PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help before I boot this thing out the window

Muddytaco
07-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I have two pc's running side by side, one for photo/video editing and one to run all the other bs crap I use. Anyway I usually have both running 24/7 but the A/c went out so I shut them both down so they wouldn't overheat.

Anyways guy comes and repairs A/c today so I go to turn the pc's back on, everything powers right up minus my old tower that I use for b.s. work.

So far I have done:
-Tried it in another outlet/power strip
-changed out power cord for spare I had
-checked fuse/power surge switch on power supply (green LED on back still lights up as usual)
-disconnected everything and put back on
-checked CMOS battery (still at 2.77 volts, should be fine since its a 3 volt battery)
-checked power switch and even tried jumping it on with a wire between the two terminals

Its driving me crazy, I have no idea what the problem is unless it just the powersupply has magically gone while not running at all.

I could take the power supply out of my newest tower to check but I really don't feel like doing that since I have the cables ran very cleanly in that machine, it would take forever to redo it all. Naturally the old old tower I have has the old style connections so it won't even fit.

Anybody got any idea at all? Its completely dead right now, fans don't power on or anything.

DFSniper
07-05-2010, 07:54 PM
thats odd... ive had that happen to me before though. left it off for a few days and she started right up.

Hob Hayward
07-05-2010, 08:16 PM
weird... nothing at all happens when your press the power button? not even an LED somewhere on the mobo or anything?

This is an obvious question but is the power switch on the psu in the on position?

Muddytaco
07-05-2010, 08:58 PM
When I press the power nothing happens, not a light, fan, etc. will even light up or spin.

After talking to bamf on aim, I have confirmed the power supply is not completely dead. If i disconnect everything and plug in a fan to molex and then jump the power supply (#14 & 15) both the fan on the molex and fan inside the PSU turn on.

I have taken the entire pc apart and inspected the motherboard for burned/shorted out spots and visually see nothing.

When putting it back together I have noticed that the power supply LED is bright green until I plug in the main harness then it goes to a very dim glow. Maybe there is something to that?

I am about ready just to let it set for the night and see what it does tomorrow.

Muddytaco
07-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Ok I busted out the multimeter and checked everything on the power leads and everything is spot on for voltage so that marks that off the list.

I am completely lost now and really have no idea what is wrong.

Muddytaco
07-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Ok i half ass a connection to my power supply in editing machine and it posted right away so it is something in the power supply that is bad, thank god.

Now I just need to run to micro center or frys and pick up a cheap power supply.

DFSniper
07-06-2010, 10:49 AM
hey, catch me on AIM, i have a 500W laying around im trying to get rid of.

Muddytaco
07-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Well **** DF I left for the eye doctor right after I posted and then stopped by frys and picked up a new coolermaster 500 watt PSU :(, it only cost me $24 after in mail in rebate so I guess I can't complain that much. Plus I got pinnacle studio HD ultimate for free after mail in rebates:D

Anyways, with new power supply it fired right up. Going to bust open old one and see if i can see what the problem was.

Kind of guessing the stock cooling had something to do with it since it only had one exhaust fan in the case and one in the psu so I picked up two 120mm fans at frys and chopped the case to allow way better venting:

http://www.dliveleyphotography.com/photos/925877173_mGrF7-L.jpg

DFSniper
07-06-2010, 06:33 PM
what did you use to cut the holes? looks clean!