PDA

View Full Version : Paintball on ESPN reminder

shunut
04-10-2006, 05:20 AM
Just a reminder to everyone that tonight ESPN's Paintball Series starts. Comes on at 7:00pm on my TV on ESPN 2. My TiVo is set, is yours?

Drefish99
04-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Everyone that can please watch. This will ensure more paintball on TV. After email ESPN and tell them you want to see more paintball on their site - http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv

taurinic
04-10-2006, 07:29 AM
what will i do without this forum?

SniperX
04-10-2006, 07:49 AM
~puts on his foam finger and beer hat*filled with dew* and sits down in his lazy boy with a bowl of popcorn and sum peanuts beside him, as he would now lift up the remote and change it to ESPN 2 and waits~

DyNasty9
04-10-2006, 08:37 AM
ahh it shall be a good night tonight. cant wait.

thechubbss12
04-10-2006, 08:37 AM
Whew rocking the ghetto non cabeled tv..... unfortunatly i will not be able to watch it but maybe i can get someone to record it =)....

taurinic
04-10-2006, 09:00 AM
its 10 pm eastern time for me.

chubb0rz
04-10-2006, 09:12 AM
wow it says 12 - 1 o'clock online for me and i am eastern time...i thought it was on at 10/11...hm

marvin-martian
04-10-2006, 10:54 AM
ya, its on at 10:00 est

NB_Hacker_NB
04-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Chubbs ill record it for you and try to send it to you if I can get it on my computer. Oh and chubbs get on AIM.

shunut
04-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Its on twice tonight for me, 7pm and 9pm. :grin:

claustrophobia9
04-10-2006, 12:27 PM
10 est... what a rip off... but thanx for reminding me... id have forgotten.

TheRedBarron
04-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Those of you on the east coast should mention in your email that you would like to see it take over a primetime slot, if they get enough emails saying that then chances are they will do it for the ratings.

SniperX
04-10-2006, 04:13 PM
10pm!!! wha! why!!!?? ;.; r they stupid!? omg! *throws tv through a bigger tv*

Angel69
04-10-2006, 05:16 PM
is dat 10 pm central time im dumb lol :p

Santy
04-10-2006, 05:55 PM
wow, thanx for the reminder, i have 5 min till it starts

TacTownKilla
04-10-2006, 06:30 PM
10pm!!! wha! why!!!?? ;.; r they stupid!? omg! *throws tv through a bigger tv*

Past your bedtime? lol

FredPo
04-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Welp, 10 minutes left and I must say that this was the best presented paintball show I've ever seen on tv. Commentary and diagrams showing who was left, who was laning where, etc. I think I enjoyed this show better than any other pb show. Well done espn2.

Fred

vikingshadow
04-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Man, not bad - not bad at all! Much better than that 3 man UAPL thing...I especially like the colored "targets" they use to indicate where the players are.

XSV and Joy = good match up! Dynasty and Evil = bad! LOL!

Others were pretty decent as well....

Anyone catch the the introduction when the announcer said the guns were shooting at 50 bps????? Whoopsi! Someone exagerated a bit!

*EM1-Master*
04-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Best production to date... And Rich Telford is a funny funny man... :D

SniperX
04-10-2006, 07:02 PM
great show! ESPN did a great job! cant wait for the next show :D

Drefish99
04-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Bonus balling, Wiping, Playing on, Even a cheap shot from the dead box. Did I miss anything? If Paintball wants to go professional and want to be considered a real "Sport" it really needs to get cleaned up. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it. I loved all the coverage. Yes there was way too many commercials but overall some of this negative coverage needs to be stopped if we want tournament paintball to move forward.

taurinic
04-10-2006, 07:04 PM
when he said 50 rounds, i was like wtf?! i really like the color targets, i'd like to see more spycams on the players. :up:

DyNasty9
04-10-2006, 07:04 PM
Best production to date... And Rich Telford is a funny funny man... :D
ya that was deffinatly awsome. Telford was really funny.

anyone else notice that when ollie had the head cam pn that his hopper was in the way.:confused: i didnt like that. but overall it was the best pb show ive seen on tv.:cool:

Bonus balling, Wiping, Playing on, Even a cheap shot from the dead box. Did I miss anything? If Paintball wants to go professional and want to be considered a real "Sport" it really needs to get cleaned up. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it. I loved all the coverage. Yes there was way too many commercials but overall some of this negative coverage needs to be stopped if we want tournament paintball to move forward.
but its all part of the game, and people like that stuff. look at hockey people love it when theirs a fight or unagreement. makes for good tv. but im not promoting any of that cheating and that cheap shot.

SniperX
04-10-2006, 07:05 PM
i'd like to see more spycams on the players. :up:

bow chica bow wow

vikingshadow
04-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Yeah, that's something that's going to have to be considered. I especially liked it when the play by play guy told the audience, "If you get hit, act like you didn't and maybe the ref won't check you." Um, sure, we've all probably said that, either to ourselves or to our teammates, but I'm not so sure that's something we want the public to hear....at least they managed to bleep the "F" bombs from Dynasty....didn't hear a single one dropped. You know Ollie dropped a few in there somewhere!

I do have to say the action was really pretty good (with the exception of the Dynasty game which I thought was pretty boring - it was a blow out, but the rest of the games were really fun to watch) with really good camera angles and the refs worked their tails off! My opinion, it blew PB2X out of the water, and the aforementioned UAPL - puhlease....not EVEN close.

NB_Hacker_NB
04-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Man, not bad - not bad at all! Much better than that 3 man UAPL thing...I especially like the colored "targets" they use to indicate where the players are.

XSV and Joy = good match up! Dynasty and Evil = bad! LOL!

Others were pretty decent as well....

Anyone catch the the introduction when the announcer said the guns were shooting at 50 bps????? Whoopsi! Someone exagerated a bit!

The guy said 15 BPS that I could hear. N E way, my email to ESPN2 was like 6 paragraphs long. If they dont continue this, that will be a very huge loss in their viewers. That was great though, that was the first time i'd ever saw a 3 for 1 on TV.

TacTownKilla
04-10-2006, 07:18 PM
....at least they managed to bleep the "F" bombs from Dynasty....didn't hear a single one dropped. You know Ollie dropped a few in there somewhere!

Ollie dont play for dynasty anymore bro it was only like the biggest player move in paintball history... Do you live in a cave?

Drefish99
04-10-2006, 07:21 PM
But that was filmed last year when Ollie was still in the Blue.

durrell
04-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I really liked the overhead cams with the player indicators, it was nice knowing how many were left. I liked the scoreboard at the top showing who was winning, overall definitely the best production yet in my opinion.

lewizz124
04-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Ollie dont play for dynasty anymore bro it was only like the biggest player move in paintball history... Do you live in a cave?
this was video of the 05 season tho... and that was ollie wearing the head cam... Do YOU live in a cave?

so yeah i thought it was pretty awsome tho, i liked the targets and the little graphics showin where ppl were shootin, the camera angles were really nice too. i <3 ESPN now.

vikingshadow
04-11-2006, 03:46 AM
The guy said 15 BPS that I could hear.

Pretty sure he said 50, even my wife thought she heard it and I believe someone else posted on this thread the same thing. If he said 15, my mistake. I was reading at the time, but I'm pretty sure it was 50.

Um, duh! Like I wouldn't know anything about this....come on. I know he plays for another team now. Did you watch the show at all? He was with Dynasty last year and since this was footage from last year, Ollie was with Dynasty last night. No cave for me, how bout you?

Geesh, anyone else wanna say something about one of my posts??????

On topic - good show last night. Again. I got to thinking I really liked how they showed the animated paintballs showing angles players had. The whole thing was very professionally done, I think. I'd definitely watch it again...

BallerX
04-11-2006, 04:52 AM
By far... the BEST showing of paintball I have ever seen. The top down angles, player and lane shooting indicators, just awesome. Very well done. I like the "sponsored by Vault" too. I'm interested in knowing to what level Coca-Cola was involved in sponsoring the show, or if they just sponsored that hour of ESPN2.

I thought X-Ball was going to have the best and most TV coverage? I think NPPL did a hell of a job. I don't even care about all the "deadbox" "head blown off" references. Hell, I don't even care about the cheating. I do like the detail of the coverage when they caught the guy wiping and his team lost the match for it.

Cheating is very real part of our sport and I think the sooner we get used to it, the better we're going to be. I don't know how many times I've been watching a hockey match and saw someone get triped or a check away from the puck go right past the refs. Or even worse, someone take a dive in order to draw a penalty on a clean steal or hit. Cheating is rampant in our sport, and it's rampant in others too. If we can keep it to only over shooting, wiping, and an occasional cheap shot, I don't see the big deal.

Anyway - I digress. Great show last night, and ESPN deserves a lot of great e-mails.

Drefish99
04-11-2006, 05:34 AM
I apologize but I totally disagree with you. I know that cheating is part of our sport but by far are we supposed to just get used to it. Yes it is in other sports but last nights coverage just seemed to enhance the cheating side of the sport. Matty Marshalls comment “ Sometimes you get shot and just play on and pretend you didn’t get shot and hope the ref doesn’t see..” Imagine if this was said by a baseball player and using a Corked bat… We are in the beginning stages of televised tournament paintball. How far do you think all of our other sports could progress if they first started and had these types of topics in the media???

Drefish99
04-11-2006, 06:29 AM
Don't forget to shoot off some positive email. This will ensure to let ESPN know that we watched and support their efforts to televise the sport.

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv

Direct Email: askespntv@espn.twdc.com

Please try and be mature and use word to correct spelling and grammatical errors.

BallerX
04-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Oh you're right - Marshalls comment was just flat out inappropriate. I don't think we should be "teahing" cheating. I think Marshall should have condemed the act at the momment, I liked wtching the ref running and pulling three players to end the match - resulting in a loss for the cheating team.

I would love for thier to be no cheating in paintball or any other sport. I mean havent we all yelled out "How many times do I have to hit you before you go out"? Cheating is annoying and I hate it, but it's the reality of our sport. Marshall's comment should really drive that home too, here's a proffesional level player, baisically saying it sucks that he got caught. Not that he shouldn't have done it at all.

Comparing paintball to something like baseball or football is totally inappropriate. We don't play in anywhere near the same enviorment. Football is very staged and the rules are rigid, all the several officials can be watching every bit of action on one play. Same with baseball, you have very set boundaries and motions that the action always goes through.

Paintball just isnt that way. There's so much paint flying and so many people moving in different directions at once, that it's amazing the games are as honest as they are. The officals do an excellent job trying to keep up with action and pulling players as soon as possible, but it's tough. You can't clog the field with more and more refs, because then you interfere with the action too much. All this opens up plenty of oppurtunity to cheat. And it's tempting to do it too, especially when you just know you nailed that guy and he wiped, then you take a small shot on the hand... it's easy to be tempted.

I agree that I'd like to see cheating wiped out, but I just don't think we have a format yet that we can do that. I like seeing the rules for cheating enforced as they were, and the refs doing the best job they can.

AND - yes, do send off the positive feedback. I sent mine in this morning, I do hope to see more paintball presented like this!

marvin-martian
04-11-2006, 08:15 AM
i agree with everything you said baller, but i noticed a nice pun in your speech

...I agree that I'd like to see cheating wiped out...

did you do that on purpose?

~shocktheman~
04-11-2006, 08:21 AM
So you guys think they'll be selling a DVD of this? It really sucks for us who don't have cable, satellite, and all that.

BallerX
04-11-2006, 10:28 AM
i agree with everything you said baller, but i noticed a nice pun in your speech

did you do that on purpose?

Hahahahaha.... actually no... I didn't... Kinda funny though...

Tk-421
04-11-2006, 10:33 AM
They are going to be showing it throughout the week..its on again Friday the 14th at 1-2 am central, just goto http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide its also on sometime during saturday I believe..just go and check out your local listings..I wasnt able to watch it monday but now I have another couple of chances to see it..it would be really cool if they did make a DVD of this...I just sort of thought this would be helpfull for those who missed out on monday nights show

claustrophobia9
04-11-2006, 12:04 PM
i liked espns xball coverage better. i think this was very good and i dont recall the fox one but it was very comparable if not better... plus i liked how they slowed it down for replays on the cheats so you could see it. especailly the guy who was out and opened up on the other guy who had finished a run through. i would have never seen that. the overhead could be closer or more focused... but i think the old one where they had like box showing the overhead and a miniature of a few guys playing every once and awhile show up. very good ill let espn know. also i would have liked it on espn 1 so i could see it in hd.

btw is this weekly i forget? if so is it same time next week?

BallerX
04-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Should be every Monday for the next 8. Same time.

emf7301
04-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Does anyone have espn2 hd? i am just curious if they did make the show in HD. If they did, then i will probably upgrade my satellite to be able to use HD since i already have an hd tv. I highly doubt it but it's nice to hope.

O yea, that was nice how i believe his name was Casey for the Canes won the 2 on 1 battle.

TacTownKilla
04-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Um, duh! Like I wouldn't know anything about this....come on. I know he plays for another team now. Did you watch the show at all? He was with Dynasty last year and since this was footage from last year, Ollie was with Dynasty last night. No cave for me, how bout you?

My fault i posted with out watchin the first half. After watchin the nine oclock show i feel stupid. So sorry my bad vik.

lewizz124
04-11-2006, 08:21 PM
O yea, that was nice how i believe his name was Casey for the Canes won the 2 on 1 battle.
that was a naughty dog who won the 2 on 1

vikingshadow
04-12-2006, 03:57 AM
My fault i posted with out watchin the first half. After watchin the nine oclock show i feel stupid. So sorry my bad vik.

Hahaha! Kind of figured. It's all good!

DragonSlayer
04-12-2006, 05:12 AM
now if we can just make it to the X games

BallerX
04-12-2006, 05:21 AM
Problem there is how do you film a paintball event for live coverage. This ESPN series was so well done because they had the time to do it. I think you would be hard pressed to pull that off with a live event like the X Games.

shunut
04-12-2006, 05:28 AM
[QUOTE=vikingshadow]Pretty sure he said 50, even my wife thought she heard it and I believe someone else posted on this thread the same thing. If he said 15, my mistake. I was reading at the time, but I'm pretty sure it was 50.[QUOTE]

To set the record straight, he said 15. If you go back and watch it again with closed caption on you'll see that he said 15.

I thought they did a great job. Much easier to follow than UAPL. What was up with Ollie's head cam though. ESPN doesn't have anything smaller?

TheRedBarron
04-12-2006, 08:55 AM
That would drive me crazy to have to wear that huge thing during a game, Oliie did mention that he would like to see somthing smaller so maybe they will oblige to thy kings commands.

NB_Hacker_NB
04-12-2006, 12:30 PM
What was up with Ollie's head cam though. ESPN doesn't have anything smaller?

I was amazed the NPPL let him wear something that big, or that HE would even want to.

Drefish99
04-12-2006, 01:03 PM
A response from ESPN from all the mail that they got from us and our fellow ballers of PBN. I guess the Email letter writing has really had a major response to the production executives of ESPN.

First of all, thank you guys so much for all of your awesome support in spreading the word about episode #1 and contacting ESPN.

I have now heard back from the production company regarding the ratings and ESPN's response... here is exactly what his email read:

"Heard .44 from ESPN- they are thrilled... the feedback from your guys blew them away- we need it to continue next week so they will be convinced we have a hit."

So once again I am going to ask you to keep this insane level of support up for Episode #2. The production company actually visited PBNation and was blown away by your posts. You have proven that paintball is a sport and a lifestyle. You have shown corporate America that you are brand-loyal and will always support those who support the sport.

Thank you again for all of your time and extra efforts - you have made all of us at the NPPL very proud! Let’s now work to make sure we keep that momentum up and better than ever!!

shunut
04-12-2006, 01:34 PM
I'll write a letter everyweek for however long we have to. Dre is the word getting around PBN to write letters to ESPN? I'm going to post something on EgoOwners and get everyone on there to write letters.

edited: NVM on the "Dre is the word getting around PBN to write letters to ESPN?", I missed the first line of your post some how.

BallerX
04-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Schweet. Thats what I like to see. So another e-mail after each show? Easy. I'll keep righting so long as the show keeps being good.

shunut
04-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Dre I hope you don't mind but I put that response from ESPN up on ego owners.

Drefish99
04-13-2006, 12:01 PM
No problem. Spread it all over the PB communities. We need to drive this together as a force.

shunut
04-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Alright, I posted that on 3 other websites as well, hopefully we'll see a good response and even better next week. IMO if we have a better response next week and a bigger view audience ESPN will be more apt to start a new series and do more shows after this series is done. So maybe we will see primetime slots and even live events.

marvin-martian
04-13-2006, 04:56 PM
live events would be hard to do...

leed
04-14-2006, 02:36 PM
It was on again today around 5 or 5.30 EST XSV was playing Joy Division for the part I saw (I'm in Atlanta, w00t, free cable!) and XSV won. I didn't see much cheating in this one, so who knows. I don't know what was on before it though.

NB_Hacker_NB
04-14-2006, 08:55 PM
whens the next one?

BallerX
04-18-2006, 04:31 AM
Another swet episode last night. This coverage is just excellent in my opinion. And also - I don't think Matty Marshal could have been any more uncomfortable on the "explaining a paintball marker" segment....

shunut
04-18-2006, 05:26 AM
Yup, it was another good episode. I'm going to go write espn right now.

bamf-hacker
04-18-2006, 06:16 AM
DVR'd it cant wait to watch it tonight!!!!

HacKeR

shunut
04-24-2006, 05:20 AM
Its Monday again. Everyone have there VCR or TiVo set to record or a reminder alarm set on their phone? I do. And don't forget after you watch it drop ESPN a line, the link to their form is on the first page of this thread.

claustrophobia9
04-24-2006, 11:48 AM
isnt one filmed live? which one?

chubb0rz
04-24-2006, 11:57 AM
isnt one filmed live? which one?
would be hard seeing Commanders cup was last year...

taurinic
04-24-2006, 12:47 PM
meh, that guy always say "greedy on the shots", its a little bit annoying IMO...

bamf-hacker
04-25-2006, 06:00 AM
Well another great show!!!

Oh and remember don't use red paintballs so you can tell if you are injured :)

ESPN has been notified again!

HacKeR

marvin-martian
04-25-2006, 07:18 AM
i missed this one. i saw the first 2 XSV and Tiger games, but i got kicked off the TV.

bigred76
04-25-2006, 07:37 AM
I managed to see the first 2 ones, and WOW is all I can say. The only thing they possibly need to change is the commentators. Only one of them actually seemed to know wtf he's talking about and the other two just sat there making random comments. Not that it isn't bad; it brings up questions that newer players to the sport might have, or random people watching paintball for the first time.

vikingshadow
04-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Grrrrrr....I feel asleep during the episode - before the first game was over....missed the whole blessed thing!

Tk-421
04-25-2006, 10:08 AM
lol...well my vcr screwed up and didnt record,it while i was at work...but there will be a replay of it on thursday i believe so i can record it then

Nader
04-25-2006, 10:11 AM
all this sure makes me wish I had cable. Maybe my friend will tape it for me...

chubb0rz
04-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Yea reruns are on saturday at 12am and sometime sunday i forget the time.