PDA

View Full Version : Why you keep your goggles on!

druid
03-26-2006, 01:00 PM
This post was created on another forum by a person with the name of Bob and his username is 1-i.
It was originally made into 4 posts. There was mention on that forum of printing it out and the permission was given so a moderator reposted it into one big one. Character limits on this forum will require me to do the same...

He wrote:
Hi my name is 1-i also known as Bob and I am a paintballer. Ive been paintballing for a little more then a decade now and I have experienced many things in this great game of ours. With all the good comes some bad, the following is about the worst experience that any paintballer can just about go through. I am posting this as a warning to all who think that they are invincible or that some actions dont have consiquence.

In the summer of 1995 me and my good friend Tony first get into paintball.
Our start was humble and inocent, mainly it was used for shooting trees, cans and at birds. Shortly after oweing it we return it for our money back to purchase video games. At the same time I purchase a copy of Action Pursuit Games magazine. Our love for paintball grew quickly but our parents wont let us purchase any paintball items since we returned our last and spent the money on other things.

Summer 1996, my mother, the ever persistant rumage sale shopper, finds a sale that is selling 7 paintball markers. She thinks its a good idea under the excuse of it being a family thing. Me, Im happy that she finally listened to all the blabbering that I did the last year about wanting to get into paintball more than what I was previously allowed. She purchases the paintball markers, they are Nelspot 007 stock class, and we begin to have our fun. Quickly its discovered that only three of our nelspots work but since we discover that the factory that made them is in the same town that the hospital that my mother, a RN, works at. We get replacement parts but never get around to fixing the broken markers.

So with only 3 working markers we have some fun with them, shooting trees, cans and at birds again. One weekend Tony comes over to stay (I live in the country, he's in the city) and we get the bright idea to go play against each other. We have no protective gear at all but my mother warns us to wear saftey goggles. Since mom is the law we listen and grab some shop glasses and go play. We end up shooting at each other for an hour till we run out of paint. Not being able to drive, afford, or even know where to go for more paint Tony and I go inside and play massive amounts of video games. That is the only game of paintball that we play for the rest of the year.

With springs warming breeze come paintballs purchased from K-mart.
Tony and I quickly go out to play paintball, this time we ignore moms ruling on shop goggles but promise not to aim for each others head. We play several games like this over the spring and first part of summer.

Mid summer we take a break and work hey fields and other odd jobs to afford our new habit. At this time we also begin talking to some of my neighbors about playing with us. Most are timid about getting shot the first time, this is where we start shooting each other in the back to get use to the pain.

By the end of summer I have saved enough to purchase my first new marker, a Brass Eagle Talon. With its gravity feed hopper and pump action its a big step up from the nelspot with its bolt action and stock feed. Summer continues and we play only one or two more games before winter sets in.

December 23 1997
Christmas Season is near and in two days I get to go to Florida and stay two weeks with my dad. Very exciting times. Tony is staying over till I leave and it isnt long before we get stir crazy. Its a warmer day, 34*, and we decide to call Andrew over to hang out with us. He suggest that we go play a game of paintball. TV and games are a little boring to us at this point so we figure out how to play. Four markers, 1 talon 3 nelspots, 3 people. 2vs1 seems to be the game but how to make it more even, give the 1 that talon.
Andrew and me get nelspots and Tony gets the talon. Since there is snow and it is a bit chilly we decide to play in and around the barn behind the house. As a mock saftey idea I decide to wear my sunglasses, they are the solid glass type, that means the only frams is on the top.

Tony gets pick on hunting or ambushing, he picks ambush. Me and Drew give him 5 minutes to go get situated, then we begin the hunt. We make our way around to the back of the barn believeing that to be Tony's hideing spot. Unsucsessful in this tactic we make our way into the barn via the back tractor door. We start makeing our way toward the room under the hey loft when Tony enters through the front tractor door. With no cover available Drew heads straight to the ladder leading up the loft and i take a shot at Tony, it misses and he shoots at Drew and recocks, I have still yet to reload. Realising my disadvantage I jump onto the ladder and climb up. Tony takes a shot that finds its way directly to my right butt cheak after that he runs into the room under the loft. Collecting ourselves Drew announces that he has been hit, I am also hit but revenge seems to be in order. My sunglasses begin to fog up and are removed. I make my way down the ladder and drew stay up hopeing for a vantage shot as Tony exits from the door he entered.

Standing on the ground level i make my way to the open door, the door is open into my room and provides a source of cover. I peak throught the crack in the door but dont have sight of Tony. Peaking around the door I hear the shot and duck quickly. I have no idea where he is but he is still in the room. I peak again this time when I hear the shot I see Tony and the paintball flying at me. This is the moment I learn of a paintballs true flight path as I watch it vear up toward my head. This is the last clear image I have ever seen.

druid
03-26-2006, 01:01 PM
(continued)

Now Ive been shot with paintballs countless times. Ive been the victim of point blank, bounce balling, hot shots, lit up, and the ever so famous intentional groin shot. All these times the feelings have been the same, sharp sting followed by a light burn and bruise like pain.

But this one time I felt nothing, I knew that I was shot in the eye, I knew that I had paint all over my face, but I felt none of it. In fact I didnt panic until I looked at my hand and saw it full of red paint. Instantly I knew it would be near impossible to tell if I was bleeding or not. Its aslo at this time that I notice not feeling my left side of my face. Did my eye explode and was I holding the juicy remains of it? Am I going to die from exteme nerve shock? Is it possible that there are tiny shell fragments near my brain? then i blinked. Talk about relief, its after I blink and convince myself that my eye is indeed in my head and that Im not going to die, this is also when I remember that Tony just shot me. Boy did I rip into him, I even made some new phrases that to this day are the most insulting and vile words that I have ever heard.

Makeing my way into the house was an interesting event, I couldnt walk a straight line, in fact I couldnt stand on my own. I got assistance into the house and too the kitchen sink where i proceed to rinse the paint out of my eye, Drew wakes my mom who is still sleeping from her midnight shift. She, of course, panics like a mother would but thankfully shes been a nurse longer than a mother.

To the hospital we go, what fun, normally a 30 minute drive we got there in 10. Tony rides with us and provides the best support and appolgy that he can muster, he's close to tears. To this day and all that I have gone through, I still have no idea what he really was feeling nor can I get him to talk about that ride. Once we arrive at the hospital I pass out.

Wakeing in an unfamilar room is never a good thing, especially when you cant open your eyes. The swelling has hit me full force and I am unable to open either of my eyes. If I was any less grogy Im certain that I would have gone into a total state of panic. Mom tells me that we are at the hospital and that they are trying to reach an eye specalist, tony is there and I think I hear crying. Again I lose consisness.

Awake, how long have I been out, what day is this, why cant I open my eyes, whats that noise. Possibly the most intense second of my life before I vomit and pass out again.

"Bob, Bob can you wake up?" I groan. "Bob we've given you an anti inflamitory can you open your eyes?" "It hurts." I respond. "Do you still have your contacts in Bob?" I honestly didnt know. "Listen Bob we have to make sure your contact is out. We have this device to remove your contact, Im going to open your eye with my hand and remove it ok" again i groan. I feel pressure somewhere on my face before I see light, intense light like when you leave the movie theater and the sun is shineing directly on your face. Then I feel the most intense pain that I have ever felt before scratching across my sensitve eye. Imagine if you can taking steel wool to all the sensitive areas of your body after you have just had your skinned burned off, that would be close to what I felt. "I didnt get anything, Ill try again" This time the pain is comparable to scrapeing your face off with a cheese greator. "Still nothing" I feel this intern, as ihe turns out to be, get ready for another pass over my overly sensitive eye. My mom "Do you even know what your doing?" his respose "Well I studied this type of proceedure some time ago" Tony "Stop it will ya, hes in enough pain, Im sure that the contact fell out when he rinsed" me "Im sure its not in my eye dont scrape it anymore." "One last pass Bob, ok" he says. This time I scream and before he gets his hand more than an inch away from my face I have grabbed his arm and pulled him ontop of me and Im told that I punch him in the ribs at this point. I dont remember because the effort again puts me out. Still not bad considering that I couldnt see and that I have no idea what this guy looks like.

to give you guys an idea what this contact removal device looks like.
l
/\
similar to a chicken claw was about what was scrapeing my eye.

druid
03-26-2006, 01:01 PM
(continued)
Awake
In a bed, fealing warm, face is numb but in a dentist feeling way, cant open eyes but thats because they are taped shut. Groan. I start moveing and wonder whats going on, I reach for my face when i hear an unfamilar voice, "Dont, touch the bandages." Is this a nurse, am I in a new room, I feel warm, maybe a blanket, oh god how long have I been out, what day is it, where is mom or tony.

Thats when they both say my name followed with the "How do you feel" line.
"What day is it?" I ask. They tell me its still the same Sunday that I got shot, weve only been at the hospital for an hour. The doctor is here and has already looked at the injurie the best she could, too much swelling still and the hospital is not properly equipt for this type of incodent. When asked why she explains that this type of trauma isnt usually in need of treatment since the patient is usually D.O.A. or dead soon after when the nerves begin to shut down from shock, comas are usually the best a person can hope for.

Well dont I suddenly feel better about just not being able to see. The doctor explains that I have had retina bleeding and that there are most likely some surface abrasions and possible muscle damage to just my left eye. Right now my face is swollen so bad that I cant open my right eye, both eyes are bandage shut to prevent any additional tearing that may occur with trying to open one eye. They will know more on the other damages in the morning when I got the eye care facility for a full exam.

For those of you who are actually reading this, here is an example of the risks of retina bleeding. Take a full water balloon (represents the eye), now grab a syringe full of milk (represents the bleeding). Poke the balloon with the needle and force the milk in. Now if the balloon pops at any point then your eye has exploded, if it doesnt then you have milky water that doesnt have much of a chance getting clear again. Nice thought to have with you, huh.

So Im released from hospital care to go home and try to sleep.
What Im not to do to prevent further injury...
- dont sneeze, the pressure can blow the eye out
- if I have to poop dont push, the pressure can blow the eye out
- dont bend over, changes pressure and can blow the eye out
- dont lift anything more than a pound, pressure and guess what
- dont have my head lower then my body, I wonder why, could it be pressure
- dont yell, notice the pattern of reasons
- dont sleep on my left side
- dont look toward any light source
- dont touch the eye and leave the bandages on

Mom drops off tony and we head home, I sleep. We get home and I realise that somehow I have to make my way up the stairs and too my room without being able to see, mom helps but with many bad jokes about leading me into the wrong room. I have no sense of humor at this point.

Now as horrible as Tony felt for shooting me and for how much pain I was in it never dawned on me to ask my mom how she was doing. Like any caring mother she was devistated and at this time tells me what one of my Christmas gifts was going to be, a paintball face mask. I chuckle because I already knew that since I was snooping in her closet looking for my gifts. The laugh cause a sudden pressure spike, ice pick to the brain feeling.

I dont sleep well that night.

btw: that warm feeling that I mentioned earlier, well it was from the vomit that covered my chest and the urine that escaped after passing out attacking the intern.

This post has been edited by 1-I: Dec 24 2005, 06:25 PM

druid
03-26-2006, 01:02 PM
(continued)
Now at the docs office my eye bandages are removed and a full exam is conducted. Total damages, torn iris, cataract, retna bleeding damages (bleeding has stopped), a strong chance of glaucoma and pressure problems. Most of you are wondering what all this means.

Cataract - eye lense is covered whith a milky film, similar to foggy day vision.
Retna bleeding - remember the balloon thing
Glaucoma - vision killing disease
pressure problems - well this takes some explaining and Im still not sure if I understand it. Eye pressure is meassured on a scale of 1 to 35. 1 is no pressure, this is evident in dead eyes removed from cadavers, 35 the eye totally explodes. Average human eye pressure is 10 to 12. Well mine was near 24 at the time. "Whats that mean?" you ask well sinus headaches are caused by sinuses causeing pressure to your eye and is measured around 14 to 15.
Torn Iris - this is the one that bugs me the most, your iris is the muscle that relaxes and flexes to open and close your pupil. The iris is the colored area of you eye. below are too badly made eye pictures the top is a normal eye the bottem is my eye. Black circle is the pupil and the lines represent the muscle formation.

(picture unable to be copied...sorry)

Now what does this mean for me, well the muscle cant work right being all messed up like that so my pupil cant adjust to light. Sunglasses are a necesstiy to my life because of this.
Ok damage assesment is done now time to heal. The iris is beyond repair, the cataract can be removed as well as my natural lense and the ability to focus, the bleeding will eventually clear up unless it starts bleeding again, and glaucoma hasnt started yet but can at anytime. The bright side, I should be dead or at least have a hole where an eye used to sit.

Like a vietnam vet that has just lost his legs and is told hes lucky to be alive, I am not very comforted by the news. My trip to Florida to visit my dad, who I only see one week a year if Im very lucky, cancelled. Bed rest for the next month. I can make one trip up stairs a day, since the bathroom is upstairs I guess I know what that one trip will be used for, the rest of the time a bucket will have to suffice. That whole list of dont's still aplies. In a few months surgery to remove the cataract lense can be performed if they eye is healthy enough and no glaucoma is present. Reading is a bad idea since it involves rapid eye movement to scan pages. TV is ok as long as its not too flashy to hurt my eyes.

So two weeks of winter break is shot with bed rest and daily doc visits, first two weeks of school is gone as well. Finally able to get up and move I still have to take it easy. One of the biggest adjustments for me was the sudden lack of debth perception. This is tough to imagine for all of you so to sorta simulate the experience block off one of your eyes and spend the day walking around, writing, reading, and tring to use the bathroom.

I am able to get the cataract lense removed and an artifical one is put into place, the ability to focus with both eyes is gone. For those of you still playing my little games grab some 2x binoculars or a monocluar or scope and put it up to one eye, keep the other eye open and walk around your house. You get used to that after a while but the headache stays with you.
I have named that headache, Herbert. It just seems to help to talk to it.
Reading gets really tough.

I eventually learn to keep my left eye closed and my right open that that can be difficult to do all day long. After some time my mind learns to mostly ingnore the signals sent from my left eye and religh on my right.

The spring of 1998 I get back outside to play paintball, this time all my friends have face masks and some stern rules are set.

So its Christmas eve 2005 and I have just finished reading all that I just wrote. So what have I learned and what has changed from seven years of handicapt vision and a near death experience.

First off, the headache named Herbert isnt so strong, In fact I dont notice it that much any more. The iris is of course still torn and therefor many light sources still bother me, Ive adjusted to indoor light settings well enough and I can tolorate periods of time in sunlight, still sunglasses are always near me and I dont go without them unless I must. The orginal cataract is gone but a secondary has formed over the artifical lense, this can be cleared with a laser procedure that will zap it clean, someone remind me to make that appointment. No glaucoma yet but I still got a better chance than all of you combined.

As far as learning experience goes, well warning lables are a good thing to read. Also there are leasons to be learned in everything and you damm well better learn them. My mom has forgiven herself and Tony is still trying. Ive realised that I was once the idiot that I claim to hate. The entire event is now almost a joke to us but never will totally be funny.

As far as outlaw paintball, I still play it that way. Some base rules for ever outlaw game I participate in.
1- clear marked boundries for play and between games, these areas are to be well seperated and know to all who play.
2- chronie all markers
3- break the rules and get an earfull about it from me, please note screaming isnt a problem for me and I do it well. also banishment from games with me and I will inform local fields about you and discourage your presence if necissary.
4- facemask on no matter what.

druid
03-26-2006, 01:08 PM
and the article was concluded with this....

This thread was made at the request of HeadshotJester who, like many of us, has concerns with some of our younger players getting hurt.

I posted all of this to be a reminder that as great as our game is there are risks and that they should not be ignored. If the above can help keep any of you safe then it has been worth my time to write all of it.

If any of you have any questions feel free to post them or PM me. I am willing to talk about my injury if it can help prevent any more like it.
If you know anyone that is playing unsafe paintball then I urge you to get them to read this thread.

Hope this helps someone in some way.

EDIT: 27 Mar 06
My personal addition...

This should also say something about the importance of replacing leses once a yer... regardless of it's visual condition. Just because they're not scratched, cracked or even took a direct hit...doesn't mean an old lense can't fail.
Instead of worrying about the latest, coolest and most expensive mask out there, get a nice mid-range that fits well and a replacement lense right away. If you are a sponsored team, get the sponsors to spring for extra lenses instead of the dumb stuff...make safety your and their primary concern.

TheRedBarron
03-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Excellent post druid, I will keep an eye on it for you, if anyone is being a smartass "TLDR" lmk instead of taking care of it yourself. This is a post that should be read in its entirety.

druid
03-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks Barron. I won't handle it myself but I personally think this should be stickied and introduced to every thread...but that's just me...

druid

15June06 - found another regarding Scott Goggles. It's fairly old but still worthwhile....
http://www.tippmann.com/forum/wwf77a/forum_posts.asp?TID=156183&KW=phil%5Fstl

by phil_stl of Tippman Forum

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><FONT color=white>This is a story about me getting shot in the eye while wearing the Scott mask. I will then tell you about my special customization mod for this mask.

claustrophobia9
03-26-2006, 01:46 PM
ok, that was long and i almost didnt read it, but im glad i did, even though i have a bit of a stomache ache from the graphic-ness.

i vote sticky. never take goggles off when its not safe guys.

bomberpilot07
03-26-2006, 01:54 PM
this is what everyone needs to read... good post

ooglieboogliebob
03-26-2006, 02:20 PM
... I think im a slow reader .... and im all dizzy now .. i really should get a better screen :p

But yeah, i agree .. IMO this is worthy of being stickied ...

TheRedBarron
03-26-2006, 02:45 PM
if it is stickied it wont get read...

claustrophobia9
03-26-2006, 03:04 PM
if it is stickied it wont get read...
hmmm... good point.... ill just give it a good rating

thechubbss12
03-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Ahh good point along with a good post.

NB_Hacker_NB
03-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Wats tldr? (That brought tears to my eyes from an accident with my cousins gun...he dropped his gun and he has a 25 gram switch so the gun went off and hit right below his eye...on the skin part where the bone is...he wont loose his eye but wont be able to see straight...)

DyNasty9
03-26-2006, 05:42 PM
wow. great post. i tried reading some of that with one eye close, got a headache now, but it was for a good reason.

Team Ramrod
03-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Great post, everyone should read this.

claustrophobia9
03-26-2006, 05:53 PM
wow. great post. i tried reading some of that with one eye close, got a headache now, but it was for a good reason.
i didnt get a headache reading one-eyed, the out of focus thing gives me a headache though.

03TiburonGT
03-26-2006, 06:59 PM
I scrolled over it and realized it was huge. Then I started reading it and didn't stop. Thank you for sharing this story with me, I know now that I will be MUCH more carefull when it comes to goggle safety. Gash that was pretty gruesome

druid
03-26-2006, 07:54 PM
...well, I ran into sort of a problem at my (renegade) field a while back and I wish that i had found this article sooner...
The situation was this:
I work in a prison and a bunch of guys there also play. One guy inherited 70 acres of farmland from his family and we converted a small section of woods to a field. It's not much to speak of but it's ours.
Long story short, 3 people (I'm one) are allowed to hunt the land and it turns out that one is a taxidermist and the other is a contractor. These two guys have sons and all 4 play paintball...cool.
We all got together for a weekender of paintball last summer...camping, beer (soda for kids)and pizza. The children, 12 and 14 are friends from school. I get there chrono in hand and they are looking at me in astonishment...ok, they've never chronoed. I get everyone to 280 fps and we play. I was outted early the first game and just kinda 'reffed' the others (as we normally do) in play and noticed that the one kid was pulling his mask forward and off his face. I yelled at him to keep his mask on and he looked at me like I had a 3rd eye in the middle of my growing forehead. The second time, I had enough. I halted the game. Everyone's like "WTF??" and I had everyone go back to the trucks. Rocky, a fellow officer, always eats grapes and asked him for a few. He knew where I was going with this and agreed. The fathers were curious but patient as well. I started in that I "saw it twice and I didn't think that [the person] understood just what an eye-strike could do. I held up the grape in between my index finger and thumb and said "...this is your eye when it's hit with a paintball..." as I proceded to pop it between my fingers. The kid looked like he was going to puke. Good. I had to explain that 280 fps is just over 200 mph and got out my chart as proof. Then came the big lecture on masks, goggles, safety in general. The kid that did it started to complain about mask fogging...ok, fine. I asked to see his mask...a scott single pane. I asked him if he ever thought to ask if anyone had spray of a spare set of goggles and he said "no." I went to my van and got him my NVader thermals to use the rest of the day. I said to the 2 fathers that I wouldn't apologize for enforcing everyone's safety and they were extremely glad about my actions. They hunt and know similar dangers and never said a word contrary.

Kids aren't thinking today...they don't realize the potential danger. If we don't insist on maintaining safety, this ^^ stuff is going to keep happening.

Since then, I started bringing eggs to the field when I knew we were having new peeps there. I'd sit down and give 'the speech', then point them to the raw egg setting 25' away on an orange traffic cone...then shoot it with a paintball. It gets the point across...quickly...

bamf-hacker
03-27-2006, 05:22 AM
Awesome article Druid... Thanks for posting it.

Long read but very worth it.

HacKeR

Headshotted
03-27-2006, 05:32 AM
That was a really good article, Sticky It. It should be posted Everywhere.

~shocktheman~
03-27-2006, 09:04 AM
ditto for me, It was a good article. Really drives home the importance of goggles. Kind of a second reminder of what'll happen for me, a friend is blind in his left eye from taking his mask off in a game. So the point is kids.....don't be a dumbarse.

NB_Hacker_NB
03-27-2006, 09:14 AM
(Still doesn't know what a tldr is.) :rolleyes:

durrell
03-27-2006, 10:05 AM
tl;dr = too long didnt read

Great article, I believe in very strict eye protection rules because I myself have been blind in one eye for my entire life, so I have to protect my working eye no matter what..eye protection is very importanty guys, ALWAYS stress it to your newbie friends or your regular playing friends..

TheRedBarron
03-27-2006, 10:29 AM
I have had to dive ontop of noobs at the feild because when they are out they take their masks off. I have seen first hand what can happen and its not pretty. this article does a great job depicting it..

durrell
03-27-2006, 11:44 AM
I've had kids at my field run off the break with their masks off..it's scary to think about..

UKwithPride
03-27-2006, 01:23 PM
My friend shot himself in the eye...

vwjimmy
03-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Great story....except for 1-i! Its great he shared it. The first ACS bolt I got was a top cocker and it didn't take long for it to pop the end plug off the velosity adjuster....I wasn't in a game...just me in my backyard.....it cracked the lense of the JT cheapos I was wearing but not a scratch on me! Just goes to show you that your facemask is a MUST any time you air up your marker!!! Thanks D! :cool:

druid
04-22-2006, 11:45 AM
bump

WhatThaSmurf
04-23-2006, 07:44 PM
good bump timing, didn't see this before. Read the whole thing, good article. I may have some friends stupid enough to not wear the whole mask, but at least they wear the google part (i think they are idiots for not protecting their faces). one of them gets shot in the goggles at least once every time we play.

druid
04-24-2006, 12:44 AM
if one of them get's shot in the ear, say goodbye to their ear drum....tell them to grow up and not be chuckleheads all their lives...from me.

DRAGON
04-24-2006, 02:08 AM
What gets me is your boys have the same consistency as youe eyes do yet everybody seems to make excuses why they don't take precautions to protect them. It's too uncomfortable, it leaves red marks, waaa, waaa bla bla bla. I suppose mother nature has it's way of assuring that only certain people reproduce. What is it......natural selection? - :smirk:

bamf-hacker
04-24-2006, 04:49 AM
I was at the field and heard a kid tell the ref he took off his goggles because he looked stupid...... The ref told him look around, everyone is wearing goggles so we all look stupid together and then kicked him out of the park.

What was he thinking, he was going to pick up one the Army clad, dirty, covered in paint guys :)

Again Druid, AWESOME POST!!!!

PLEASE DO NOT STICKY THIS THREAD. IT WILL NEVER BE READ. Just bump it once a week!!

HacKeR

druid
04-24-2006, 11:55 AM
What gets me is your boys have the same consistency as youe eyes do yet everybody seems to make excuses why they don't take precautions to protect them. It's too uncomfortable, it leaves red marks, waaa, waaa bla bla bla. I suppose mother nature has it's way of assuring that only certain people reproduce. What is it......natural selection? - :smirk:

I wrap my 'boyz' in a blanket...well...hang a terry-cloth towel in front...tucked in my waist band like an Apache loin-cloth, anyway. It works very well and no need for cup/supporter

WhatThaSmurf
04-25-2006, 03:15 PM
if one of them get's shot in the ear, say goodbye to their ear drum....tell them to grow up and not be chuckleheads all their lives...from me.
one of them did, but not directly, a tad bit in front of it. said it was still ringing a few hours later. i shot him right next to his mouth once, and it looked like he had herpes from the welt:D

electraballr
04-30-2006, 08:32 AM
me too. maybe if u go to sticky you should make a long story short (hehea).

druid
04-30-2006, 01:14 PM
if it's made into a sticky, no one will ever read it :dodgy:

Nicolich
05-01-2006, 11:16 PM
wow i will never even attempt to remove my goggles while on the field again. This is a truly inspiring thread, and all the posts.

druid
05-14-2006, 07:43 PM
^
^^
^^^
^^^^
^^
^^

Tk-421
05-15-2006, 08:21 AM
I have a friend at work who took a round to the eye and now its permentaly dielated because he lifted his mask up

TheTownIdiot
05-16-2006, 08:41 AM
wow, very very good post druid. im glad i took the time to read that whole thing. it is also very descriptive of the situation.

newkid
05-17-2006, 07:13 AM
my brother's friend's cousin got shot in the eye and had to get a glass one put in

pman15
05-17-2006, 06:14 PM
ya great post druid:waytogo: now if i can just tell my retarded friend to stop shooting his paintball gun at me and he almost hits me on purpose and i'm not wearing a mask!:mad:

druid
05-17-2006, 07:28 PM
print it out and give him a copy, then demonstrate the egg visualization

druid
06-15-2006, 11:29 AM
added this to the top......

created by phil-stl of Tippman Forums. A warning about Scott masks. It's fairly old...but appropriate to the topic...
http://www.tippmann.com/forum/wwf77a/forum_posts.asp?TID=156183&KW=phil%5Fstl

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><FONT color=white>This is a story about me getting shot in the eye while wearing the Scott mask. I will then tell you about my special customization mod for this mask.

STRIKEFIRST
07-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Great post...Man that goes to my friends church (We b old...in our 30's) came home and caught his young sons in the yard playing 1 on 1 (its a family sport in there house) without masks...he goes out the back door to yell at his boys and takes one in the side of his nose...the impact detached the retina from his right eye.

splaturout
07-04-2006, 05:28 AM
Dye Or Eye!! (I have a dye mask, get it!) {hehehe} Great Article! I just don't get people sometime. Why would you ever run the risk of not being able to see your significant othr again? your kids growing up? being able to drive? Or most importantly being able to aim during a game?

I think anyone caught taking off their mask during a game should have to play butt's up with both entire teams getting an open shot at the person!

M80
07-04-2006, 03:31 PM
it wouldnt hurt that bad!

splaturout
07-07-2006, 04:08 AM
bumpy McBuperton!

Ace24
07-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Dye Or Eye!! (I have a dye mask, get it!) {hehehe} Great Article! I just don't get people sometime. Why would you ever run the risk of not being able to see your significant othr again? your kids growing up? being able to drive? Or most importantly being able to aim during a game?

I think anyone caught taking off their mask during a game should have to play butt's up with both entire teams getting an open shot at the person!

That happened to me once... just... my team shot be my mistake and the other team took advantage of my ass poking out the side of the bunker and ripped me a new one...

MadMan66
07-13-2006, 04:48 PM
great post, i will tell all my friends

GFXAddict
07-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Sounds Horrible. Id be terrified to play with my mask off. Very good post.

TheRogueGnome
07-17-2006, 07:16 AM
i got hit in the ear with a mask on and it rand that ear for abotu 30 minutes..much less without it.

viseversa2303
07-19-2006, 03:08 PM
crazy post i got yelled at plenty of times for taking off my mast but now i see why

splaturout
08-17-2006, 03:18 AM
Bump..please read the story!!!

Nenkitsune
08-17-2006, 08:03 AM
i kinda think this needs a stickie.
anyways, great post. i think any time someone tries to shoot people w/o masks or play without one desereves an 800 round firing squad XP

splaturout
08-17-2006, 02:12 PM
If it get sticky'd no one would read it. as said before

TheRedBarron
08-17-2006, 02:23 PM
You do not up a non sales thread no matter how important it is...

splaturout
08-17-2006, 02:33 PM
why not?

TheRedBarron
08-17-2006, 03:53 PM
because if everyone upped every thread that they felt was important then we would have 3 pages of old threads that people upped constantly because they felt they were important and the new threads would get lost in the meantime.

shunut
08-17-2006, 04:13 PM
because if everyone upped every thread that they felt was important then we would have 3 pages of old threads that people upped constantly because they felt they were important and the new threads would get lost in the meantime, AND THIS PLACE WOULD BE MORE LIKE PBN.

fixed it for you red.

splaturout
08-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Again Druid, AWESOME POST!!!!

PLEASE DO NOT STICKY THIS THREAD. IT WILL NEVER BE READ. Just bump it once a week!!

HacKeR

hmmmm....from a mod.....so who do I listen to? :rolleyes:

WhatThaSmurf
08-17-2006, 05:54 PM
With all due respect to Bamf, that was before he was a mod.:dodgy:

splaturout
08-17-2006, 06:00 PM
With all due respect he earned his way into being a mod by being a leading example! So he must be doing something right.

WhatThaSmurf
08-17-2006, 06:08 PM
I forgot my dodgy, sorry. Fixed it.

TheRedBarron
08-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Well you can say what you must but this is a warning next person to bump a non sales thread will get another warning. However next person to bump this thread will get a 1 day temp ban. I was going to let it go but your trying to be a smartass now.

bamf-hacker
08-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks Barron....

I concur with you, my post was in haste.

MadMan66
11-19-2006, 03:00 PM
i was reading a post and another person said they were playing without a mask. SO READ THIS THREAD ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!! i just don't want to read about another person going blind cause of paintball.

Oscum Guy
11-23-2006, 05:03 PM
...well, I ran into sort of a problem at my (renegade) field a while back and I wish that i had found this article sooner...
The situation was this:
I work in a prison and a bunch of guys there also play. One guy inherited 70 acres of farmland from his family and we converted a small section of woods to a field. It's not much to speak of but it's ours.
Long story short, 3 people (I'm one) are allowed to hunt the land and it turns out that one is a taxidermist and the other is a contractor. These two guys have sons and all 4 play paintball...cool.
We all got together for a weekender of paintball last summer...camping, beer (soda for kids)and pizza. The children, 12 and 14 are friends from school. I get there chrono in hand and they are looking at me in astonishment...ok, they've never chronoed. I get everyone to 280 fps and we play. I was outted early the first game and just kinda 'reffed' the others (as we normally do) in play and noticed that the one kid was pulling his mask forward and off his face. I yelled at him to keep his mask on and he looked at me like I had a 3rd eye in the middle of my growing forehead. The second time, I had enough. I halted the game. Everyone's like "WTF??" and I had everyone go back to the trucks. Rocky, a fellow officer, always eats grapes and asked him for a few. He knew where I was going with this and agreed. The fathers were curious but patient as well. I started in that I "saw it twice and I didn't think that [the person] understood just what an eye-strike could do. I held up the grape in between my index finger and thumb and said "...this is your eye when it's hit with a paintball..." as I proceded to pop it between my fingers. The kid looked like he was going to puke. Good. I had to explain that 280 fps is just over 200 mph and got out my chart as proof. Then came the big lecture on masks, goggles, safety in general. The kid that did it started to complain about mask fogging...ok, fine. I asked to see his mask...a scott single pane. I asked him if he ever thought to ask if anyone had spray of a spare set of goggles and he said "no." I went to my van and got him my NVader thermals to use the rest of the day. I said to the 2 fathers that I wouldn't apologize for enforcing everyone's safety and they were extremely glad about my actions. They hunt and know similar dangers and never said a word contrary.

Kids aren't thinking today...they don't realize the potential danger. If we don't insist on maintaining safety, this ^^ stuff is going to keep happening.

Since then, I started bringing eggs to the field when I knew we were having new peeps there. I'd sit down and give 'the speech', then point them to the raw egg setting 25' away on an orange traffic cone...then shoot it with a paintball. It gets the point across...quickly...
mask fogging is annoying but you shouldnt take your mask off for it. i agree 100%. people should buy better masks and companies shouldnt make crap ones. i used to have a $20 jt peice of crap and it fogged all of the time, but i didnt take my mask off for it. ok, maybe i did pull it forward from my face and stick my sleeve in it, but that doesnt count. when i got my proto switch, i couldnt believe how much better it was. which brings me to another point: why do dye product cost so much more thatn proto?

Ace24
11-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Ugh guys. Old thread.

But since it was brought back.... As a reff I see this alot.

Our job is to run in there and grab the kids head, if he likes it or not, and stuff it into our chest making sure his face doesnt get hit. You feel like a presidential guard doing it, and I've saved a few kids. Just at the moment when I dove to bock their faces, paintballs hit me in the back in the same spot their faces would have been.

Every time I reff, I bring in a photo of a guys eye that was shot by a paintball. It usually proves my point. But like Druid said, its always "My goggles were fogging."

We've had some hispanic kids (not being ratial at all, but its always this group of kids) that take their masks off, run around with out them, and try to stand on the side of the field with them ontop of their heads telling their team mates where people are. Whats scary is being 5'9" and 142lbs trying to boss grown men and built teens to put their masks down and forcing them off the field.

A few reffs and myself were talking about bringing in some black duct tape and asking the players wich eye. Not telling them what we were going to do, but after seeing them raise their mask, slap it over the eye they say and telling them to play like that for a few games. We also would tell them to walk around the staging area with it on too and see how life is with one eye. It somewhat puts a point across.

Good luck to those out there like Druid who are trying to put the point across to the ignorant. SPREAD THE WORD!

Hob Hayward
11-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Old threadness doesn't matter, this ones important.

kidonfire
11-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Yes, I don't know why this hasn't been stickied. It's probably the most important topic here.

calebh
11-25-2006, 06:43 PM
wow, people really dont read do they... for at least the third time, if it was stickied, no one would ever read it...

but, i do agree that this is probly the most important thread around, and the occasional bump couldnt hurt. heck, maybe we could bump it into the newspapers so everyone gets a dose. its not the people on this board that need this message (i hope), its all the ppl who go out just to have a good time without thinking. idiots. (them, not you guys :P ) but then again, they arent usually the type to read the papers...

darth massacre
11-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Hi guys, rather new around these parts. Agree completely - Every single one of the forums I am active in, no one bothers to read the stickies. This is probably the most important safety rule out there.

I've always known the dangers of shooting, either with a firearm, paintball marker or in archery - did all of them. But I think the single most important article that made me aware that **** happened to people before lessons were learned - was the same article on why you should keep goggles on in APG magazine. This was a few years back - it even had a diagram of how a paintball could pop the eye from various directions. They also had various stories about how crowds - nevermind players - getting blinded by stray shots because they took off their masks when watching the game on the sides.

I also used to work on the only paintball field in Singapore and we did come close to blows with several of our "clients" - not all of them kids - for taking their masks off. My boss doesn't scrimp on cheap masks and they don't fog - but most people take them off because its "too hot" and they "couldn't breathe". I am very impressed with druid's grape and egg demo and I will suggest my former employer and now good friend to try the same. If that doesn't get them thinking, then they probably deserve to be blind if they got shot in the eye.

I'm also curious about the enforcement of such rules on various paintball fields. I've seen players wearing ONLY a pair of JT motocross goggles - they're not even paintball/ballistic rated. I question the wisdom of allowing the person to play on, but I guess you sign away many things when you sign that waiver form. I wouldn't want a paintball to the face - let alone the eyes.

People have no common sense - if a safety rule is in place, that means people had gotten hurt from it badly enough (or died) to get the rule written down in stone.

Oh and I gotta add this - its not that kids these days don't think. Kids never think.

druid
11-25-2006, 11:31 PM
.....If that doesn't get them thinking, then they probably deserve to be blind if they got shot in the eye.
I must disagree in that no one should ever 'deserve' to go blind. I would much rather see a torn cheek or split earlobe because they can generally be fixed with stiches...blind is blind and is forever.

I'm also curious about the enforcement of such rules on various paintball fields. I've seen players wearing ONLY a pair of JT motocross goggles - they're not even paintball/ballistic rated. I question the wisdom of allowing the person to play on, but I guess you sign away many things when you sign that waiver form. I wouldn't want a paintball to the face - let alone the eyes.
Some of us started when "shop goggles" were the only required protection. To many, they are still "good enough"...even though they really aren't. At most local fields, there are stipulations that protective goggles include the proper goggle and accompanying face shields and ear covers. This is generally an insurance requirement for the field and is strictly enforced by most, if not all.
People have no common sense - if a safety rule is in place, that means people had gotten hurt from it badly enough (or died) to get the rule written down in stone.
sadly, this is true. There are warning labels on everything...hair dryer - "do not use in shower"; Preparation H-"do not take orally" (heard that one from a comedian); coffee lid - "Caution HOT" and so forth. Sadly, people are morons and don't think.
Oh and I gotta add this - its not that kids these days don't think. Kids never think.

It's not just kids...it's adults, young adults and kids who think they know better or just don't care.....until it's too late.

darth massacre
11-26-2006, 01:47 AM
It's not just kids...it's adults, young adults and kids who think they know better or just don't care.....until it's too late.
Yeah that I agree - people who care put their butt on the line and it won't be appreciated until someone gets hurt.

Regarding the previous comment, sometimes you try your best but if they wanna be dumb while you're not looking their way then it couldn't be helped. Personally I've not seen anyone dumb enough yet - most of the time people understand and cooperate out of concern for their own safety. I know a lot of fields get players who remove their masks to sit out for a game and would be banned (with a refund in certain cases) if they did it twice. When you take time to explain and take precautions and **** still happens - I really don't know what to say.

Anyway this is a very good topic, I'd like to thank you for starting it - maybe we should come up with more ideas to demo to new players and veteran players who needs a reminder of what happens when paintballs hit eyeballs.

druid
11-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I know a lot of fields get players who remove their masks to sit out for a game and would be banned (with a refund in certain cases) if they did it twice.
The fields around here are like that. I'd think the severity of their punishment is commensurate to their insurance premiums. The bigger the field, the more (I'd think) they'd pay...and then pay out for claims...
Anyway this is a very good topic, I'd like to thank you for starting it -
yes it is and I'd like to thank all of you for reading it but credit must go to the username "1-eye" from the "SpecOps" forum. The initial article is his posting about what happened to him. All I did is copy and paste it with permission.
maybe we should come up with more ideas to demo to new players and veteran players who needs a reminder of what happens when paintballs hit eyeballs.

I'd say any object that has the same resiliency (or slightly more) as an eyeball...like...a meaty tomato, thinner shelled melon, piece of poster board...something similar...

kidonfire
11-26-2006, 02:59 PM
wow, people really dont read do they... for at least the third time, if it was stickied, no one would ever read it...

Well, I don't really feel like reading through eight pages of posts.....

Anyway, At my field is if you break any of the rules you sit out for a game. Do it again, your gone for the day. I think it should be that for everything else except for taking your mask off. I think it should be one and your gone.

fxdbi
12-18-2006, 08:56 AM
I know this post is kind of late on this thread - but the second time I went out paintballing, my step-sons went with me (actually most of the church youth group went). The rules were covered - boundaries, safety equipment, safe zones, marker control.

Well, on the second or third round, my youngest step-son (who really has some issues with authority) is having some issues with his mask being fogged and not sitting the same way it was the first round. So he proceeds to pull it out from his face and try to move it around. At this point one of his team mates yells to him to leave it alone and if it doesn't feel right to leave it on, put his marker up (our sign for saying you are out) in the air and leave the field. My step-son tells him he needs it adjusted is all. (Myself and three other adults hear this because we were about 30 yards away getting ready to ambush their group) Again, the kid tell's him to leave it alone and that if it needs fixed to leave the field - I am already on my way over to him to rip into him as is the group leader. On the way over there the kid yells to my step-son to put his mask back on and to leave the field - to which my step-son replies he is fixing it and almost has it situated.

Too late.

I am there and the group leader is there I told him to leave the field - to which he wanted to argue with me - so I physically removed him from the field, and he went back to the staging zone by the vehicles and was done for the day. He also got quite an earfull from his uncle who was playing that game, and when we got home he got an ear full from me to the point he understood exactly what was wrong with what he was doing (even partially lifting a mask off to let air in is highly unsafe) and if the safety equipment is not fitting or working properly - excuse yourself from that round - get it checked, get it fixed, get it replaced, even if that means not playing the rest of the day if it cannot be remedied. He also understands that the field is not the place to make adjustments - that is done in the staging area and if it is not fitting or feeling how it should you should not step foot on to the field.

To that extent, he understood finally, why we did it. Not because we wanted to ruin fun, or be jerks - but because everyone, including the fellow teen from the youth group, cared for his safety to ensure that the game was in fact fun and void of dangerous or life threatening injuries.

druid
12-18-2006, 08:01 PM
fx...that's why I have 4 masks with me (in car) at all times.

Nenkitsune
12-18-2006, 08:07 PM
the most i do to my mask on the feild is adjust how tight it is, which i can do without taking it off. i found that the tighter i can get it on my face, the less fog i get