PDA

View Full Version : eye drill locator template

Sandman_Bravo
02-13-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm looking for Otter's (or any other) eye locator template. I've searched but can't find any viable links or info. If anyone has one; can you give me a link or pm me. Thanx in advance.

shunut
02-13-2011, 09:26 AM
I have it. Let me see if I can find it and I will post it or email it to you

vikingshadow
02-13-2011, 09:26 AM
What's the website that used to sell the t board? I think that guy has the template to them...might be a link in my signature link.

vikingshadow
02-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Whups! Shu beat me to it...

Sandman_Bravo
02-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Scenario dreams used to have the templete (which is the link in your Spimmy guide= no longer valid) as well as the infamous Otter. Remember those days?-lol!
I don't think there's a current link to any one who has that template.

SundragonPPS
02-13-2011, 02:22 PM
I would not suggest using a template. When you print them out they're not to scale. Even if you could get one to scale it's only completely accurate for the marker it was made from.

Your best bet is to make your own calculations/measurements based on the marker you're using. Use masking tape on the marker body to mark the hole placements as I did in the "Add a gauge to a VA" article @ SPPS. Make the holes for the eyes dead center of the feedneck hole and about 3/32" to 1/8" at most from the bottom of the breech cavity. The other threaded hole placements will depend on the eye cover you use and where the detents are or will be.

Sandman_Bravo
02-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanx SPPS!

shunut
02-13-2011, 09:12 PM
I noticed that everything didn't seem to line up perfectly on my first marker I drilled for eyes. So I resorted to only using 1 side of the template. With the holes that were on the template for the detent and detent screw hole, I could line those up, tape it on the marker and it worked well that way. Only other suggestion I would make is, if you have access to a drill press, use it. If you don't try to find one. I wouldn't try to drill them with a regular drill if my life depended on it.

Sandman_Bravo
02-14-2011, 03:51 AM
Thanx for everyone's help and input. I haven't received the board and eyes yet; they are coming from England. I am just trying to get everything together beforehand.

DFSniper
02-14-2011, 07:40 AM
that reminds me, i need to get that AMG drilled for eyes. but i dont have access to tools :(

Sandman_Bravo
02-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Just got the board & eyes in the mail a few minutes ago. Orange eyes & the Lucky Spitfire board. I have to make or buy some eye covers next. Older intimidator eye covers work, right?

dizzy
02-14-2011, 03:18 PM
I believe 2k2 timmy detents are the ones that work best. This thread reminds me I need to drill my Electra for eyes. I have everything I need besides a drill press >.<

If ya need Timmy detents, I have some Kilas for sale that are brand new.

DFSniper
02-14-2011, 06:02 PM
2k2 eye covers will work on any of the bodies with the milling in between the tubes (so anything prior to the electra acs and pilot)

dizzy
02-14-2011, 07:58 PM
^Really? I didn't know that. I saw an Electra ACS with 2k2 detents on it a while back so I thought those fit all Spyders.

DFSniper
02-14-2011, 10:05 PM
you have to mill the covers down. i can take some pics tomorrow of the ones i have laying around for the AMG

Sandman_Bravo
02-15-2011, 03:51 AM
2k2 eye covers will work on any of the bodies with the milling in between the tubes (so anything prior to the electra acs and pilot)

I'm working with a Pilot ACS body, so the 2002 intinidator covers won't work? Also, if anyone has a set they'd like to part with- let me know. Black is preferable. Thanx again for everyone's help. :D

dizzy
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
That sounds great, DF. 'Cause I bought 2k2s for my Electra ACS so I gotta make them work haha.

And PM me, Sandman. I got a pair that I can part with. Silver, though.

druid
02-15-2011, 08:36 PM
little late to the party but here it is:

15" screen:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/My%20mods%20and%20ideas/eye_install-1.jpg

17" screen

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/My%20mods%20and%20ideas/eye_install.jpg

1MB size

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/My%20mods%20and%20ideas/eye_install-2.jpg

fatkidfrompbaz
02-16-2011, 06:22 PM
That is one super sized template.

druid
02-17-2011, 12:05 AM
LOL...yeah it is. I uploaded them to Photobucket in those sizes so people could manipulate them up/down at their own leisure or need.

Sandman_Bravo
02-17-2011, 04:20 AM
Looking at the template; it appears that the eye holes are slightly forward of the feedneck tube. I'm going to use the template in conjunction with taking measurements and locating where I want everything. From a logical working staandpoint, having the eyes 1/16"-1/8" ahead or forward of the feedneck opening may be a good thing.

DFSniper
02-17-2011, 06:53 AM
druid, in those templates, i dont see a hole for the detents... there should be 3 holes on each side: eye, detent and screw. now, you may fit a detent in the big opening, but it'll get shot out right away. that still leaves the lack of a detent on the other side.

i think an updated template is needed!

oh, and my whole reason for typing that was to see what sandman said about the eye holes. looks to me like the eyes are slightly behind the feed tube, not in front of it. the eye holes should be centered along the feed tube or slightly behind it because you will have rollback. too much rollback and your gun wont recognize the eye. although this can be solved by gluing an oring to the face of the bolt

druid
02-17-2011, 02:29 PM
druid, in those templates, i dont see a hole for the detents... there should be 3 holes on each side: eye, detent and screw. now, you may fit a detent in the big opening, but it'll get shot out right away. that still leaves the lack of a detent on the other side.

i think an updated template is needed!

oh, and my whole reason for typing that was to see what sandman said about the eye holes. looks to me like the eyes are slightly behind the feed tube, not in front of it. the eye holes should be centered along the feed tube or slightly behind it because you will have rollback. too much rollback and your gun wont recognize the eye. although this can be solved by gluing an oring to the face of the bolt

This template was designed by Otter. If you look at the right side of the template, there is in fact a spot for a detent...although I'd submit its for the "new style" round button styled detents found on the Esprit/Imagine series markers [as opposed to the rubber Timmy "nubs"]. The circle surrounded by "parenthesis" is the detent cover screw hole....the older version using the nubs used two cover screws to hole the detent plate on to the body.

Otter even said on his site that this template isn't 100% for every marker...that you would have to do some kind of fiddling with it. At least it was saved for those needing a basis on which to start doing the mods...