PDA

View Full Version : barrel materials questions

Cobalt60
04-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Its generally accepted that the slicker the barrel material is against a paintball, the more accurate the barrel is. I know steel is slicker than aluminum, and brass slicker than steel, but what about other materials such as carbon fiber, ceramic, and titanium?

thechubbss12
04-11-2006, 04:55 AM
Personaly they are all micronned meaning they are sorta like cut, annoed then polished to perfection (correct me if im wrong). This actuly prevent much friction..... So i realy dont think is makes a diffrence the material, but i may be wrong...

Cobalt60
04-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Well, I think the idea is that certain materials can be polished more perfectly than others. Aluminum can only possibly get so smooth, while steel can get smoother, etc. According to Palmer's Pursuit Shop, brass is the slickest possible material for use as a paintball barrel. Unfortunately, its heavier than stainless steel, and is not durable at all. It needs to be re-honed quite often.

*EM1-Master*
04-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Palmer wrote his stuff before today's manufacturing processes... Nowadays, many barrels are impregnated with teflon or other low-friction materials... It's now less about the polish and more about the finish...

Cobalt60
04-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Id still like to know what the slickest possible setup would be. I assume the only barrels with teflon coatings are aluminum barrels. What about impregnating other materials with teflon, any difference there? What about teflon compared to other materials? Carbon fiber has especially interested me since the barrel does not expand or contract according to temperature.

OtterSC
04-11-2006, 11:51 AM
stainless is very slick. aluminum is a softer metal. though, if you can hone and keep super clean, brass is the best.

Cobalt60
04-11-2006, 01:53 PM
I think I prefer stainless to brass for its durability. But how do these 2 metals compare to teflon, titanium, ceramic, and carbon fiber?

Hippie Magic
04-11-2006, 04:29 PM
If I am not mistaken the ceramic barrel isn't ceramic only ceramic finished, teflon injected. Carbon Fiber is supposed to be the most consistant barrel and most people swear by the stiffi. I am really thinking about getting one soon but if I do that it will probably be for my cocker rather than my spyder because I am currently happy with my J&J ceramic on the electra.