PDA

View Full Version : ROTC anyone?

Live2Play
04-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Alright, lately, for the past couple months, I've been trying to figure out what field I want to get into. During this time, I've also been thinking about doing some sort of ROTC program at whatever college I end up going to. (Either the army or marines, not sure which yet). I need some input from people who have taken any kind of ROTC programs, or know someone who has, or those of you who have done any kind of military service. I dont really know if the Army is what I want to do, but I've definitely been thinking about it for awhile now, and during which, I've managed to worry my mom a little too. Everybody I know isn't into the whole military idea, but it appeals to me. Any help that anyone could give me would be great. Thanks.

timbertiger20
04-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Umm......well I recommend the Air Force ROTC........It's a little more laid back! It is still a great experience. If your intrested in the Army it is very similar. They also have the Ranger division if you perfer the more regimented hard core everyday training experience!

DRAGON
04-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I think one of the greatest advantages of the pre-service ROTC program is(me tinks this is the way it works), whatever rank you acquire while in the ROTC, you retain once you actually join the armed services. Rather than starting out a usless grunt, you start out as a ranking service member -

big_daddy_d
04-09-2006, 10:38 PM
I think one of the greatest advantages of the pre-service ROTC program is(me tinks this is the way it works), whatever rank you acquire while in the ROTC, you retain once you actually join the armed services. Rather than starting out a usless grunt, you start out as a ranking service member -
Depending on how many years you did ROTC during high school is what is going to dictate what rank you come in. If you did 3 years you will come in as a PFC or E-3. Still pretty much the low end of the totem pole. If you have any questions just PM me, I'm still in the Army now, 7 long years later...

scrappy
04-09-2006, 11:48 PM
I did AFROTC for a year. It was a very good experience, but it took up too much time for me. The way it went here at UofIL was that AFROTC had the most people of all the ROTC programs, women and men, but it was by and far engineering majors. No offense intended, but AF was considered the smart ROTC, but that traded off for a less tough program. Naval was a pretty balanced program and Army was opposite AF. When people dropped AF and wanted to stay in a ROTC program, most could still go to Army. Unfortunately, it's stereotypical.

Also, you can't go in as Marine ROTC. For two years, you are a midshipman with Marine option in Naval ROTC, then if you get high enough marks in school and the battalion, you might get sent for Marine officer training. That's the way it was told to me by someone in the program, but I may be mistaken. Anyone that could confirm that?

ROTC is great for the scholarship money that's available as well as the training that you receive. Even a little time in ROTC can help in getting a job if you don't stick out the entire program. One of my regrets is not being able to finish out, but it was about a 20 hr/week job to be considered an "exceptional" cadet (in a non-technical major) that would even be considered for pilot/EWO training.

timbertiger20
04-10-2006, 06:59 PM
OK to clarify a couple things, we're talking ROTC not JROTC. There two different things. I believe the Army is the same way but I'm not positive. AFROTC starts you Freshman year. For the first two years you take classes, PT was two times a week for us before classes started. You also had some flight obligations. You can receive you uniform and hold some positions. Between you Sophmore and Junior years during the Summer you attend Basic Training for Officers. Upon succsefully completing Basic.......you become a
2nd Lt. commisioned as a reserve. You can attain many ranks as an Officer in the Wing, however they do not give you any more rank outside of the program. You are selected for Pilot/Nav or an other field through testing and ranking in Basic. And just to echo Scrappy, most of us were engineer's but not all. The important part is that you get a degree. Some of you may remember Scott O'Grady who got shot down in Desert Storm. He was an English Major or something odd! Just did well in AFROTC. Pretty much everyone makes Lt. within a year or two.......unless you really screw up. Capt. in 3-4 years. You become active duty as soon as you graduate. There is also alot of benefits including money paid to you well your in school as a commissioned officer.

Live2Play
04-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Wow, thanks guys for the replies!:D
Yeah, Big D, I got some questions, i'll pm them to ya lol

DFSniper
04-13-2006, 03:14 AM
im in my 2nd year of AJROTC (C/1LT already), so weve had a few people come and talk to us about it in college. two of my friends graduated last year (the batallion commander and command sergeant major) and both went into...crap, its not coming to me...something to do with computers, which is supposed to be the least-hazardous MOS. personally i would go do AFROTC since the airforce has better pay and takes care of their people better (just ask Albert Jackson if he's ever around). one of your options when you do go to college, at least in army ROTC is to sign up with the reserves, so you get paid for being in the reserves as well as ROTC, but if they get deployed, you dont have to go with them since ROTC takes priority. theres a lot of different options out there.