PDA

View Full Version : Moving Overseas

marvin-martian
08-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Recently I found out that my backup plan for life might not exactly work out. Still waiting on news about it, but it has got me worried. In recent years I have become increasingly dissatisfied with this country, and watching the news in this time has never lead to more than anger/frustration/sadness. There have been thoughts about taking a vacation to another country, but with every life plan I had falling on itself, there really wouldn't be much to come back to other than some stupid dead end job. Why not stay somewhere I might actually enjoy more than here?

I'm wondering what it would take to move somewhere without knowing anybody beforehand. I feel it isn't as simple as browsing for an apartment and packing up to go. Also, how difficult do you think it would be to get by, at least at the beginning, without knowing hardly any of the language at all (this may vary). How would I get a decent enough job? How would I read maps? How would I watch tv/get books/software?

I really appreciate any help anyone might have to give. Thanks.

DFSniper
08-12-2010, 07:44 PM
3.5 hours and no comments?

first off marv, make sure you can get a work visa in whatever country you plan to move to, and that your passport is renewed so its good for a few years, i know it can take a while to get stuff like that taken care of, adn you dont want to get deported for an expired passport.

edit: POST #8000!!!!!!

UKwithPride
08-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Move to Portland with me.

hellfire
08-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Just DO IT.... If you are worried about assimilating into a completely different culture and If you have nothing holding you to where you are at now...move somewhere else in this country ; go to some small town in the mid west for a year or two (or to Portland with UKwithPride, its nice there!). Or try Canada (they aren't that different and you may pick up french).

DRAGON
08-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Recently I found out that my backup plan for life might not exactly work out. Still waiting on news about it, but it has got me worried.

Eh, shizzle happens. So what was the initial plan of life before you devised this backup that you have not told us about here? For that matter, what is the backup plan that isn't working? You might find that nothing works out as planned. That's the trick of life, casting all those roadblocks of life aside and turning what might seem total disaster into something at least acceptable. Maybe that's what you're doing here? -

In recent years I have become increasingly dissatisfied with this country, and watching the news in this time has never lead to more than anger/frustration/sadness.

Suggestion: watch less TV :D I know exactly what you're saying and have a feeling you're not the only one depressed about all the crap that's being thrown upon us all.......so don't feel alone. I have not owned or watched TV with all its depressing news since I moved to Florida. Watching all this crap every day just adds to your feelings of helplessness. My suggestion: throw it in the garbage where it belongs and you might find more time to work on a lifes plan that just may work out for you -

There have been thoughts about taking a vacation to another country, but with every life plan I had falling on itself, there really wouldn't be much to come back to other than some stupid dead end job. Why not stay somewhere I might actually enjoy more than here?

Thing about that is, if you have no cash initially to support yourself till you do get something together, how would you live until you do? Do you have a career, special skills? If you want to relocate, sometimes just moving to another state is like moving to another country. At least then if it didin't work out you wouldn't need to worry about how you're going to get across a larger mass of water back to a safe familiar area -

I'm wondering what it would take to move somewhere without knowing anybody beforehand. I feel it isn't as simple as browsing for an apartment and packing up to go. Also, how difficult do you think it would be to get by, at least at the beginning, without knowing hardly any of the language at all (this may vary). How would I get a decent enough job? How would I read maps? How would I watch tv/get books/software?

I think if you attempted to move to another country, they would ask you the exact same questions. How would you answer them? - ;)

marvin-martian
08-15-2010, 08:26 PM
ok. i will read thi s int the morning

marvin-martian
08-16-2010, 06:54 AM
Eh, shizzle happens. So what was the initial plan of life before you devised this backup that you have not told us about here? For that matter, what is the backup plan that isn't working? You might find that nothing works out as planned. That's the trick of life, casting all those roadblocks of life aside and turning what might seem total disaster into something at least acceptable. Maybe that's what you're doing here? -
Initial plan was to transfer to this school and study International Relations with the hopes of going into the intelligence field. And then I was turned down to any college worth my time. So then I finally got serious about enlisting in the military and doing intel there. I rocked all of my recruiter's practice ASVABS, leading everyone to tell me if I do that well on the real thing I can do whatever I wanted pretty much. Anyway, turns out my speech could very well trip the medical requirements, denying me from entry. So now I have no real job, no real school, no real means to move forward.

Suggestion: watch less TV :D I know exactly what you're saying and have a feeling you're not the only one depressed about all the crap that's being thrown upon us all.......so don't feel alone. I have not owned or watched TV with all its depressing news since I moved to Florida. Watching all this crap every day just adds to your feelings of helplessness. My suggestion: throw it in the garbage where it belongs and you might find more time to work on a lifes plan that just may work out for you -

It's more the nations attitude towards everything that irritates me. The TV just tends to give me something to point my frustrations at.

Thing about that is, if you have no cash initially to support yourself till you do get something together, how would you live until you do? Do you have a career, special skills? If you want to relocate, sometimes just moving to another state is like moving to another country. At least then if it didin't work out you wouldn't need to worry about how you're going to get across a larger mass of water back to a safe familiar area -

This was totally not meant to be an immediate thing. A year down the line at the earliest. You're right about another state, I have considered this too. I suppose there's just something more charming to me about Japan or Germany than Boston.

I think if you attempted to move to another country, they would ask you the exact same questions. How would you answer them? - ;)
Well that's why I'm asking others. I would like to know how to answer these before deciding on anything.

dot

UKwithPride
08-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Move to Portland with me.

Offer still stands. <3