PDA

View Full Version : What is your job/degree.....

Muddytaco
04-12-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't remember ever seeing a thread about what everybodys job is or if your still in school what your degree is, so i thought i would start one up just to see what everybody does.

If your not old enough to work or your not in college for a degree program I guess just say what you want to be.

I'll start:

school:
Right now I am finishing up my degree in welding at cy-fair college, it will probably be another year before I finish due to the fact you have to take some classes before the others. I can now weld just about any type of metal (mild steel, aluminum, stainless, etc.) with any type of process (SMAW(stick), GMAW(mig), GTAW(tig), Oxyfuel, brazing, etc.) in any position.

Job:
At the moment I am getting ready to start a new job tig welding stainless steel pipe on hydraulic pressure vessels, it will be long hours but lets just say the money is good you work 30 hours of overtime a week:p.

mmmmmmm tig welds:D and yes they are mine.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/muddytaco/tigwelds.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/muddytaco/tigweldscloseup.jpg

xNinja-Dolphinx
04-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Im a Junior in highschool and want to be a.........I realy have no idea, but I realy want to be a Husband and Father, but I don't think thats what you were asking. I have been thinking about becoming a firefighter recently though

xtraking
04-12-2006, 06:20 PM
right now i work at captain james' crab house in the inner harbor in baltimore. I make about 100 bucks a night from 4-11. :) goood money
edit: i bus, and on occasion i wait tables.

vikingshadow
04-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Sure, why not?

40 years old. I teach 5th grade English and reading for the Woodward Public School system. I have a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education with an Endorsement in Early Childhood Education. I'm working on National Board certification right now.

I also have a Bachelor of Science degree in Commercial Art with an Emphasis in Advertising Design. I worked in that field for about 2 years until I realized it's not all people say it is!

Minors in Speech and Drama as well....also a husband and father to two girls.

shunut
04-12-2006, 06:26 PM
27. I'm retired. I have a BA in Nursing. So I'm an RN but I quit the field about 1.5-2 years ago, all my schooling went to waste.

I'm starting to take classes for web developement, graphics and programming. Don't know exactly where thats going because I just started.

durrell
04-12-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm only in high school but right now it's a toss up for me between a computer career and meteorology, I can't decide which I want to go into yet..

ad0131065
04-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Wow, 27 and retired....sounds good to me

anywayz...Im 17, a senior in high school, I currently work at a golf course, but I plan on going to CPCC and study Automotive Mechanics.

DyNasty9
04-12-2006, 06:41 PM
im a freshman in high school and i work at my local paintball feild, reffing and cleaning up. i get a paycheck for like 6$ somethin an hour, its not bad.:p

colonel_moo
04-12-2006, 06:45 PM
im 16... junior in high school. i work at mcdonalds (har har har, laugh it up).

i want to be a computer/electrical engineer.

ooglieboogliebob
04-12-2006, 06:49 PM
hmm... freshman in highschool .. no job yet .. but in a few months i'll just be pushing carts around ;) .. and when i turn 16 i'll most likely start to ref ... hmm.. want to become a computer engineer most likely ..., but school seems to be kickin my butt right now .. don't have any free time anymore ... luckily it's spring break .. but only thursday, friday, and monday off ... :(

Recon by Fire
04-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Those are some good beads there, MuddyTaco. I prefer TIG myself too, but haven't welded in years now. You might want to look into some Commercial Diving for an occupation. There is a lot of it along the Gulfcoast area and Houston has a few good schools too. Good $$$.

I handle hostile shopping cart recoveries for Wal-Mart :)

DRAGON
04-12-2006, 08:23 PM
I have 2 shorty degree's 1 in commercial art and another in technical illustration. 3.85 GPA on both and graduated w/high honors. I started in map illustration and airbrush to development of the Hummer for AM General/LTV then moved into the automobile indrustry for waaaaay too long. Worked in freehand illustration and inking when it was viable and was the ****......I kin draw anything. Engine, electrical, body, natural gas vehicles, electrical hybrid, Roush racing cars, pilot plant electrical & engine verification. Traveled the USA & Canada doing verifications. Had to stumble into CAD illustration and design before I became obsolite. From there into industrial design/CAD graphics and technical writer. Got burned out on all of that and now just a net surf bum lol -

**would someone please find my surf board?** :dodgy:

Drefish99
04-12-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm a Captain of a pirate ship. I tried out for American Idol but I didn't make it and made it on one of those specials that showed all the bad singers. That killed my dreams and my future.

DRAGON
04-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Y'all didn't know that that's actually Dre in his avatar. I think he removed his eye patch just for that photo. Worse thing about a pirate ship is taking a shower(don't pick up teh soap). You notice most of them are dirty pirates -

Elfmaze
04-12-2006, 09:17 PM
those are some nice welds. i tried learning to weld. waisted a perfectly good 3000 dollar tig welder on me. but i'm graduating in a few weeks with my BS in Aeronautics and a minor in Air Traffic Manegement. Hopefully i'm going to keep all the flying cigar tubes from hitting each other.

druid
04-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Department of Corrections...shorty in Criminal Justice...
but I have a Master's in BS and Alumni to I Phelta Thi, class of '69

DFSniper
04-13-2006, 04:20 AM

school: Giessen American Middle/High School (i think they dropped the "American part a few years back...)

job: the occasional babysitting. im trying to get a temporary one over the summer. i have no idea what i want to do in college...or after. maybe start a field or store, but thats a long shot...

03TiburonGT
04-13-2006, 11:25 AM

I want to go into some sort of mechinical engineering, the field is so broad that I know I can find something I really love and that makes a decent amount of $.

big_daddy_d
04-13-2006, 11:37 AM
26, SGT in the greatest Army on Earth
My duty MOS is 91R20 Veterinary Food Inspection SGT (Civilian equivalent being USDA/FDA Compliance Officer, or your local county health inspector), but since last July I've been in a SFC slot being a temporary platoon SGT with 12 Soldiers under me, so their headaches end up being my headaches...

Am getting back into school now to pursue a Food Science Degree and toying with the idea of submitting my Warrant Officer Packet (we'll see how that goes, I like working with Soldiers on a daily basis too much to go warrant and end up behind some desk), guess we'll see what happens from there.

BallerX
04-13-2006, 11:38 AM
No college for me, striaght to the work force after high school. Some VoTech level education in drafting and CAD.

Started off working at a horse farm for $4 an hour cash. Worked all through highschool there till my senior year. Then got a job drafting for a custom fire truck manufacturer, CECO/Taylot Firecab. Moved on to stone crushers and conveyor systems with HB Mellot, short run there, very boring. Got in at York Refrigeration/Frick Co. as a Pressure Vessel Designer. Got hooked up with General Dynamics working telecommunications. Fun job, work was boring, did some traveling for them, good times. All CAD work up till then, some Solidworks. Then got my current job running with ARDI / SNC-IMS doing aircraft modifications. And I love my job.

Nader
04-13-2006, 12:14 PM

"Professional Bum"

Actually I'm going into Aerospace Engineering, and if that doesn't fly (fly, get it? :D) I'll become a private pilot. Hopefully. As of now I am getting Gen Ed Classes ot of the way at the local community college.

Elfmaze
04-13-2006, 01:21 PM
where are you planning on goign to school? sounds like a riddle job to me. i'm graduating from Embry-Riddle in may. BOO Yahh

MatthewTheTheif
04-13-2006, 01:28 PM
im 16, a sophomore in highschool currently working at Target (upscale walmart competitor) i want to be a History Professor after a juant with the army (hopefully Rangers)

ps, xtraking, i went there once over vacation, good food

DexGtr
04-14-2006, 06:36 AM
B.S. Computer Engineering....and a Masters in Wife Annoyance. :D

Voodoo
04-14-2006, 09:46 AM
age 34 and do a little of everything. heavy equipment opperator during the winter and when i am not doing that i do construction and work on aircraft. might be fabbing up racecar parts this summer just for fun and learn a new trade:D always wanted to learn how to really work aluminum:p

ToXiC
04-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Currently in college, First year student, working to get my degree in Mechanical Engineering (with a design Major). Hopefully be done at christmas in the year 2007. Maybe try to get a job at Zap paintballs in their product design department. :D

xtraking
04-14-2006, 10:52 AM
ps, xtraking, i went there once over vacation, good food

thanks :) yeah i loveee the crabcakes! evrything there is great.

BallerX
04-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Ugh.... Embry-Riddle....

We have a lot of graduates from riddle working here. Piolts engineers A&Ps, sheet metal guys... everyone in aviation went riddle or is standing next to someone who did.

alk1979
04-14-2006, 11:27 AM
26 I've been a bridge and highway carpenter for 3 years a laborer before that. No college degree but decent money in trade for hard work.

crimsonguard
04-14-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm a 27 year old, Certified Automotive Technician. Been working on all makes/models of cars for 7 years. I have extensive knowledge of automotive electronics and controllers. It's enjoyable because of something new everyday when in a private shop. I might remove and re-install an engine one day and be into an electrical nightmare the next. Dealerships are usually the same jobs over and over.
I consider myself not to bad of a PC tech as well. I have been computer literate since the age of twelve and have built my own machine. Diagnosed many PC problems in the past both hardware and software. Three months ago I cooked my P4 2.53gig from overclocking it to 3.0gigs with insufficient cooling.It had been overclocked for 6 months. Learning from mistakes can be costly... :D

03TiburonGT
04-14-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm a 27 year old, Certified Automotive Technician. Been working on all makes/models of cars for 7 years. I have extensive knowledge of automotive electronics and controllers. It's enjoyable because of something new everyday when in a private shop. I might remove and re-install an engine one day and be into an electrical nightmare the next. Dealerships are usually the same jobs over and over.

Thats a career I would enjoy, if you don't mind, I'd like to do a little chat/interview about your job. I'll be PMing you shortly

crimsonguard
04-14-2006, 03:14 PM
No problem Tiburon.... The trade is more demanding than people imagine. Frictions, pressure, cooling, basic electronics, advanced electronics, refrigeration, welding and fabrication, and of course mechanics.

paintgirl66
04-14-2006, 06:14 PM
my full time job is being the head breakfast cook and pizza maker for the Mount Vernon Nazerene University, and then i have a part time job as a cook/dishwasher at La Paloma, a locally owned and operated mexican restraunt. this summer i'm going to get my certificate to teach dyslexic kids, and then i'm going to go to school and get my teaching certificate. i want to be a special ed/ learning disorder teacher.

vikingshadow
04-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Cool! I admire Special Ed teachers - they put up with a lot of stuff - even more than us regular teachers!

Hope they warned you though...it may not be the same everywhere, but here in Oklahoma, once you get in Spec. Ed. you can NEVER get out. They won't ever let you teach in a normal classroom because it's so hard to get Spec Ed teachers to stay for long. Also, although you want to teach a certain disorder, a lot of the times, you'll end up with the kids who really aren't Spec Ed, per se, but they are trouble makers and as such have fallen behind. Not really LD, but a lot of the times E.D. Then there's the paperwork involved in NCLB (No Child Left Behind.)

But, seriously, don't let me scare you away from it. It takes a special kind of person to teach Spec. Ed. I know, my classroom is directly across the hall from the two Spec Ed classrooms we have at my school! But also, my wife worked with mentally and physically challenged people in a group situation for a few years. It's a tough job, and you people seem just perfect for helping those children. Good luck and glad to have you in the profession!

~shocktheman~
04-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Well ima 17 and a junior in highschool.
Right now I work at the ACE Hardware right at the end of the street like 50 feet away. If any of you younger guys get a chance to work at a hardware store I'd def take it. You really learn alot about just about everything, and its kinda cool having guys like three times your age asking for your help with their cars or mowers or whatev. I'm interested in contracting and all that building construction sort of stuff. I'm kinda liking carpentry stuff though too. I've just always liked that hands on kinda work. I really hate office/computer work, nothing wrong with those of you who do though. Yet I was thinking on double majoring in business management since litarally every well-off person I've ever know managed or owned his own business.

SniperX
04-15-2006, 11:06 PM
i'm 18, home schooled and I work at Kroger *big grocery store chain* , I also Reff / work at a local paintball store and i also run my own Paintball online store *yes, just like durrel* with my step dad. I'm looking to go into the army when im done with school and i'll get sum college under me and get into law enforcement *or a computer job of sumsort* as i have a job lined up when im 21 to be a michigan state trooper, I also build computers and fix computers and anything related for friends *for small fee's*

DFSniper
04-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Three months ago I cooked my P4 2.53gig from overclocking it to 3.0gigs with insufficient cooling.It had been overclocked for 6 months. Learning from mistakes can be costly... :D
lol, thats a lot to overclock it, and if im not mistaken, Intel pre-overclocks their processors already. im a self-taught pc tech/tinkerer outside of school. right now my friend and i are working on making custom cases.

fishsticks
04-17-2006, 04:28 PM
I recently got into the local electricians union... pay is great, and I actually enjoy what im doing.

mv540
04-17-2006, 05:04 PM
im 17, and im going to study marketing

spydr
04-17-2006, 05:09 PM
I want to be either an engineer,or a lawyer.But more of a corporate lawsuit type of lawyer.I wouldn't be able to defend Ol' John Doe when he decides to take a gun to his girl friends head in "self defense"

crimsonguard
04-17-2006, 06:10 PM
lol, thats a lot to overclock it, and if im not mistaken, Intel pre-overclocks their processors already. im a self-taught pc tech/tinkerer outside of school. right now my friend and i are working on making custom cases.

You are right, it is a lot. P4's are not pre-OC. P4's will also begin an underclocking cycle if it gets too hot. I went well past that threshold. This system should have been water cooled. A new P4 3.2gig HT was only a little bit more and than a water cooling and with the old CPU toasted, I didn't have much choice at that point.
It took me 2 weeks to diagnose the bad CPU. I was unwilling to put it into another motherboard as it may take it out as well. It was the only part I needed and the only part I purchased. The guys at the store told me it couldn't be, that only 5% of CPU's ever fail. Well, they were wrong.
As for case modding.... my machine is DONE. I may half of whats out there to my own PC. UV lights, UV fans, UV cables, custom window, fan controller, changed ALL front red led's to blue, front intake vent. I won't go on about the goodies inside. Not thread topic.

QAZ123
04-18-2006, 08:58 PM
A+ certified
Net+ certified
Lot's of college credit for a information system's degree. Never went into the computer field decided I hate working on them and network's. Going back to school this summer for a criminal justice/social services degree and go from there.

Oh yeah and I've been with the same company since I graduated high school and before then I worked for the owner's other company while in high school. So right now I work for a electrical/plbg/hvac commercial distributor doing inventory control/return's/shipping/receiving/pc support/procedures/supervising.

JB.

paintball 1
04-18-2006, 10:37 PM
ok i,m 51 father of 4. 3 girls and a boy. youngest is 22. i work as a optician. i have both my aboc and my state licence. i've been doing this for 10yrs. did 3yrs in the air force a long time ago. got an early out in 1975. i was a staff car driver. glorified taxi man. it was fun. nam ended thats why i got an early out. i have a disability. got injured on job. retrained to work as an optician.
but i like play paintball. not the best by far just have fun.

thechubbss12
04-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Heh i am currently enrolled in a vocational college to be a Machinist/Airsmith.

But what i do for money now..... i work at a paintball field lol

FredPo
04-19-2006, 06:50 AM
21 years old. Got one year of college left to get my B.S. in psychology. Then, I"m off to Graduate school for a masters/ph.d. in school psychology or counseling, haven't decided yet. As for money right now, I work for a blacktop company doing sales work and I work on the crews and run equiptment, etc.

Fred

newkid
04-25-2006, 06:25 PM
no job yet but plan on working for my neighbors landscaping compay in the summer
dont exactly no what i want to be, but i kinda want to be an electrician

DFSniper
04-26-2006, 01:03 PM
fred, you should get into crimal justice and go work as a counselor in juvie and scare the crap out of the delinquents!