PDA

View Full Version : Important

marvin-martian
06-28-2012, 08:55 PM
You are in a fight to the death with someone your size and can choose between a baseball bat and a knife as a weapon. What would you pick knowing that the other person gets what you don't choose?

bigred76
06-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Knife. Baseball bats are unwieldy compared to one. A shattered arm will heal, a knife into the chest cavity several times will not.

marvin-martian
06-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Agree with knife. You can get inside easily and can even absorb a bat swing if that should happen.

shunut
06-29-2012, 06:12 AM
You can strike from further away with a baseball bat.

vikingshadow
06-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Distance is key in my opinion - a knife requires close proximity which, if the opponent is smart, can end up not so safe. You can end up with major head and vital organ damage with the bat. Plus, you have to be quick because you won't be able to stay in close for very long and have to be VERY accurate hitting something that will stop your opponent.

A bat can be used to crush, jab, and push. Disarm your opponent by breaking an arm or hand, or shoulder, or anything, and you see yourself with both a bat AND a knife!

I choose bat.

marvin-martian
06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
My issue with the bat is that it is more unwieldy and easier to be pushed to the side. If the knife waits for a poke or swing or something, any opening, he can rush in and close the distance to where the bat is useless. You can just juke and bob your way past the bat.

bigred76
06-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Marv is right, you can deflect the bat with your forearm and sustain minimal damage while moving in close with the knife. The bat takes a more obvious move to get it ready to strike, so the knife user also has a lead time on top of a quicker weapon.

shunut
06-30-2012, 06:20 AM
You can deflect a bat with your arm and sustain minimal damage? Really? I guess that all depends on who is swinging the bat and what type of bat it is. Deflect a Louisville Slugger swung by someone like Albert Pujols and tell me you have sustained minimal damage. Heck, when I was 9-10 I hit my brother in the head with a full size, wooden bat, completely on accident, he walked up behind me as I was swinging, caught him on the back swing. Knocked him out and he ended up needing 8 stitches, still has the scar. I was like 4'6" and probably weighed 70 lbs.

I would love to swing a bat at your guys forearm and see how minimal the damage is and how easily you are able to deflect it and continue fighting.

marvin-martian
06-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Implying a swing like that is instantaneous and im going to stand still for it and not move in to make it less effective. Implying in a fight to the death im going to give up with a broken forearm. I know bats cause damage, I caught a backswing when I was 8ish at a game in the middle of my back and I dropped.

UKwithPride
06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
But you're also implying that you will be able to dodge the swing. There's too many factors involved lying underneath the initial choice of bat or knife. Even if you get past the swing of the bat, are you confident that you're going to strike a critical point using that knife? With a stab or a slice? What happens after that initial strike if one entry doesn't take that person down? Now you just increased the guys adrenaline and he's about to go PCP mode on you and smash your face in. I can see avoiding this if you're trained in close quarters combat, but for the average person, is the knife really the better choice?

marvin-martian
06-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Multiple stabs to the mid section = less of a factor on the ground which is where this is ending up.

shunut
07-01-2012, 06:34 AM
Multiple stabs to the mid section = less of a factor on the ground which is where this is ending up.
I'm not going to the ground, I'm keeping you as far away from me as possible.

You guys keep saying, I'll block the bat swing, I'll dodge the bat swing. I can say I'll do the same when you come at me with a knife. With a bat it would be way easier for me to keep you further away from me. And despite what you think about blocking a bat with your arm, if I land a blow anywhere on you with a bat, you aren't gonna just be able to shrug it off and continue like nothing happen.

I'll take the bat all day long.

marvin-martian
07-01-2012, 06:52 AM
All im saying is that the bat is only useful at a certain distance, and breaking that threshold only takes a small calculation and two steps.

UKwithPride
07-01-2012, 10:10 AM
There's just too many factors that surround both choices to make a logical decision about it. I say, send it to Mythbusters! ;)

They just did one with a gun vs. a knife.

shunut
07-01-2012, 10:51 AM
All im saying is that the bat is only useful at a certain distance, and breaking that threshold only takes a small calculation and two steps.

And all I'm saying, is I would never let anybody get in that close. Your arguments for the knife make it sound like to person with the bat is a moron and won't try to evade you. If I have the bat, I'm not just going to be swinging haphazardly. I'm going to be just as selective as you are saying you would be with the knife. I'm going to make sure all my swings count, and I'm going to do everything in my power not to let get close to me. My first objective would be to swing at the hand your holding that knife in. I connect, and you lose that knife, you're done.

In the end UK is right, there are too many variables to say one or the other is better.

battlechaser
07-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I dunno, I'd be taking my chances with the bat going for a midsection hit.

If I break your arm you still have an arm to swing with. If I break a rib, you aren't going to be moving too fast. A brisk walk and I'm out of that situation. :P

vikingshadow
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
I'd still go with a bat. First, it'd allow me to keep YOU away from me (at a distance). Second, I'm pretty damn strong. IF I connect, you aren't deflecting it. It will break something or put it to sleep so you can't use it. Third, you're implying that I'm just wildly swinging. A real fighter won't do that. He'd pick his shots, and have just as many openings as the guy with the knife. As i said before, you're going to have to be quick and perfect to hit an organ to slow me down. Finally, you can do more with a bat than just swing it. You can deflect with it, you can block with it, you can jab with it, you can push with it.

A knife? To use it effectively you have to get close and you can only slash or stick. It's small, too. If you're lucky, or a master trained knife wielder, you MIGHT hit something vital and slow the person down - but that would be right before the guy hit you in the head and beat you to death with the bat.

Baseball bat, all day long.

bigred76
07-02-2012, 01:36 AM
I'm assuming the use of a high quality 3.5-4" pocket knife. Granted, I did say minimal, but what I meant was minimal compared to a direct hit. It is a fact that a grazing blow deals far less damage than a direct one. However, with a knife, a glancing blow can result in nearly as bad of an injury. The arteries in the wrist, for instance, if the aim was for the forearm. If you can grab the bat and pull your assailant in, even while sustaining a broken hand, it may be possible to land blows with the knife to the chest, arms, face, throat, etc.

It all depends on an individual's pain tolerance and strength in the end, and like Dan said, there are too many variables.

TheDarkShadow
07-02-2012, 04:59 PM
For the average person, the smart choice would be the bat since the majority of people arent trained for close combat and probably havent tried to attack someone with a knife but most people have swung a bat.

for someone trained for close combat and martial arts, the knife could be a better choice since they may be able to absorb a couple blows while hitting a vital area with the knife.

marvin-martian
07-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Bombcast 06-26-2012 Animated Excerpt - Bats or Blades, Nose Law, Booger Flicking, and the name Rex. - YouTube

big_daddy_d
08-30-2012, 05:20 PM
I have to go with knife, of you can close the distance you can control the opponent and finish the fight

VagabondStarJXF
09-20-2012, 07:01 PM
What kind of knife and what kind of bat? And what sort of locale would this hypothetical fight be in? Are we talking about a fight in a clear, level, open space (like a gladiatorial arena), or a street fight, or a fight inside a building? There's so many factors that affect the choice. For me, personally, I'd feel more comfortable with a good sized knife over something like a cricket or rounders bat but if the bat is a full sized baseball bat I'd probably take that.

Assuming the arena is clear and level, that my opponent is as lacking in experience and training as I am, that the knife is a single straight edge and as big as a large chef's knife and that the bat is a full sized baseball bat made of metal, and also assuming that the weapons are chosen before entry into the arena... I'd probably err on the side of caution and pick the bat. The extra reach just pips the decision. Then I could walk calmly toward my opponent, gauging his approach, calculating possible actions of attack and defence.

If the weapons are the same but are placed on the ground exactly in the middle between me and my opponent and assuming that the fight can't be started until a weapon is held... I'll pick the knife and hope that I can get to the knife just before my opponent gets there. This is purely because of the speed and damage type within that small window of opportunity. We'd be too close to each other at that moment for the bat to be useful without serious forethought or training.