PDA

View Full Version : Riddle, I'm Stuck

03TiburonGT
04-14-2006, 02:24 PM
My Dad showed this to me and I can't figure it out!!!

What to ask?

A nurse is stranded on a remote island inhabited by two tribes. She is trying to find the antidote to a poison her companion ate. She wants to ask the tribes for help, but it having difficulty. The tribe members are indistinguishable from each other by appearance. The members of one tribe can tell only truth, the members of the other tribe can tell only lies.

Furthermore, the members of both tribes know only two words, "yes" and "no". The nurse comes to a bamboo table with two identical jars on it; one on the left, one on the right. A sign tells the nurse one jar contains the antidote, while the other contains a substance that will speed up the poison's effect. The sign does not indicate which jar is which. A native sits at the table, but of course the nurse can't tell which tribe the native represents.

What one question with an answer of either "yes" or "no" can the nurse ask of the native that will perit her to take the safe jar?

NB_Hacker_NB
04-14-2006, 02:29 PM
She could ask him, " Will you tell me which jar contains the antidote", if he says "Yes", and doesn't tell her which the antidote is, then he'd be a liar. :)

03TiburonGT
04-14-2006, 02:38 PM
She could ask him, " Will you tell me which jar contains the antidote", if he says "Yes", and doesn't tell her which the antidote is, then he'd be a liar. :)

Yeah I already figured out how to do it in two questions, but the riddle requires only one. I thought of "Do both jars contain the antidote?" If No, he's a truth teller, if Yes, he's a liar. Then just ask which one is the antidote and pick the opposite if hes a liar or the one the truth teller suggests.

vikingshadow
04-14-2006, 02:39 PM
The question is somewhat correct, but not the complete thinking. You should ask the tribe member if this jar has the antidote in it. If he says yes, then one, he's lying and it would be in the other jar. If he says no, and he's telling the truth, then it'd be in the other jar. So either way, it'll be in the other jar!

I think....that is!

03TiburonGT
04-14-2006, 02:48 PM
The question is somewhat correct, but not the complete thinking. You should ask the tribe member if this jar has the antidote in it. If he says yes, then one, he's lying and it would be in the other jar. If he says no, and he's telling the truth, then it'd be in the other jar. So either way, it'll be in the other jar!

I think....that is!

I think you forgot the reverse scenario. If you ask if the jar with the antidote in it is the correct one and he's a liar he will say no. If he tells the truth he will say yes. If you pointed to the jar with the poison enhancer in it, the liar would say yes and the truth teller would say no.

ooglieboogliebob
04-14-2006, 03:45 PM
... you could always ask a few tribe members if one of the bottle is the antidote ... and if you get more than one no or more than one yes .. you know that it isn't or is the antidote :)

xNinja-Dolphinx
04-14-2006, 03:53 PM
take both jars and youve fixed the problem

druid
04-14-2006, 04:07 PM
combine both jars ...the antidote will cancel out the catalyst and cure the patient

bamf-hacker
04-14-2006, 04:18 PM
you could give the tribe member some of the poison, then ask him will you drink from this jar. If he says yes then make him do it first and then you are safe :)

Good one...

Let me think about the real answer for a little while, I am usually good at these brain teasers.

HacKeR

DFSniper
04-17-2006, 01:57 AM
take both jars and youve fixed the problem
:stupid: thats what i was thinking. i hate those "one lies, one tells the truth" riddles... if you've seen Labryinth with David Bowie, theres a riddle just like it in there, but i cant remember how it goes. the actual theory of the riddle is an old one...

DRAGON
04-17-2006, 01:57 PM
The answer is elementary. You simply bring Pam Anderson into the hut with you and don't even ask a question at all you just say, "Whomever tells me which jar is the correct one first gets this fine little mama for an hour"(via native sign language). They'll to kill each other to answer first -

MatthewTheTheif
04-17-2006, 04:27 PM
i remember that it has to be a double negative, but i cant remember the exact question it is, its either "is this jar NOT the antidote" or "is this jar not the poison"

DFSniper
04-18-2006, 01:05 PM
it has something to do with "would the other person tell me that he's telling the truth..." or something along those lines

leed
04-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Sorry to revive the old thread, but I thought about the riddle, and came up with this:

The Nurse would ask him, How would the representative of the other tribe respond if I asked him if this jar (pointing towards a jar) were the Cure.

If the jar happened to actually be the Cure:

If the representative were a Liar, he would think in his mind that the Truther would say Yes, so the Liar would respond with No.
If the representative were a Truther, he would think in his mind that the Liar would think Yes, but say No, as he is the liar, so the Truther would respond with No.

Then you know that that jar has to be the Cure.

If the jar happened to be the Poision:

If the representative were a Liar, he would think in his mind that the Truther would say No, but being a liar, he would respond with Yes.

If the representative were a Truther, he would think in his mind that the Liar would think No, but say Yes, as he is a liar.

In this case, you know that that jar is not the Cure.

Is that it?

vikingshadow
04-21-2006, 04:49 AM
That's kind of what I said, but in less words. (Ya, I know! Believe it or not!) Same answer anyways....

leed
04-21-2006, 12:31 PM

I think....that is!

But if the jar isthe antidote, the Liar says no, because it is the antidote. The truther, though, would respond with yes, because it is. So you're stuck with the same problem.

The concept is to ask a question that you know the answer to.

Here is another example:

You're in a foreign land, you are walking on a pathway and you come to a fork in a road. Two roads in front of you though, and you don't know which leads to the city, which is where you're trying to get. BUT, the natives of this foreign land are made up of two types, the Liars, and the Truthers. The problem is, it is entirely impossible to tell them apart from appearance. Asking one question as many times as you'd like, how would you find the right road?

The question you'd want to ask is, "Is this the way to the city?" This is the best question because even though if you ask if one road or the other is the way to the city, you will always get opposite answers. So, instead of asking which of the two roads is the way to the city. You have to think of a question that you already know the answer to. So, how does that question work? Well, you point down the road you just came from, and ask if that road leads to the city. You know that it doesn't, since you just came from it, so how the Native answers will determine if he's the liar or the truther. Thus, asking that same question for the other two, you can determine which one is the way to the city.

That's not that hard, but you sort of have to think outside of the box (I didn't come up with that answer, I read it somewhere).

But the one that Tib gave was more complicated because you can only ask one question and only once (I'm assuming). The question you'd want to form is a question where you would get the same answer from both parties. The way the question works, is you know how a truther would answer the question if it were a certain jar, and you would know how a liar would answer a question if it were a certain jar. BUT, since the Liar knows how the Truther would answer, he would lie about it and say how the Truther would answer if he were lying (or how the Liar would answer). The truther knows how the liar would say it, and would answer how the liar would answer.

It is confusing, and it took me a while. But if you could ask the question more than once, than you could ask, (pointing to something you know isn't the antidote, for example, the poison that your friend consumed) and "Is this the cure?" If the representative were to answer yes, than you know he is a liar, and then you could ask the same question upon the two jars, and then you'd find it. If the representative were to answer no, then you know that he is a truther, and you could ask the same question upon the two jars and you'd find the answer that way as well.

*EM1-Master*
04-22-2006, 07:33 PM
...screw this thinking... I think it's just time to call Chuck Norris... :)

ooglieboogliebob
04-22-2006, 07:52 PM
... well now that i think about it ... you could do it your way leed ... but you could also ask ... "are these both the antidote?" ... if the representativve says yes .. then you know they're lying ... vice versa ...

claustrophobia9
04-22-2006, 09:52 PM
But if the jar is The way the question works, is you know how a truther would answer the question if it were a certain jar, and you would know how a liar would answer a question if it were a certain jar. BUT, since the Liar knows how the Truther would answer, he would lie about it and say how the Truther would answer if he were lying (or how the Liar would answer). The truther knows how the liar would say it, and would answer how the liar would answer. tibs said he was LIAR not someone who was attempting to decieve the woman, just tell her the wrong answer.

so the liar wouldn't say a different answer because they knew the truther would answer differently.

i think that you write the question down, and combine all neccesary questions into one run-on question. the riddle never called for a gramatically correct question.

claustrophobia9
04-25-2006, 04:31 PM
I GOT IT!!!

you say:

"Are either of the following statements true?:

you are the liar and this is the antedoite

your are the "truther" and this is the catalyst"

if its no its the antedote if its yes its the catalyst.

DFSniper
04-26-2006, 01:06 PM
hmm, makes sense...

claustrophobia9
04-26-2006, 01:08 PM
im like batman, cuz i pwn the riddler.