PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with my DSL Router?

TheTownIdiot
04-09-2006, 11:45 PM
well... I just hooked up a computer in my bedroom and im having a little trouble getting my DSL to work. I bought a Linksys cable/DSL router for it and im having trouble with the installation. When i start the install wizard, it tells me to make sure im connected to the modem, and i can access the internet. I do that, and then i get on my dialup. after i start the istall the first thing it does is checks my internet connection, but then it tells me im not connected to the internet and to check the connection. keep in mind i am connected through my dialup. i cannot install it when it tells me im not connected to the internet. anyone know whats going on and how to fix it?

SniperX
04-10-2006, 07:53 AM
did your router come with any installaton CD's? Linksys usully has a CD and pop that in and follow the instructions

vikingshadow
04-10-2006, 08:12 AM
Every time I used Linksys before, I ended up calling their customer service department and they'd set me up. Best customer service ever! That's what I would do.

crimsonguard
04-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Something ain't right there.... You can't have both dial-up and a lan based internet connection both running at the same time. I would definetly have either linksys or your ISP walk you through it.

durrell
04-10-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm a bit confused. Do you have a DSL based connection yet? Or are you trying to run a network on dialup? If you don't have your DSL connected yet, I'd suggest doing that before you setup the network.

chubb0rz
04-10-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm a bit confused. Do you have a DSL based connection yet? Or are you trying to run a network on dialup? If you don't have your DSL connected yet, I'd suggest doing that before you setup the network.

From what i'm reading he is wanting to share his dial up connection over the Router. Doesnt sound like he has DSL Internet.

Your gonna have to go into your network properties and make sure you are sharing your connection on the computer dialed out.

With a few more specifics i could help better...(ie OS, computer setups)

durrell
04-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I couldn't figure out if that's what he's talking about. With sharing the dialup connection, it's a bit more complicated than plug-and-play like the DSL router would be. I'd suggest calling Linksys or your ISP..

TheTownIdiot
04-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Ok. i have DSL already. when i put in the install disk it tells me to make sure i can access the internet. but i dont think i need to be on the dsl for the setup bacause im not supposed to connect the router when im doing the installation. im just going to call customer support.

TheTownIdiot
04-10-2006, 10:55 AM
ok, i figured out the problem. i still isnt working, but i figured it out.

*EM1-Master*
04-10-2006, 11:13 AM
I've never run a setup CD for a Linksys router... Ever... In the 5+ I've set up...

Go into Internet Explorer or whatever browser you use...
Type into the address bar: http://192.168.1.1
It will ask you for:
Username: admin
Password: <blank> or admin

That will bring you to the initial setup page.
Under Internet Connection Type, select PPPoE.
Put in your DSL account information.
Depending on your router, this option may be here or somewhere else, but if it's right there, select Keep Alive: Redial Period <30> Sec.

That should have everything good with your DSL connection on the router.

Look further down.
Make sure DHCP is enabled.
Start IP Address should be 192.168.1.100
Leave everything else alone.

Go down to the bottom and click Save Settings.

Now, if you haven't already, plug the ethernet cable into the router and your computer.
Go to Start menu.
Click on Run.
Type command and hit enter.

A black window should pop up. This is the command prompt.

Type ipconfig -release
Wait a few seconds until it seems like it's done doing it's stuff...
Type ipconfig -renew

Try to get on the internet...

Try all this, then let us know if it doesn't work...

durrell
04-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Try that, and if it doesn't take you to the setup page then you can always check your Default Gateway in ipconfig/all and if it is different than 192.168.1.1 then you need to type that number into your Internet Explorer. For example, mine is 192.168.2.1, so I would type 192.168.2.1 into IE and then admin and admin for Username/Pass and then change the settings.

*EM1-Master*
04-10-2006, 01:23 PM
All Linksys is 192.168.1.x ;)

durrell
04-10-2006, 01:33 PM
All Linksys is 192.168.1.x ;)

Except mine..lol ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/Durrell12/linksys2.jpg

*EM1-Master*
04-10-2006, 01:45 PM
:eek: :noway: Your linksys is QUEEEEEEERRRR!!!

WTF m8... Model?

durrell
04-10-2006, 01:46 PM
:eek: :noway: Your linksys is QUEEEEEEERRRR!!!

WTF m8... Model?

I know, it's rediculous. The firmware is from 2002, but our new router won't work with our ISP for some reason..so we're stuck on the old one..

*EM1-Master*
04-10-2006, 01:54 PM
DSL or cable, D?

durrell
04-10-2006, 01:57 PM
BellSouth FastAccess DSL

*EM1-Master*
04-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Same here... That's rather bizarre that your new router is evil like that... With cable, you sometimes have to steal a MAC address from one of your computers and clone it to the router for it to work... Stupid cable internet providers trying to make you use their networking solutions ;)

But yeah... That's rather strange... What brand is the newer router?

durrell
04-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Same here... That's rather bizarre that your new router is evil like that... With cable, you sometimes have to steal a MAC address from one of your computers and clone it to the router for it to work... Stupid cable internet providers trying to make you use their networking solutions ;)

But yeah... That's rather strange... What brand is the newer router?

Dre tried to help me with that and I could do it if the computer would recognize the router and get into the Setup, but I can't get it to. The router I'm on at the moment is an older Linksys B router, the new one is a wireless-G router..not sure of the model #'s off the top of my head.

*EM1-Master*
04-10-2006, 02:37 PM
They're on the face of the router ;)

That's weird that you can't even access the setup... Did you try an ipconfig -release/-renew before you tried to access setup? And did you try 192.168.1.1 rather than 2.1? Meh... I suppose that if the old one's working for you, it doesn't really matter, but yeah... If you're using it strictly as a router and not for file sharing, you won't see a real performance difference between 802.11g and 802.11b, as the bandwidth is higher than your internet connection...

But wait... Were you trying to set up your computer wired to the router or wireless?

durrell
04-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Wired at first, tried both though. I tried all the /release, /renew, NetSet configuration programs and all pretty much, and I was using stock Linksys settings on the new router so yeah it was 192.168.1.1.

*EM1-Master*
04-10-2006, 04:35 PM
:crazy: That's strange... Meh... But what I said earlier still goes... If it ain't broken, don't fix it...

TheTownIdiot
04-10-2006, 09:05 PM
eh. i have DSL on the comp im on right now. i tried to tell my dad i didnt need a router to have it on the other one and he didnt believe that you need a DSL modem instead. he said i was wrong and went out and bought a router so i was just lie, eh whatever, i guess i need a router. then he called support and they told him we need a modem instead, so the router is going back and hes buying the modem tommorow.

durrell
04-11-2006, 06:53 AM
Wait, you need the router to run DSL on 2 computers if you already have one DSL modem...