PDA

View Full Version : Retire My Spyder?

Skelator88
04-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Hello everyone!

I've been reading these forums off and on for years and I've been able to find most of my questions answered but I'm a little stumped with the problem I'm having now.

I have an Origional Spyder (yes I know its old) and over the years I have added parts and kept it in great shape. Here is what I have done over the many long years I've had my spyder.

I modded my spyder to be rear cocking, I moved the site rail to the side to cover the hole where the striker knob used to be.
I have a View Loader Expansion chamber and a Taso Low pressure Chamber.
I have also added a Dye double triggerframe and replaced the Metal hose with Micro Line.
I was able to put on a beaver tail and a "newer" velocity adjuster and a drop foward
I got the deluxe spyder upgrade kit that replaced the stock striker spring guide with a metal one and also replaced the Pla Cover with a metal one as well.
I also use a crossfire 3000PSi (sorry I don't know the csi but I can say its a big as a 2 liter soda bottle) I had it hydro tested last week so I'm up to date.

The only thing "origional" left on this origional spyder are the Striker and the valve body and valve pin. 3 years ago my son was born and I thought my paintball days were over. But soon the itchy trigger finger took over and I am dusting off my Goggles and cleaning my gun again. When I went to my local store to get some new O-rings I picked up a new bolt, I got the Shockteck Super Fly long bolt and a 16" Empire Twister Barrel. I replaced all my rings and oiled and cleaned my gun. Now what is happening is that I'm shooting very hot 290-300. I assume its because of the new bolt letting more air thru. Even tho I move the velocity adjuster all the way back there is no effect on the velocity. I did have a spare spring so I cut the spring and was able to get the velocity back down to 270-280.

What I wanted to know is that is this normal for older guns? Could I be at a point where it's just "too old" and it needs to be replaced or am I being a dumb-dumb and missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance.

Elfmaze
04-11-2006, 11:31 AM
from what i understand there have been no changes to the internals in a long while. so i'd say if it stil shoots you're all set. slap an electro trigger on her and let em rip

03TiburonGT
04-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Your spyder sounds great for the age it is. Sounds like an awesome gun to use every now and then, but not an every-weekend kind of gun. Your gun is old, you know that, so the chances of it breaking down are somewhat high.

You velocity problem is most likely due to the higher-flowing..ness of the new bolt. I would invest in a 32* Spring kit so you don't have to clip your springs anymore, thats a risky business.

Welcome to the forums, feel free to ask anything and we'll do our best to help you out. Enjoy your stay!

tex
04-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Keep the oldy but goodie. Get a spring kit for a spyder and change the springs dont cut them. As far as an electro trigger, that's up to you. If you haven't needed up till now there is no reason for it. Is that bolt delrin?? If it is dont oil it. I would feel confident in using it as often as you want. If you get bored you could change the o-rings on the valve and as long as the pin isnt bent or anything it will be fine. If its not broken dont fix it.

aodsnyper
04-11-2006, 09:06 PM
welcome to the boards (kind of...)!

keep rockin' the Spyder Original! if it works, use it. if it doesn't work, fix it... there is nothing you "need" to do to it if you don't want to. i just used mine last weekend and lent out the $8 Spyder Compact-A i just bougt and both worked flawlessly.

as for "is this normal with older guns", it's normal for almost every gun. the ST Super Fly bolt is higher flowing than the stock Kingman bolt, and the new spring from your upgrade kit is more than likely stiffer than your awfully used old one that you replaced, therefore you have higher velocities when shooting over the chrono.

if you are shooting where you need to be, 280 fps, or what ever you use, then you will be fine.

come back anytime if you need some advice or assistance!

Justin

on a side note, if you decide you want an electronic trigger, post first and i will give you the run down on some issues that might occur with using a "fatty" (old style) striker and the in's-and-out's on what you might need to do to fix it.

Skelator88
04-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I did order a new spring kit and the spyder shim kit from action village to see if that helps. I'm still on the fence about E-triggers, so far I haven't felt the "need" to get one.

Hob Hayward
04-12-2006, 01:21 PM
There really is no need to get one the sole advantage that I use it for is the ease of trigger pull. I use liek the e-grip because it gives the ability to put as many or as few shots as fast as you need wherever you need 'em. As for your gun keeping up, the only difference with new spyders is that they have a "slim" striker and they have front block's with grips, but thats about it. Yours will keep up with whatever there is for blowbakc, because the technology has barely changed...

I'm gonna buy a Bob Long millenium body pretty soon from AOD_Snyper and build it up to simply be a single trigger mech gun. Its the same theing basically, fatty striker spyder clone.

agressor07
04-20-2006, 09:18 AM
yeah if your gun is still working that good then keep rockin it at paintball tournaments

ooglieboogliebob
04-20-2006, 02:32 PM
... well you would probably also want to get a reg for your gun, and drill your VA as well as polish your internals ... the reg'll allow you to set your psi level .. which'll allow you to change your FPS ... and the drilled VA will allow you to have higher flow, and the polished internals'll allow you to have cleaner operation ... all of this stuff is located at
www.ottersccustoms.com ... That place has everything :) !!!

Skelator88
04-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Cool Stuff over there. Well I'm off to play this weekend. It calls for rain but I'm not worried. I'll let everyone know how thins went.

Skelator88
04-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Well thanks to everyone with their suggestions and calming of my nerves. My gun chronoed at 270-275, and for the rest of the day worked awsome!! I only had 2 breaks with the new bolt all day. :D I even got the flag once.

I guess I'll hunt around looking for spare parts so I can keep the gun in working condition.

Thanks again Everyone.

miketupper
06-22-2006, 11:43 AM
hi