PDA

View Full Version : controling the spin

Elfmaze
04-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Ok so i know of the flatline barrel that puts spin on the ball by "rolling" it out of the barrel. but i want to control those wild balls on my spyder. the wild bals are created by a bal picking up a spin while in the barrel right? left spin sends her right, top spin down, back spin up?

My idea was to put a bit of friction material at the end of my barrel. like a rubber ball detent to nick the top of the ball as its leaving the marker. who thinks this would set the spin right?

My other idea was to EEK sand the top of a barrel and rainX the bottom. that way more drag on top and you're spin will be set?

marvin-martian
04-13-2006, 03:23 PM
i dont think it would work, but you can always try i suppose

Hob Hayward
04-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Well thats similar to how the apex barrel works, it doesn't have roughness or an odd shape like the flatline, it has the adjuster at the tip, you could try somthing on the end of the barrel, if it works, you'll have a new home mod for the rest of us to try :)

marvin-martian
04-13-2006, 03:29 PM
i guess it would be possible, but i think it would take ALOT of fine tuning to get it to work properly

Elfmaze
04-13-2006, 03:39 PM
dang when the heck did that apex thingy come out? thats the exact concept only they have better tools. i'm a bit disapointed now.

Anyone know if the apex works?

marvin-martian
04-13-2006, 03:41 PM
it does exactly what they planned on it doing, the only thing people debate is its usefullness. i say the apex is impractical, but others disagree

big_daddy_d
04-13-2006, 03:45 PM
On a speedball field I agree with marvin and the apex is hella impractical, out in the woods I see more use for it...

vikingshadow
04-13-2006, 03:49 PM
I agree. The apex is a gimmick barrel. Shoot around corners, shoot further, shoot up, shoot down. Where's the fun, or the sport, in that? That'd be like those guys that hide in the deadbox when "GO GO GO" is yelled, poking their barrels through the holes in the netting. Maybe as a gimmick and for fun to do just standing around and shooting.

But I guarantee ya, if I was playing in a tournament and someone was shooting AROUND the bunker at me, I'd pay people to bonus his butt for me.

Whatever happened with that fishing line mod? Where the guy ran filament down his barrel and supposedly had the same affect that the flatline had?

Elfmaze
04-13-2006, 04:20 PM
i am more going for the rec ball here. i have never been able to get a marker to shoot straight every shot. thats all i want. not every tenth ball curving wildly.

NB_Hacker_NB
04-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Your only problem would be, getting it to not break the flight of the balls, and not breaking the balls themselves.

Elfmaze
04-13-2006, 04:37 PM
accually a piece of fishing line strung thru the ports of my j&j could work as long as the ports are pointed up

*EM1-Master*
04-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Fishline thing didn't work well... Concept was alright, just didn't really work...

Elfmaze
04-13-2006, 04:50 PM
oh well i'll have to get a few rounds of cheap paint and give her hell. try out a few concepts. obviously slatlines dont' work too well. but i just barley want any spin on it backward. as long as its not spin in any other direction i'm happy.

Santy
04-13-2006, 05:45 PM
u say u're getting one shot out of 10 curving? deal with it, its fine, if not, get a better barrel. You don;t need all these wierd modifications.

Hob Hayward
04-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Hes got a J&J barrel, that should be decent... Why do people run their spyders at LP? Because they like tinkering, he wants to make a better barrel out of what he has, Maybe I'll try the fishingline in my teardrop tommrow.