View Full Version : i am n00b
04-14-2006, 12:05 AM
ok. i ebay'd a new imagine for christmas. i belive it is an 05. i know i is the newer vesion of them, but i don't know if there was a difference between the 04's and 05's. it came with a sweetspot trigger. idk if that is a special thing of 05's or not. i have been paintballing roughly 10 times before (using rental guns). i am not so great with a lot of the "acronyms" so you may have to dumb it up a bit for me.
1. i know i need a new barrel. i use ebay for most of my stuff. they have a lot of different barrels for good prices. i have head a lot of people say go with the j&j ceramic and you are good for a very long time. i have also heard a lot of people say freak kits are the way to go. i have seen empire barrel kits. are they good? or is there one better than these three?
2. sinse my gun came with a 20oz co2 tank i know i need a dropfoward. a pretty long one i think.
3. a new bolt seems to be necessary. i am leaning towards an acs delrin bolt. but ive read a lot of threads about those messing up your fps and you have to buy a 32* spring kit. and is it worth the extra money or just go with a regular delrin bolt. i.e. a superfly delrin or something. anything better for a low price?
4. i bought an evo2 hopper off of one of my brother's friends for $10 and i have to use a neck with it to hold it in place and it sticks like a foot or so off of my gun. what kind of clamping feed should i get? i need a much smaller profile.
5. grips. i read stock grips are not good. they are not waterproof at all. a lot of people say dye sticky grips. good or not?
6. and the whole low pressure thing. i have a "low pressure chamber"(the thing under my barrel). i think that's what it is anyway. does that mean it conserves more co2?
7. expansion chambers. i think i know what they do(allow co2 time to become a gas) but does my gun have one? i have a gas through grip thing. and on the bottom of it i can twist off a piece. does the expansion chamber go where that is?
one more thing. would i be able to take my body to an auto paintshop(idk if that is worded right... a place where you can get cars detailed.. there we go) and get a custom paintjob? i know exactly how i want it to look. idk how much it would cost or if it can be done(good for gun or if shops would be willing to do it)
p.s. sry for a long post/n00b questions but i need opinions from people who know what they are talking about.
04-14-2006, 12:31 AM
First off welcome to the forums, post any questions you have and someone will be sure to answer them. be sure to checkout our online bible at http://www.ottersccustoms.com anything dealing with spyders is contained within that website...
Now onto your ?'s:
1. J&J ceramic isn't a bad barrel at all for the price. If you have the money go with the freakor empire kit. You can then match the size of your barrel to the size of paint, reducing barrel breaks and increasing air efficiency.
2. Dropforward is just personal preference, try out other peoples markers with a drop before you decide if it's right for you.
3. Bolt, ACS isn't bad just be sure to break it in, if not just do the poor man bolt mod listed on Otter's site to make it higher flowing.
4. Any of the low or no pro feednecks with holes for spyders out would be compatible and lower your profile... (Check the BST forums)
5. No grips are waterproof. Water can still get in there and short out your board. Dye stickies are great for comfort and all but if playing in a down pour will not keep the water out. (check the BST forum)
6. Forget how to explain the LPC i'm sure someone esle will pick that one up, I'll tell you that it does not conserve CO2. If serious about playing you should switch to compressed air...
7. If I remember right the gas through grip serves as an expansion chamber along with that LPC as well, shouldn't have to screw another one in...
04-14-2006, 01:32 AM
1. Freak barrel kits and Empire barrel kits are good.., but pricy .. it's for different bore sizes so it'll be better for different sized paint... I'd just say go for maybe a Smartparts teardrop, or maybe a CP 1 piece.. i'v heard a bit of problems with a J&J .. but if you already have it, it should be fine
2. Nah, you don't need a drop, unless it feels uncomfortable ... if it does ... it depends how much you want the tank to be put under the gun to the left ...or right ... whichever way it makes the tank shorter .... if your arms are long they should be fine ...
3. No new bolt needed, just take the venturi out of it .. Here's the Walkthrough (http://www.spyder-club.org/articles/boltmod.shtml), and a springkit would be very handy .. 32* is the best one out i believe .. (if you insist on getting a new bolt .. i'd maybe get an AKA lightning bolt, sunbear bolt or some others ...
4. Depends how much you want to spend for a clamping feedneck.. i'd probably go for CCM (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=Pct82siqL8N824yVYI28csJjNea5E_x2pmo=?Pro ductID=YlzAqArbwsgAAAECGWU0F1qE) or NDZ (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=Pct82siqL8N824yVYI28csJjNea5E_x2pmo=?Pro ductID=B53AqArbVbsAAAEF2vUC1H2k) ... my two picks :)
5. Dye stickies are good... and no grips are waterproof .. although i bet you could mod your stock grips to be waterproff.. just some rubber .. and superglue .. and make a tight fit and wala !!!
6. Nope, just lets it expand more ... to go more LP your gonna need to get a new VA and a reg and valve ... but you could always drill your VA, valve, and mod your valve pin for better flow ...
7. Well .. yours is really a gasthru grip ... expansion chambers don't do really anything.. but having one is better than not having one ... Just get a reg .. :p
They might ... but there are probably some annodizing sites that you can go to to anno your gun ... way better quality ... don't know the links though ...
The questions are fine .. thats why we're here ;)
04-14-2006, 07:29 AM
Well expansion chambers do do somthing if you have one, the spyder gas thru grips are not expansion chambers. Expansion chmabers have well many little chambers in them that make it hard for liquid to get up into your gun, but they arn't really neccissary.
04-14-2006, 03:14 PM
.... *cough* and don't work very well ... a reg'll do much more than that for not even double the price ...
04-14-2006, 06:14 PM
alright i think i should be good with the info i got for a while. thanks. if i need to know another thing(i probably will) ill just ask.
04-14-2006, 06:19 PM
what exactly does removing the venturi do?
and are all the ccm's and ndz's the right shape for a spyder, or just some of them?
04-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Only some will fit, get the "tabbed" one, thats made for spyders.
04-14-2006, 07:05 PM
ok i removed the venturi from my bolt. it was suprisingly easy. i didn't need to use fire. i just viced two nails and stuck my bolt onto them and twisted it out.
another thing about the removing of the venturi. it says to sandpaper the inside lip. should i just round it off or make the outside edge sharp so it is like this |\ /| ?
04-14-2006, 07:14 PM
the feednecks with tabs, not holes, are the ones you need for your imagine
04-14-2006, 07:22 PM
haha nice :) .. remember the sand the end of your bolt to make it less sharp ... (the inside) ... less chops that way :)
and yeah that tabs are the one you want ...
04-14-2006, 07:56 PM
sitting here looking at my bolt. would it be possible to just sand everything down? make it slightly thinner on all the metal parts. or if it would be possible to cut a ring in and put in another notch for an o-ring. would doing that do anything? i think it might reduce friction. i don't know. i could be very wrong.
on ebay there are barrels that have the name "tiller" with them. is tiller the company. if so are they any good. the barrels look good(porting). but they are almost all .69 bore size. i don't know if that is good.
04-14-2006, 11:03 PM
umm.... well i don't think you get what i mean ... if your thinking about polishing the bolt .. don't sand it a lot
Rest of bolt mod (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/boltmod.html)
04-15-2006, 05:53 AM
Yep, just lihgtly sand, its more of a polish, nothing less than 800 grit to start and say anything 1000 or above to finish. Then some mothers mag and you'll have the smoothest peice of aluminium eva!
You could add more o-rings, but only if you have extreme skill and the correct tools, I wouldn't try it, but if you think your capable, go for it.
Never heard of "tiller" barrels, maybe give us a link to one?
Oh yeah, and www.pbreview.com pwns.
04-15-2006, 08:56 AM
alright. thanks guys.
its just an ebay link cause that's the only place ive seen them. but there are usually an entire page and a half of them. they don't look too bad. guess it kind of depens on what is inside too.
you can search more of their stuff if you click on "barrels" toward the top of the screen. it is in kind of small text. it says sporting good>paintball>barrels click on barrels to look at all of them.
04-15-2006, 05:44 PM
ok. i think that the name of the barrels is not "tiller" it may just be "TL" because when you do an ebay search for tiller you don't get it. but if you do tl then you do. i don't know if tiller is what tl stands for or if that is just a name the sells puts on their product. im not sure.