PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for the new forum

geeZus
12-29-2005, 09:33 PM
I think since this new forum is still in its infacy it wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone to make some REASONABLE suggestions. I think there's a few things that could be improved on, and would make everyone happier with the forum.

First off, I would like the option to be able to view the forum in vBulletin2 style. Right now its in vBulletin 3 style, and I think the threads don't flow as well as with vB2. Look at www.dragva.com/forums for reference. Goto the bottom and make sure its in vBulletin2 Style. It puts all the user info to the left side, instead of being above the post. PBNation also uses vB2 style, or atleast its an option.

Secondly, custom user titles. I dunno if thats gonna be a privelage or not, since we still don't have full use of the forum yet, but I think that'd be a nice thing. I didn't like being stuck with the one I had. Mine was "I Bought an Acura." It was nice when I first got my car, but after awhile it kinda got lame. To be able to change it would be nice. I know on PBN the swear filter also works on the user titles, so we wouldn't have to worry about it. You could make avoiding the swear filter on titles a bannable offense on the first violation, be strict on it.

Third, member only sections. At www.dragva.com, there are certain forums which are not viewable by guests. One of those is Road Kill, which is the race story section, the others are SPO(flame section), Eye Candy(pics) and Off Topic. Maybe make the NPT forum viewable only to members, and maybe a few others.

Fourth, a veteran's forum, that needs permissions to join. Maybe make it only for "patrons" or whatnot. We all know that Otter's website takes money to keep on the net, and we ALL know how beneficial its been to all of us. I think as a special privelidge for donating to Otter, those can have a special color username and allowed into another forum. It may seem like Otter trying to profit off of us, but this is just an idea I came up with from other forums. I have no problem donating a certain amount a year, like say $20, to be a "patron" or whatever the title is. I know how important it and helpful his site was to me, and I wouldn't mind helping him out, and this is a way for all of us to help him. For all the work he has done to put that site up and help all of us, the least we could do is help him out. I dunno how much it costs him to run the site for a year, but maybe you, Otter, could look into your yearly costs, figure a reasonable rate to make it. DragVA does this because the original owner of the forum is a young guy, and the costs weren't cheap running that forum. Ads helped, but the patronage has helped a lot I'd say, and people there have seemed to have no problem donating even more than the $20 I suggested for this site. One year patronage there is $30. The benefits there are increased PM storage, ability to view certain forums, the Black Hole(where deleted threads and the archived threads are) and a few others. Their names also show up Pink, unlike the normal blue.

Thats about all I've come up with. If you guys have any other ideas, share them, but be intelligent and reasonable. I'm sure the guys are willing to listen, but only to mature and reasonable requests.

I took the time to write all this, so all you ADD kids(Hoppy) better read it all. Honestly, I had been a member here for a year and a half when I got banned. At first I was like, "pfft, oh well", but after a few days I had to reregister and get back on. I kinda found an online home here, and I know there's a lot who feel the same way as me. To us veterans, we are like family. I'm just trying to help out with the new forum, since I consider this my online home more than any other forum.

bigred76
12-29-2005, 09:41 PM
I took the time to write all this, so all you ADD kids(Hoppy) better read it all. Honestly, I had been a member here for a year and a half when I got banned. At first I was like, "pfft, oh well", but after a few days I had to reregister and get back on. I kinda found an online home here, and I know there's a lot who feel the same way as me. To us veterans, we are like family. I'm just trying to help out with the new forum, since I consider this my online home more than any other forum.
QFT!

Well said. I agree with most of it, and I wouldn't mind the OS forum or patronage thing being a part of this forum. I know how much it costs to get hosting for stuff like Otter's site, and it is quite a pretty penny.

I agree on the styling as well, the vB2 style is much easier to navigate to me.

For the user titles, I don't see why. If the user titles are self-made, then they wont be as special. Heck, everyone would have a good title instead of the "new guy" thing.

marvin-martian
12-29-2005, 09:47 PM
i just want the old colors back and for the forum to look like it did before. and i like the custom title idea, but make it so you have to earn it.

i dont reall have any suggestions other than making it appear more like thedead kusa

phatphil
12-29-2005, 09:48 PM
tl;dr :dodgy:

An Old School/Vet. section would be great though.

●JUSTIN●
12-30-2005, 06:58 AM
Poster info down the left hand side.
No big ugly username.

colonel_moo
12-30-2005, 07:16 AM
im not a fan of the poster info on top either. i think the old school section idea (kinda like OSST on PBN) but i donno how well that would work if everyone registered on more or less the same day.

we also need more themes (colors etc.) to choose from. i dont really like the stock one.

HITMAN
12-30-2005, 08:08 AM
I want to make a suggestion like marvin-martin's but for more colors thats all.

durrell
12-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Just give us a sidebar to make it similar to the old forums, I have PBN set to sidebar and it would be much better.

And I like the idea of an OSKUSA but we can't do it by register date because that would defeat the purpose..it would take time to get everyone who is supposed to be there in there..

And I agree. This website has been my homepage for 3 years, I never changed it even on the multiple occasions it's went down. It's my home and I plan to be here for awhile, and I'd definitely be a "Supporting Member". :thumbup:

And it's good to see some of the oldschoolers that were banned back here :cool:

ttink
12-30-2005, 11:57 AM
I agree with new colors, preferabbly a scheme close to the old forums (black and orange). Side bar would be awesome as well as avatars. The OS forums is a great idea. As for titles, i kind of liked how you had to be chosen to get one, you couldnt just make your own.

geeZus
01-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I put some thought into this...and it seems to be getting ignored... :(

bigred76
01-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Yeah...musta taken you a week to muster the brainpower to get that much typed! :p I think that the titles will be left as they are now...some people seem to like it that way.

Xecutiv3
01-02-2006, 01:00 PM
The patron only forum wouldn't do much good, there'd be like only 20 people plus mods allowed in, sig pics for patrons would be nice, wouldn't slow up the forum too much, and it would encourage patronage

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 01:01 PM
abolish 30 sec between posts

chubb0rz
01-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Patience g...i'm sure someone has taken the time to read it. :)

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Patience g...i'm sure someone has taken the time to read it. :)
pshh.. i didnt...

geeZus
01-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Patience
No habla espanol you silly mexican. Use some english words I understand next time.;)

Baller-59
01-02-2006, 03:05 PM
swear filter is too harsh
ditch the rainbow dodgy
diffrent background colors would be awesome too
those are my suggestions

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 03:08 PM
swear filter is too harsh
ditch the rainbow dodgy
diffrent background colors would be awesome too
those are my suggestions
what kind of words have you been trying to say... just ___ clark?

dont care what color a smily is, but the new smiley set massivly sucks... like the stick out tounge and roll eyes both suck.

this bacround is the best, unless you liked the black backround... cough*goths*cough

Xecutiv3
01-02-2006, 03:18 PM
This may not be possible, but the ability to personalize backgrounds, colors or pics.
I kinda agree with the smiley thing, almost better looking to type out "= P"
The language filter is fine

vikingshadow
01-02-2006, 03:23 PM
I don't think the swear filter is too harsh. I believe it's about like the other filter was. Really, guys. There are other words out there that are just as forceful and get the point across - and more colorful and fun to read let alone say!

However, I've noticed lately that it seems like people HAVE to use swear words, like a kid when his parent or teacher step out of the room - and they think it sounds cool. I tell my children and students that it just shows a lack of vocabulary....use more colorful adjectives. It lightens any conversation!

Anywho...be patient guys. I think the forum is working just fine - at the very least we can get on and post now! As far as the other things, none of us are paying for them, so why are we so demanding about what we get? There are several cool features about this new forum - like view new posts or some of the self edit features, and I think they tend to outweigh the things we lost (with the exception of feedback - but that's been covered several times already....let's not bring that up again!)

claustrophobia9
01-02-2006, 03:25 PM
to swear properly, you only use the words when needing to add force, generally when used this way they are considered bad because you should be saying something that they dont want to hear because the average human fears change.

Xecutiv3
01-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Sorry bout that Vike, but you know its a Suggestion thread, nobody's demanding anything right now

Baller-59
01-02-2006, 03:47 PM
this bacround is the best, unless you liked the black backround... cough*goths*cough

don't make me get banned for flaming......

I was just used to the darker colors and the light text. It was easier. the other boards I post on have dark backgrounds so this one is more of an eyesore. I can't stand to be here for too long because it's just too bright. Things also stick out more on a dark backround since everything you put on them is lighter. pics, smileys, etc.

durrell
01-02-2006, 03:55 PM
It's all preference guys, no reason to argue over it.

I suggest less run-up-your-post-count threads in NPT. :rolleyes:

WhatThaSmurf
01-02-2006, 04:00 PM
i agree about the post whoring topics, but some of them are fun. i like having more ways to personalize the look, but it's really fine as it is

Team Ramrod
01-02-2006, 04:39 PM
I suggest less run-up-your-post-count threads in NPT. :rolleyes:

yeah, the six post-whore threads are getting out of hand.

phatphil
01-02-2006, 04:48 PM
If I made a custom theme would you be able to implement it easily Otter or is it difficult?

Team Ramrod
01-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Party poopers :dodgy:
i know it doesnt really make a diff. but i liked back on the other forums when everyone was finnaly setteled and didnt need to worry about it. now you have to go through half a page where people post random words to get their count up untill you get to a thread with something new, interesting and actually a meaningful post.
just my .02 of course

lol, caught your edit to!

Baller-59
01-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Get rid of when it says I last visited too. I don't need to know that and it's scary to see how frequently you visit somewhere online

Drefish99
01-02-2006, 08:00 PM
yeah, the six post-whore threads are getting out of hand.

Im about to clean that up. ;)

bigred76
01-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Oh noes! I was enjoying playing those games too. :bawling:

.21'[~tw!tch*
01-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Suggestion for the nEw forum???

Make me a mod?.......*aquward Silence*............................Just a thought. ok then i got nothin.

.: p3ace:.

druid
01-02-2006, 09:19 PM
replace "Post count" with "OSKUSA and join date"

Mods don't have a defined color to there names...even though we know who you are, newbs won't readily distinguish them.

bigred76
01-02-2006, 09:21 PM
*gasp* You said the "N" word! Bad boy, Druid. :p

I actually just realized that and was heading back here to post it...darn mystic powers! He's reading my mind! :eek:

druid
01-02-2006, 09:27 PM
haha....told you and Doug never to mee with me :cloud: ...:p

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 12:50 PM
suggestion: answer the following question: whats with the crazy little icons next to some of the mods' names, like otter has the crazy red one with the spider that says "admin" and dre has a crazy black one with "moderator" but vike doesnt have one.

durrell
01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I think otter turned them off maybe..

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 02:23 PM
are you saying dre pwnt all the other mods?

TheRedBarron
01-03-2006, 02:25 PM
suggestion: answer the following question: whats with the crazy little icons next to some of the mods' names, like otter has the crazy red one with the spider that says "admin" and dre has a crazy black one with "moderator" but vike doesnt have one.

weird...

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 02:40 PM
guess red is cool enough to have one too.

vikingshadow
01-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Yeah, wonder why I don't get one??????

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 03:05 PM
definately not cuz ur not cool...:shrug:

Team Ramrod
01-03-2006, 03:20 PM
looks like now there are 3 more skins to choose from, none of which i like though

paintballer5646
01-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Another thing is that maybe add a video section for people like me who make mixes would like to show people them on here and not on PBN. Other then that it really is fine with me. I'm just gald that it's back up and running so i have something to do when im not at school.

Team Ramrod
01-03-2006, 03:43 PM
you can make it yourself. go into your profile and you can set it there

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 03:50 PM
you can make it yourself. go into your profile and you can set it there
ya lol... like the "who's online" that we "dont" have. what i still cant get it to do is go straight to the newest unread post in a thread. itll do it if the thread can be seen as the top one from the main forums and i click it, but not when im inside a specific forum.

durrell
01-03-2006, 04:09 PM
ya lol... like the "who's online" that we "dont" have. what i still cant get it to do is go straight to the newest unread post in a thread. itll do it if the thread can be seen as the top one from the main forums and i click it, but not when im inside a specific forum.

Click "Last Page" and it takes you right to it..

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Click "Last Page" and it takes you right to it..
for the last time... no it doesnt... you all seem to think that the last post is the same as the last unread post so let me tell you why it isnt.

im here at 4pm in a thread:

i read posts (pretend there is one post per page): 1, and 2

i come back at 8pm and the same thread has 12 posts, i last read it when it had 2. so i HAVEN'T read 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12. if i click "last page" it will take me to page 12, but i havent read the 10 pages before that. i want it to take me to page 3, since that is the newest one that i haven't read. the old forum did this, the new one doesn't.

durrell
01-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Mine does this as long as I don't click "Last Page", I have it set to do that. You need to change the settings in your User CP. I know exactly what you're talking about, and mine does that because it always does it in the Word Association Thread and I do the wrong association.

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Mine does this as long as I don't click "Last Page", I have it set to do that. You need to change the settings in your User CP. I know exactly what you're talking about, and mine does that because it always does it in the Word Association Thread and I do the wrong association.
my bad, i was saying last cuz its more time gone by, so my mind ranked them by time, making the "last" unread earlier in the day than the first unread. i want to read it in order, not most recent, i still want it to go to the section of the thread where i last read, not the begining, not the end.

Santy
01-03-2006, 04:36 PM

maybe they un-mod-ified you

durrell
01-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Dont you set it to linear then?

Santy
01-03-2006, 04:39 PM
haha, moderator is in the swear filter for custom titles, FOiled again.

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Dont you set it to linear then?
its linear. but it always goes to the first post in a thread. i still dont think you understand what i want it to do.

durrell
01-03-2006, 05:04 PM
You want it to be like when you leave your computer in the morning and come back in the afternoon, any post that was posted after you left that morning..you go back to the first one posted after you left in that thread..

claustrophobia9
01-03-2006, 05:19 PM
ya. it seems silly to close a book that youve already read 2 chapers in, pick it up the next day later and have to start from the beginning.

Baller-59
01-03-2006, 05:22 PM
thanks for the new background choices, feels like it used to.

druid
01-03-2006, 07:25 PM
OH SNAP!! Luvin' and rockin' da Darkside!!!

bigred76
01-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Heehee, me too! SICKNESS!

.21'[~tw!tch*
01-06-2006, 06:26 AM
Suggestion for the nEw forum???

Make me a mod?.......*aquward Silence*............................Just a thought. ok then i got nothin.

But seriously???

Oh by the way it's Auto68....