrin blade trigger, and a Scenario Dreams 25-gram switch to upgrade to replace the stock components that come with the ESP frame.

Sounds like a pretty good idea lilc, I think I may go with that idea after all.

Eric182
04-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Sticky979, delete your useless post before I PM a moderator to do it for you, that was totally off topic.

Geez, cut him some slack, he's just looking for some help.
His comment isn't hurting anyone, just scroll past it. :rolleyes:

new_Faction64
04-19-2006, 04:04 PM
I only found 1 ESP frame sale...for 54 bucks...he doesn't even state any specs on it.

Hob Hayward
04-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Best deal is to buy a refurb imagine off www.actionvillage.com

they go for like 64$ or somthing, take the e-frame, and sell the imagine with your old mech frame. Might be able to snag up to 50$ for it if your lucky.

new_Faction64
04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Well, this is kinda useless, I'm not crazy about the Imagine idea, mainly because if I'm gonna spend that much extra to get the Trigger, I might as well gain the ACS and the other advantages the MR2 has.

So I'm back to the MR2 idea now. I'm startin to think getting the MR1 isn't very advantageous, since the ESP Trigger is hard to find/not cheaper like I thought, the MR1 has no ACS, and has no non-moving cocking mechanism (the MR2's is internal after the initial cock)....and yeah, might as well just go w/ the MR2.

Eric182
04-21-2006, 04:18 PM
good call.

Hob Hayward
04-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Guess so, you've made good points for it, though getting a refurb imagine would work well in my opinion...

new_Faction64
04-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Guess so, you've made good points for it, though getting a refurb imagine would work well in my opinion...

It would absolutely work, but IMO, after shipping, it would be cutting it very close, and the idea of all this extra modding and work is kinda an annoyance, so I thought, forget it, I'll just get the MR-2 and spend the extra dough.

Mach1
04-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Well if money is tight, I would go with the MR1

But if you got the money, I would tell you to get the MR 2.

I have a MR2 and except for some bugs, it has performed very well.

The only problem with the MR2 is the Shroud, but other than that, if you can get it for 200$, I would take it in a heartbeat.

tex
04-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Cant the shroud be removed and a different expansion chamber be put on?

Mach1
04-23-2006, 08:19 AM
I think it can, but the gun would look horrible.

new_Faction64
04-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Yeah I'm just worried the stock "mini expansion chamber" wouldn't work so well.

ooglieboogliebob
04-23-2006, 10:21 AM
.... well then get HPA ... or if your just gonna stick with co2 .. get it anti-siphoned .. should help you a loads ...

Although .. you are right on ... the whole annoyances part ... (which won't occur unless you have no mechanical abilities) ... just buying a frame on the BST on this site or pbnation .. it'll be around 30-40 ... not 50 .... the IPI frames are fairly cheap ... shipping on the BST is only around 4 dollars ... or it's already included ... You'd be saving a whole lot ... it's really up to you though ...

new_Faction64
04-23-2006, 11:54 AM
HPA is too expensive for me right now, and would be a frivilous buy because of that (it would run my budget through the roof).

Thanks for the other frame suggestion though, I'll check that out.

ooglieboogliebob
04-23-2006, 03:06 PM
anti-siphon is a must then ..

new_Faction64
04-23-2006, 04:21 PM
anti-siphon is a must then ..

All right, thanks. Do most bottles come w/ anti-siphon, or do I have to buy some thing separate?

ooglieboogliebob
04-23-2006, 04:28 PM
nope, you needa buy them seperate .. and you needa find a walkthough for it too .... make sure to use red loctite though ... i'd probably just take it to your local shop ...

new_Faction64
04-23-2006, 05:18 PM
nope, you needa buy them seperate .. and you needa find a walkthough for it too .... make sure to use red loctite though ... i'd probably just take it to your local shop ...

Bleh, that's lousy, they should come pre-installed. Thanks for the information.

ooglieboogliebob
04-23-2006, 05:32 PM
can't come preinstalled .... if it did ... you'd 75% of the time get a siphon tube, and you want an ANTI-siphoned bottle ... partly because ... you need to align it to fit your ASA ... partly why you do it yourself ...

new_Faction64
04-23-2006, 07:09 PM
can't come preinstalled .... if it did ... you'd 75% of the time get a siphon tube, and you want an ANTI-siphoned bottle ... partly because ... you need to align it to fit your ASA ... partly why you do it yourself ...

mmm OK thanks for the clarification there.

lilc
04-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Well, this is kinda useless, I'm not crazy about the Imagine idea, mainly because if I'm gonna spend that much extra to get the Trigger, I might as well gain the ACS and the other advantages the MR2 has...

On an MR1, if you upgrade the ball detent with a Timmy detent ($3) and the bolt with an aftermarket one with higher tolerances (like Alamo City, $19), you won't be chopping paint as long as your e-loader is adequate, so a Kingman ACS bolt is less of a big deal -- plus you'll be lightening your reciprocating mass. In combination with a lightened striker, you can expect a smoother, faster action and higher cyclic rates. Plus you get better compatibility with other Spyder hop-ups you can afford because you bought the gun that was half as much.

WhatThaSmurf
04-25-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't know why people think chopping is such a huge problem, all you need is good detents and an e-loader.

new_Faction64
04-25-2006, 05:35 PM
On an MR1, if you upgrade the ball detent with a Timmy detent ($3) and the bolt with an aftermarket one with higher tolerances (like Alamo City, $19), you won't be chopping paint as long as your e-loader is adequate, so a Kingman ACS bolt is less of a big deal -- plus you'll be lightening your reciprocating mass. In combination with a lightened striker, you can expect a smoother, faster action and higher cyclic rates. Plus you get better compatibility with other Spyder hop-ups you can afford because you bought the gun that was half as much.

Thanks, LilC, that's all very promising and very interesting, but honestly, the prospect of having to get an electronic ESP trigger frame 2nd hand is a big pain in my arse, that's the big reason why I don't want to get it.

wayleft
04-25-2006, 07:41 PM
I have had an MR2 about a month, and my buddy has had an MR1 for about 2 months.

I for one love the style of this marker. It is my first, and will not be my last, but I will keep it for a long time to come. I have stock ball detents, and barrel, Dye stickies, I had a revvy but swithed to a Halo B. The marker is actually much better with the Halo... I constantly out shot my revvy, I can't outshoot the Halo (I've heard some people could, but doubt it would happen in very many games I play) since Igot the Halo I have had 1 chop in about 3000 shots.
I'm still trying to find which paint I like the best, cost vs accuracy. Even with cheap paint the marker is more accurate than I am.

As for the MR1. I would buy it! It is lighter, has much better grips stock than does the MR2, is really accurate. My buddies is now wearing my old revvy and is pretty quick, he could just outshoot the hopper.

Honestly I think the MR2 is the better expendeture of cash(mine was 199$), I prefer is style, I really like the e-trigger, and I love the HaloB sitting on top of it. That said if money were tighter the MR1 is good! Ive seen it online new for 97$ and considered buying it as a back up.

tex
04-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Try using a remote instead of the anti-siphon. I have been using one and have had no problem.

lilc
04-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks, LilC, that's all very promising and very interesting, but honestly, the prospect of having to get an electronic ESP trigger frame 2nd hand is a big pain in my arse, that's the big reason why I don't want to get it.

I said I found one on eBay, but I never said it was second hand. It was brand new. And Action Village has complete factory refurbished (i.e., under warranty) Spyder Imagines -- with ESP e-triggers -- for $62). I have played with the ESP in the wet, the dirt, and the mud with ZERO problems.

tex
05-06-2006, 08:31 PM
I use a remote. IMO there is no need for an anti-siphon. I get no blow back and it keeps the gun a little on the lighter side.

tlbspyderman
05-11-2006, 07:07 PM
I've been reading up on your opinions and they have helped me alot in deciding which marker to get. I've ben using Spyder's since I started...I find them affordable, dependable and fun to use and maintain. With a lot of aftermarket upgrades out there. My TL still fires great and I got a Pilot a few summers ago. It's time to pass those to the kids, they will start playing this summer and it's a good excuse as any to get the new MR's..Thanks guys!