PDA

View Full Version : Piranah LB

adriann222
04-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Hey I've been offered one of these in trade.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/6135/newgunz20184vx.jpg

Would anyone know what the value is on one of these and if they are any good?

Thanks

Adrian

QAZ123
04-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Murf trading you? I can probably find out what he paid for it. There nice but takes a while to get used to. It's one of my teammates old marker's before Murf bought it and it's in good condition.

I'd say it's gonna be a preferance call. I wouldn't think you would profit from trading though.

JB.

adriann222
04-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Ok I'm trading a stock Cocker w/ no reg. I was gonna make it into a sniper II but havn't decided yet. What kinda loader and such does it take and will it be easy to work on?

QAZ123
04-03-2006, 08:00 PM
imo..

Not easy to work on as it is an old school marker. It's functional but I would take a sniper over it any day!

JB.

OtterSC
04-04-2006, 09:04 AM
actually, an excellent find. one of the early markers of the sport. looks like it is a back bottle. and a speed demon bolt. and an all metal pump. i am guessing it is around the late 80's to real early 90's. not sure of the serial number or what it is stamped.

to some collectors, this is worth. but to somebody that doesn't know much, well....

doesn't need an aggitating loader since it is pump. you could turn it into an Nano-Cocker if so desired. basically, a P-LB with cocker pneumatics. i think it is a fair trade.

probably strip off the black and polish it if i had it.

adriann222
04-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Hey Otter,

I know your abit of an expert on the whole modding thing. But for a somewhat newbie at modding (no milling knowledge) how hard would this be to make this into a contender with Phantoms and cocker Snipers?

DRAGON
04-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Woah! I was just talking to a guy at a local pro shop on Sunday and he mentioned that he was into collecting pumps and bought out a few 80's vintage PMI's and he had a .68 Magnum which was the same marker I bought as my first pump. Now you throw a PMI Magnum out there lol. That's not in really too bad a shape for a dinosaur. Better looking than the ones he had. There was the PGP, PMI 1, PMI 2 and .68 Magnum was top of the line w/a larger block with sight rail that they attached a feedneck adapter to. The PMI 1 & 2 had a braised tube on the top & PMI Magnum(the later version of the 68 Magnum) was braised brass feedneck like the one you have there. That one went for $300 back in the day new. I have no idea what it's worth now. If it was me I'd offer whoever $50 for it but I'll never pay squat for used stuff. You will not find parts for it unless you can somehow squeeze some from Sheridan if they still exist. They used to be in Wisconsin just above Chicago -

Oh BTW, you're talking about modding. That marker has special lead pliable rings that you have to deform or mash to keep the internals in place. They're kind of a chore to work on. In the day when you got a marker, you pretty much left it that way unless it broke then you fixed it because you had to. That's not the modding kind of marker -

OtterSC
04-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Hey Otter,

I know your abit of an expert on the whole modding thing. But for a somewhat newbie at modding (no milling knowledge) how hard would this be to make this into a contender with Phantoms and cocker Snipers?

expert? no, not really. but thank you!

i have always liked the Phantoms when they came out. still do for pumps. they were my best seller when i had my store. and still afterwards.

to me, the Piranah series at that age are keepers for the historical value and to oo-and-ah the schmucks at the field. come on, having and using a marker that was around before the majority of the kiddies on the field were born is a cool factor.

they are heavy. the entire thing except for some of the internals, the pump and grip are brass. you can add any feed hopper to it that you desire. but are limited to 10-15 shots per 12g.

basically, add a stick feed, and you can play modified stock class games.

or, send it out to get things modified. i know one fellow that specialized in PGP's (this one you are asking about is extremely close if not the same with minor cosmetic differences; essentially a long barrel PGP). he can tune it quite well.

or, there is also Palmers Overpriced Pursuit After Your Wallet Shop. don't get me wrong. PPS can do great work. but he is (to me) only in this for the money. time has changed him. i have some stories on personal experience that i can share if so desire. he can make it in to a Nano that i mentioned.

there is always Airsoldier/Punisher Customs. does excellent work. but he gets swamped and may take a little to do the work. i think he can add to the marker for constant air.

if you have the right tools, you could get parts from Cooper-T to add a dummy 12gram and attach an air line for constant air.

web place that i have always enjoyed looking over that specializes in the old PMI stuff is PGP Owners Group (PGPOG) (http://airsoldier.com/~pgpog/)

adriann222
04-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Well I got offered $100 cash for my cocker so I'm gonna take that and buy one of these older markers on ebay for alittle less. This way I can have some extra cash to play with and buy parts (feed tubes, 12 gram charger, ect).

Thanks for the input guys.

DRAGON
04-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Umma, that has a C/A ASA on it so there's no need for 12 grams for it. You just screw a bottle straight into the ASA like any other marker. You could get a 12 gram adapter to screw into the ASA -

ttink
04-05-2006, 04:42 PM
ehhhh, before you sell the cocker for $100, im just gona tell you that Pirahna LB will go for much more than $100 if you wanted to buy it with that. Given the choice of the LB and $100, id take the LB definately.

OtterSC
04-06-2006, 04:35 AM
ehhhh, before you sell the cocker for $100, im just gona tell you that Pirahna LB will go for much more than $100 if you wanted to buy it with that. Given the choice of the LB and $100, id take the LB definately.

all depend who you sell too. i know some people would go nuts for one of these and would pay for that. but you also have the smart shoppers that knows what they are and probably could get it for half that.

adriann222
04-06-2006, 01:11 PM
all depend who you sell too. i know some people would go nuts for one of these and would pay for that. but you also have the smart shoppers that knows what they are and probably could get it for half that.

Yup that's my worry. I really need the money, so I figured I would hold off on getting into antique dealing quite yet :D

tigerdave714
04-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I think you made the right decision, just because you were a little unsure about this oldschool piece. You really have to have a heart for the oldschool brass. Otherwise you're gonna end up selling it. They're heavy and bulky, not as smooth to pump or easy to reload as the newer pump guns, and they're funky to work on. You have to have special somewhat-hard-to-find valve tools for them. But if you really find one you like, you'll be hooked for life!

I've seen similar markers to this one sell for $150+, even in circles where people see this kind of thing come and go regularly. Value and selling price are usually only 50% determined by the item. The other 50% is determined by who you are selling it to and how badly they want it. I would have bought that particular marker for $150 (just cause I know the current owner and the previous owner, and I know they have a reputation for buying good gear and taking care of it well).

Either way... I hope you're happy with what you ended up with. Please continue to post here as you shop around for another oldschool pump and as you piece together your sniper. I want to see pics and lots of discussion!