PDA

View Full Version : skaters! need help!

rowdyroper2003
03-29-2006, 09:59 AM
hey y'all! i'm not big into skateboarding, and i know some of yall skate, so i'm throwing this question out there...

how easy is it to learn how to skate on a longboard?

i'm not looking to get into doing all the ollies and whatnot (aka skating street and park), i just wanna get a longboard to cruise around on up here at school, cause the parking lots are kinda far away...

any brand better than another? what kinda stuff should i know? is it easier to skate on a longboard, or is a regular trick-style board easier?

any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

marvin-martian
03-29-2006, 11:28 AM
i dont know anything about brands, but riding one isnt hard at all. you just have to push and coast. longboard bearings are really nice, so its easy to get going fast and hold that speed, since thats the whole pupose of the board.

ricochet08
03-29-2006, 03:53 PM
man...it's been sooo long since i've skateboared. i think i might start back :D

but few years back, this guy @ the local sk8park had a long board, and i asked if i could try it out. so he let me. i was pretty sketchy @ 1st, but after bout a min or two, i was doin kick-flips with it and dropin in on the half pipe :)
it's kinda like riding a regular sk8board IMO.

flat out....i should really start back :D

UKwithPride
03-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Longboards will get you where you want to be, quicker. I personally hate the feeling of a longboard, so I don't skate them.

As for a good brand of longboard, Sector 9's are nice.

marvin-martian
03-29-2006, 04:24 PM
rico...why would you use a longboard like a regular skateboard. they are for transportation, while skateboards are for tricks. if they were made for tricks, they would be alot smaller because its way too long to do anything with.

mv540
03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Zero is a great brand, i gat one, and its ok...i suggest you one:p (well any zero board s)

Angel69
03-29-2006, 04:35 PM
if u are interested.... i have a girl basic logo (blue 2005) a little scratched up...no chips or anything....element featherlight wheels (black)....bone swiss bearings (75 new).....royal trucks....green rims ( to protect the bearings)

and some spare wheels and bearings for sale...if ur interested let me know!:) for sale for cheap!

druid
03-29-2006, 05:05 PM
meh....just rape your computer chair of it's wheels and hammer them into a 2"X12".....:dodgy:

DJ Katt RMX
03-29-2006, 10:40 PM
don't get caught riding a skateboard, buy a miniscooter....

Dharma punk
03-30-2006, 12:37 AM
If you just want to cruise, get a longboard. They are way nicer for just cruising than the "regular" skateboards you can get. My advice is to go to a few local shops and check some out. Get one that you like and will be happy with. Not what everyone else tells you to get.

The Magician
03-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Or here's an idea, walk.

TM

bigred76
03-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Longboards will get you where you want to be, quicker. I personally hate the feeling of a longboard, so I don't skate them.

As for a good brand of longboard, Sector 9's are nice.
:yeahthat: My bro has a Sector 9, VERY nice board. I can even skate it pretty well, and I suck on my normal board. :D

marvin-martian
03-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Or here's an idea, walk.
heres an idea, longboards are faster than walking and you exert less energy using them

The Magician
03-30-2006, 02:59 PM
But you get more exercise, meaning you don't get fat and you keep in better shape. Besides, it's better for you and a hell of a lot cheaper.

TM

ricochet08
03-30-2006, 05:11 PM
rico...why would you use a longboard like a regular skateboard. they are for transportation, while skateboards are for tricks. if they were made for tricks, they would be alot smaller because its way too long to do anything with.

lol i asked myself the same thing when i stepped on it, but it was just a habit so i didn't fight it :p
it was fun :D

kyle_saville
03-30-2006, 05:36 PM
sector 9

rowdyroper2003
03-30-2006, 06:27 PM
But you get more exercise, meaning you don't get fat and you keep in better shape. Besides, it's better for you and a hell of a lot cheaper.

TM

i'm 6'3" 150 lbs...eat 2 meals a day, work in a warehouse (walk around stocking all day), and go to a commuter school (parking lots around the perimeter of campus, walk everywhere)...i don't think i'm on a road to getting fat from using a longboard two days a week...

its pretty much just to get me where i'm going faster, not an effort to be lazy...

i found this one on Ebay...i like it cause it's pretty simple...no wild graphics, just something to ride around on...vvvvv

plain jane (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7230680574&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

spydr
03-30-2006, 07:21 PM
you dont ollie on a longboard lol

DFSniper
03-31-2006, 01:16 PM
nice. TGM is a good company, i think my moms ordered 2 boards from them (she still hasnt given me my new Black Label, says it hasnt come in but its really laying on her bed... but shes kinda pissed off right now, so im not gonna push it).

ooglieboogliebob
03-31-2006, 06:07 PM
eh .. any board would probably do ... havn't really skated them much so i wouldn't know ... the long boards or the regular boards don't really have much of a difference ... just put soft wheels on them ... and good bearings....