PDA

View Full Version : Netbook for College

interceptorMR2
04-17-2010, 04:04 PM
So I've been looking for a netbook for college, are there any suggestions out there? I'm specifically looking at netbooks even though I already have a laptop because I want something that's really easy to carry around, so cheap laptops are sorta out of the question. I'm hoping to keep the price range around anything from the cheapest (decent) one I can find to no more than a $400 one. I did a little research, and found that it probably isn't smart to get my netbook with the Windows 7 starter edition because it can only run 3 programs at once. Not that I'm looking for an on-the-go entertainment device or anything, but 3 programs is around the minimum of programs that I'm running at once at any given time. I took a good look at the Dell Mini 10, versus the HP mini 210 and 210 HD cause they seemed decently cheap, but I'm having a hard time choosing between those, or just going with something else like an Asus. Any ideas or experience with these? Thanks!

DFSniper
04-17-2010, 09:53 PM
acer one is great.

interceptorMR2
04-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Which one exactly? I guess I don't quite get the difference between most of these netbooks other than design and that companies just charge different prices for the same thing...

DFSniper
04-18-2010, 07:07 AM
acer aspire one. $298.

interceptorMR2
04-18-2010, 07:22 AM
cool thanks, I'll look into that one :up:

Hob Hayward
04-18-2010, 09:00 AM
My dad has the Dell Mini 10 which he seems to like alot, you might want to look into dell's refurb/outlet thingy and or their academic website, you can get stuff significantly cheaper on there.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/eep/epp_lt_mini/fs.aspx?refid=epp_lt_mini&s=eep&cs=2236&~ck=mn

The $340 one on there looks really good to me because it has a much higher res screen than most netbooks, if thats something that concerns you.

bigred76
04-18-2010, 09:57 AM
A netbook really isn't for you if you can't stand running only 3 applications at once... The damn thing isn't powerful enough for much more unless you're running something like ChromeOS. My brother just picked up a Toshiba 300 series and it's doing just fine for him.

interceptorMR2
04-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Yeah the mini 10 looked pretty good for the price, I've heard some decent things about it, and I think it's cheaper than HP's stuff.

Point taken red, I guess I won't necessarily be using it quite that much, but I guess I was just turned away because of the limit. I mean, really it would just be used for classes and stuff, web, email, and word docs. Would it still be smarter to go with XP regardless, or is Windows 7, even a starter edition, a must have?

bigred76
04-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Personally, W7. XP was nice, but W7, even the Starter is where it's at now. I went back to XP the other day and cringed at it.

DFSniper
04-18-2010, 10:27 AM
either will work fine. and resolution isnt really a problem since the screen is so small anyway.

Hob Hayward
04-18-2010, 01:53 PM
either will work fine. and resolution isnt really a problem since the screen is so small anyway.

Idk, good resolution is a must for me. The 1024x600 screens that alot of netbooks have won't display the full width of a lot of modern websites without scrolling to the side.

I also like windows 7, but I have a feeling the 3 app limit would be annoying as hell... Could always just stick ubuntu on there or something. Maybe the netbooks version?

timmyshoota
04-18-2010, 04:29 PM
This is why I didn't get a netbook for school and got a 13in Macbook Pro. Its small and easily portable, and can run every application at one time if I want. Price is 3-4 times the cost of a netbook though.

Hob Hayward
04-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Truth, theres also ultraportables and stuff that have the formfactor of a netbook but are much more powerful, but are usually even more expensive than the 13" macbook pro.

timmyshoota
04-18-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll never buy a PC again after making the switch to Mac.

OS X = <3.

Hob Hayward
04-18-2010, 09:17 PM
lol good grief.. another mac fanboii.........

I'm prettymuch impartial to OS, I got a dell laptop last year before going to college for mad cheap, got me 8hrs of battery life at the time though (alot less now after mannnny charge cycles). It's triple booted with winxp, ubuntu and osx. Still does what I need most of the time.

All the OS's have their place, but I really do like windows 7. MS did an excellent job after their past failures.. and it's easily the best OS they've made thus far. Wayyy more secure than xp, and slightly more efficient too. Of course I'm typing this from my Core i7 desktop in ubuntu... oh well. Eventually it'll have a real copy of windows and a copy of snow leopard (currently has leopard, but I never bothered to make it fully functional... don't really have any application for it anyways other than bragging rights, everything I use also runs in windows, or only runs in windows).

Anyways, apple shanks you in the gut for hardware costs (claimed OS superiority makes up the price dif?), thus I personally won't be buying one anytime soon.

interceptorMR2
04-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Ok so here's the next question... how well would W7 run on only 1GB RAM? That or should I just be looking around for a netbook with upgradable RAM?

DFSniper
04-18-2010, 10:19 PM
it will run, but probably not as well as it could. you'd have to disable a lot of aeroglass stuff, but thats mainly a graphics issue.

bigred76
04-19-2010, 01:12 AM
If its running Starter, its optimized to work already without all the fancy Aero features. Its essentially a much more reliable XP that has some but not all of the W7 appearance. I have 4GB of ram in my desktop currently, and in Windows 7 Home Premium with all the fancy **** running it typically is at about 20-35% RAM in use (about 1GB). Take off the memory hoarding features and it'd work just fine with 1GB.

Chris, noone likes fanboys who pay way too much.

interceptorMR2
04-19-2010, 10:55 AM
"I'll buy anything that's shiny and made by Apple." :dodgy:
Anyone familiar with the Macbook Wheel? lol

Okay so I guess I won't really worry too much about the operating system. So another thing that came up was the solid state drives. Are those worth the extra cost? I know its "safer" but considering I don't plan on going through some big action scene chase in between classes, is it really that big of a deal? I mean, all the reviews I've read have called it a must-have, especially since for a netbook you don't really need a ton of room for such basic stuff.

DFSniper
04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
i wouldnt worry about it. not like you'll be doing a lot of loading with your netbook.

Hob Hayward
04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Some netbooks like the original eeepc have "solid state" drives which are basically just compact flash being used as a hard drive. It cuts down on size, power and cost, but don't mistake them with the much higher performance solid state drives that you can buy for regular laptops and desktops these days. One of those drives will easily cost as much as a netbook.

It really comes down to use, if you like to have your music with you (and you have a decent amount) you'll want a disk based hard drive, if size is not an issue you can use whatever, a 16gig flash based drive would probably be fine.

Hob Hayward
04-19-2010, 11:48 AM
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/33140?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SlickdealsnetFP+%28SlickDeals .net+Frontpage%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Just saw this, good deals to be found... refurb + 20% off = victory.

interceptorMR2
04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Cool, thanks a ton guys.

Dell's outlet mini 10s are mostly "Promise Pink" ones haha... how exciting...

I think having the lower res screen might bother me a bit, so I'll look into getting that HD 1366 x 768 screen instead, assuming I have the wiggle room to do that. I'm not really supposed to get my netbook until late summer before I head off, mainly because I'm REALLY supposed to be trying to pay for everything else...