PDA

View Full Version : Dye UL or SP Freak for ION??

ShadowX
03-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Well, I thought I had my mind set on a Freak barrel for the ION, but then i got a chance to use the UL this weekend, and.. WOW!, what a great barrel. I was ball on ball all day long and i was using paint that i matched to a friend's Pipie kit at a .683, and the UL was a .688! I really like the UL's....

But, I have never shot my ION with a Freak on it, so I don't know how it shoots with one on It, so I guess I am asking if anyone as shot an ION with a Freak on it, and did it shoot well with it on??

I like the AA tip on Freaks because it is really quiet, but then I shot the UL and I think it is quieter..

Just anyone who has used one of them or both, can I get your opinons??

Thanks Guys.

TacTownKilla
03-26-2006, 09:12 PM
i prefer just buyin a .691 ul. Dont have to worry bout matching bores or anything. And with my freak i found myself just usin the .691 and not worrying bout it.

lewizz124
03-26-2006, 09:23 PM
just get a 691. bored UL, like you said its ball on ball accurate. dont worry about paint matching just overbore and itll shoot accurate and wont break paint no matter how big or small. paint size matching is overrated and a waste. ULs are awsome, get one.

bigred76
03-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Overbored .691 UL. The Freak only has the advantage if your marker is closed-bolt, like an Autococker, and need the correct bore barrel. I <3 my UL, and would only trade it for one of a bigger bore. :D

lewizz124
03-26-2006, 09:55 PM
to avoid possible confusion ions arent closed bolt, you prolly know but im just gonna say it before anyone asks.

bigred76
03-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks for spotting that one, Lewizz. I realized after I posted that someone might ask that. Most electro-pnuematic markers are open bolt, and only pumps and 'Cockers are the ones that come to mind right away that are closed bolt.

*EM1-Master*
03-26-2006, 10:30 PM
The issues come when you're using paint that you're not used to, i.e. field paint... I just had a NIGHTMARE experience this Saturday at the field as far as chopping goes.... I was using my Shocker, and chopping like MAD... I was using my Freak and had only brought my .693 insert, but when I sized the balls on a strange hunch late in the day, it was nearly impossible to blow through... Even the .693! I took someone's .695 and it faired slightly better, but the issue with not having a kit is that you can run into situations where you're just SOL...

*EM1-Master*
03-26-2006, 10:36 PM
And I didn't realize that it was Shadow who had made this thread, and he can definitely confirm that this paint was HUGE... He was using Diablo Heat and not having issues, but the Shrapnel that I was using was just unbearable... So many issues... I'll take this opportunity to inform you, Dustin, that I went 1v1 with the brat. He stayed at the home plate Aztec the entire time... I broke right from low, decided that I didn't like it, sprinted across to the left to an Aztec at about the 30, layed down some paint, moved up to a rolly at the mid-left 40, layed down some more paint, had a PERFECT running lane to the X, played the X for about 10 seconds, dropped to the rolly directly to the right of the X... One snap out the right of the rolly, and I hear "OAOOOAAAAAAAHHHHHHOHA!!! HE SHOT ME IN THE BALLS!!!!"

Yeah so I balled the brat, and I know that I'm your hero now... ^.^

lewizz124
03-26-2006, 11:23 PM
lol nice story. id still go with a .691 UL, dont buy cheap field paint anyways, thats never a good thing to do.

ShadowX
03-27-2006, 03:41 AM
Hahaha!! Evan your my hero!! That is Hilarious!! That kid needs to GET A LIFE. Remember, "Get your dad to buy the feild..."

I have some pics of you, Me and Scott playing also, I will post them in the Pic section after school today.

And Thanks everyone for telling me about the UL, I'm looking forward to getting it.

druid
03-27-2006, 08:56 AM
well, when we play our renegade field We buy our paint in bulk and divvy it up...sometimes from (Richard's) Sporting Goods, sometimes from the Proshop sales. However...when we go to the (not so) local fields, it's FPO so we have to buy it there...that's where the inserts come in handy...because every time I go, there's different paint. There's even a difference in paint when you go from the woods-courses to the tourney complex.

It depends on your field....where you play - get the barrel that suits you.

lewizz124
03-27-2006, 09:19 AM
or just overbore so it all fits...

druid
03-27-2006, 09:30 AM
true...but then again if the paint's small or a smaller medium paint, you get wingers and worse paint response all-together

lewizz124
03-27-2006, 09:35 AM
ive shot tiny tiny paint threw my .695 evil pipe and didnt have any probelsm at all, but itd be best if you go .691 cuz its not too much bigger than standard bore so small paint isnt effected all that much.

*EM1-Master*
03-27-2006, 09:46 AM
The kid was lying too... He didn't have any balls...

ShadowX
03-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Hahaha!! Evan, now that was Funny!! And, The UL only comes in .688 and .692, so i guess the .692 is what i should go with??

But, if I keep shooting that Diablo Heat, which is a .683 and the UL being a .692, that is ALMOST a .10 difference, and that would not affect my accuracy??

I know that like a .686 ball shooting through a .689 would not make much of a difference, but when using a .692 barrel on .683 paint?? That seems like it would start to mess with accuracy, but I really do not know...

druid
03-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Hahaha!! Evan, now that was Funny!! And, The UL only comes in .688 and .692, so i guess the .692 is what i should go with??

But, if I keep shooting that Diablo Heat, which is a .683 and the UL being a .692, that is ALMOST a .10 difference, and that would not affect my accuracy??

I know that like a .686 ball shooting through a .689 would not make much of a difference, but when using a .692 barrel on .683 paint?? That seems like it would start to mess with accuracy, but I really do not know...

...which is why I made my latest comment :D

*EM1-Master*
03-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Nope... Shouldn't be too much of an issue, actually...

colonel_moo
03-27-2006, 03:00 PM
well overboring is generally the way to go. i use my matrix stock barrel (same honing etc as an UL, just not milled as nice) when its warm out, but if its cold, it helps to have the right bore. you dont want anything to be bouncing anywhere inside that barrel when the paint is that brittle, so thats when i switch over to my empire kit.

bottom line: if you are planning on playing a lot of cold weather ball, get a kit, if not, the UL/other high quality barrel is the way to go.

and if you are playing paintball in the cold, its time to find an indoor field :)

FullMetal
03-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Freak inserts tend to break easy if your not careful with them, Pipe kits are good and shoots threw breaks but the tips are very thin,I'm planing on getting a J&J edge kit or a poison arrow kit some time soon. I got a batch of small paint and they roll right out the end of my barrel, very aggravating when your snap shooting.

druid
03-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Freak inserts tend to break easy if your not careful with them

only if yer using them as tent stakes...I mean come-on man, they're inserts for crying out loud. They're aluminum or S/S...they're not delrin (not flaming you, it's just riddiculous to claim that they 'tend to break easy' unless you are jumping on them or shooting iron-ore pellets out of them or enact the "Glock Torture test" to it...)

I've had my (aluminum) freak inserts for almost a year and the only thing that's wrong with them is that the anno is starting to wear on 2 of the insert's breeches...

Seriously...if you abuse your equipment, or aren't even remotely careful with it, you deserve all the problems that are asociated with it's failure. Take care of your gear and it'll take care of you...

FullMetal
03-28-2006, 07:32 PM
If you accidentally drop one or knock over your case and someone accidentally steps on one then it will bend . It happens, you don't have to use it as a tent stake to break. If it can happen, it will. Just something to keep in mind.

druid
03-28-2006, 08:46 PM
If you accidentally drop one or knock over your case and someone accidentally steps on one then it will bend . It happens, you don't have to use it as a tent stake to break. If it can happen, it will. Just something to keep in mind.

I've dropped my inserts without ill effect...and you are describing an entire chain of events right from Final Destination...that being the case, was it destiny that ruined the inserts or was it avoidable by reading the signs? Point is...be careful and crap won't happen.....

ShadowX
03-29-2006, 05:07 AM
I think i am still going to go with the UL. I will just make a UL kit, well, there are only two different size backs for the UL (.688 and .692), but I think I'll go for the gold and get both, so that when i have smaller paint, I will use the .688. And then for the bigger bore paint I will use the .692.

Thanks for the help everyone!