PDA

View Full Version : Wow.....

vikingshadow
04-03-2006, 03:34 PM
I've just been through two weeks of Hades......

My daughter, 13 and in 7th grade, has been trying out for the 8th grade varsity cheerleading squad next year. Practicing every day after school, working hard and what not for over two weeks. Well, today was the final day.

I have to say, I'm extremely proud of her. They were taking 12 girls, and there were 21 trying out. She got 13th, I believe. She didn't make the squad, but she handled it exactly how she should have. She said congratulations to the winners, didn't cry in front of the parents who were watching, and waited until she left before she got angry and cried. I had to talk with her (she's only 13 and this was her first loss at anything, so it was very tough for her....) and explain this is a normal way to feel, and that she shouldn't think bad about the girl's that made the squad - if you know ANYTHING about girls, this is EXACTLY how they are! They absolutely HATE each other on some level, especially after a competition.

What I found out just a while ago was that she was sorry because she felt she had let me down. She said I'd never been cut from anything I tried out for and she felt bad she didn't make the first thing she tried out for. We had a LONG talk about that...it was heartbreaking for a child to tell her parents that, both on her part and mine...who'd have thought that something I remembered vividly and proudly would actually come back and do damage to myself and someone I loved.

If anyone knows anything about 13-14 year old girls and cheerleading, it's vicious. I'm exhausted from the whole thing. I just thought I'd let everyone know how proud I am that she even got up all by herself in front of all those people in the middle of a gym with all eyes on her and attempted it. By the way, I do think she was good enough to make it, but she had a couple of bobbles, which probably was her downfall. All in all, a very tiring, but awesome learning experience for me and my daughter.

03TiburonGT
04-03-2006, 03:58 PM
I dont know if this is going to sound weird, but I'm proud of your daughter too...It takes a lot to do what she did.

thechubbss12
04-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Ahh cheerleading= Vicious sport...... I dont care what anyone says i play 6A high school football in Oklahoma and am a team captian. We practice for about 4 hours after school every day during the season, By the time we are going inside we are pretty much dead, but we still see the cheerleaders outside working hard to get thier routiens down......

Cheerleading will eat girls alive but if they have the guts to do it then power too emm.

DFSniper
04-05-2006, 12:19 AM
:applause: for your daughter. middle school drama is probably worse than high school drama IMO... my sister turns 13 in less than 2 weeks and she tries to act like she's 19...

durrell
04-05-2006, 06:04 AM
My sister did that a few years ago. She managed to do the same thing, and it's a good feeling to know they can pick their head up and walk away without looking ashamed.

Drefish99
04-05-2006, 06:20 AM
Buy her a BMW and she won't worry about cheerleading anymore. Trust me. It works.

OtterSC
04-05-2006, 06:43 AM
actually, what Dre suggested works. i am still technically jobless (doing minimal part time stuff) and our one car broke down. something you want to happen when there is not much income coming in. well, i (we, actually, the wife and i) got her a BMW. she now has forgotten the i am unemployed.

DexGtr
04-05-2006, 09:11 AM
actually, what Dre suggested works. i am still technically jobless (doing minimal part time stuff) and our one car broke down. something you want to happen when there is not much income coming in. well, i (we, actually, the wife and i) got her a BMW. she now has forgotten the i am unemployed.

me and my wife are employed and still can't buy a BMW...my life sucks. :(

Tk-421
04-05-2006, 09:25 AM
i got lucky..im 18 and have an almost fully restored 1969 camaro convertible..( it was my 16th b-day present from my grandparents..the car used to be my moms but she didnt drive it any more and she signed the title over to me)..but ive done most of the restoration work myself with my grandpas help...its been alot of fun being able to spend time with my grandpa

*EM1-Master*
04-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Sweet. I want to restore a '67 Mustang sometime in the future... Would be great fun...

durrell
04-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Sweet. I want to restore a '67 Mustang sometime in the future... Would be great fun...

Me and dad are talking about some kind of old car or maybe an old Jeep..I want to learn more about cars and it would be fun..

shunut
04-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Sounds like you have a great daughter who looks up to and respects you a lot. At that age you should feel very fortunate because thats around the age that your kids start hating their parents.

*EM1-Master*
04-05-2006, 11:34 AM
IMO, sixties muscle cars are the most rewarding, over something like a Jeep or something...

vikingshadow
04-05-2006, 02:04 PM
LOL - I've found a few "I hate Dad" and "I hate my Parents" notes around the house.... But overall, she's a great kid. I'm the one who's fortunate...

I would LOVE to buy her a BMW since she can't drive awhile...it'd be mine! LOL!

Oh, way to hijack the thread fellows.......

DexGtr
04-05-2006, 02:14 PM
otter started it :D

chubb0rz
04-05-2006, 02:23 PM
it was merely a detour :o

vikingshadow
04-05-2006, 03:48 PM
LOL! You young'uns talking cars in a thread about my daughter - ain't any of ya coming anywhere CLOSE to my daughter with a car.....inside OR outside!

Recon by Fire
04-05-2006, 05:11 PM
It only gets worse as they get older Vik! LOL But look at it this way, enjoy the life experiences such as these that you get to spend with your daughter. Many Dad's (myself included) miss out on such things because of divorce, work, whatever, etc...) So even though your daughter is upset, enjoy the time with her anyway. There will come a day when she is older that having Dad around instead of her friends will not be cool.

Baller-59
04-05-2006, 06:34 PM
LOL! You young'uns talking cars in a thread about my daughter - ain't any of ya coming anywhere CLOSE to my daughter with a car.....inside OR outside!
just wait till mines parked in your living room:dodgy:

chubb0rz
04-05-2006, 06:47 PM
just wait till mines parked in your living room:dodgy:
matchboxes dont count :p

edit: and yes coming from a young adult. there are 3 stages to a regular teenage developement...

1. having parents around because you need help and stuff
2. parents are annoying and dont let me do what i want and dont understand me
3. there was a reason they did what they did and i thank them

Sadly not all kids hit all 3 of these stages but I think a majority do and the older ones can relate if they did. She will eventually hit that stage where you may be the bad guy but keep at it, she wont understand it till later. And I am thankful everyday that my parents were hard on me and taught me respect and discipline.

vikingshadow
04-05-2006, 06:49 PM
That's ok, I've been working with Otter on my rifle marksmanship skills - he being an ex marksmanship professional and all. Plus, he's got all those covert operating skills. These boys'll never know what hit, um, killed, erhm, surprised them, yeah that's it! As a back up, I've got Louie and Guido standing in the shadows across the street. They'll do anything for a pie....

Recon, that's one of the biggest reasons I'm getting out of paintball, slowly, but still getting out. I missed a lot over the past 3 years, and I want to get more back. She's pretty close to not wanting me around, but fortunately, she's friends with a lot of kids who I taught who still think of me as "cool Mr. B." (At least that's what I tell myself! Hahaha!) I think, and I hope, at least for a bit, I can hold onto her for a while longer with that....

OtterSC
04-06-2006, 03:18 AM
otter started it :D

did not! :otter:

DRAGON
04-06-2006, 03:37 AM
matchboxes dont count :p

edit: and yes coming from a young adult. there are 3 stages to a regular teenage developement...

1. having parents around because you need help and stuff
2. parents are annoying and dont let me do what i want and dont understand me
3. there was a reason they did what they did and i thank them........

.......and the one that hits you when you get older: OMG.......I've become just like my parents! - :eek:

chubb0rz
04-06-2006, 03:39 AM
.......and the one that hits you when you get older: OMG.......I've become just like my parents! - :eek:
oh gez i forgot about that one :confused:

Warnichek
04-06-2006, 09:36 AM
I think she handled it perfectly. No meaning anything bad here please but sometimes kids have to know what it means to lose sometimes. I am very competetive with my 9 year old who is in baseball and he knows how the situation is.

But over all I think she did great with her situation.

mattie5960
04-06-2006, 10:17 AM
...it takes a lot to lose at something you tried really hard for, im sure she will get it next year

vwjimmy
04-07-2006, 03:12 PM
her handling of it all shows how well you are doing with her.......
my 16 yr old just missed pitching for his high school team this year.....
last night he struck out their top hitter at a 16/17 yr old league......
let her know how many good things come around to good people like her and her dad :D

vikingshadow
04-08-2006, 03:53 AM
Thanks guys. I'm really proud of her, especially the last few days. Her character is pretty awesome.

I'm glad it happened, because like was mentioned, sometimes you have to lose so you can know how it feels and learn to deal with it. She's bounced back really well.

It's hard to see sometimes in your own kids, but when character shows at the correct times, it's really worth all the pain and suffering a parent goes through teaching and making mistakes with their children.

Chris Cole
04-08-2006, 06:00 AM
You have great kids and a very understanding wife Vike!

Life is about handling adversity, and I'd say the kid is doing pretty well. It's not whether you fall down, but how you get back up. Middle school girls are mean, vicious and evil. Being able to congratulate everyone else and walk out with your head up shows a level of character that any parent should be proud of. Signs of a good kid and good parents. Congrats to you and your daughter Vike, looks like you got her going in the right direction.