PDA

View Full Version : More tornadic weather

NB_Hacker_NB
04-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Important Message
Tornado watch 171 in effect until 5 AM edt Saturday.
Now through 01:15 AM EDT April 08, 2006
National weather service Doppler radar indicated showers and thunderstorms from 8 miles northwest of Trenton to Menlo...moving east at 45 mph. These showers and thunderstorms will affect areas in and near Rising Fawn...Menlo...cloudland...Trenton...New England... Lyerly...cloudland state Park...Cedar Grove...berryton...Wildwood... Trion...Summerville(My city)...subligna...James h. Floyd state Park and hinkles through 115 AM edt. Gusty winds...near 50 mph and small hail are likely with these storms.
Rest Of Tonight
Showers with a chance of thunderstorms...then showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Some thunderstorms may be severe. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 10 to 15 mph and gusty decreasing to up to 10 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 90 percent.
Saturday
Showers with a chance of thunderstorms...then showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Some thunderstorms may be severe. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 10 to 15 mph and gusty decreasing to up to 10 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 90 percent.

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WATCH UNTIL 5:00AM EDT
Issue Time: 12:04 AM EDT Saturday Apr 8 2006
Valid Until: 5:00 AM EDT Saturday Apr 8 2006

Its now 12:48 AM I have seen no rain today or yesterday. I dont know whats going on because theres a 90% chance of rain and none has came.

I was wondering if some of you in Tennessee and parts of Alabama know what this storm is like?
There have been school closings all around me for this. Im hoping you'll all think of this storm and hope it blows through. It will wipe out many things if a tornado touches down, this is a highly populated area.

durrell
04-07-2006, 08:54 PM
It's headed right for me, when it gets here I'll let you know how it is. I <3 this weather. I mean in an it-intrigues-me-to-no-end kind of way, I hope everyone stays safe!

ricochet08
04-07-2006, 08:59 PM
lol im wit u on that one D.
sunday, the storm wasn't TOO bad, but still dangerous.
i just waited it out in the basement, and played a bit of pool.
it sounded like someone was walking upstairs.............yea............ :p
stay safe peeps

NB_Hacker_NB
04-07-2006, 10:20 PM
It's stormin' something bad in Summerville. Some funnel clouds have been spotted. Nothing bad yet, 'cept a bunch of hail,rain, thunder and lightnin'. Good luck to the rest of you.

druid
04-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Hacker...I've been watching this stuff on Discovery Ch all week. Now it doesn't happen that often but some have touched down in PA recently...if only for a minute...
Basicly, stay away from windows, get in from outside. Stay away from trailers/campgrounds and trees. Hail, some of it large chunks up to baseball-sized pieces, normally preceds a tornado. Look for green skies (during daylight) and wall clouds (looks like the alien cloud "VGER" from Star Trek the motion Picture. Laugh, but that's what it looks like.) The safest places are lowest areas of a house in locations with structural braces...solid walls, deep running pipes, doorways, etc. Trn off natural gas service if possible.

NB_Hacker_NB
04-07-2006, 11:57 PM
There we are! Tornado touched down in Sloppy Floyd state park. Ill have details later. (I did, happen to see a greenish of the sky, I thought it was just like the suns reflection on the clouds, like near sundown)

vikingshadow
04-08-2006, 03:41 AM
I've been through a lot of tornadoes in my 40 years. Oklahoma - the tornado magnet of the world, it seems at times. Also lived in Kansas for awhile, so yeah, tornadoes and I are good friends! Most are only F2's or lower, but once in a while, there's an F3 and up. The biggest one in a while was the May 3rd tornado a few years ago (which I wasn't in, but that storm spawned several F1's, F2's and mirco downbursts and stuff around our area, which is 150 miles from where it hit....)

Cool story, when I was growing up, I lived in the country. We saw about 3-4 tornadoes every 2 or 3 years or so. One time, my dad, brother and I stood in our front yard and watched 3 tornados at the same time - one to the west of us, one to the south and one to the east. They were a mile or so away, and it looked like they were dancing around us. Finally, my mom made us all go in the cellar. That was back in 83 or 84. The storm went through like 3-4 towns and demolished a lot of buildings, but not near as bad as the May 3rd tornado did to OKC.

I've stood outside and watched many tornadoes form but not reach the ground. It's always a scary thing, but if you keep your head, it's easy to survive one. It's harder when you have 3 scared as crap females that you're trying to get loaded into a spider infested storm cellar, but most of you don't have to worry about that....

Tornado tips:

1. Get low. Cellar if you have one. Best option for you, hands down.

2. If you don't have a cellar handy, get in the center of your house away from all windows. If you have a closet in the center of your house, that's your best bet.

Back when I was in school, we had tornado drills (still do!) But they used to make us open the windows on the east side of the building before we did it because they thought the buildings exploded from the buildup of pressure. Of course, that's crap. We know that the vaccum isn't what kills buildings anymore. So don't let anyone tell you to open windows first. When you hear the alarm, get in your shelter - FAST! Average ACURATE alert time is about 3 minutes, so take cover ASAP!

3. If your caught outside, look for an underpass. Climb up between the iron braces and HANG ON! The vaccum can and will suck you out if you don't.

4. DO NOT TRY TO OUTRUN A TORNADO. Hurricanes have nothing in the way of windspeed compared to a tornado, other than lasting longer. Windspeeds of tornadoes have been clocked faster than 200-250 mph. You aren't going to outrun it. If you have to, try driving at right angles to the tornado (for some reason that works, or so I've been told.) They can also be as big as 5 miles across - or bigger, and sometimes, you can't see the edge of them. So don't be stupid, just get into shelter.

5. Stay out of shallow ditches. It won't protect you, and normally there is a lot of rain involved with tornadic storms. Flash flooding is very possible.

6. Although I do this a lot, don't stand out side and gawk at the storm. Being cool only works if you're alive!

7. Stay calm, cool and collected! People die when they panic. You'll be fine and it'll be over in about 5-15 minutes. Most tornadoes hit and then they're gone. Some of the big ones are big eaters and chew up a lot of territory before they move on, but those are really rare.

Once you get away from the horribleness of the destructive capabilities of a tornado, they're really cool weather phenomena.....

NB_Hacker_NB
04-08-2006, 06:42 AM
I've been through a lot of tornadoes in my 40 years. Oklahoma - the tornado magnet of the world, it seems at times. Also lived in Kansas for awhile, so yeah, tornadoes and I are good friends! Most are only F2's or lower, but once in a while, there's an F3 and up. The biggest one in a while was the May 3rd tornado a few years ago (which I wasn't in, but that storm spawned several F1's, F2's and mirco downbursts and stuff around our area, which is 150 miles from where it hit....)

Cool story, when I was growing up, I lived in the country. We saw about 3-4 tornadoes every 2 or 3 years or so. One time, my dad, brother and I stood in our front yard and watched 3 tornados at the same time - one to the west of us, one to the south and one to the east. They were a mile or so away, and it looked like they were dancing around us. Finally, my mom made us all go in the cellar. That was back in 83 or 84. The storm went through like 3-4 towns and demolished a lot of buildings, but not near as bad as the May 3rd tornado did to OKC.

I've stood outside and watched many tornadoes form but not reach the ground. It's always a scary thing, but if you keep your head, it's easy to survive one. It's harder when you have 3 scared as crap females that you're trying to get loaded into a spider infested storm cellar, but most of you don't have to worry about that....

Tornado tips:

1. Get low. Cellar if you have one. Best option for you, hands down.

2. If you don't have a cellar handy, get in the center of your house away from all windows. If you have a closet in the center of your house, that's your best bet.

Back when I was in school, we had tornado drills (still do!) But they used to make us open the windows on the east side of the building before we did it because they thought the buildings exploded from the buildup of pressure. Of course, that's crap. We know that the vaccum isn't what kills buildings anymore. So don't let anyone tell you to open windows first. When you hear the alarm, get in your shelter - FAST! Average ACURATE alert time is about 3 minutes, so take cover ASAP!

3. If your caught outside, look for an underpass. Climb up between the iron braces and HANG ON! The vaccum can and will suck you out if you don't.

4. DO NOT TRY TO OUTRUN A TORNADO. Hurricanes have nothing in the way of windspeed compared to a tornado, other than lasting longer. Windspeeds of tornadoes have been clocked faster than 200-250 mph. You aren't going to outrun it. If you have to, try driving at right angles to the tornado (for some reason that works, or so I've been told.) They can also be as big as 5 miles across - or bigger, and sometimes, you can't see the edge of them. So don't be stupid, just get into shelter.

5. Stay out of shallow ditches. It won't protect you, and normally there is a lot of rain involved with tornadic storms. Flash flooding is very possible.

6. Although I do this a lot, don't stand out side and gawk at the storm. Being cool only works if you're alive!

7. Stay calm, cool and collected! People die when they panic. You'll be fine and it'll be over in about 5-15 minutes. Most tornadoes hit and then they're gone. Some of the big ones are big eaters and chew up a lot of territory before they move on, but those are really rare.

Once you get away from the horribleness of the destructive capabilities of a tornado, they're really cool weather phenomena.....

I laughed my arse off at that. Yea, the tornado at me didn't do anything, except become a water spout and suck up things.:rolleyes:

ad0131065
04-08-2006, 07:11 AM
yea, we had tornado watches here, nothing came of them tho.

killerpinecone
04-08-2006, 08:54 PM
As long as i got my electra no tornadoes will f%$& with me. STAY SAFE