PDA

View Full Version : How do I make an MR2 ridiculously fast

jeffx
04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Hey guys I need expertise here.

I was out at my favorite field recently getting outclassed by all of the spoolies and high end guns.

I LOVE my mr2 and do not have $1000 to get a Bob Long M-tac, so how do I make my gun shoot almost as fast as the big boys?????

Is there a way to get a mr2 up to 25-30 bps?

oldironmudder
04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Build a Spimmy.

xsvly-fat
04-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Buy a Timmy.

shunut
04-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Sell it and buy and Ego, DM, Timmy, ect....

Sorry, no offense to Spyders or the MR2, but its just not going to happen, not 25-30bps.

andrewseveraid
04-19-2010, 04:52 PM
keep as backup, and buy a new gun.

paintballkid0206
04-19-2010, 05:01 PM
any of the above ideas will work. but dont worry about speed. what you dont have in firepower, make up with strategy, agility, and all-around skill. I have an MR1 (stock) and a Pilot (stock). i can keep up with the guys at my field. you dont need to spray a case a game to be good. plan your moves and one-ball 'em. that's just my 2 cents :)

sneekypete
04-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I agree with the paintballkid. I use my pump about 75% of the time and I seem to do ok. You do need to use your brain alot more and think things through before you act on them. Having only limited shots really works on your skill. Now after saying all that you will never get in the 30 bps range with the MR-2 with out gutting the whole thing but you can get to the 20-25 bps by changing the board in it and making sure you have a hopper that can keep up.

THUNDR
04-19-2010, 07:02 PM
See above 2 posts

Hob Hayward
04-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Sell it and buy and Ego, DM, Timmy, ect....

Sorry, no offense to Spyders or the MR2, but its just not going to happen, not 25-30bps.

You should know better than to say that shu.. Its possible, just difficult and expensive... and not worth it.

Also I second (third? fourth?) the statement that you don't need firepower to do well. Learn to play up tactics as best you can and you'll do a lot better. Then again, I have experienced times when the speedball kiddies come to play on a woodsball course without enough cover such that its really difficult to stay in the game if their paint slinging goes unmatched.

paintballkid0206
04-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Hob Hayward, i semi-agree with the last part of your post. it's nice to have a decent ammount of firepower (mech/low-end electro) if you need it, but you dont need 25bps. spray-and-pray takes alot of the fun, strategy, and skill out of the sport. but that can be a never-ending arguement for me, so i should leave it at that. :P

slim and shady
04-19-2010, 09:01 PM
The isea of paintball is to work together a few people really slinging paint are as easy to take out as anyone else, at least in woodsball or scenario. The name of the game is flanking and working together as a team. You do that and work on your skill your fine.

bigred76
04-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Bring it, Shawn. You come into my playground and we'll see who walks out the loser... LOL.

In all honesty, it isn't the speed of the marker so long as it can hit the double digits. I prefer a marker that's consistent, has little recoil, and gets good efficiency. A Vibe would be a very viable option, as they run about $80 used. You just need a good hopper, compressed air, and a decent aftermarket barrel.

shunut
04-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I think the other consideration that we are missing is, Where are you going to shoot 25-30bps? It has been a long time since I've been on a field that isn't capped at 15bps if not lower.

As far as it being possible but very expensive to reach 25-30bps, I will stand by my statement. Prove me wrong, I'd like to see a MR-2 shoot 25-30 BALLS per second, only cycling doesn't count. Also, remember that once you start adding Timmy or Ego or parts from any other gun, its no longer a Spyder MR-2. With the available parts for the MR-2, you aren't going to reach 25-30bps.

slim and shady
04-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Your welcome up here anytime Red! lets see how far your run and gun style gets you! Or at least im hopping you will take the offer, dont make go through the hassle of getting a passport. As far as the BPS of a spyder over the chronos at our home feild it read my MR2 at 25, though im not going to deny it very well could have bein a missread in the chrono. I havent tried to actually see what it would come out at, just messing around when I was having trouble with my remote line starving the marker for air.

Hob Hayward
04-19-2010, 10:26 PM
I think the other consideration that we are missing is, Where are you going to shoot 25-30bps? It has been a long time since I've been on a field that isn't capped at 15bps if not lower.

As far as it being possible but very expensive to reach 25-30bps, I will stand by my statement. Prove me wrong, I'd like to see a MR-2 shoot 25-30 BALLS per second, only cycling doesn't count. Also, remember that once you start adding Timmy or Ego or parts from any other gun, its no longer a Spyder MR-2. With the available parts for the MR-2, you aren't going to reach 25-30bps.

If I had money and time I would take that challenge.. too bad I'm in college... both out the window :(

But yeah, 25-30 bps is impossible to achieve with your fingers anyways so its basically a moot point.

One of my favorite guns to play woodsball with was my mech cocker, it was smooth, accurate, quiet and had enough speed for me. Probably gonna have to get another one sometime... Til then I'll just be rocking the phantom.

bigred76
04-19-2010, 11:15 PM
We shall see, Shawn, we shall see...

Hob, still got that PMR?

Shunut, I'd take that bet. I wouldn't doubt I could get one going that fast, but I'm not so sure about if I could keep it from chopping.0

Hob Hayward
04-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Oh I certainly do, I love it :) no flaws I've ever experienced with it, it's fastttt (love to goldwave/audcity it sometime and see how fast I can shoot. Two refs have thought I was ramping...)

I think I've only played with it a few times though :( been collecting dust in my bag for way too long now..

jeffx
04-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Thanx for all of the responses so far....

As to tactics we are already using them and working together as a team we are doing that as well. In fact I bunkered, surrendered almost barrel tagged a guy just this weekend because of all of the above mentioned things. I just know that some times it is nice to be able to sling some serious paint!!!!

What are the beginning steps to increasing my rate of fire??? One person said build a Spimmy... I have ALWAYS been interested in that but don't kow how to go about it. (I am a very mechanically minded and skilled). Changing the board, awesome!! To what though??? Can the Bob Long 4 C eye laser system be put into a spyder??

These are the answers I am hoping you guys can help me with.....

shunut
04-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Shunut, I'd take that bet. I wouldn't doubt I could get one going that fast, but I'm not so sure about if I could keep it from chopping.0

Well, there you go. Once you start chopping you are no longer shooting BPS.

Thanx for all of the responses so far....

As to tactics we are already using them and working together as a team we are doing that as well. In fact I bunkered, surrendered almost barrel tagged a guy just this weekend because of all of the above mentioned things. I just know that some times it is nice to be able to sling some serious paint!!!!

What are the beginning steps to increasing my rate of fire??? One person said build a Spimmy... I have ALWAYS been interested in that but don't kow how to go about it. (I am a very mechanically minded and skilled). Changing the board, awesome!! To what though??? Can the Bob Long 4 C eye laser system be put into a spyder??

These are the answers I am hoping you guys can help me with.....

I might be able to walk you through a Spimmy build, maybe :D

oldironmudder
04-20-2010, 09:31 AM
I might be able to walk you through a Spimmy build, maybe :D

LOL... after what you built, you better be able to. There are several of us on here that could help you build a Spimmy.

jeffx
04-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I am totally interested!!!! How much is the cost of the conversion to a spimmy roughly? Can it be done to my MR2? Is there as guide or tutorial???

jeffx
04-20-2010, 12:28 PM
i just found a vikes page on line showing how to make spimmy's. really cool.... i am curious how to make it work with a my mr2

xsvly-fat
04-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Oh I certainly do, I love it :) no flaws I've ever experienced with it, it's fastttt (love to goldwave/audcity it sometime and see how fast I can shoot. Two refs have thought I was ramping...)

I think I've only played with it a few times though :( been collecting dust in my bag for way too long now..

I miss my PMR. That thing was so fast. The only thing I didn't like about it was the battery harness and the air blowing in your face.
I am totally interested!!!! How much is the cost of the conversion to a spimmy roughly? Can it be done to my MR2? Is there as guide or tutorial???

Vikes page is the best but you already found that :p

For cost I'm think it would be ATLEAST $200. I'm not sure if you can use the MR body either...

oldironmudder
04-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Cost will vary alot. Picking up a complete & working Gen2 Timmy will be the cheapest. That will range from $100 - $200

xsvly-fat
04-20-2010, 08:12 PM
If you're planning on doing it I suggest a 2k5 Timmy. They're alot nicer.

sneekypete
04-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Changing the board, awesome!! To what though???
I can't help you with biulding a Spimmy but I put a Virtue board in mine and it only took a little modding. If I remember correctly it was Slim who told me how to do it but I am not sure on that one. I am pretty sure it is in a post some where but I don't have the time to look right now Sorry:(

xsvly-fat
04-20-2010, 09:05 PM
It probably was. The only thing a board will do is give you more firing modes to choose from. Triggers help if you aren't looking to spend alot of money.

jeffx
04-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Thanx for your response xsvly-fat... I have been researching the conversion, but everyone works with the 2K2, is the 2K5 different???? Will the 2K5 work? I would like to make the conversion using as many up to date parts as possible but I want to finish with a working marker as well....

xsvly-fat
04-21-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm 90% sure you can. I had a 2k2 Timmy with a 2k5 frame so I don't see why you couldn't.

oldironmudder
04-21-2010, 01:17 PM
The only real major "issue" I see is the frame. I know the MR2/3 frames are different but dont really know how they are. Could you snap a few pictures? As far as Timmy parts what will drop in, Whole ram sleeve assembly (sleeve, ram cap, ram, poppet) The valve spring will have to be for the MR2 since I assume it has a larger full body valve chamber. A 2002 style bolt will drop in after you mill the top of the body for the bolt pin. I think someone else said something about front blocks & regulators, if you wanted more Timmy, have the lower tube milled so you could bolt in a front block. That would let you screw in both the LPR & HPR. Personally, I would do something that would keep the MR looks. Find a normal ASA to 1/8 adapter, screw that into the body for the for grip. The maybe work on the front cap thingy for the lower tube to mount a LPR or even tap the side of the body for it.

xsvly-fat
04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
There's a picture of a MR1 Spimmy and that looked really good. However I haven't seen a MR2 Spimmy. You might have to get another body too.

Mike "ball dodger"
04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
I killed 9 guys with my semi auto pistol with a 10 rd mag and no extra mags

food for thought

xsvly-fat
04-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I play pump :) beats spending 80 bucks on paint.

slim and shady
04-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I play pump :) beats spending 80 bucks on paint.

Improves your game really fast too! And IMO is alot more fun. Wish we had pump only tournaments around here.

xsvly-fat
04-22-2010, 09:52 PM
It really does, before I played only pump I borrowed my friends pump for one game and I didn't give it back for the entire day. I think they do some pump tournaments around here but I'm not sure.

sneekypete
04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Wish we had pump only tournaments around here
If they did Slim I would come up and play. I have heard a rumor that there is one in Calgary if I find out for sure I will let you know:)

slim and shady
04-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks!